daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 8th, 2015, 03:35 PM   #11681
jogiba

Likes (Received): 434

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel900 View Post
Top 85 floors of Kingdom Tower will go unoccupied

The top 85 floors of Jeddah's under-construction marvel, Kingdom Tower, will go unoccupied as they are too narrow for apartments or offices, international reports suggest.

More on http://www.arabianbusiness.com/top-8...ed-595356.html
That is above the 152 occupied floors so why is that a big deal ? The $3.9 Billion One World Trade Center only has 94 floors above ground.
jogiba no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 8th, 2015, 06:48 PM   #11682
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8230

Why call thay even floors? Do they even build that many floors as in divided by ceiling? I guess on top of the highest occupied floor will be some maintenance floors, but above that it is basically just the concrete spire and then steel spire I thought. Why build empty floors?
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2015, 07:19 PM   #11683
The Shard Baby
Future architect

Likes (Received): 2307

So if the tower is to have 252 floors in total and there are 85 unoccupied floors, that makes the highest occupied floor Level 167 which will be 670.00 metres above ground level. As Level 167 is the top floor below the sky raft, therefore these 85 floors will be housed within the spire.

It supports what we have known before, then it has been confirmed!

The 85 unoccupied floors will be housed within the concrete spire, which will be on top of the sky raft above Level 167.

The Kingdom Tower will have 252 floors in total.
The Shard Baby's YouTube channel
Visit The Shard Baby 1998's Flickr:
The Shard Baby 1998 Flickr

Kingdom Tower LIVE cam

K.S.A, AlexDemens liked this post
The Shard Baby no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2015, 08:52 PM   #11684
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8230

So we are not only spire cheating, but also floor cheating, what a time to live in

Ch.W, The Shard Baby, humptydumpty7 liked this post
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2015, 09:17 PM   #11685
King of Construction
skyscraperized

Likes (Received): 254

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shard Baby View Post
So if the tower is to have 252 floors in total and there are 85 unoccupied floors, that makes the highest occupied floor Level 167 which will be 670.00 metres above ground level. As Level 167 is the top floor below the sky raft, therefore these 85 floors will be housed within the spire.

It supports what we have known before, then it has been confirmed!

The 85 unoccupied floors will be housed within the concrete spire, which will be on top of the sky raft above Level 167.

The Kingdom Tower will have 252 floors in total.
Wow those numbers look very familiar.

I believe Burj Khalifa has almost the same number of occupied floors (163 according to Wikipedia). So Kingdom Tower is basically the same as BK only having a much longer spire.

Btw. if all floors, occupied and unoccupied, are counted for BK it has 211 floors. But you never hear this number, officially it has "just" 163.

So with Kingdom Tower floor count will probably always be known as 167, just merely 4 floors more than BK.

Visited countries: Austria-Belgium-Bosnia & Herzegovina-Bulgaria-Canada-Croatia-Czech Republic-England-France-Germany-Greece-Hong Kong-Italy-Liechtenstein- Luxembourg
Malaysia-Montenegro-Morocco-the Netherlands-Poland-Serbia-Singapore-Spain- Switzerland-Turkey-United Arab Emirates-United States of America-Wales

Gabriel900 liked this post
King of Construction no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2015, 12:34 AM   #11686

Likes (Received): 304

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerZavatar View Post
So we are not only spire cheating, but also floor cheating, what a time to live in
The tallest today. The BK does that. And it counts.
10064 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2015, 12:49 AM   #11687
The-Real-Link
The-Real-Link!!

Likes (Received): 300

Aside from some cultural or superstitious reasoning from omitting floors, it always struck me as odd that developers would outright skip floors. I could understand in reasoning for a floor plus a mezzanine where you could call the base floor level 1 and the next full floor level 3, since that's not lying, really. Or in the case of a tall mechanical section like the Burj Khalifa where the machine space is as tall as two or three normal height floors so in the elevatoring system they're skipped (level 40-41).

But while sure, a floor can just be a slab and that's that, I figure it always had semblance of usage applied to it compared to being there for structural reasons. It would sound like parts of the KT spire would be more akin to stair landings than outright floors. But then what else do you call them?

I'd rather just say that KT has 167 floors with the above spire space having the equivalent height of 85 floors, whether it is empty, partly filled with floors, or just having structural elements only. By implying it has so many wasted floors, it only lends itself to a negative concept.

Back when the Burj was being built, I did sometimes read that an accurate description of the project was a building equivalent to a 200 story building, so again, some comparisons I think are totally valid.

