daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old June 28th, 2014, 07:25 AM   #8021
4npower
Rooftop Shooter
 
4npower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hanover, Pennsylvania/Tampa, Florida
Posts: 1,003
Likes (Received): 989

Quote:
Originally Posted by weidncol View Post
Alright, let's get back on-topic.


Would you please stop trying to be the off topic police in every thread. I mean we are cool on most topics, but when normal members start trying to be important, it gets annoying.

This conversation is most definitely on topic. We are simply discussing the Tower and the man behind it. No harm, no foul. Relax
__________________

Stewp, bigreach liked this post
4npower no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 28th, 2014, 07:39 AM   #8022
rehmatorakzai
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 350
Likes (Received): 495

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewp View Post
If you don't want to argue then don't reply an expect me not to respond, especially when you infer that I am ignorant of what I'm talking about, LOL.

Yes I'm sure I'm not the only one who realizes that these are indeed oil towers.

".. might have had a little help getting started..." ??

That's like saying Paris Hilton had a little help getting started on her singing career. lmfao

I don't think you get the point. There would be no Kingdom Holding Company without a rich person to start it. Who is that person? A Saudi Royal. Why is the Saudi Family filthy rich? Oil. It's not that difficult to follow the chain of wealth.
i don't see a reason that if saudis are filthy rich anyone should have problem with it. if its oil money so what?. its their money its their choices what ever they throw their money at. do you give a damn about others think even if you are spending a penny? probably not.
rehmatorakzai está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2014, 07:46 AM   #8023
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!
 
ThatOneGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto - Bucharest - Freeport
Posts: 21,481

I've seen Dubai posters next to Toronto posters and Paris photos, Shanghai...

Initially it was oil money. But the development afterwards gave rise to the tourism industry and others. Now tourism has overtaken oil in Dubai, statistically. Jeddah can do the same.

Cities attract tourists, tourists attract business, business attracts wealth. With this wealth, other sections of society can be developed. If Dubai was a massive functional industrial zone, it would not be the tourism icon it is today.
The peoples' religions are what is holding them back. But their (media exaggerated) stoning of women is not a reason to hate skyscraper construction there. There's no connection. Skyscrapers have put Dubai on the map and made that area so much more developed. The government would not have been able to bring that development level on its own, especially since its people are so backwards.

And it's not like only skyscrapers are being built there. There are tons of new developments like hospitals, roads and schools. The womens' rights thing are the result of the religious lifestyle, and nothing to do with skyscraper development or misuse of wealth.

Last edited by ThatOneGuy; June 28th, 2014 at 07:53 AM.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2014, 07:51 AM   #8024
Stewp
Registered User
 
Stewp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 19
Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rehmatorakzai View Post
i don't see a reason that if saudis are filthy rich anyone should have problem with it. if its oil money so what?. its their money its their choices what ever they throw their money at. do you give a damn about others think even if you are spending a penny? probably not.
The debate is not about about whether I care that the Saudi's get their money from oil... the debate is about whether the Kingdom Tower, which I believe to be funded by oil, is a worth while investment and whether it's a good example of how to spend a nations unspent wealth.
Stewp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2014, 07:54 AM   #8025
4npower
Rooftop Shooter
 
4npower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hanover, Pennsylvania/Tampa, Florida
Posts: 1,003
Likes (Received): 989

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewp View Post
".. might have had a little help getting started..." ??
That's like saying Paris Hilton had a little help getting started on her singing career. lmfao
I don't think you get the point. There would be no Kingdom Holding Company without a rich person to start it. Who is that person? A Saudi Royal. Why is the Saudi Family filthy rich? Oil. It's not that difficult to follow the chain of wealth.


Paris Hilton has a singing career? She hasn't done anything, zero, zilch, except live off her fathers wealth. Bad example
So, do you not consider people like Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, Warren Buffet or Mark Zuckerburg "self-made" billionaires because their parents gave them a college education and a few thousand to live on?
You can keep connecting the Saudi Royal families wealth(and oil) to this tower all you want, but the facts are, that Prince Al-Waleed, wipes his ass with the royal families wealth. He probably even gives each member an allowance every year and his empire wasn't built with oil. You can definitely say that the Burj Khalifa was a Oil Tower since it was bailed out by Abu-Dhabi, to be finished, but not Kingdom Tower. The money he got from being in the Royal family, was probably paid back in 1982.
4npower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2014, 08:08 AM   #8026
4npower
Rooftop Shooter
 
4npower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hanover, Pennsylvania/Tampa, Florida
Posts: 1,003
Likes (Received): 989

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewp View Post
The debate is not about about whether I care that the Saudi's get their money from oil... the debate is about whether the Kingdom Tower, which I believe to be funded by oil, is a worth while investment and whether it's a good example of how to spend a nations unspent wealth.



