daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 8th, 2010, 05:09 AM   #1121
krkseg1ops

Likes (Received): 1153

You don't need to be in a building boom to build a 1km tower More like free billions of $$

NijmegenCity liked this post
krkseg1ops no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 8th, 2010, 07:52 AM   #1122
nxthenx

Likes (Received): 7

London based MEED (7:4:10) reports:

Contractors to submit prices for world’s tallest tower

Contractors are preparing to submit prices on 14 April for the contract to build the 1-kilometre-high tower on the outskirts of Jeddah for the local Kingdom Holding.

The bidders include South Korea’s Samsung Corporation with Dubai-based Arabtec Construction, the local El-Seif Engineering & Contracting and Belgium’s Six Construct, the local Saudi Oger, and the local Saudi Binladin Group (SBG).

nxthenx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2010, 11:13 AM   #1123
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

I think Samsung is company for the job, btw things are geting more and more serious. For those who have doubst about that project: they are choosing the main contractor witch means those are no more rumors, and that they may start construction really soon. Maybe after half year we will enjoy first updates from the site. At least i hope so.

patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2010, 01:10 PM   #1124
Rody69

Likes (Received): 1918

^ what do you think about next September?
Old April 8th, 2010, 01:39 PM   #1125
Abdy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4

Blabla blabla...

Abdy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2010, 02:23 PM   #1126
patrykus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rody69 View Post
^ what do you think about next September?
Sarcastic? No, im not an "inside person" or anything, thats just my speculation. September would be nice, even if it was just a soil testing that would be great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdy View Post
Blabla blabla...
I had my doubts about it some time ago, because it is one of this crazy projects that shouldn't happened, right? But since they are make one serious step, after another.. I mean, why they would do all this: hiring emaar as the developer, after that smith to design this, and now they will choose direct contractor for the building. I still have some doubts but i think in one year time it will turns out if it was just a dust.
Old April 8th, 2010, 09:33 PM   #1127
krkseg1ops

Likes (Received): 1153

I still have doubts but right now I think it is highly unlikely that Saudis suddenly say 'Nah, we were just kidding with this whole mile-high-tower thing'. This thing has gone from a vision to an actual proposal that got accepted and funding secured.

krkseg1ops no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2010, 12:34 AM   #1128
wolf839
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

wolf839 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2010, 05:23 AM   #1129
Dubaiiscool:)

Likes (Received): 16

Arabtec drops Saudi tower bid

Arabtec Construction and its partner Samsung are no longer vying for an estimated US$1.5 billion (Dh5.5bn) deal to build what could become the tallest tower in the world.

The joint venture had planned to submit its price this month for the 1.1km-tall Kingdom Tower in Saudi Arabia but pulled out because of “various reasons associated with the requirements”, said Tom Barry, the chief executive of Arabtec Construction, a unit of Arabtec Holding.

“We couldn’t comply so we decided not to bid.”

The tower, which if built would eclipse Dubai’s 818-metre Burj Khalifa, is being planned by Kingdom Holding, the business conglomerate owned by the Saudi Prince Alwaleed bin Talal bin Abdulaziz Al Saud.

The skyscraper has been mooted for a number of years although progress has been slow, prompting speculation on whether it would see the light of day.

The Arabtec and Samsung joint venture originally submitted a bid last year but was later asked to revise its pricing because of the financial crisis and subsequent fall in construction costs.

Emaar Properties, with which both companies worked on the Burj Khalifa, was appointed as the project’s consultant last summer.

The bid deadline was originally set for last Wednesday but has been extended by two weeks, said Philippe Dessoy, the general manager of Six Construct, which is still planning to compete for the contract in partnership with El Seif Engineering, a Saudi Arabian company. The partners also submitted a bid last year.

“I would say the project has a 50-50 chance of going ahead,” Mr Dessoy said.

Saudi Oger and Saudi Binladin Group are also competing for the project, which forms part of Kingdom City, a development that has an estimated construction cost of $26.6bn.

Contractors from the UAE are looking to boost their order books with work in Saudi Arabia, where strong population growth continues to fuel demand for property.

There is a shortage of 2 million homes in the kingdom and the need for another 1.4 million over the next 10 years, according to a report from the property consultancy CB Richard Ellis.

The country’s population is expected to grow by another 33 million by 2020.

