daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 2nd, 2014, 06:14 AM   #8861
bigreach
GF 117 #1, Lotte Tower #2

Likes (Received): 739

All the Fun aside,, this thing will be a beast if it top's out,, This Is a massive Tower,
(and like I said,,, before all the comment's), derailed this,,
If Chuck and Wally are watching this,,, It has leg's.
(Leg's mean's it's going to happen,,,)...
Let it happen!!!!!!!!

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
bigreach no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 2nd, 2014, 03:33 PM   #8862
ChuckScraperMiami#1

Likes (Received): 22079

Happy Chucktober Fest all Our Friendly Family Forum Fantastic Foreign and Domestic Friends !!, I kill me, it's my coffee, it's psychic !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkYsCrApEr2013 View Post
Has anyone seen ChuckScraperMiami#1 anywhere? I miss his likes and comments...

Yes SkyScraper2013, I Feel there's a Photo Update of Our " Kingdom Tower "very shorty due today at any time ,Alsaif2012 , A Great and Fantastic Best this year and Rody69 , I Surely missed His Fantastic Photo Updates , too he got us started here with His Update Photos of Ground Breaking and Moving Videos at the start of Construction !! Great Photos are there with Our Photo of the Month SSC Friendly Family Friend

Long Live the Kingdom Tower and Long Live the 12th Anniversary of SkyscraperCity Dot Come World Wide Website !!,
was that 10 ??

Last edited by ChuckScraperMiami#1; October 2nd, 2014 at 03:39 PM. Reason: and YES, I really need more Mocha in my coffee , !!! Very strange here and Wild and Crazy, too, LOL
ChuckScraperMiami#1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2014, 03:45 PM   #8863
fayzoon
Fayez

Likes (Received): 2042

Comparing with Burj Khalifa ..

september 2005 ( Almost this time with the kingdom tower = first floors work )

september 2006 ( after one year from now with the kingdom tower = the tower look to be visible & clear )

september 2007 ( after two years from now with the kingdom tower = the tower to be officially a supertall with a great height )

september 2008 ( after three years from now with the kingdom tower = observation already reached and construction almost completed )

september 2009 ( after four years from now with the kingdom tower = construction to complete )

then remember me
Old October 2nd, 2014, 04:00 PM   #8864
ChuckScraperMiami#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
What do we call it when it leaves the atmosphere?
Well ThatOne Guy, Our SSC Friendly Family Friend,

If it was the Kingdom Tower over a Mile High, We Would call it " The Space Needle Kingdom Tower !!

Long Live the Kingdom Tower and Long Live the 12th Anniversary of Our # 1 SkyscraperCity dot come World Wide Website !!
Old October 2nd, 2014, 06:03 PM   #8865
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8240

So opening in the beginning of 2019

fayzoon, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2014, 07:59 PM   #8866
Riyadh Crusher

Likes (Received): 2295

From Twitter:@Tower_Jeddah
Old October 2nd, 2014, 10:16 PM   #8867
iOxides

Likes (Received): 6

The establishment of the longest and largest interactive fountain on an area of ​​twenty-five thousand square meters around the kingdom tower ... I'm sorry if you guys already knew about this

sorry my English is not good ..>_<

Last edited by iOxides; October 2nd, 2014 at 10:31 PM.
iOxides no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2014, 12:05 AM   #8868
fayzoon
Fayez

Likes (Received): 2042

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerZavatar View Post
yupe I think so

BTW, the next world cup will be in 2018 in Russia .. by that time KT would be almost topped out ( if not topped out already )

fayzoon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2014, 12:16 AM   #8869
brandpb

Likes (Received): 390

it´s amazing!

brandpb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2014, 12:44 AM   #8870
Shaddorry
Futurologist

