daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 5th, 2014, 06:44 PM   #7921
Hmmz

Likes (Received): 5

"KONE wins order for Saudi Arabia's Kingdom Tower, the world's tallest building"

KONE wins order for Saudi Arabia's Kingdom Tower, the world's tallest building
"KONE Corporation, press release, June 5, 2014

Jeddah Economic Co - the owner and developer of the World's Tallest Tower - Kingdom Tower and Kingdom City - in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, chaired by HRH Prince Al Waleed Bin Talal Al Saud, Chairman of Kingdom Holding Co, has selected KONE as the vertical transportation provider to deliver the world's fastest and highest double-decker elevators to Kingdom Tower.
Kingdom Tower, which is being built by Saudi Bin Laden Group, is expected to rise to the height of more than one kilometer upon completion in 2018. Featuring KONE's people flow solutions, the building will have the world's fastest double deck elevators with travel speed of over 10 m/s as well as the world's highest elevator rise at 660 meters. Kingdom Tower will house offices, a Four Seasons hotel and serviced apartments, residential apartments as well as the world's tallest observation spot.
The building will be equipped with altogether 65 KONE elevators and escalators. The order includes KONE Double Deck MiniSpace(TM) elevators with revolutionary KONE UltraRope(TM) hoisting technology. KONE UltraRope is a new high-rise elevator technology that is set to break industry limits and enable future elevator travel heights of 1 kilometer - twice the distance currently feasible. The KONE UltraRope technology eliminates the disadvantages of conventional steel rope and opens up a world of possibilities in high-rise building design.
The KONE equipment in Kingdom Tower will include 21 KONE MonoSpace® elevators, 29 KONE MiniSpace elevators, seven KONE DoubleDeck MiniSpace elevators and eight KONE TravelMaster 110 escalators. To complement the building's exclusive look, KONE will provide the customer with tailor-designed car interiors and landing doors as well as latest People Flow Intelligence solutions including KONE Destination Control Systems and premium KONE Infoscreen displays. Other special solutions include KONE E-Link(TM) remote monitoring systems, as well as an occupant evacuation operation system for emergency situations. The order includes a ten-year equipment maintenance contract.
"We have been highly impressed with KONE's innovative solutions to high-rise buildings. This is another cornerstone for a development of this magnitude and we look forward to creating this landmark building in all standards," says Mr Mounib Hammoud, CEO of Jeddah Economic Company.
"Close cooperation between all project partners, and with KONE Areeco team locally, our technical professionalism and people flow planning expertise was a winning combination in helping us land the order," comments Noud Veeger, Executive Vice President for KONE in Asia Pacific and Middle East. "We hail this project with great excitement," he adds.

Kingdom Tower is the centerpiece and first construction phase of the Kingdom City development, located along the Red Sea on the north side of Jeddah. Encompassing a construction area of 530,000m2, Kingdom Tower is designed by architect Adrian Smith and Gordon Gill Architecture and the construction of the building has been commissioned to Saudi Bin Laden Group. Dar Al Handasa is the project's construction supervisor, while E.C. Harris / Mace JV is managing the project.
KONE Areeco is KONE's Saudi Arabian joint venture company with KONE holding 50% of the shares. KONE Areeco has several flagship projects in Saudi Arabia, such as the successfully completed Makkah Royal Clock Tower Hotel in Mecca, as well as ongoing projects such as the King Abdullah Financial District in Riyadh, and the King Abdulaziz International Airport and the Headquarters Business Park in Jeddah.
The order was booked in the second quarter of 2014."

Source: http://www.kone.com/en/press/press/k...014-06-05.aspx

(emphasis mine)

CP11, pteranodon, M0S, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post

Last edited by Hmmz; June 5th, 2014 at 06:46 PM. Reason: Fixing emphasis.
Hmmz no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 5th, 2014, 07:43 PM   #7922
K.S.A
Jeddah Tower Lover

Likes (Received): 4363

The highest elevator in burj khalifa stops at 504 m

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
K.S.A no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2014, 08:04 PM   #7923
Riyadh Crusher

Likes (Received): 2295

Some Burj Khalifa facts regarding the highest occupied floor and the longest elevator distance:

Building with world's highest occupied floor: 584.5 m

World's longest travel distance elevators: 504m

From the above facts, we can expect the highest occupied floor in KT 100 meters above the 660 meters elevator distance.So, the highest floor could be at 750 to 760 meters.

