daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 12th, 2010, 04:56 PM   #981
Guest89
----SSC ®----

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectre000 View Post
You're statement is partly correct. Population is not directly connected with tall buildings, business is. Demand for office space in NY during the 1920's was insane. Vacany rates were in the low single digits. New office buildings typically opened nearly fully leased.
The occupancy rate in Burj Dubai is at 90%. I would assume another tall building (possibly over 1 km in Dubai) after 5 years would be feasible and possible to build. With the business community expanding in Dubai and 3.5 million projected population growth by 2020 seems to be in Dubai's favour.

NijmegenCity liked this post
Guest89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 12th, 2010, 05:39 PM   #982
paih
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

i heard that the commercial and business price in dubai quite fall

paih no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2010, 06:51 PM   #983
Buyckske Ruben

Likes (Received): 214

All the info you need: http://www.zawya.com/projects/projec...60208080028&cc

And idd the release of the final design is this month!

other article:

Architect Adrian Smith aims for mile-high, mixed-use tower.
September 13, 2009

"He is working on a conceptual plan for a mile-high mixed-use skyscraper where people might live, work and who knows what else."

Link: http://archives.chicagotribune.com/2...l-profilesep13

Buyckske Ruben no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2010, 12:24 PM   #984
Westyguy

Likes (Received): 324

How realistic is this buildings chances of being built. Especially in the current financial situation.

Westyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2010, 12:19 AM   #985
Betelgeuze

Likes (Received): 16

I think it has a pretty good chance! the bad financial situation clearly hasn't stopped them from going ahead with this.

Betelgeuze no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2010, 03:30 AM   #986
WiGgLz01
BANNED

Likes (Received): 64

I litterally almost sh*t myself reading that not only will this be designed by adrian smith, but he also aimes for a mile!!! This is amazing, skipping 1kilometer and going all the way to a mile!!!!!!

WiGgLz01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2010, 06:02 AM   #987
Anberlin

Likes (Received): 31

Can't wait until the final design. I'm a big AS+GG fan

Anberlin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2010, 07:17 AM   #988
helghast

Likes (Received): 147

same here my friend. i really hope Smith win's. i'm sure all of us won't be disappointed with his design

helghast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2010, 09:11 PM   #989
GeoDude
GeoDude

Likes (Received): 206

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSORROW View Post
these r the tallest proposed building
so i know this is a little old but i had to say something. this building was proposed by frank lloyd wright for the city of chicago. it was his design for a mile high building. this was never intended to be built in jeddah . just thought i would clear that up.

@Chaserino
Architecture & Travel

USA - Canada - Mexico - Costa Rica - Brazil - Peru - Australia - New Zealand - China - England - France - Netherlands - Spain - Italy - Germany - Monaco - Vatican City - Czech Republic - Hungary - Turkey - Denmark - Sweden - Morocco - Portugal - Switzerland - Greece - Austria - Liechtenstein - Cyprus - Croatia - Belgium - Slovakia - United Arab Emirates - Poland - Ukraine - Romania - Ireland - Malta - Vietnam - Myanmar - Japan - India - Slovenia - South Africa - Zimbabwe - Zambia - Botswana - Israel

GeoDude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2010, 05:29 PM   #990
kitayabi

Likes (Received): 351

when should the final designs be submitted

kitayabi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2010, 12:11 AM   #991
meh_cd

Likes (Received): 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitayabi View Post
Jeddah is the point of entry for those going to Mecca and Medina as well as it being home to a young and growing population.
I don't know what a ridiculously tall luxury condo/rental tower with offices will do for those people, but hey what do I know? Dubai built all of those buildings in the desert and they didn't have any financial trouble, am I right?

meh_cd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2010, 12:31 AM   #992
Guest89
----SSC ®----

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_cd View Post
I don't know what a ridiculously tall luxury condo/rental tower with offices will do for those people, but hey what do I know? Dubai built all of those buildings in the desert and they didn't have any financial trouble, am I right?
Don't you think it's ridiculous to compare a major financial and tourist hub like Dubai which is in New York's stature to Jeddah? You can't. As far as Dubai is concerned, London is more broke than Dubai even though they didn't build many towers and are not in the desert.