Likes (Received): 699

Quote:
Originally Posted by fayzoon View Post
september 2005 ( Almost this time with the kingdom tower = first floors work )

september 2006 ( after one year from now with the kingdom tower = the tower look to be visible & clear )

september 2007 ( after two years from now with the kingdom tower = the tower to be officially a supertall with a great height )

september 2008 ( after three years from now with the kingdom tower = observation already reached and construction almost completed )

september 2009 ( after four years from now with the kingdom tower = construction to complete )

then remember me
  1. I don't see any pictures :'(
  2. I remember the newspaper in the summer with the first inside pictures showing burj dubai to the world, together with an article about micheal Jackson's death. Can't remember what it said, but I knew that paper was historic at a next level!
Shaddorry no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2014, 02:00 AM   #8871
ChuckScraperMiami#1

So Very Close KillerZavatar, Our SSC Friendly Family World's Tallest Tower Moderator and Friend !!
Yes, It could be completed by the Beginning of 2019, But IMO their still doing the 1st Floor, Right ??, I mean I don't see any pouring as of yet on the second floor, which means the ceiling of the 1st floor, Right ?? Like ZZ-II Said the 1st floor could be completed by December, or the end of this year IMO.
What Get's me to adding the Floors Next, 170 Floors Right, that's an Average of 40 Floors a Year ( One Floor every 8 Days, 6 working days ) there's 52 weeks in a year, Right, Then I added 4 More Years Just For the 167 Floors to be completed by the end of 2018, which is still 4 Years from now, Right ?? . Then the beginning of 2019 the 3 Last Perfect 3 Floors of the Prince's Penthouse on Top with the Greatest View of His World and Then another 6 months to add the Over 200 Meter Spire, sooner If they use a Helicopter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerZavatar View Post
I would say any prediction of All our SSC Friendly Family Moderators and Friends , But really IMO Only please I still say the end of 2019 For sure , But you all know I'm always wrong !!

Long Live the Kingdom Tower and Long Live the SkyscraperCity Dot Come World Wide Website !!
Old October 3rd, 2014, 03:59 AM   #8872
K.S.A
Jeddah Tower Lover

Likes (Received): 4363

By alsaif2012

10.19 km

2.62 km

kingdom tower project in saudi forum : http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...00019&page=115

alsaif2012, ibib, iKHALEDM, iamtheSTIG, j-biz and 8 others liked this post
K.S.A no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2014, 04:12 AM   #8873
alsaif2012
El Seif Engineering

Likes (Received): 6789

ibib, K.S.A, iKHALEDM, iamtheSTIG, Conejo1 and 3 others liked this post

Last edited by alsaif2012; October 3rd, 2014 at 04:18 AM.
alsaif2012 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2014, 06:37 AM   #8874
ibib

Likes (Received): 2894

High and mighty: Kingdom Tower and the rise of the billion-dollar building

29 September 2014 Julian Turner

Scheduled for completion by 2019, the $1.2bn Kingdom Tower in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, is being heralded as the world’s first 1km high building. We talk to Clive Trencher, senior risk consultant at Allianz Global Corporate & Specialty, about taking skyscraper construction to new heights.

Breathtaking in conception and execution, the Kingdom Tower is a building without precedent. Upon completion, expected by 2019, the 'megatall' (600m-plus) skyscraper will stand a staggering 1km high, almost four times taller than Europe's highest building, the Shard in London, and more than 170m higher than the Burj Khalifa in Dubai, currently the world record holder at 828m.

The centrepiece of the £13bn Kingdom City development north of Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, the building will spread across an area of 530,000m², require around half a million square metres of concrete and 80,000t of steel for its 200 floors, and will house a five-star hotel, apartments, office space and an observatory.

Ground was broken on the £780m project in late April. Over the next five years, a peak daily workforce of around 6,000 will toil 24 hours a day, seven days a week, to overcome the unique challenges that the new generation super and mega-tall structures pose to contractors, architects and insurers.

"I've worked in construction all my life and maintaining the verticality of relatively short buildings of 20-30 stories is in itself a challenge; however, when you are dealing with buildings of 600m, 1,000m or even 1,500m high, then that's an extraordinarily difficult undertaking," says Clive Trencher, senior risk consultant at engineering insurer Allianz Global Corporate & Specialty (AGCS).