Last edited by Riyadh Crusher; June 5th, 2014 at 09:57 PM.
Riyadh Crusher no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2014, 09:20 PM   #7924
tinyslam

Likes (Received): 893

So you're going to have to walk up 100 m of stairs?

tinyslam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2014, 09:43 PM   #7925
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8242

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyslam View Post
So you're going to have to walk up 100 m of stairs?
no, you have to switch elevators in between. it only means how long the elevators are, not what altitude they start at, if i understood correctly.

KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2014, 10:00 PM   #7926
tinyslam

Likes (Received): 893

Ah that would make more sense
tinyslam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2014, 11:13 PM   #7927
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

Yep RC got it wrong. To me this elevator deal is another proof this tower's height won't go much above that 1007m height, if it go above it at all.
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2014, 01:01 AM   #7928
The-Real-Link
The-Real-Link!!

Likes (Received): 300

Well that's just what's feasible in one ultra shaft rise. Like others said, you can always transfer to a shorter shaft after 660m. But I'd imagine that secondary shaft may only access the top 20-40 floors of the building so the 100m higher guess sounds reasonable. Still, 760m or so of actual building with a spire is superb.

Don't most of the Chinese super towers like Ping-An / ST / GF117 end at occupiable heights significantly less than 600m? GF of course is flat right to the roof so that's kind of an exception.

The article carefully states that *future* elevator rises may reach 1KM in a shaft - that still doesn't sound doable right now, today. So maybe 660m is just the comfortable and safe limit that they can achieve and recommend today for the client. Doesn't mean the building can't go higher even though I'd be fine with 1,007 as well.
Old June 6th, 2014, 08:04 AM   #7929
tonttula

Likes (Received): 180

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Real-Link View Post
The article carefully states that *future* elevator rises may reach 1KM in a shaft - that still doesn't sound doable right now, today. So maybe 660m is just the comfortable and safe limit that they can achieve and recommend today for the client. Doesn't mean the building can't go higher even though I'd be fine with 1,007 as well.
As somebody who has been following Kone's UltraRope development as a investor for couple of years, the robe indeed got theoretical 1km range.

UltraRope has been under testing since 2004 in Kone's 330m testing facility. It will be by quite a margin the first full carbon fiber cable system out in the market that already got fully accepted by the US and EU regulators. Otis for example has been mainly looking at mixing carbon fibre and steel construction.

It being the very first of its kind, I think Kone also wants to play this as safe as possible.
Old June 6th, 2014, 11:52 AM   #7930
KøbenhavnK

Likes (Received): 354

The deepest mine in the world, TauTona, in South Africa is 3,9 kilometers deep and is serviced by a lift traveling at 16 meters per second (wiki-info).

I'm sure the comfort level isn't suitable for a building but it's still three times the height of KT... If it is actually one lift. I haven't been down there

KøbenhavnK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2014, 01:24 PM   #7931
The-Real-Link
The-Real-Link!!

Likes (Received): 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonttula View Post
As somebody who has been following Kone's UltraRope development as a investor for couple of years, the robe indeed got theoretical 1km range.

UltraRope has been under testing since 2004 in Kone's 330m testing facility. It will be by quite a margin the first full carbon fiber cable system out in the market that already got fully accepted by the US and EU regulators. Otis for example has been mainly looking at mixing carbon fibre and steel construction.

It being the very first of its kind, I think Kone also wants to play this as safe as possible.
Very cool, thanks for the info .

Quote:
Originally Posted by KøbenhavnK View Post
The deepest mine in the world, TauTona, in South Africa is 3,9 kilometers deep and is serviced by a lift traveling at 16 meters per second (wiki-info).

