daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 29th, 2015, 02:00 PM   #10841
cesdb

Likes (Received): 7

Sky is the limit... I am pretty sure we will see those numbers soon...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ-II View Post
I'm 26 now, and i hope i'll see towers up to at least 1500m or 2000m in my lifetime. Not sure how realistic that is but we'll see what happens over the next few decades

Kanto liked this post
cesdb no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 29th, 2015, 02:04 PM   #10842
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8241

since the petronas we get a new tallest building every 6 years. now with kingdom tower it is a bit longer, possibly 9 years. i could imagine this trend to continue and we seeing a 1200m building by 2027 and a 1500m building by the mid 30s. But then again we had waves of skyscrapers before and they may end at one time.
KillerZavatar está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2015, 03:36 PM   #10843
evernikao
Ever

Likes (Received): 2785

It's amazing right!
But I believe at some point one building will get to be te tallest forever, because although, the sky is the limit...... more realisticly the "AIR" is the limit, for as we get higher the air gets thinner, so Think the limit could be around 2000 - 3000 mts.

But you know, time have prove most people wrong, so lets see what happens.

Also i think buildings not only will get higher but, we will also see new inventions in architectural design and engineering development.... some new crazy buildings that defy everything we have thought and seen!!

Last edited by evernikao; March 29th, 2015 at 05:05 PM.
evernikao no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2015, 04:21 PM   #10844
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

there are cities located in very high places. A lot above 4000m even: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...s_in_the_world

The cities that are most likely to get a Super Tower like that are all located near water and therefor also located close to the water level. New York, Dubai, Shanghai, Shenzhen, all have a very low altitude. So build a skyscraper of 4000m roof height and there will be no problem with air, especially since the people are inside the building and the air can be regulated. A top of that the roof is rarely the highest point of the building. A crown or spire can easily add a few hundret meter.

CrazyDave liked this post
Old March 29th, 2015, 04:42 PM   #10845
jogiba

Likes (Received): 434

El Alto International Airport is at 4,061.5m /13,325ft and El Alto has a population of 1,184,942 people living above 4,000 meters so a 4,000 m building height should be possible in cities like NYC, Dubai ,Shanghai etc.
jogiba no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2015, 04:56 PM   #10846
evernikao
Ever

Likes (Received): 2785

Do you think we will a 4K tall building?? Yiiissss that would be so mind blowing!!

I know there are towns in very high places, in my country we have them too.... theres is a small town at 4100mts amls..... and if you run very fast.. you´d definetly passed out hehe

anyway I still think there will be a limit, because, at 5000mts, it´s permanently frozen at ecuador, and moving north or south get colder and colder. ( In new york or shaghai, a 4k building would be an Ice stick.)

At 7500mts is the death zone where no humas can live longer than a day.

So at some point one building will top out, and humanity will move towards something new.

But don´t worry non of us will be alive when humanity reach that point!! fellas
For now lets just admire this awesome building, wich is incredibly impressive!!!

Mahdi Rasoul liked this post

Last edited by evernikao; March 29th, 2015 at 05:04 PM.
evernikao no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2015, 05:26 PM   #10847
The Shard Baby
Future architect

Likes (Received): 2308

We may eventually have a 4K tower indeed, but it may even be possible to build a building taller than Mount Everest of approximately* 8850+ metres.
Lawfully, a building has have at least half of its floorspace occupiable to be classed as the world's tallest building; otherwise it would be the world's tallest structure.

I seem to recall that there is also a requirement that the highest occupiable floor has to be at least above the half way point up the tower (correct me if I am wrong) - so that means one day we might be able to construct (with suplementary oxygen of course) a man-made structure taller than the tallest natural giant on this planet! Whereby the highest occupiable floor is higher than approximately 4425 metres!

*Everest is still growing at a rate of 6.1cm/year.
The Shard Baby's YouTube channel
Visit The Shard Baby 1998's Flickr:
The Shard Baby 1998 Flickr

Kingdom Tower LIVE cam
The Shard Baby no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2015, 07:15 PM   #10848
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6526

Quote:
Originally Posted by jogiba View Post
El Alto International Airport is at 4,061.5m /13,325ft and El Alto has a population of 1,184,942 people living above 4,000 meters so a 4,000 m building height should be possible in cities like NYC, Dubai ,Shanghai etc.
sorry, but that doesn't make any sense.
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2015, 07:29 PM   #10849
Ch.W

Likes (Received): 5180

I would appreciate like the most people here also a 1500m or 2000m building. And i think i will see it in my lifetime. But i think at some hights the costs in relation to the use will be so bad that no one would build higher. Kingdom Tower was also planed to be 1 mile high but decreased for technical problems to build such a tall structure. Of course they could develop new technics new materials and so on but as i said at some time it does not make sense to increase the hight without any level. But i'm glad i'm only 33 so i will witness (hopefully) a 2000m hypertall

ZZ-II, Mahdi Rasoul, The Shard Baby liked this post
Ch.W no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2015, 08:04 PM   #10850
Sami1995

Likes (Received): 89

The progress so far in 6 months time frame
Old March 29th, 2015, 08:38 PM   #10851
The-Real-Link
The-Real-Link!!

Likes (Received): 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sami1995 View Post

It's come quite a long way for sure, but the best part about that six months? It's the slowest in KT's construction. It should only get faster / keep on schedule from here. Two to three floors a week / 100 floors a year should be a reasonable goal so looking forward to the rest of 2015 / 2016!