The only thing else I can think of would just be developmental clout and higher prices, such as what you'd see with tall residential towers. It just psychologically sounds superior to live on the 95th floor instead of the (actual, structural) 89th floor. But again, in this case we're already well past 160 floors in either building (BK or KT). I can't think there'd be that much fuss.

Sorensen liked this post
The-Real-Link no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2015, 07:44 AM   #11688
Nhat Linh

Likes (Received): 8

Nice Building
Nhat Linh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2015, 10:06 AM   #11689
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel900 View Post
Top 85 floors of Kingdom Tower will go unoccupied

The top 85 floors of Jeddah's under-construction marvel, Kingdom Tower, will go unoccupied as they are too narrow for apartments or offices, international reports suggest.

More on http://www.arabianbusiness.com/top-8...ed-595356.html
Considering the triangular shape, nothing can be done about that. However, its design and height more than makes up for it.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2015, 04:44 PM   #11690
SkyLinePana
BANNED

Likes (Received): 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
Considering the triangular shape, nothing can be done about that. However, its design and height more than makes up for it.
well its more like "we need this height, to hell with the rationale"

megalithe liked this post
SkyLinePana no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2015, 06:02 PM   #11691
FlyFish

Likes (Received): 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyLinePana View Post
well its more like "we need this height, to hell with the rationale"
Bingo! Remember, its a monument as much as it is a functional building. It's a big "screw you" to Dubai as well. At this scale as with the Burj no one needs these buildings. There is no practical purpose to it's total height other than "look at me, mine's bigger", and "we built it because we could".

mlknyc liked this post
FlyFish no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2015, 01:09 AM   #11692
The-Real-Link
The-Real-Link!!

Likes (Received): 300

Well that and hoping to earn some tourism / build different types of economy. But yeah as was said, triangular footprint that tapers and it'll just happen at some height eventually.

It'd probably be more frustrating to see it "cheat" if another tower was of similar height or was shorter but had higher occupied floors or something, but since KT even trumps the Burj, there's no contention.
The-Real-Link no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2015, 02:13 AM   #11693
Ultros
Evil Octopussy

Likes (Received): 318

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFish View Post
There is no practical purpose to it's total height other than "look at me, mine's bigger", and "we built it because we could".
And what's wrong with that? I'd also build it if I could.

Shaddorry, londonfai, SkYsCrApEr2013 liked this post
Ultros no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2015, 05:20 AM   #11694
naki

Likes (Received): 1340

June 10, 2015 - 3:30am Wing concrete spreader is working!
Old June 10th, 2015, 06:03 AM   #11695
Indica
Top of the World

Likes (Received): 156

There are some pics floating around showing the inside of the BK spire levels. Steel was crossing all over the place, and there was not too much room, and the floors were tall at 2-3 floors height each. Really interesting stuff. I think if they really wanted to, and was able to get a return of some kind from doing so, they would not think twice about building a little platform up there for exclusive use, that maybe is only serviced by 1 lift for example. When you eyeball it and look at the floor plate it looks doable, but when you include the stairs and lift, pipes, etc.. you realize how deceiving it can be.
Old June 10th, 2015, 07:14 AM   #11696
soylomass
Punto Obelisco

Likes (Received): 25

May I ask what is the size/width of the base in meters? It's hard to guess from the pictures as there i nothing to compare with.
soylomass no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2015, 08:04 AM   #11697
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6522

Quote:
Originally Posted by soylomass View Post
May I ask what is the size/width of the base in meters? It's hard to guess from the pictures as there i nothing to compare with.
Arround 100m from wing to wing when i remember right.

iKHALEDM, enrigue8 liked this post
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2015, 10:11 AM   #11698
enrigue8
BANNED

Likes (Received): 709

Hum i doubt this one will be finish for 2019.
Only 100 meters in 1 years .If they do 100 meters per years it will take 10 years to build it.
enrigue8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2015, 10:43 AM   #11699
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6522

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrigue8 View Post
Hum i doubt this one will be finish for 2019. Only 100 meters in 1 years .If they do 100 meters per years it will take 10 years to build it.
It'll speed up alot there's no doubt. Though i don't know when. First all 3 cranes for the core and the formworks for the floors have to be installed. They progressed well with that but it seems it'll still take a few weeks.
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2015, 10:44 AM   #11700
enrigue8
BANNED

Likes (Received): 709

THANK YOU
enrigue8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
hypertall, jeddah economic city, jeddah tower, kingdom tower, megatall, tallest