The Saudi Arabian government is also investing heavily in the country’s infrastructure. Arabtec set up a unit in the kingdom in March last year in a move aimed at helping it to weather the slowdown in the UAE.

With land values increasing in Saudi Arabia, tall towers are one way of easing the housing shortage. But projects the size of Kingdom Tower can be very demanding on contractors in terms of initial funding and logistics, said Saud Masud, a property analyst at UBS bank. “Plus, Saudi is not known for being a high-margin region, especially when certain contractors are introduced into the market via local players,” Mr Masud said.

http://www.thenational.ae/apps/pbcs....704159889/1005

Dubaiiscool:) no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2010, 05:52 AM   #1130
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Likes (Received): 350

Hi all.

Not sure I like the sounds of that - Arabtec/Samsung couldn't comply so decided not to bid.

I wonder what the requirements are ?
Must be very stringent ...

Fury no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2010, 08:38 AM   #1131
WiGgLz01
BANNED

Likes (Received): 64

Damnit

WiGgLz01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2010, 11:49 AM   #1132
patrykus

Samsung was the best candidate.. I wonder if any of the rest of biders is experienced enough to manage such a project..
Old April 17th, 2010, 07:24 PM   #1133
korea2002

Likes (Received): 1269

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrykus View Post
Samsung was the best candidate.. I wonder if any of the rest of biders is experienced enough to manage such a project..

yeah.I wish Burj Dubai's Legend Team(Arabtec-Samsung C&T Consortium) operate this project.....

it is not only private Opinion because I from Korea.

korea2002 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2010, 09:37 PM   #1134
DennisS
Just a student

Likes (Received): 70

Just don't underestimate Six Construct, imo they were the most important party in constructing Burj Khalifa. And they're still in the race...

DennisS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2010, 08:02 PM   #1135
OldWorldResident

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
With land values increasing in Saudi Arabia, tall towers are one way of easing the housing shortage.
rofl

I forgot that Saudi Arabia is already a huge megacity sorrounded by a irreplaceable area for recreation.

I would understand it, when Tokio or New York builds a supertall like this due to its housing shortage. But in this case this argument simply sucks. Build twenty 10-story buildings and you are fine.

still a rediculous project.

OldWorldResident no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2010, 04:32 AM   #1136
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Likes (Received): 350

- and you come to a forum full of skyscraper lovers because .............. ?

Fury no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2010, 04:12 PM   #1137
OldWorldResident

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fury View Post
- and you come to a forum full of skyscraper lovers because .............. ?
... i am one of those skyscraper lovers. But "higher" is not the equivalent of "better". Good architecture comes up with its requirements.

OldWorldResident no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2010, 06:50 PM   #1138
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6530

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWorldResident View Post
rofl

I forgot that Saudi Arabia is already a huge megacity sorrounded by a irreplaceable area for recreation.

I would understand it, when Tokio or New York builds a supertall like this due to its housing shortage. But in this case this argument simply sucks. Build twenty 10-story buildings and you are fine.

still a rediculous project.
yeh, sure...Saudi Arabia is a City
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2010, 07:15 PM   #1139
DarkFenX
A B C

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ-II View Post
I think he was being a sarcastic. He is saying that with all the available land in Saudi Arabia, constructing a 1000m+ is unnecessary.

BOSTON - CITY OF CHAMPIONS

NE Patriots 2001 - NE Patriots 2003 - NE Patriots 2004 - Boston Red Sox 2004 - Boston Red Sox 2007 - Boston Celtics 2008 - Boston Bruins 2011 - Boston Red Sox 2013 - NE Patriots 2014

DarkFenX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2010, 07:30 PM   #1140
patrykus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ-II View Post
ZZ-2 how old are you? Couse youre sense of sarcasm sometimes kills me

But, seriously why you guys are bashing him only becouse he has his own opinion? If you like only reasonable skyscrapers you are automaticly out of place here? I love challanging constructions like this, and I don't care that they make no sense, becouse, seriously it does makes no sense, and he has right about that "residential shortege" explonations of constructing 1km tall tower sucks. Is this "one opinion forume" or what?

And for you OldWorldResident. If you really want to find porpouse in constructing such a tower you can put this different way: that they will build this to attract worlds attention, becouse, lets be honest, this is the only reasonable porpous. Just look at the burj khalifa, i think it did its job, it made dubai recognasible brand, right?

patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
hypertall, jeddah economic city, jeddah tower, kingdom tower, megatall, tallest