"I visited the Kingdom Tower site in June and one of the initial technical challenges that the client has had to overcome is the ground conditions. There is not a rock layer that can adequately support the weight of the building, so the engineers have had to bore piles down to a depth 160m - that's equivalent to a 50-storey building's height inserted into the ground before you've even started to work upwards."

Core values: foundations, sway minimisation and elevator technology

Trencher is ideally placed to comment on the structural challenges that super and megatall buildings present, having undertaken holistic risk assessments of flagship projects including the Shard and 20 Fenchurch Street in London, Taiwan's Taipei 101, the Burj Khalifa and, now, the Kingdom Tower.

"By definition these buildings are tall and slender and whatever foundation system you use has to be capable of supporting the vertical weight of the towers," he explains. "One of the big issues we have is that the taller you go, so the degree of sway increases. Humans are very receptive to acceleration and so what you try to do is produce a stiff structure that will primarily reduce wind-induced sway. However, around the world there are also locations where earthquakes are a major risk so you are also dealing with ground acceleration.

He adds: "The planned layout of the main tower is Y-shaped, which was deemed to be the best compromise to ensure the optimum load spread and load distribution of the cores. In terms of innovative materials, we work with extremely high strength concrete, which is needed for super-tall building purely because of the extreme weight that is imposed on them."

Unlike Taipei 101, which incorporates tuned mass dampers, the Kingdom Tower relies instead on a reinforced structural core design that extends for the full height of the building.

"Maintaining verticality as the building height increases is important for all structures but one of the fundamentals of design is that you try and keep the mass of the building within the centroid of the pile or foundation system," Trencher says. "The frame tends to be relatively lightweight, so there is a reinforced concrete core, which also serves as the main access points for lifts and building services."

Current technology limits elevator travel in super and megatall buildings to around 600m, mainly due to challenges with braking and cabling. The Kingdom Tower will feature 59 lifts, including five double deckers - those that take visitors to the observatory will travel at 10m per second.

"Traditionally, lifts have not been part of the evacuation process, so there are practical difficulties in terms of how you service a building in an emergency and the speed at which lifts operate because of the effects of G-force," says Trencher. "To provide necessary mechanical and electrical equipment you also need intermediate stations or levels, but these can take valuable letting space out of super and megatall buildings, which contain multi-user commercial, retail, leisure and residential spaces."

The heat is on: slip forming, real-time monitoring and water maintenance

Rigorous materials-testing is a fundamental aspect of any construction project, but the scorching temperatures of Saudi Arabia present contractors with a unique challenge, as Trencher explains.

"In the Middle East you have very high ambient temperatures and one of the major issues in pouring large volumes of concrete is that it is an exothermic chemical reaction and gives off heat. Therefore, you have to regulate very carefully how a block cools because the high differential temperatures can physically crack the concrete - and cracked concrete is not a good physical medium.

He adds: "The client has extensive instrumentation of these large concrete pours. Thermal couples measure both the internal and external temperature and the entire building is shrouded in insulating material to let these vast volumes of concrete cool down naturally without the outside being affected. Also, nobody has ever gone to those heights, so another major challenge we are facing is gravity. Attempting to pump concrete in its fluid state vertically 1,000m has never been done before."

Like the Shard before it, the Kingdom Tower's central core is being constructed using slip forming, a method in which concrete is poured into a structure that is continuously in flux, resulting in superior, joint-free buildings that can be worked on around the clock. However, high temperatures in Jeddah mean that slip-form structures must be monitored to ensure that structural integrity is maintained.

"Once the production of the main core starts it will run 24/7 - that's the economics of how you build these types of buildings as a continuous slip form," explains Trencher. "The slip form central core is working 24 hours a day and you are confronted with major solar gains in that time, so the building will tend to move away from the sun, and as the sun tracks around that changes. As a result, the Kingdom Tower has a network of real-time monitoring stations with corresponding trigger points where they can adjust the slip form to take into account any deviations."

The chemical make-up of the water in Jeddah has also tested the engineers' ingenuity.

"One of the issues we have in the Middle East - particularly in this location which is on the shoreline of the Red Sea - is that the groundwater is very saline and extraordinarily aggressive to concrete," says Trencher. "To mitigate some of the effects of that, and to stop engineers having to pump large volumes of salt-laden water, the base level of the tower has been set approximately 3m above the existing ground level."

Tall orders: the building boom in Asia and the Middle East

The 100th supertall building of over 300m will be built in 2014 and more than half of world's tallest buildings have been built in last four years, with the high-rise boom in Asia and Middle East leading the way, accounting for 90% of recent supertall projects worldwide.

Driven by rapid economic and demographic growth, urbanisation, investor appetite for flagship real estate assets and lower labour costs than in the traditional Western markets, the trend is set to continue. In June, China announced initial plans for its own 1km tall building, the Phoenix Towers.

With this in mind, what specific skill-sets will the next generation of construction engineers and risk assessors need to compete in a globalised marketplace, and how does Trencher envisage the super and megatall sector evolving in terms of new technologies, building materials and design elements?

"From design, through construction to procurement, the advent of computers has revolutionised construction imaging," he says. "Robotics may take over some construction tasks and in the UK we have witnessed a drive for off-site production, with only plug-and-play connections required on-site.

"Within my career computer design, modelling, 3D and sophisticated stress analysis software packages have been introduced and they certainly will continue to evolve. Mankind will not stand still on this - we will innovate but there needs to be an emphasis on these new innovations being used correctly."

SOURCE
Old October 3rd, 2014, 07:17 AM   #8875
Slugbelch

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by fayzoon View Post
I miss Imre
Old October 3rd, 2014, 08:33 AM   #8876
bigreach
GF 117 #1, Lotte Tower #2

Likes (Received): 739

It's impressive,, the picture fayzoon posted of Burj,, the footprint looks so small, not near enough to build 800 meter's..

bigreach no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2014, 10:59 AM   #8877
KøbenhavnK

Likes (Received): 354

Why do you like this building Bigreach. It's one big needle?
Old October 3rd, 2014, 04:55 PM   #8878
Riyadh Crusher

Likes (Received): 2295

Quote:
Originally Posted by iOxides View Post
The establishment of the longest and largest interactive fountain on an area of ​​twenty-five thousand square meters around the kingdom tower ... I'm sorry if you guys already knew about this

sorry my English is not good ..>_<
Any source of your given information or are you an insider ?

Last edited by Riyadh Crusher; October 3rd, 2014 at 05:04 PM.
Riyadh Crusher no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2014, 10:35 PM   #8879
SkYsCrApEr2013
The AlphaWolf of the Pack

Likes (Received): 2083

Quote:
Originally Posted by KøbenhavnK View Post

Why do you like this building Bigreach. It's one big needle?
Not just a big needle. The world's tallest needle to date and after that, overtaken by another needle

Burj Khalifa, Shanghai Tower, Makkah Royal Clock Tower Hotel, Ping An Finance Center,
Goldin Finance 117, One World Trade Center, Chow Tai Fook Centre, Taipei 101, Shanghai World Financial Center and International Commerce Center.

R.I.P. Sawtooth Pack. You will be deeply missed.

I'm a really huge wolf lover! :D

I'M BACK!!!!

SkYsCrApEr2013 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2014, 12:39 AM   #8880
billgates

Likes (Received): 225

Can you see Kingdom Tower from Abraj Al Bait? (and vice versa)

The distance between the towers is 52 miles, so I'll assume that the visibility is good enough.
The main obstacle between them is a 2195 foot mountain, but 2646 feet taking the curvature of the earth into consideration. The elevations of the bases of KT and AAB are 10 feet and 1071 feet, respectively. After some calculations...

Conclusion: Even if you looked out from the top floors of each building, you would not be able to see the other building with the naked eye. You would need to climb to the pinnacle of each building, and even then, it would be difficult to spot.

K.S.A, Conejo1, Saleh93, KillerZavatar, ibib and 13 others liked this post
billgates no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
hypertall, jeddah economic city, jeddah tower, kingdom tower, megatall, tallest