daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 17th, 2010, 07:05 AM   #1001
kitayabi

Likes (Received): 351

In oil revenue terms this tower will cost two days of production.

NijmegenCity liked this post
kitayabi no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 17th, 2010, 12:16 PM   #1002
jh1
سعودي

Likes (Received): 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitayabi View Post
In oil revenue terms this tower will cost two days of production.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spectre000 View Post
Your correct though, comparing NY and Jeddah isn't even close. If the government of Saudi Arabia wants this tower bad enough, it's gonna be built. I can't wait to see some serious renders.

just to remind everyone here . this tower is not going to be built by the Saudi government . things are a bit different here than Dubai .
Prince Al-Walid doesn't own Jeddah and the government doesn't hold any shares in his company .

نَظَــرَتْ فأقصَـدتِ الــفؤاد بسهمـها...|... ثم انثنت عــــنهُ فكـــــادَ يهيم
ويــلاه إن نـظَرت وإن هىَ أعرضَت...|... وقعُ السهـــام ونـــزعهن أليم

jh1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2010, 02:31 PM   #1003
Guest89
----SSC ®----

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rody69 View Post
and actually you can't compare Dubai to Jeddah..cuz Jeddah is the trade and the financial hub of a 520 billion economy,(Jeddah represent 28.5% of the Saudi G.D.P) with 5,2 million inhabitants,65% of them are under the age of 35 years,73% are locals "Saudi nationals",3 industrial zones with the fourth under-constructions,173 million square meter economical zone under-construction (look up for king Abdullah Economic City in the Saudi forum) plus more than 17 million visitors....etc
about the health care or Education you could look up for some facts before judging
I hate to go off topic again but as I told a forumer yesterday:

What I said is Dubai is emerging as the next global 21st century capital that rivals New York, London and Hong Kong. Air Traffic? Dubai international Airport is in the top 10 INTERNATIONAL airports and top 15 cargo airport. Dubai has the biggest and largest man made port and 8th in cargo shipments. Dubai is sure to overtake New York in the next 15-20 years. 2,500 BRITISH companies alone are in Dubai. 1,500 international companies in the airport free-zone alone. Dubai is doing well and will do better in the near future.

When you ask anybody where they want to go in the middle east, the first thing they say is Dubai. Dubai's geography is perfect. It is within 6 hr flight for over 2 Billion people. When a company relocates, it relocates to Dubai, not Jeddah.

What about infrastructure, education and healthcare? Not even close to Dubai. Do yourself a poll and ask random people where they want to go within the middle east. If one says Jeddah I will take you out to lunch.

Sorry for being off topic, had to respond.

Guest89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2010, 02:36 PM   #1004
Betelgeuze

Likes (Received): 16

I say Jeddah!

Enjoy your lunch

No really: if they build a Mile High tower in Jeddah I realy might consider going to Jeddah instead of Dubai!(as a tourist)
So if thats what they want to accomplish they should build it!

Betelgeuze no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2010, 02:46 PM   #1005
Guest89
----SSC ®----

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betelgeuze View Post
I say Jeddah!

Enjoy your lunch

No really: if they build a Mile High tower in Jeddah I realy might consider going to Jeddah instead of Dubai!(as a tourist)
So if thats what they want to accomplish they should build it!
Obviously not on the forum.

I might visit as well, but I am talking about what is the first thing that pops into somebody's head when they are asked this question.

Old January 17th, 2010, 03:52 PM   #1006
GulfArabia

Likes (Received): 1513

بخصوص المشروع فشركات المقاولات استلمت مخططات للبرج واطلعت على مستندات المشروع ومخططاته ودراسة لكيفية انششائه وفقا لرؤيتان ... وتقوم بوضع أسعارها وفقا لجداول قدمتها أعمار قريبة من مستندات برج خليفة .... وشكل البرج وتوزيع أدوار انتهت ... والرسومات الهندسية (المعمارية والانشائية والميكانيكية .......إلخ تحت التنفيذ ... وبعد شهرين ستتم اعمال الحفر والبايلز طبقا لعقد منفصل ... وتمت الموافقة الرسمية على المخطط العام للمدينة واختيار موقع البرج في المدينة