Old January 17th, 2010, 01:01 AM   #993
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest89 View Post
Don't you think it's ridiculous to compare a major financial and tourist hub like Dubai which is in New York's stature to Jeddah? You can't. As far as Dubai is concerned, London is more broke than Dubai even though they didn't build many towers and are not in the desert.
I wouldn't call either Dubai, NYC, or London broke. They are in debt. London and NY are generating massive wealth. Dubai has some really tall buildings, but it's economy has a long ways to go to match London or NY. NYC GDP is over $1 trillion, London's is about half that. Entire UAE's is less than $200 billion.

Your correct though, comparing NY and Jeddah isn't even close. If the government of Saudi Arabia wants this tower bad enough, it's gonna be built. I can't wait to see some serious renders.

spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2010, 01:14 AM   #994
Guest89
----SSC ®----

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectre000 View Post
I wouldn't call either Dubai, NYC, or London broke. They are in debt. London and NY are generating massive wealth. Dubai has some really tall buildings, but it's economy has a long ways to go to match London or NY. NYC GDP is over $1 trillion, London's is about half that. Entire UAE's is less than $200 billion.

Your correct though, comparing NY and Jeddah isn't even close. If the government of Saudi Arabia wants this tower bad enough, it's gonna be built. I can't wait to see some serious renders.
I wasn't talking about economy. I was talking about communications, education, security, healthcare to name a few Dubai is like New York. London generating wealth? How come it is in more debt than Dubai?

Anyways, we see how well NYC is doing down there on Wall Street. lol And you are right about comparing NYC to Jeddah. Dubai however is right up to NYC's state of the art facilities.

Back on Topic:

Saudi Arabia has the money and resources to build it. I wonder who will be the buyers of office/home space for that tower. Prices could be higher than the BK's announcement.

Old January 17th, 2010, 01:18 AM   #995
Moby_

Likes (Received): 5

will this tower actually be 1600m high?

Moby_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2010, 01:20 AM   #996
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6522

nothing is sure yet
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2010, 01:31 AM   #997
Moby_

Likes (Received): 5

well the tower looks realy good, would be fun if they build it

Moby_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2010, 04:49 AM   #998
Rody69

Likes (Received): 1918

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest89 View Post
I wasn't talking about economy. I was talking about communications, education, security, healthcare to name a few Dubai is like New York. London generating wealth? How come it is in more debt than Dubai?

Anyways, we see how well NYC is doing down there on Wall Street. lol And you are right about comparing NYC to Jeddah. Dubai however is right up to NYC's state of the art facilities.

Back on Topic:

Saudi Arabia has the money and resources to build it. I wonder who will be the buyers of office/home space for that tower. Prices could be higher than the BK's announcement.
and actually you can't compare Dubai to Jeddah..cuz Jeddah is the trade and the financial hub of a 520 billion economy,(Jeddah represent 28.5% of the Saudi G.D.P) with 5,2 million inhabitants,65% of them are under the age of 35 years,73% are locals "Saudi nationals",3 industrial zones with the fourth under-constructions,173 million square meter economical zone under-construction (look up for king Abdullah Economic City in the Saudi forum) plus more than 17 million visitors....etc
about the health care or Education you could look up for some facts before judging
back to topic:

the difference between Jeddah and Dubai that Jeddah doesn't look usually for the foreigner buyers,and it needs actually more than 1.2 million units over the next 5 years (2009 Survey) just for the local inhabitants,so there is a huge difference between the two cities.Dubai is building magical and amazing stuff aiming to attract more foreigners (workers from all levels, or just visitors) but Jeddah starting to do the same to satisfy the local market need to more unites (Residential, Offices, Commercial)
any way read this
http://www.gulfbase.com/site/interfa....aspx?n=119783

peace everyone
Old January 17th, 2010, 04:53 AM   #999
Mr. Fitz
Get Your Walk On Son!

Likes (Received): 4

I'd just be worried about how they'd continue construction on it when they get that far up with the winds and all.

Mr. Fitz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2010, 06:58 AM   #1000
kitayabi

Likes (Received): 351

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_cd View Post
Dubai isn't the only country to have suffered from the financial crisis, but considering that the Country didn't even go in to recession I'd say it came out rather well.

kitayabi no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
hypertall, jeddah economic city, jeddah tower, kingdom tower, megatall, tallest