daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 13th, 2014, 12:49 AM   #9581
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8230

China is building taller and taller towers, they are just not adding a 300m tall spire just for the sake of it. The towers we have rising basically could have been world's tallest if added such a spire. I think Shanghai tower, ping an, wuhan greenland, goldin finance and zhongnan are all not very far from burj khalifas highest occupated floors. I like how highcliff called it, china is playing with us basically. We probably get a 900m tower to the roof without a spire before getting a world's tallest lol

Also the concept of a 650m tower with a 350m spire is rather ridiculous anyway. As much as I love kingdom tower, I rather see the continuation of the steady growth we are used to in China. Lots of 600m towers and the first 700m one will soon turn into lots of 700m towers and the first 800m or 900m ones anyway, without the need of an excessive spire.

ZZ-II liked this post

Last edited by KillerZavatar; December 13th, 2014 at 01:13 AM.
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 13th, 2014, 01:30 AM   #9582
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

Likes (Received): 2793

My understanding of the economics behind both Burj Khalifa and Kingdom Tower is that they were/are being built specifically to attract new people and new investment to a new economic district. When you build in the middle of the desert and you want people to come, you gotta go big. Neither building alone will turn a profit, and weren't designed to. That's not a condemnation from me. The strategy works. SA has 26 million people and over 80% of them already live in cities, so if you want others to come you have to look to the broader region. What's the percentage of foreign workers in SA? It's something crazy high like 30%.

China on the other hand has 1.2 billion people, half of who live in impoverished rural areas and are desperate to leave. There's no need to build the WTB to get hundreds of thousands of willing migrants.
Old December 14th, 2014, 06:10 AM   #9583
fayzoon
Fayez

Likes (Received): 2033

foreign workers are more than 60% of available manpower which is 15 millions

30% of the population which is 30 millions

Souces: http://www.globalfirepower.com/count...d=Saudi-Arabia

http://www.cdsi.gov.sa/english/

Rahmah liked this post
fayzoon está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2014, 01:37 PM   #9584
K.S.A
Jeddah Tower Lover

Likes (Received): 4363

from twitter

@Jedd_Eco_Co

ZZ-II, iamtheSTIG, Redzio, j-biz, alsaif2012 and 9 others liked this post
K.S.A no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2014, 01:43 PM   #9585
muflih

Likes (Received): 716

is it possible to build supertall more than 1 km?? i think when kingdom tower finished the city which previously crowned have the highest supertall (uea) will never willing to hold off his tittle and try to build higher and higher till touch the heaven or the hell over the could,,,wait n see
muflih no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2014, 02:53 PM   #9586
Partizany

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by muflih View Post
is it possible to build supertall more than 1 km??
jesus christ.. stop asking stupid questions..
Old December 14th, 2014, 03:23 PM   #9587
King of Construction
skyscraperized

Likes (Received): 254

Quote:
is it possible to build supertall more than 1 km?? i think when kingdom tower finished the city which previously crowned have the highest supertall (uea) will never willing to hold off his tittle and try to build higher and higher till touch the heaven or the hell over the could,,,wait n see
It's the tower of Babel all over again!!

Visited countries: Austria-Belgium-Bosnia & Herzegovina-Bulgaria-Canada-Croatia-Czech Republic-England-France-Germany-Greece-Hong Kong-Italy-Liechtenstein- Luxembourg
Malaysia-Montenegro-Morocco-the Netherlands-Poland-Serbia-Singapore-Spain- Switzerland-Turkey-United Arab Emirates-United States of America-Wales

chilcano liked this post
King of Construction no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2014, 03:40 PM   #9588
muflih

Likes (Received): 716

OMG you have mentioned tower of babel,,,the collapse of babble tower was clearly written on al- quran and bib,,,tower bibble reached high approximately 2,4 Km this project show the arrogant of the human to build tower reach heaven but its became scary dissaster.sory if i have mistake
muflih no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2014, 04:26 PM   #9589
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8230

Quote:
i think one of the first reactions in dubai after kingdom tower broke ground was nakheel hinting at the possibility of a new world's tallest in dubai. with dubai you never know, i certainly hope that it will be the case that they will want the title back.
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2014, 07:34 PM   #9590
SkYsCrApEr2013
The AlphaWolf of the Pack