---------

http://argaam.com/Portal/Content/Art...ticleId=139454

الوليد بن طلال يؤكد عزمه بناء برج أعلى من "برج خليفة" و القيام باستثمارات جديدة في الفنادق بمنطقة الخليج

بعد ايام من افتتاح دبي "برج خليفة" الاعلى في العالم والذي يصل ارتفاعه الى 828 مترا، اكد الملياردير السعودي الامير الوليد بن طلال عزمه المضي قدما في مشروعه لبناء برج يتجاوز ارتفاعه الف متر في جدة غرب السعودية.

واكد الامير الوليد عزم مجموعته "المملكة القابضة" القيام باستثمارات جديدة في الفنادق بمنطقة الخليج.

وذكر الوليد انه حول ملكية 180 مليون سهم يملكها في مجموعة سيتي غروب المصرفية الاميركية بقيمة 597 مليون دولار الى مجموعة المملكة القابضة من دون كلفة، ما سيتيح للمجموعة جمع اموال لاستثمارات في المستقبل.

وقال في مؤتمر صحافي عقده في برج المملكة في الرياض "انا متفائل بالنسبة للمستقبل ... نتطلع دائما الى استثمارات جديدة".

والبرج الذي ينوي الامير الوليد بناءه في جدة هو الجزء الرئيسي من مشروع "مدينة المملكة في جدة" او "جدة كينغدوم سيتي".

وكانت مجموعة المملكة القابضة اعلنت منتصف العام الماضي انها اختارت مجموعة اعمار العقارية العملاقة في دبي، وهي مطورة "برج خليفة"، لتطوير مشروع جدة كينغدوم سيتي وضمنه البرج والاشراف عليه.

ويفترض ان يبنى المشروع على قطعة ارض قريبة من مطار جدة الدولي ويتضمنان معا 23 مليون متر مربع من الفضاء التجاري والسكني والمكاتب. وتبلغ كلفة المشروع 6,26 مليار دولار.

----------

NEEDS TRANSLATION, and by the way, i think we are very close to remove this topic from the proposed to the under construction !!

GulfArabia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2010, 05:33 PM   #1007
Rody69

Likes (Received): 1918

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest89 View Post
I hate to go off topic again but as I told a forumer yesterday:

What I said is Dubai is emerging as the next global 21st century capital that rivals New York, London and Hong Kong. Air Traffic? Dubai international Airport is in the top 10 INTERNATIONAL airports and top 15 cargo airport. Dubai has the biggest and largest man made port and 8th in cargo shipments. Dubai is sure to overtake New York in the next 15-20 years. 2,500 BRITISH companies alone are in Dubai. 1,500 international companies in the airport free-zone alone. Dubai is doing well and will do better in the near future.

When you ask anybody where they want to go in the middle east, the first thing they say is Dubai. Dubai's geography is perfect. It is within 6 hr flight for over 2 Billion people. When a company relocates, it relocates to Dubai, not Jeddah.

What about infrastructure, education and healthcare? Not even close to Dubai. Do yourself a poll and ask random people where they want to go within the middle east. If one says Jeddah I will take you out to lunch.

Sorry for being off topic, had to respond.
'
dude!!
ease it on your self!! it's bad for your health
what I'm trying to say,you can't compare the two cities,everyone has it's own conditions.
one of them building "mostly" to attract tourists,workers,visitors and the other has a huge local demand (got it now??)
and you say again "Do yourself a poll and ask random people where they want to go within the middle east" ,I tell you: do yourself a favor and read carefully what I wrote
I was replying on this question (I wonder who will be the buyers of office/home space for that tower. Prices could be higher than the BK's announcement.)
don't think I'm trying to Underestimate my BELOVED Dubai,but if you have some "Inferiority complex" because of something...it's your problem Mr Guest.so don't get us involved with it
@the end sorry if I hurt your feelings with my previous post
Old January 17th, 2010, 05:44 PM   #1008
Guest89
----SSC ®----

Quote:
'
dude!!
ease it on your self!! it's bad for your health
what I'm trying to say,you can't compare the two cities,everyone has it's own conditions.
one of them building "mostly" to attract tourists,workers,visitors and the other has a huge local demand (got it now??)
and you say again "Do yourself a poll and ask random people where they want to go within the middle east" ,I tell you: do yourself a favor and read carefully what I wrote
I was replying on this question (I wonder who will be the buyers of office/home space for that tower. Prices could be higher than the BK's announcement.)
don't think I'm trying to Underestimate my BELOVED Dubai,but if you have some "Inferiority complex" because of something...it's your problem Mr Guest.so don't get us involved with it
@the end sorry if I hurt your feelings with my previous post

Good. Point taken and we are now on the same page. Before you quote me, make sure you quote the sentence that you are trying to respond to. I am not a fortune teller that is able to predict which part of my sentences you will be trying to respond to. Inferiority Complex? More like facts. As regards to the local population, we will see how many of them will even consider buying space there.

I will go a bit further and request that we talk about Kingdom Tower that happens to [maybe] being built in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia and stop including Dubai in the discussion. We have plenty of Dubai threads to do that in.

Old January 17th, 2010, 06:02 PM   #1009
Rody69

Likes (Received): 1918

Quote:

I will go a bit further and request that we talk about Kingdom Tower that happens to [maybe] being built in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia and stop including Dubai in the discussion. We have plenty of Dubai threads to do that in.
don't worry it's going to be built,maybe sooner than you think
Old January 17th, 2010, 06:40 PM   #1010
Guest89
----SSC ®----

Quote:
don't worry it's going to be built,maybe sooner than you think
The construction might start sooner than I think. The completion will probably finish later than all of us think.

Old January 17th, 2010, 06:58 PM   #1011
Philly Bud
City Of Brotherly Love

Likes (Received): 246

Quote:

We're not supposed to have city versus city discussions, but I agree with Guest on this one.

Dubai has emerged as a world class city and is very cosmopolitan. It is a major port in the world, and an important tourist destination as well.

Rival of Hong Kong, London, and New York? Perhaps as a financial center ... but just because foreign companies maintain an office (or even just a postal box!) does not mean the city will overtake the Hang Seng or the Dow Jones. Remember that New York is a city of 8.5 million people in a metro area of 18.5 million, London has over 7 million in a metro area of 13.5 million, same goes for Hong Kong. Great cities are more than financial institutions and I think it will take a few generations more before Dubai has the number and quality of cultural institutions: Symphony orchestras, ballet companies, museums, art galleries, film festivals, the opera, botanical gardens and arboretums, colleges and universities, medical research hospitals, libraries and archives, palaces (in the case of London), etc.

Dubai, in my view, is emerging as another Singapore - a major regional hub.

Philly Bud no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2010, 09:44 PM   #1012
Myster E

Likes (Received): 73

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_cd View Post
I don't know what a ridiculously tall luxury condo/rental tower with offices will do for those people, but hey what do I know? Dubai built all of those buildings in the desert and they didn't have any financial trouble, am I right?

It was your little post that derailed this thread with factual arguments, but nonetheless, has strayed off topic.

Myster E no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2010, 10:19 PM   #1013
Guest89
----SSC ®----

Back on topic guys... enough of comparisons and pessimism. Lets see what happens with this tower. Will be interesting to watch!

Old January 18th, 2010, 11:00 AM   #1014
GulfArabia

Likes (Received): 1513

it doesn't have to be visited by Westerners to be an international city, jeddah has enough visitors from muslim countries to need such expansion and towers, kitayabi made a good points, and Guest89 is just Jealouse

(is an emotion and typically refers to the negative thoughts and feelings of insecurity, fear, and anxiety over an anticipated loss of something...)