I'm sure the comfort level isn't suitable for a building but it's still three times the height of KT... If it is actually one lift. I haven't been down there
Yeah that's true; mineshafts do have deeper runs than buildings in one go, but for example I randomly came across the Soudan mine videos out in Minnesota and the engine to drive the double-decker hoist cab is gargantuan. I wonder if for buildings if making equipment of that size is simply impractical due to the size required or too expensive?

But yeah for this mine, it needs a large station just to house two elevators, let alone trying to put a 3,000+ foot reel of cable in a machine room. I mean sure, yay for modern tech in shrinking this stuff down and strengthening the cables but aside from the sheer weight, there have to be a few other reasons as to why a ~1KM run hasn't been done.

Henrich37, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post

Last edited by The-Real-Link; June 6th, 2014 at 01:34 PM.
The-Real-Link no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2014, 02:19 PM   #7932
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Real-Link View Post
Well that's just what's feasible in one ultra shaft rise. Like others said, you can always transfer to a shorter shaft after 660m. But I'd imagine that secondary shaft may only access the top 20-40 floors of the building so the 100m higher guess sounds reasonable. Still, 760m or so of actual building with a spire is superb.
The article says about elevators going up to 660m height not about a single shaft, besides 660 number is exactly the same as the the one recently revealed about the tallest occupied floor in the tower so it all seams pretty clear to me. KT won't have any easy accessible floors above that height and keeping in mind the spire already makes 3'rd of it's height I doubt they will revise it upwards much without redesigning elevator system or the whole tower for that matter.
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2014, 02:42 PM   #7933
charles54
ARCHITECT

Likes (Received): 39

the rebar cage looks so dense, theres almost no room for the concrete
charles54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2014, 08:27 PM   #7934
DubaiM

Likes (Received): 4512

Imagine that you are one of the workers, who build the spire! You would be in a hight of nearly 1000m!
Old June 6th, 2014, 08:37 PM   #7935
tonttula

Likes (Received): 180

Quote:
Originally Posted by KøbenhavnK View Post

Couple of things thing that come to mind is the costs of running that system. 1/3 of the weight comes from steel cables after 500m, and that brings a lot costs when we are talking about system that's running constantly.
Also more lubrication is needed on a system that is running constantly, again adding costs. UltraRope doesn't need any lubrication.
About the machine sizes I can't say anything, because I have no idea.

I also remember Kone mentioning that elevator downtime resulted from a wobble of the building should be severely decreases compared to steel cables. Not sure what advantage carbon fibre cable got there compared to steel.
Not surprisingly demands from elevators like these are most likely way more strict than your mineshaft elevator. Testament to Kone testing this cable since 2004, with extreme heat variations to fasten the age process before getting it approved.

Also random point, but Kone's main 350m testing facility is in a mineshaft.

Old June 7th, 2014, 07:29 AM   #7936
KingdomTower

Likes (Received): 39

When is the website going to open ??
http://www.jec-sa.com/
KingdomTower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2014, 04:19 PM   #7937
Riyadh Crusher

Likes (Received): 2295

Old June 7th, 2014, 05:02 PM   #7938
K.S.A
Jeddah Tower Lover

Likes (Received): 4363

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riyadh Crusher View Post
amazing entrance
K.S.A no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2014, 08:12 AM   #7939
HoneyDaddy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 299

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingdomTower View Post
When is the website going to open ??
http://www.jec-sa.com/
Don't be angry, maybe they don't have extra 2 kiloBucks for it, as they've spent the whole budget for the cloud effects
Old June 8th, 2014, 08:37 AM   #7940
HoneyDaddy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 299

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonttula View Post
Couple of things thing that come to mind is the costs of running that system. 1/3 of the weight comes from steel cables after 500m...
Not sure what advantage carbon fibre cable got there compared to steel.
I'm sure it's the most of it, not ⅓ of the entire moving part. Because: It means, if carbon fiber, let's say, 4 times lighter than steel - it will be 50% (having 60% of the whole weight eliminated) of the moving part! (instead of 80% when it's steel)
HoneyDaddy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
hypertall, jeddah economic city, jeddah tower, kingdom tower, megatall, tallest