I'm not arguing that Most of the Saudi's get their money from
Oil. That is a fact. What I am arguing, is that the man behind this Tower, is not wealthy from oil.
And who cares if it is a good example of how to spend "ones" unspent wealth? It's too bad that there isn't a "Bill Gates Tower" built somewhere in the world at a true height of "One Mile"
4npower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2014, 08:13 AM   #8027
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!
 
ThatOneGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto - Bucharest - Freeport
Posts: 21,481

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4npower View Post
It's too bad that there isn't a "Bill Gates Tower" built somewhere in the world at a true height of "One Mile"
Donald Trump should use all that money for schools and fighting homelessness instead of building all those Trump Towers
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2014, 08:19 AM   #8028
4npower
Rooftop Shooter
 
4npower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hanover, Pennsylvania/Tampa, Florida
Posts: 1,003
Likes (Received): 989

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
There is a Trump Tower - several actually


A lot of people actually hate him, but if I was to come across some money to invest in, he would be at the top of my "choices to invest with" list. He has been at zero several times in his life, but always seems to bounce back
4npower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2014, 08:19 AM   #8029
Stewp
Registered User
 
Stewp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 19
Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
I've seen Dubai posters next to Toronto posters and Paris photos, Shanghai...

Initially it was oil money. But the development afterwards gave rise to the tourism industry and others. Now tourism has overtaken oil in Dubai, statistically. Jeddah can do the same.

Cities attract tourists, tourists attract business, business attracts wealth. With this wealth, other sections of society can be developed. If Dubai was a massive functional industrial zone, it would not be the tourism icon it is today.
The peoples' religions are what is holding them back. But their (media exaggerated) stoning of women is not a reason to hate skyscraper construction there. There's no connection. Skyscrapers have put Dubai on the map and made that area so much more developed. The government would not have been able to bring that development level on its own, especially since its people are so backwards.
I mean, yeah I'm sure their marketing it as much as possible, it doesn't mean Dubai actually gets a lot of international tourists. Like I've stated, most of the tourists come from neighboring arab states. Which means despite the extraordinary sky scraper, people are not willing to travel the distance to see it in person.

Yes initially it was oil money. That was my point! However, when you say tourism has taken over oil in dubai, that's statistically true but that's because the oil reserves were not as large as in other parts of the nation. Dubai actually doesn't hold most of the oil reserves, Abu Dhabi does. So it is easier to have a larger portion of the economy in other sectors especially if you have the flow of oil revenues continuously flowing to prop up those sectors in the first place like Eremites air, manufacturing etc.

As a whole the nation still derives 80%+ of it's economy from natural resources mostly oil products. So you must not just take Dubai and say, oh look they started with oil but now only 10% of their economy is oil. You must factor in the revenues they are getting from oil in other parts of the nation to fund those other sectors to get the real full picture, not just by the city because they're external factors at play within the UAE itself.

I never said that I am not fond of the sky scrapers because the people are radical... wtf... I said because it seems it's a waste of money and resources when they could direct them in better investments. I only alluded to their culture when I discussed how they could alternative use all that money spent on the tower to build more schools or universities or other useful investments to support their own population to evolve and become more modern. That's why I said the fact that they still would stone a woman for witchcraft means they are not doing enough to try to change the culture and educate their people. Basically the Saudi family is just as backward as their subjects, or at least it appears that way.
Stewp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2014, 08:26 AM   #8030
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!
 
ThatOneGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto - Bucharest - Freeport
Posts: 21,481

Anyway,
in the end all we know is that the tower is being built, they got rich from oil, and that their poorer population lives an outdated lifestyle, but that it's gradually improving.

There's nothing we can do about it so might as well enjoy the architecture we're getting. It's an engineering feat.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2014, 08:27 AM   #8031
4npower
Rooftop Shooter
 
4npower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hanover, Pennsylvania/Tampa, Florida
Posts: 1,003
Likes (Received): 989

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
Donald Trump should use all that money for schools and fighting homelessness instead of building all those Trump Towers

No!! It would just create more homelessness, and more people trying to leach off the wealth of successful people.
He already gives enough to poor people.
Please don't encourage them.
4npower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2014, 08:34 AM   #8032
Stewp
Registered User
 
Stewp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 19
Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4npower View Post
Paris Hilton has a singing career? She hasn't done anything, zero, zilch, except live off her fathers wealth. Bad example
So, do you not consider people like Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, Warren Buffet or Mark Zuckerburg "self-made" billionaires because their parents gave them a college education and a few thousand to live on?
You can keep connecting the Saudi Royal families wealth(and oil) to this tower all you want, but the facts are, that Prince Al-Waleed, wipes his ass with the royal families wealth. He probably even gives each member an allowance every year and his empire wasn't built with oil. You can definitely say that the Burj Khalifa was a Oil Tower since it was bailed out by Abu-Dhabi, to be finished, but not Kingdom Tower. The money he got from being in the Royal family, was probably paid back in 1982.
Actually her album 'Paris' reached #6 in the U.S. Billboard top 100. Yes, even a talentless bimbo like Paris Hilton can sell records, you just gotta have the money.