-_-

to be fair both jeddah and dubai have potential, just a different audience right now

GulfArabia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2010, 01:33 PM   #1015
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

Right.. so maybe now instead of keep going with bullsheet, can somebody translate this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GulfArabia View Post
بخصوص المشروع فشركات المقاولات استلمت مخططات للبرج واطلعت على مستندات المشروع ومخططاته ودراسة لكيفية انششائه وفقا لرؤيتان ... وتقوم بوضع أسعارها وفقا لجداول قدمتها أعمار قريبة من مستندات برج خليفة .... وشكل البرج وتوزيع أدوار انتهت ... والرسومات الهندسية (المعمارية والانشائية والميكانيكية .......إلخ تحت التنفيذ ... وبعد شهرين ستتم اعمال الحفر والبايلز طبقا لعقد منفصل ... وتمت الموافقة الرسمية على المخطط العام للمدينة واختيار موقع البرج في المدينة

---------

http://argaam.com/Portal/Content/Art...ticleId=139454

الوليد بن طلال يؤكد عزمه بناء برج أعلى من "برج خليفة" و القيام باستثمارات جديدة في الفنادق بمنطقة الخليج

بعد ايام من افتتاح دبي "برج خليفة" الاعلى في العالم والذي يصل ارتفاعه الى 828 مترا، اكد الملياردير السعودي الامير الوليد بن طلال عزمه المضي قدما في مشروعه لبناء برج يتجاوز ارتفاعه الف متر في جدة غرب السعودية.

واكد الامير الوليد عزم مجموعته "المملكة القابضة" القيام باستثمارات جديدة في الفنادق بمنطقة الخليج.

وذكر الوليد انه حول ملكية 180 مليون سهم يملكها في مجموعة سيتي غروب المصرفية الاميركية بقيمة 597 مليون دولار الى مجموعة المملكة القابضة من دون كلفة، ما سيتيح للمجموعة جمع اموال لاستثمارات في المستقبل.

وقال في مؤتمر صحافي عقده في برج المملكة في الرياض "انا متفائل بالنسبة للمستقبل ... نتطلع دائما الى استثمارات جديدة".

والبرج الذي ينوي الامير الوليد بناءه في جدة هو الجزء الرئيسي من مشروع "مدينة المملكة في جدة" او "جدة كينغدوم سيتي".

وكانت مجموعة المملكة القابضة اعلنت منتصف العام الماضي انها اختارت مجموعة اعمار العقارية العملاقة في دبي، وهي مطورة "برج خليفة"، لتطوير مشروع جدة كينغدوم سيتي وضمنه البرج والاشراف عليه.

ويفترض ان يبنى المشروع على قطعة ارض قريبة من مطار جدة الدولي ويتضمنان معا 23 مليون متر مربع من الفضاء التجاري والسكني والمكاتب. وتبلغ كلفة المشروع 6,26 مليار دولار.

----------

NEEDS TRANSLATION, and by the way, i think we are very close to remove this topic from the proposed to the under construction !!
Old January 18th, 2010, 02:02 PM   #1016
taseer121
Lahore Qalandar!!!

Likes (Received): 569

this is nothing but madness

http://www.youtube.com/user/citycentregreen

taseer121 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2010, 02:10 PM   #1017
Dark Matter
I'm Everywhere

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by taseer121 View Post
this is nothing but madness
Madness?

Dark Matter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2010, 03:05 PM   #1018
no_gods

Likes (Received): 68

For the translation, try "Google translation". Lots of mistakes, but still possible to understand what they mean.

no_gods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2010, 07:07 PM   #1019
kitayabi

Likes (Received): 351

Quote:
Originally Posted by GulfArabia View Post
!
sorry am I reading this right, it says that piling work should start in 2 month, I wasn't aware they had chosen an architect.

kitayabi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2010, 07:20 PM   #1020
ibib

Likes (Received): 2894

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitayabi View Post
sorry am I reading this right, it says that piling work should start in 2 month, I wasn't aware they had chosen an architect.
It says that they already received the plan and will start piling after 2 months by a seperate contractor, but what is the final design??!!

Tags
hypertall, jeddah economic city, jeddah tower, kingdom tower, megatall, tallest