daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 19th, 2015, 05:55 PM   #11141
Dancing Banana

Likes (Received): 277

i love sears tower but this thread is about kingdom tower

Mazin00 liked this post
Dancing Banana no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 19th, 2015, 06:52 PM   #11142
jogiba

Likes (Received): 434

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
And?

Just because it's minimalist doesn't mean it's generic.
DFDalton said this about the Kingdom Tower :
"Meh. Once they reach a certain height, tall is tall. Other than height there is nothing really that special about the tower. "

And since he uses Willis Tower as his Avatar his post was click bait in this thread IMHO. I said it looks like a generic office building and not a generic building. When I was in the Sears Tower in March 1977 when new the lobby looked like any other skyscraper and the lobby in the north and south towers of the WTC was much more impressive along with the 200ftx200ft observation deck compared to the much smaller 75x150 Sears Tower observation deck. The north tower did not have an observation deck but had Windows on the World Restaurant were my sister had her wedding reception before September 11 2001 and her birthday is September 11.
jogiba no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2015, 06:59 PM   #11143
SkYsCrApEr2013
The AlphaWolf of the Pack

Likes (Received): 2083

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFDalton View Post
Meh. Once they reach a certain height, tall is tall. Other than height there is nothing really that special about the tower. The interesting thing is the construction, and you'd never get within half a mile of it while it's being built.

Plus, it's in the middle of nowhere. So you travel thousands of miles (by plane where you get a view from 30,000 feet, not 3000), crane your neck, and proceed to "ohhh" and "ahhh" for 2 minutes. Then what?
When! Will! People! Stop! Saying! That! Especially! Since! We've! Said! The! Answer! Like! A! Quadrillion! Times!

Burj Khalifa, Shanghai Tower, Makkah Royal Clock Tower Hotel, Ping An Finance Center,
Goldin Finance 117, One World Trade Center, Chow Tai Fook Centre, Taipei 101, Shanghai World Financial Center and International Commerce Center.

R.I.P. Sawtooth Pack. You will be deeply missed.

I'm a really huge wolf lover! :D

I'M BACK!!!!

The Shard Baby, Ch.W, GulfArabia liked this post
SkYsCrApEr2013 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2015, 07:29 PM   #11144
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsaif2012 View Post

This metal model looks awesome, though sadly I think it might be quite expensive. I have bought metal models of the Willis Tower and the Twin Towers of the WTC from ebay. They were smaller models and had a good affordable price. But I saw that larger pewter models can cost up to 200 USD. That's the reason why I started with constructing my own models. For rectangular buildings like the Hong Kong ICC, or 432 Park Avenue a metal hand saw and a rectangular steel beam from an ironware shop are enough, though I plan on starting creating skyscraper models out of concrete too. I plan on inserting large screws into the concrete models to make them essentially indestructible - I want them to be arround long after I'm gone, something like my artistic legacy for future generations to come
Old April 19th, 2015, 08:10 PM   #11145
edwin1216
edwin 1216

Likes (Received): 377

have one bulding more tall in ibague colombia, in a montain subjet ibague have 500000 h
edwin1216 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2015, 09:25 PM   #11146
londonfai

Likes (Received): 162

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel900 View Post
Jeddah is a populated city no doubt and the location of this tower is not bad but what I am questioning is how mentally ready locals are to welcome tourists? UAE was always very opened and welcoming to Westerns and Christians wayyy before the building boom while Saudi Arabia isn't really! Plus in order to transform Jeddah to a touristic city, they need to change major laws and regulations they have. Unless this tower and the biggest mall and performing fountains planned with it (Carbon copy of Downtown Dubai) are aimed only for locals!
Jeddah and Mecca are very multicultural, the people are very welcoming and open, and its the least conservative region in KSA. If you were talking about Riyadh, then yeah, I would say you were right.

The tourism laws are gradually changing, they go hand in hand with enhancements in tourism infrastructure, which is still not ready.
londonfai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2015, 11:03 PM   #11147
alsaif2012
El Seif Engineering

Likes (Received): 6789

19/04/2015

big size

Saleh93, K.S.A, Wrocer, maksnikiforov, Munwon and 21 others liked this post
alsaif2012 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2015, 11:41 PM   #11148
K.S.A
Jeddah Tower Lover

Likes (Received): 4363

they're installing 5th crane ... wow awesome
Old April 19th, 2015, 11:49 PM   #11149
Ch.W

Likes (Received): 5180

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkYsCrApEr2013 View Post
When! Will! People! Stop! Saying! That! Especially! Since! We've! Said! The! Answer! Like! A! Quadrillion! Times!
I would bet a beer that the next question comes in no more than 2 weeks.
For sure you don't can ask one to read the whole thread before posting questions but this is indeed a really needless question. Next time i won't react on such questions.

K.S.A, londonfai, SkYsCrApEr2013 liked this post
Ch.W no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2015, 02:16 AM   #11150
The-Real-Link
The-Real-Link!!

Likes (Received): 300

Nice progress, thanks for the update. Good to see the wings become more substantial and caught up a little.
The-Real-Link no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2015, 10:06 AM   #11151
CopyLeft
Architect

Likes (Received): 277

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkYsCrApEr2013 View Post
Calm down. He's right in some ways. This is just another example of a human scaledicking.
Plus, thousands of years after the Babylon tower myth, people just have to eventually build a F**kin huge tower - at least to annoy all 3,800+ gods there are.

Kanto liked this post
CopyLeft no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2015, 02:20 PM   #11152
HiJazzey
Come on!

