daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 4th, 2014, 12:56 AM   #8881
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8243

amazing analytic post. love it ! too bad for the implications though. the mountain really puts a coffin in that idea. i guess Jeddah has to go 1500m now!

billgates, ChuckScraperMiami#1, j-biz liked this post
KillerZavatar está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 4th, 2014, 12:56 AM   #8882
Conejo1

Likes (Received): 261

Wonderful thread!

This is going to be a major landmark not only for KSA and the Arab world but more internationally as well.

Hejaz has so much potential to become a major world tourist destination.

You have an amazing and almost 2000 km long tropical coastline along the Red Sea which has the second biggest coral reef after the Great Barrier Reef in Australia, several hundreds of tropical islands. In fact there are 1300 uninhabited (mostly tropical and volcanic) islands in KSA, the majority of them located in the Red Sea.

http://www.arabnews.com/news/447826

You have ancient cities, villages, modern and emerging metropolises, you have several breathtaking mountain ranges and mountains above 3000 meters tall, tropical areas, all kind of deserts, steppes, volcanic areas, forests etc. All not far away from the Kingdom Tower.

Moreover you have the holy cities of Makkah and Madinah that are attracting millions of pilgrims and visitors each year and the numbers are only going to grow.

KSA is already the 15th most visited country in the world although half of the number of visitors is bound in religious tourism. So the country is familiar with outsiders. Let alone being home to one of the biggest migrant populations on the planet from all over the world. Muslim and non-Muslim.

Moreover there are several enormous projects going on in Hijaz right now. From new airports, roads, sports facilities, stadiums, metros, railways, universities, schools, whole industrial cities from scratch, expansions at the holy sites in Makkah and Madinah and a lot of new world class infrastructure in general.

The main problem for tourism is solely the laws which I believe are going to change ultimately. It's just a question of time as the government has stated themselves that tourism will play a big role for the future economy of KSA which is among the 20th biggest economies in the world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G-20_major_economies

http://sauditourism.sa/en/Pages/default.aspx

http://geography.about.com/od/econom...stinations.htm

KSA is a very safe country too. Not like other ME countries sadly.

If anybody is interested in seeing how KSA and the nearby area looks like (Arabian Peninsula) I can recommend this thread below:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...597001&page=43

Not many know this part of the world so there is a lot of ignorance and prejudice like with the ME as a whole.

Or the Saudi Arabian section of the forum below:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=641

In short there is a lot of potential and personally as a person that wants to see certain political changes in KSA I am very happy about the Kingdom Tower but also just from an architectural perspective as a fan of skyscrapers in general.

Lastly you cannot look at the Kingdom Tower without also looking at KAC.

http://www.kaec.net

http://www.kingdom.com.sa/investment...onomic-company

I apologize for the long post.

Last edited by Conejo1; October 4th, 2014 at 02:11 AM.
Conejo1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2014, 01:03 AM   #8883
hamadx

Likes (Received): 1419

Good write Conejo1

Conejo1, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
hamadx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2014, 01:11 AM   #8884
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

great post, Conejo!

Saudi Arabia is always negatively representated in western news. with projects like these and making the country more attractive for tourist, maybe the world can get a better image of the country and maybe the country can get a little more open towards the west as well. It's a long way to go, but maybe this is a great step if it indeed sparks tourism. I do not intend to spark a political discussion, just my two cents.

This tower will just be awesome in any way!

Conejo1, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old October 4th, 2014, 01:18 AM   #8885
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KøbenhavnK View Post

Why do you like this building Bigreach. It's one big needle?
Why does anyone like the Chrysler Building? It's just a giant pencil with some gargoyles tacked on it.
Old October 4th, 2014, 01:22 AM   #8886
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

you put yourself into a dangerous position, saying this on this forum. there are people getting pretty butthurt, if you say something against their favorite building

Shaddorry, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old October 4th, 2014, 01:23 AM   #8887
Conejo1

Likes (Received): 261

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerZavatar View Post

great post, Conejo!

Saudi Arabia is always negatively representated in western news. with projects like these and making the country more attractive for tourist, maybe the world can get a better image of the country and maybe the country can get a little more open towards the west as well. It's a long way to go, but maybe this is a great step if it indeed sparks tourism. I do not intend to spark a political discussion, just my two cents.

This tower will just be awesome in any way!
Well, the reason why I even wrote my post is because I saw people touching on this subject and almost objecting to the fact that this historical tower is indeed being built in KSA. Of course those people know almost nothing about KSA other than what they read in the media and what they hear from various sources (often false or highly exaggerated). Personally I have seen several Western and even Arab news outlets write outright lies about KSA.

I don't want to turn this thread into something that does not concern this thread but you are indeed right about KSA not doing enough to improve its public relations let alone tourism. There are a lot of misconceptions out there and it's A LOT more complex than it appears. Not saying that KSA is perfect (far from it) but most people are really clueless and think of KSA like another Afghanistan despite being one of the richest countries out there, being a developed country (although still emerging at a fast rate) and having a pretty high HDI index (number 34).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...elopment_Index

We as people are neither what many people imagine. Of course misconceptions and prejudices don't go away overnight so I don't have any high hopes for now at least but ultimately this will change too. Like anything else.

This is why I am happy about this project. People might dislike the design of the Kingdom Tower or complain about Arabs "building yet another useless tower" (forgetting that we are talking about the ME which is home to arguably the oldest civilizations on the planet and it not being "useless" economically either) or whatever some of them write but at least it is very valuable publicity and a opportunity for the government to improve those areas that you have mentioned. Especially tourism. I am just happy about all the big projects in the country and the progress on almost all fronts. The Kingdom Tower being a major event on that list.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post

Last edited by Conejo1; October 4th, 2014 at 01:39 AM.
Conejo1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2014, 01:26 AM   #8888
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerZavatar View Post

you put yourself into a dangerous position, saying this on this forum. there are people getting pretty butthurt, if you say something against their favorite building
It's be hypocrisy to oversimplify someone's favourite building then get mad when it's done to your own..
I've said worse, anyway.

ChuckScraperMiami#1, j-biz liked this post
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2014, 05:40 AM   #8889
The-Real-Link
The-Real-Link!!

Likes (Received): 300

Even if you couldn't see the building itself, you could probably seem the lightbeams shooting up from each tower. That or just trim the mountain a bit ;p

The-Real-Link no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2014, 09:20 AM   #8890
bigreach
GF 117 #1, Lotte Tower #2

Likes (Received): 739

It is one massive needle,, but it, well, it hold's it's shape all the way,, it, as well as the Burj are true to what they are,,, they Taper,,, They don't suddenly,, stop, have a 100 meter square roof,, then throw a 100 meter needle on the top... I guess that's why this is 1 of my fav's,,, it will be mindboggling....

KøbenhavnK, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post

Last edited by bigreach; October 4th, 2014 at 09:26 AM.
bigreach no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2014, 10:05 AM   #8891
KøbenhavnK

Likes (Received): 354

Down with needles!

But I'll only support you fifty percent of the way. I like spires when they are an integral part of the building.

But it's difficult to have opinions set in stone when these new megas are needles themselves

(But GOD do I disrespect buildings like Trump in Chicago Bank of America in NY)

bigreach, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
KøbenhavnK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2014, 12:15 PM   #8892
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2629

You guys are the skyscraper version of trekkies.
Old October 4th, 2014, 12:20 PM   #8893
KøbenhavnK

Likes (Received): 354

Yes but dress-wise we make less of a spectacle when we move through the city on our way to the annual convention.

KøbenhavnK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2014, 08:16 PM   #8894
Dave-in-Toronto

Likes (Received): 683

Quote:
Originally Posted by droneriot View Post
You guys are the skyscraper version of trekkies.

Now that you bring that up... this tower looks a bit like Commodore Decker's planet killing machine.

(The Doomsday Machine, 1967)

Dave-in-Toronto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2014, 08:24 PM   #8895
Dave-in-Toronto

Likes (Received): 683

My favorite Old Show episode.

Rody69, j-biz, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Dave-in-Toronto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2014, 02:24 AM   #8896
Bohdan Astro
per aspera ad astra

Likes (Received): 14793

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsaif2012 View Post

I see that at the construction site two cranes Wolff 355B (not 1250B ones!) are erected ...
Also, at present there is erected one Liebherr 357HC-L... Right?

Very interesting! Most of tallest skyscrapers were constructed using Favelle Favco tower cranes.
It seems that tallest skyscraper will be constructed without using of these cranes.
Instead of Favelle Favco there will be employed German cranes Wolff and Liebherr...

Last edited by Bohdan Astro; October 5th, 2014 at 02:29 AM.
Bohdan Astro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2014, 05:16 AM   #8897
bigreach
GF 117 #1, Lotte Tower #2

Likes (Received): 739

Quote:
Originally Posted by KøbenhavnK View Post

Down with needles!

But I'll only support you fifty percent of the way. I like spires when they are an integral part of the building.

But it's difficult to have opinions set in stone when these new megas are needles themselves

(But GOD do I disrespect buildings like Trump in Chicago Bank of America in NY)
I'm not any kind of spire liker,, the only major that looks, and to me seems "integral" on any building is Jin Mao. I mean that's Perfect.
This here, just will be "continuous" taper all they way up, I just am an awe, it's being attempted, and hope it passes Burj.

Great update,, just above Bohdan Astro..

bigreach no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2014, 09:04 AM   #8898
weidncol
WTC Enthusiast/Researcher

Likes (Received): 4624

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigreach View Post
I'm not any kind of spire liker,, the only major that looks, and to me seems "integral" on any building is Jin Mao. I mean that's Perfect.
This here, just will be "continuous" taper all they way up, I just am an awe, it's being attempted, and hope it passes Burj.

Great update,, just above Bohdan Astro..
The Chrysler building too.

weidncol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2014, 12:31 PM   #8899
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 241104

Kingdom Tower update diagram:
diagram by christos-greece, on Flickr
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2014, 12:43 PM   #8900
wespje1990

Likes (Received): 806

is the height expected to be 1008 meter definitive now?

wespje1990 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
hypertall, jeddah economic city, jeddah tower, kingdom tower, megatall, tallest