Gabriel, great Marina comparison by the way

surfnasi liked this post
The-Real-Link no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2015, 11:02 PM   #10852
SkYsCrApEr2013
The AlphaWolf of the Pack

Likes (Received): 2083

Quote:
I'm 26 now, and i hope i'll see towers up to at least 1500m or 2000m in my lifetime. Not sure how realistic that is but we'll see what happens over the next few decades
During the next few decades we will almost certainly see a 100,000km high space elevator

Burj Khalifa, Shanghai Tower, Makkah Royal Clock Tower Hotel, Ping An Finance Center,
Goldin Finance 117, One World Trade Center, Chow Tai Fook Centre, Taipei 101, Shanghai World Financial Center and International Commerce Center.

R.I.P. Sawtooth Pack. You will be deeply missed.

I'm a really huge wolf lover! :D

I'M BACK!!!!
SkYsCrApEr2013 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2015, 11:04 PM   #10853
Mahdi Rasoul

Likes (Received): 217

del

SkYsCrApEr2013, Mazin00 liked this post

Last edited by Mahdi Rasoul; August 14th, 2017 at 11:42 PM.
Mahdi Rasoul no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2015, 11:41 PM   #10854
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Quote:
Originally Posted by jogiba View Post
Wow, El Alto has one of the worst climates I ever saw. It'll definitely have an eppearance in my "Cities with worst climate" thread

As to how high skyscrapers can get, I don't think there are any limits to how high can a building get. Who knows, one day we might see 10 kilometer buildings that are pressurized like airplanes, we might see 100 kilometer buildings that are surrounded with a forcefield, we might see 100 lightyear buildings that exist in a tear in the fabric of space time, we might see 100 billion lightyear buildings that span throughout multiple paralel universes ........ Now this is crazy fantasy, insanely crazy fantasy, however we have to look at what a Homo habilis would have thought if he saw the Kingdom Tower. Wouldn't he think the same? Wouldn't he think that this is crazy fantasy?

The human race has entered a science spree since the start of the industrial revolution about 200 years ago. During these 200 years our technology has evolved from horses to Space shuttles, from letter delivery postmen to tablets, from calculating on a piece of paper to Windows 8.1. From the originally 146 meter Great Piramid to the approximately 840 meter Kingdom Tower. These are just a measely 200 years. Just imagine what might be in a million years, or in a billion years (that is if the human race survives). Well, you can pretty much stop imagining it because nobody today can even grasp the technology we might developed by that time, just as a Homo habilis couldn't grasp the technology behind the Kingdom Tower. I will post here a very good quote from Sir Arthur Eddington, a renowned british astronomer who said:

Not only is the universe stranger than we imagine, it is stranger than we can imagine.

I think this quote holds true to absolutely any field in science, whether it's astronomy, physics or skyscraper engineering
Old March 29th, 2015, 11:58 PM   #10855
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

how can you count the pyramids to the top and this one only to the roof. aren't the pyramids basically all "spire" if you so will.
Old March 30th, 2015, 12:08 AM   #10856
ramses59

Likes (Received): 92

gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sami1995 View Post

you can create a big GIF with this 6 pictures ?
ramses59 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2015, 12:15 AM   #10857
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerZavatar View Post
how can you count the pyramids to the top and this one only to the roof. aren't the pyramids basically all "spire" if you so will.
The pyramids do have classic floors inside so they are buildings. They should be classified as tower, the same cathegory as the Sky Tree or CN Tower. Not enough floors to be skyscrapers, but still some floors thanks to which they are buildings, not just structures

As to height, the pyramids are tappering at a far greater angle than the Kingdom Tower, this means that they are sufficiently wide nearly 'til the pinnacle and the angle of the remaining few meters is sufficiently large for the top to be classified as a teppering roof. One could say that the roof of the pyramids thats at the base of the building and reaches 'til the pinnacle

On the other hand the Kingdom Tower becomes too thin very far from its pinnacle. This means that the angle formed by the pinnacle is too small. That in turn classifies the thin part of the structure as a spire, and it is therefore not counted

To put it in a simpler way, the definition of a spire is that it is a thin stick. This means that the height to width ration of a sufficiently thin structural element has to be sufficiently large, in order for it to be still percieved as "thin". That's the case of the Kingdom Tower. When the Kingdom Tower reaches a width of 15 meters, there is still about 167 meters ahead, which gives a height to width ratio of more than 11:1. On the other hand when the Great Pyramid reaches a width of 15 meters, there is only about 10 meters ahead, so its ratio is only 2:3. This is the reason why the thin section of the Great Pyramid can be considered a tappering roof, but the thin section of the Kingdom Tower is considered a spire and therefore not counted

The Shard Baby liked this post
Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2015, 02:36 AM   #10858
jogiba

Likes (Received): 434

Quote:
sorry, but that doesn't make any sense.
That was in response to erernikao who posted "more realisticly the "AIR" is the limit, for as we get higher the air gets thinner, so Think the limit could be around 2000 - 3000 mts.". There will be no 4,000m building built so it's not worth even discussing it in this thread IMHO.
jogiba no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2015, 03:48 AM   #10859
CrazyDave

Likes (Received): 192

Quote:
I think there will be a race among developers to build a Mile High Tower (1,600) Meters. Once that happens I expect you won't see a new WTB for a very long time. Keep in mind that the ESB was the WTB for 38 years!
CrazyDave no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2015, 03:59 AM   #10860
KøbenhavnK

Likes (Received): 354

I seriously doubt that there will be a race to build a mile-high-tower.

Every concievable place this would be build use the metric system and no one relates to (or cares about) miles.

1500 meters would be a bet though.
KøbenhavnK no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
hypertall, jeddah economic city, jeddah tower, kingdom tower, megatall, tallest