Likes (Received): 194

Quote:
Jeddah is a populated city no doubt and the location of this tower is not bad but what I am questioning is how mentally ready locals are to welcome tourists? UAE was always very opened and welcoming to Westerns and Christians wayyy before the building boom while Saudi Arabia isn't really! Plus in order to transform Jeddah to a touristic city, they need to change major laws and regulations they have. Unless this tower and the biggest mall and performing fountains planned with it (Carbon copy of Downtown Dubai) are aimed only for locals!
1) What does tourism have to do with this project? It's a mixed use development, not a resort. It's success hinges on finding tenants willing to pay the premium, and the target market is mostly local (GCC). Western tourists taking photos of the tower are completely irrelevant.

2) "Mentally ready to welcome tourists"???? Trade and tourism is a cornerstone of Hijazi society and has been for millennia. Millions of pilgrims to Mecca and Medina, ships docking in the main port of the red sea (Jeddah), foreign legations. The Hijaz has always been diverse and cosmopolitan.
Traditionally people worked in either trade or hospitality.
So please don't condescend with the "are the locals ready" talk.

BTW Jeddah had 2 churches, a Greek orthodox (there was a sizeable community of Greeks and Lebanese) and an Anglican church that was built by the British. The remains of the British church are still there.

GulfArabia liked this post
HiJazzey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2015, 03:02 PM   #11153
iKHALEDM

Likes (Received): 1464

For my opinion, no need to have churches to be "opened and welcome" for tourism! And our laws are really good! No need to take others' laws to have a good tourism.
iKHALEDM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2015, 03:59 PM   #11154
Rody69

Likes (Received): 1918

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiJazzey View Post
1) What does tourism have to do with this project? It's a mixed use development, not a resort. It's success hinges on finding tenants willing to pay the premium, and the target market is mostly local (GCC). Western tourists taking photos of the tower are completely irrelevant.

2) "Mentally ready to welcome tourists"???? Trade and tourism is a cornerstone of Hijazi society and has been for millennia. Millions of pilgrims to Mecca and Medina, ships docking in the main port of the red sea (Jeddah), foreign legations. The Hijaz has always been diverse and cosmopolitan.
Traditionally people worked in either trade or hospitality.
So please don't condescend with the "are the locals ready" talk.

BTW Jeddah had 2 churches, a Greek orthodox (there was a sizeable community of Greeks and Lebanese) and an Anglican church that was built by the British. The remains of the British church are still there.
and just a little reminder for Mr Gabriel900..
according to the World Tourism Ranking Jeddah (as a city) was visited by more than 14 million "international tourist" last year not to mention visitors from inside the Kingdom, while the whole U.A.E was visited by around 10 million (and according to the U.A.E numbers guess what! more than 30% of them were Saudis )
We are not here to compare any city with another, specially the U.A.E cities as we "As Saudis" love the U.A.E as if it's our own country for many many reasons.

Last edited by Rody69; April 20th, 2015 at 04:22 PM.
Rody69 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2015, 04:20 PM   #11155
Rody69

Likes (Received): 1918

Quote:
I am really sorry to say this, but this shows a narrow and a little bit racist mind for many reason:
1- you're talking about The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia as a little village while its a 2.5 million square meter and more than 33 million living in the country in more than 16 major city and more than a hundred smaller cities and villages .
2- The world is not only consist of western people and Christians, and I guess there are more than 1.8 billion person are dreaming to come and visit (no offense to any race or religion)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiM View Post
First try to even access the country normally. This takes already some doing.

Because of this and the conservative laws and the overall appearance of the country, Kingdom Tower will not be an option to travel to for me. Burj Khalifa/ the UAE / Dubai is the real deal.

I hope to see a change of the attitude of Saudi-Arabia in the near future. Kingdom Tower is great, no doubt, but I wait until it is no problem to travel to SA anymore.
Bla...Bla...Bla
Are you even an Emarati? because I don't think so
by the way, your statement about accessing the country "Normally" was just funny LMFAO

K.S.A, iKHALEDM, Saleh93 liked this post
Rody69 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2015, 07:57 PM   #11156
GulfArabia

Likes (Received): 1513

Quote:
omg how many times do we have to repeat this, Jeddah is the Gateway to Mecca !

mecca doesn't have an airport, the airport lays in jeddah a few kms away.

you may not be a potential tourists (at the moment) but 2 Billion muslims are.

who knows what the future holds, Dubai is not far..

Rahmah, sidways liked this post
GulfArabia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2015, 09:58 PM   #11157
The Shard Baby
Future architect

Likes (Received): 2308

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsaif2012 View Post
19/04/2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.S.A View Post
It seems not to be just another crane K.S.A ... Tower Crane 5 (TC5) appears to be suspended in that picture!
The Shard Baby's YouTube channel
Visit The Shard Baby 1998's Flickr:
The Shard Baby 1998 Flickr

Kingdom Tower LIVE cam

K.S.A, Homitzky liked this post
The Shard Baby no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2015, 10:17 PM   #11158
Mahdi Rasoul

Likes (Received): 217

del

K.S.A, Ch.W, Rahmah liked this post

Last edited by Mahdi Rasoul; August 14th, 2017 at 11:28 PM.
Mahdi Rasoul no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2015, 02:07 AM   #11159
Pablobegood

Likes (Received): 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.S.A View Post

And look at the very base: seems they are starting with the 1st floor slab!

Shaddorry, The Shard Baby liked this post
Pablobegood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2015, 08:39 AM   #11160
The-Real-Link
The-Real-Link!!

Likes (Received): 300

Even with thick reinforced walls, not sure how high the core and wings can get without lateral support. I'd imagine that while it could go pretty high on it's own, floors are structurally necessary soon enough. Nice to see the starting of floors
The-Real-Link no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
hypertall, jeddah economic city, jeddah tower, kingdom tower, megatall, tallest