Likes (Received): 2083

Quote:
OMG you have mentioned tower of babel,,,the collapse of babble tower was clearly written on al- quran and bib,,,tower bibble reached high approximately 2,4 Km this project show the arrogant of the human to build tower reach heaven but its became scary dissaster.sory if i have mistake
But this time 1km+ buildings won't collapse because it won't be arrogance. It will be becoming technologically advanced. Besides, we will have much stronger materials

Burj Khalifa, Shanghai Tower, Makkah Royal Clock Tower Hotel, Ping An Finance Center,
Goldin Finance 117, One World Trade Center, Chow Tai Fook Centre, Taipei 101, Shanghai World Financial Center and International Commerce Center.

R.I.P. Sawtooth Pack. You will be deeply missed.

I'm a really huge wolf lover! :D

I'M BACK!!!!
SkYsCrApEr2013 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2014, 11:42 PM   #9591
Sukaitsuri
スカイツリー

Likes (Received): 77

The tower of Babel never existed but the fact that every time a country builds the next tallest building in the world, there is an economic crisis in that country, probably means that... God punishes vainness by using the economic weapon
Sukaitsuri no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2014, 12:57 AM   #9592
Dubai Skyscraper

Likes (Received): 2609

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sukaitsuri View Post
The tower of Babel never existed but the fact that every time a country builds the next tallest building in the world, there is an economic crisis in that country, probably means that... God punishes vainness by using the economic weapon
Quote:
These two posts easily make it into the top 10 of the most ridiculous comments I have read on SSC... so wrong on so many levels.

To add something of value to my post: The plane shot shows that there is no construction activity anywhere around KT (besides the mall/podium thing attached to it), apparently it will be very lonely for a long time.

j-biz, GulfArabia liked this post
Dubai Skyscraper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2014, 09:51 AM   #9593
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerZavatar View Post
China is building taller and taller towers, they are just not adding a 300m tall spire just for the sake of it. The towers we have rising basically could have been world's tallest if added such a spire. I think Shanghai tower, ping an, wuhan greenland, goldin finance and zhongnan are all not very far from burj khalifas highest occupated floors. I like how highcliff called it, china is playing with us basically. We probably get a 900m tower to the roof without a spire before getting a world's tallest lol

Also the concept of a 650m tower with a 350m spire is rather ridiculous anyway. As much as I love kingdom tower, I rather see the continuation of the steady growth we are used to in China. Lots of 600m towers and the first 700m one will soon turn into lots of 700m towers and the first 800m or 900m ones anyway, without the need of an excessive spire.
Wrong! .... it doesn't work like that.
I can cheat you blind.

Rahmah liked this post
AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2014, 10:27 AM   #9594
Supertall Robbo
on Clapham Common

Likes (Received): 20

Its slightly ridiculous how tall this building is.

KillerZavatar, The Shard Baby liked this post
Supertall Robbo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2014, 10:51 AM   #9595
Westyguy

Likes (Received): 324

More than 3 times taller than any inhabitable structure in Australia.

reecebowker liked this post
Westyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2014, 11:46 AM   #9596
Abdullah-atta

Likes (Received): 2122

Old December 15th, 2014, 04:40 PM   #9597
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

We are not talking about spires (as in masts) stuck on top but as of integral part of the structure that compliment the design and structural integrity. Those spires are simply to narrow be habitable or have proper access (i.e. Lifts).

You can't just put a pole on top of Shanghai Tower and be done with it (alla WTC1) it's not the same thing
I can cheat you blind.

Dubai Skyscraper liked this post
AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2014, 09:26 PM   #9598
weidncol
WTC Enthusiast/Researcher

Likes (Received): 4623

Technically, the spire on 1 WTC IS part of the structure as it was always designed with the tower, not just an afterthought. That's my 2 cents.
weidncol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2014, 09:32 PM   #9599
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2607

Anyone who thinks a spire isn't real should take a helicopter ride 500m above ground above 1WTC. Good luck!

j-biz liked this post
droneriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2014, 09:43 PM   #9600
krokkel

Likes (Received): 1032

A stick on a building remains a stick on a building whether this whas planned beforehand or not

Kanto, JuanPaulo liked this post
krokkel no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
hypertall, jeddah economic city, jeddah tower, kingdom tower, megatall, tallest