You seem to like to ignore the fact that the only reason why he's rich on his own right is because he was rich by his royal family to begin with. I mean If someone gave me 100 million dollars, I could pay it all back too just hire the best investors (which he did) to tell me where to put the money and make it multiply. These people are no way comparable to Bill Gates or Warren Buffet who started from normal circumstances far from being a royal multi millionaires. On top of that at least Bill Gates, Warren Buffet, and Zuckerburg actually made their wealth through invention or self made business practice.

The Kingdom Tower may not technically be an oil tower to you because the funds come from a royal which made his money through investments (of oil money), but I still think at the end of the day, they owe all their wealth and opportunity to oil. Can't deny that.
Stewp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2014, 08:38 AM   #8033
Stewp
Registered User
 
Stewp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 19
Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
Anyway,
in the end all we know is that the tower is being built, they got rich from oil, and that their poorer population lives an outdated lifestyle, but that it's gradually improving.

There's nothing we can do about it so might as well enjoy the architecture we're getting. It's an engineering feat.
On that note, I think it's too much of a rip off of the Burj Khalifa.
Stewp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2014, 09:37 AM   #8034
SkYsCrApEr2013
The AlphaWolf of the Pack
 
SkYsCrApEr2013's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Sydney
Posts: 1,748
Likes (Received): 2083

Where is this argument going? Lol
__________________
Top 10 tallest buildings:

Burj Khalifa, Shanghai Tower, Makkah Royal Clock Tower Hotel, Ping An Finance Center,
Goldin Finance 117, One World Trade Center, Chow Tai Fook Centre, Taipei 101, Shanghai World Financial Center and International Commerce Center.

R.I.P. Sawtooth Pack. You will be deeply missed.

I'm a really huge wolf lover! :D

I'M BACK!!!!

Zaz965 liked this post
SkYsCrApEr2013 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2014, 10:17 AM   #8035
Faisal Shourov
Bleach lover
 
Faisal Shourov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Toronto/Dhaka
Posts: 2,125
Likes (Received): 4250

If anybody has issues with this tower getting built, they should avoid this thread to keep their conscience from getting hurt by the images of construction in the 'filthy' Arab nation. I don't see Arab people speaking bullshit about other nations, those who're always criticizing foreign nations without any reason are truly lowlife

This is a skyscraper thread, haters please stay away with your reasoning. Your ideologies are your own, its pretty stupid to impose personal ideologies and beliefs on others. Do not derail the thread
__________________

fayzoon, oscillation, Muttie liked this post
Faisal Shourov no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2014, 03:04 PM   #8036
Slugbelch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 30
Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewp View Post
On that note, I think it's too much of a rip off of the Burj Khalifa.
...and thanks to the Burj, cheaper to build.
Slugbelch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2014, 03:11 PM   #8037
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally
 
KillerZavatar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Düsseldorf
Posts: 11,330
Likes (Received): 8231

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. But well, it is the same architect after all
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2014, 03:14 PM   #8038
Slugbelch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 30
Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerZavatar View Post
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. But well, it is the same architect after all
... all the bugs have been worked out ("The Hole"). Alll we have to do now is just add about 20 more floors and a taller hood ornament.
Slugbelch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2014, 07:57 PM   #8039
weidncol
WTC Enthusiast/Researcher
 
weidncol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 2,098
Likes (Received): 4623

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4npower View Post
Would you please stop trying to be the off topic police in every thread. I mean we are cool on most topics, but when normal members start trying to be important, it gets annoying.

This conversation is most definitely on topic. We are simply discussing the Tower and the man behind it. No harm, no foul. Relax
I'm not trying to be "important". And I also don't try to be the "topic police" in every thread. If I see a thread that has random bullshit that will take it nowhere, I'm going to take initiative. What I do helps keep threads clean and obviously on-topic. No harm, no foul. Relax.
__________________
#Save2WTC
weidncol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2014, 10:53 PM   #8040
MarshallKnight
Registered User
 
MarshallKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: From the Bay to L.A.
Posts: 2,339
Likes (Received): 3585

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewp View Post
On that note, I think it's too much of a rip off of the Burj Khalifa.
I see what you're saying but I think most of the similarity comes from the fact that they're both tapering three-winged designs, which are still rare as it's only necessary beyond a certain height. But within that framework I think they're formally pretty different, with this being all hard masculine lines, and the Burj is basically all curves.

Architects are still figuring out what to do with these things, aesthetically. As more towers are built above 700-800m that adopt the three-wing form, I think we'll start to see a whole new design vernacular come into being, and much more variety.
__________________

Stewp, RaymondHood liked this post
MarshallKnight está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
hypertall, jeddah economic city, jeddah tower, kingdom tower, megatall, tallest

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu