daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 18th, 2014, 04:18 PM   #7801
The-Real-Link
The-Real-Link!!

Likes (Received): 300

Yeah, even if super towers tend to follow any economic "crash", I'd figure that China has so many people and is so huge that it may buck the trend. They've been increasing height rapidly so if any developments stay on course, I wouldn't be surprised if we see the tallest tower end up in China within the next 10-15 years. Even if it doesn't pass KT by floor or occupied height, until a more robust system than the Y plan is made, 1KM or so may be a reasonable limit without branching the footprint more.

Maybe it's watching all those old megastructures shows but for anything pushing significantly over a Kilometer, I keep envisioning something like Sky City or Nakheel Tower - something that's more of a living-within-the-structure rather than the structure being separate from the livable space (ala Core and Occupied Space) now.

True w/Broad Group as well. There's a chance a futuristic mega-block type tower could also claim the tallest title. It may not be super elegant but in a contest where height alone wins, it's certainly possible.

Anyway sorry for being OT but hopefully we'll have more KT photos soon.

Sponsored Links
Old May 18th, 2014, 04:54 PM   #7802
NanoMini
Wat's price of the earth?

Likes (Received): 2533

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
Very tall skyscrapers contribute greatly to these three things.
It's not certainly because the building can be built by foreign experts. Many hotels or buildings are maybe placed in your city, however they are owned by others.
However, we like to look city scenery. If your city had the same building, you would probably pride of it.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post

Last edited by NanoMini; May 18th, 2014 at 05:01 PM.
NanoMini no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2014, 05:11 PM   #7803
Gudavalli

Likes (Received): 5125

May 18th by Gemramz Rameso

Old May 18th, 2014, 10:04 PM   #7804
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6530

2nd wing poured

They're progressing fast!
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2014, 01:41 AM   #7805
DFDalton
Banished from SSP

Likes (Received): 127

At current rates of construction, I almost expect this to open before WTC1.

Construction of nearly all infrastructure in the U.S. seems to have slowed to an absolute crawl in the past few decades. Is it over-regulation? Union work rules designed to maximize paid labor hours? I suspect it's a little of both.

I've started noticing as I drive around the midwest U.S. that road rebuilding projects which should have been completed in a single season now last for two or three - causing excessive disruption and unnecessary lost time and productivity. There is an intersection of 3 two-lane roads that is being widened and resurfaced around where I live that is literally into year 4 of construction!

I am convinced a building of this scale can never be attempted in the U.S. now because it would take longer than the pyamids took to build.
DFDalton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2014, 01:51 AM   #7806
weidncol
WTC Enthusiast/Researcher

Likes (Received): 4623

You're kidding me right? 1 WTC is already largely completed and will be opening at the end of this year.
Old May 19th, 2014, 02:00 AM   #7807
webeagle12

Likes (Received): 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFDalton View Post

Construction of nearly all infrastructure in the U.S. seems to have slowed to an absolute crawl in the past few decades. Is it over-regulation? Union work rules designed to maximize paid labor hours? I suspect it's a little of both.

I've started noticing as I drive around the midwest U.S. that road rebuilding projects which should have been completed in a single season now last for two or three - causing excessive disruption and unnecessary lost time and productivity. There is an intersection of 3 two-lane roads that is being widened and resurfaced around where I live that is literally into year 4 of construction!

I am convinced a building of this scale can never be attempted in the U.S. now because it would take longer than the pyamids took to build.
Welcome to year 2007
webeagle12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2014, 02:25 AM   #7808
4npower
Rooftop Shooter

Likes (Received): 989

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFDalton View Post

4npower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2014, 04:27 AM   #7809
DFDalton
Banished from SSP

Likes (Received): 127

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4npower View Post
A "slight" exageration, of course. My point is this:

My interest in skyscrapers was born in the wake of the 9/11/01 attacks. At that time, I could scarcely imagine that in 2014 I would still be waiting to see a SINGLE BUILDING completed on the site. Surely, I thought, American resolve and pride would lead to a quick rebuilding, and that the replacements would be stunning and iconic. Instead, we get timid value-engineered compromises. Two of the four buildings may not even be complete before I die. And before a single tower is finished, the Port Authority spends so much on a memorial and museum ($1 billion) that they have to include a gift shop selling tacky trinkets to pay for it.

It's embarrassing, especially compared to this Kingdom Tower which seems to be progressing at a very quick pace. Sorry for getting off track with the comment, but I'm just amazed and a little jealous of how quickly this tower is being built.
DFDalton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2014, 04:32 AM   #7810
weidncol
WTC Enthusiast/Researcher

Likes (Received): 4623

Tower 3 may be built before you know it

Anyway, back on topic!
Old May 19th, 2014, 10:09 AM   #7811
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerZavatar View Post

bin talal would not start or even propose a tower, more than concepts, before kingdom tower is done i think, so it will still be a while if anything comes out of that.

burj mubarak probably isn't more likely that Qingdao Skycity being able to get started. i havn't heard the news, but i think it seems very unlikely for it to come back, however it would be amazing to see it coming back, it basically had a roof height up at 1000m. if they want to get taller than kingdom tower they would need to increase their building however.

nakheel tower coming back would be a dream. with dubai having such a come back and even building a 660m+ tower again, it doesn't even seem that unlikely that they try to give it another try, but really without any news this is just wild guessing as for any other dead project to come back.

Azerbaijan Tower still seems so unlikely to me, it really is hard to say if they can do it or just do it to get media attention for their project. the design is not by a big architectural firm and it seems rather unlikely. but they just keep saying stuff and assuring us that they plan to build this tower.

china is putting out a lot of towers that seem to get taller and taller by the year, with in 2008 SWFC and 2010 3 other ~450m buildings being finished. with the next wave 450m buildings seem to become a normal height for B Tier cities and 600m buildings are now coming for the big cities, starting with Shanghai Tower and CTF(although a bit smaller) nearly topped out and Ping An, Goldin Finance on the rise. Now we seem to get more proposals that are getting close to 700m or are even taller, Century Plaza is even under construction already. if this trend continues and in one wave we get a tower that is really standing out of the others, which is likely since getting the world's tallest title adds a lot of prestige, i can see a proposal coming up that has good chances to get build.
Well, I have stressed those are merely potential candidates. I don't think any of them have more than say 30% of chances of getting actually build, but those are the only serious proposals to beat the worlds tallest title and still not officially cancelled. I think theoretically, if there is a will, any of them have a fair chance of beating kingdom tower by 2030. Of course I too wouldn't be surprised if china would propose something extremely tall finally but to this moment, except some broad towers, they still haven't.

As to Mubarak tower it was more a concept design what we've seen so the height is little issue - they still would need to design it. Few years ago we heard a canadian firm was going to work on a new masterplan for the Silk City and the recent news reveals the design is ready. Also, it seems the Kuwait government passed some amendment very recently that is about to help development of the Silk City.

Here is the link to Silk City thread at ssc:
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...332488&page=43

And to Bin Talal. He is already making fuss about his next tower so apparently normal logic doesn't apply to him
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2014, 12:39 PM   #7812
HoneyDaddy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 299

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrykus View Post
...we heard a canadian firm was going to work on a new masterplan for the Silk City and the recent news reveals the design is ready.
Besides, KT's masterplan is frankly a piece of shit! The encircling buildings 440m long... - Really? Architects, I mean, seriously?!?

HoneyDaddy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2014, 12:44 PM   #7813
HoneyDaddy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 299

I wonder, if Adrian+Gordon architects are even reading this thread... If they even care about anything except their fame?..

HoneyDaddy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2014, 01:36 PM   #7814
patrykus

You do realize the master plan is just well... a masterplan? The guy who posted it stated explicitly those renders are only to show height of certain areas of the project not designs of particular buildings
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

Old May 19th, 2014, 04:21 PM   #7815
4npower
Rooftop Shooter

Likes (Received): 989

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyDaddy View Post
Besides, KT's masterplan is frankly a piece of shit! The encircling buildings 440m long... - Really? Architects, I mean, seriously?!?

Do you ever have anything positive to say about anything or anyone? It's like you registered just to be a big black cloud looming over many threads. Your definitely allowed to have an opinion, but man, you are like one of the most negative people on this site

4npower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2014, 05:14 PM   #7816
patrykus

Being negative is nothing wrong as long as the criticism is constructive, but this guy is obviously here just to throw hostile posts without checking first if he can be even remotely correct.

4npower liked this post
Old May 19th, 2014, 05:56 PM   #7817
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Quote:
There are several possible candidates for next wts. Even Bin Talal himself is planning another big tower to beat himself Or so he claims at least. Next one could be Burj Mubarak Al-Kabir. I read the news very recently the Silk City project where it is going to be located is still not dead and slowly progressing. Nakheel Tower would be another one should the firm behind it decide it's again strong enough to try with it. And lastly there is Azerbaijan Tower. Have little hope for that last one but who knows, maybe they will surprise us after all

So there are at least 4 potential towers that could beat the kingdom tower before 2030
Nakheel Tower is dead, nothing will happen, not this decade at least, and that provided Expo 2020 is a huge success and business in town picks up dramatically.

Mubarak Al Kabir? - Considering how Kuwait is kicking out a very considerable part of the expats and such policies are becoming prevalent by the day, a huge project to attract more foreigners is highly unlikely.
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2014, 06:00 PM   #7818
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Quote:
Being negative is nothing wrong as long as the criticism is constructive, but this guy is obviously here just to throw hostile posts without checking first if he can be even remotely correct.
As an interior designer, he dislikes everything that is not perfectly square. Basically everything that would complicate his job, even if just a little
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2014, 07:26 PM   #7819
Gudavalli

Likes (Received): 5125

May 19th by Irshad Ahmad

Second raft has been completed.

Old May 19th, 2014, 07:27 PM   #7820
patrykus

You can never know what the future brings. Over 15 years is a lot of time and you can start construction in 6, 7 years and still finish it before 2030. Not to mention Nakheel tower's foundation is partially done.

As to burj mubarak al kabir anything can happen but the recent statements from the goverment seems contrary to what you've said.

Quote:
KUWAIT: The cabinet yesterday assigned its Legal Affairs Committee yesterday to amend a 2012 decree with the aim of pushing forward the establishment of the Silk City (Sabbiya) and Boubyan Island with the aim of turning Kuwait into a financial and commercial hub. The cabinet, chaired by the Prime Minister Sheikh Jaber Mubarak Al-Hamad Al-Sabah, said the amendment would pave way for the establishment of industrial and commercial zones, entertainment areas as well as building housing units to honor the growing housing needs of citizens. The assignment of the Legal Affairs Committee followed a briefing by Minister of State for Cabinet Affairs Sheikh Mohammad Abdullah Al-Mubarak Al-Sabah over necessary steps to push forward the development of the Silk City (Sabbiya) and Boubyan Island.

The whole project is in line with the vision of His Highness the Amir Sheikh Sabah Al-Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah to turn Kuwait into a financial and commercial hub, linking Mubarak Al-Kabeer port with the Silk City, Sheikh Mohammad said in a statement following the cabinet’s weekly meeting. — KUNA

Tags
hypertall, jeddah economic city, jeddah tower, kingdom tower, megatall, tallest