daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 29th, 2010, 09:51 PM   #1241
ibib

Likes (Received): 2894

AGAIN

NijmegenCity liked this post
ibib no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 30th, 2010, 04:17 AM   #1242
helghast

Likes (Received): 147

well I don't mind it being postponed (again). I just want to see what the design look's like. Knowing it's being designed by Smith+Gill it has to be good!

helghast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2010, 04:24 AM   #1243
tonyoz
BANNED

Likes (Received): 5

Great Scott!!!

tonyoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2010, 06:03 AM   #1244
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

Any news is good news.

spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2010, 11:07 AM   #1245
K.S.A
Jeddah Tower Lover

Likes (Received): 4363

well news, we hope see any thing in site
Old July 31st, 2010, 11:22 AM   #1246
brucele

Likes (Received): 1

hi

I am so pleased to pay a visit and achieve something useful here, please contact us if you have special interest in sports shoes by login in our web:Nike Dunk SB, thank you so much for your attention!

brucele no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2010, 11:43 AM   #1247
SNAEK
(I).(♥).(KSA)

Likes (Received): 978

so , r there gonna be one mile tower and km tower ..?

=★=★=★=★=★=★=★=★=
King Abdullah Economic City
=★=★=★=★=★=★=★=★=
King Abdullah Financial District
=★=★=★=★=★=★=★=★=
My Favorite Cities
Riyadh Vancouver Dubai Jeddah Tokyo Toronto Bogotá Seoul

SNAEK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2010, 04:47 AM   #1248
Parisian Girl
MONACO _ Côte d'Azur

Likes (Received): 2829

Quote:
Originally Posted by helghast View Post
well I don't mind it being postponed (again). I just want to see what the design look's like. Knowing it's being designed by Smith+Gill it has to be good!
Totally agree. I'm just dying to see the design too myself. Then come what may..
Old August 1st, 2010, 07:45 AM   #1249
SNAEK
(I).(♥).(KSA)

Likes (Received): 978

me too

after they had another companies , and expansing the budget , the design would be huge

=★=★=★=★=★=★=★=★=
King Abdullah Economic City
=★=★=★=★=★=★=★=★=
King Abdullah Financial District
=★=★=★=★=★=★=★=★=
My Favorite Cities
Riyadh Vancouver Dubai Jeddah Tokyo Toronto Bogotá Seoul

SNAEK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2010, 11:11 PM   #1250
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

Again news from a-z-a-m from aqarcity.com

Quote:
Still, the study of the soil did not end it in stages and is now the third phase
For the information of the study has been to the foundations of the tower for the first phase and the second was under the supervision of the Arab Company for engineering study and is working under the supervision of Emaar UAE
As for the big rigs are belong to another company and also operates under the supervision of Emaar Properties of UAE, and the project is still going through stages on creating a great site at the completion of all tests

About the work of cleaning the site is a contractor Hussein Qaisi had initially worked to clean up the site and now complete them, has been entrusted to him boot process excavation of the channel marine depth of 2-3 meters ((and then received by a company specializing digging marine channels)), which will pass from the South West of the site to be up to the tower site and then moving to the west, according to testimony that he believed the contractor will receive the initial plans after the month of Ramadan
source: http://www.aqarcity.com/t1109174-3.html#post4792132

btw I think now we definitively need someone to take some pictures of the site. A lot of action is going on. And I think this project now is about 80% certain

Last edited by patrykus; August 6th, 2010 at 11:19 PM.
patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2010, 02:57 AM   #1251
helghast

Likes (Received): 147

Since there already doing soil testing,etc. I'm surprised they haven't released any design's or concept's or anything lol

helghast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2010, 10:40 AM   #1252
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

It has been told lately that podium has been redesigned (hence new bids for the contractors), so it seems until now it was still under designing/consulting stage, but since they going to choose contractor for revised tower design, I geas it is final design now and soon they will show it.
Old August 30th, 2010, 05:42 PM   #1253
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8231

i have the feeling if it gets build, it takes 10 years from now at least till its actually finished.

KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2010, 04:44 AM   #1254
krkseg1ops

Likes (Received): 1142

I'm getting a feeling in 10 years time a 1km tower will not be such a feat we imagine today

krkseg1ops no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2010, 06:22 AM   #1255
Will737

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by krkseg1ops View Post
I'm getting a feeling in 10 years time a 1km tower will not be such a feat we imagine today
Give it 30-50 to be a reality.

Will737 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2010, 06:12 AM   #1256
ibib

Likes (Received): 2894

‘Tallest tower’ deal set for Eid
Published: Tuesday, August 31, 2010

By Angela Giuffrida www.thenational.ae

The contract to build what would be the world’s tallest building is expected to be awarded after the Eid holidays, with at least three international contractors vying to construct the 1.1km-tall Kingdom Tower in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia.

The 110 story Sears Tower is the tallest building in North America. Tannen Maury / Bloomberg News
Six Construct, a Belgian company that helped to build the Burj Khalifa, and its Saudi partner, El Seif Engineering Contracting, are vying for the project against Australia’s Multiplex Construction and Saudi BinLadin Group, one of the biggest construction companies in the region.

This is the third time in a year that the companies have bid for the contract after they were asked to revise their offers to account for a fall in construction costs and a reduction in the size of the building’s podium.

Arabtec Construction, the UAE’s largest construction company, and its South Korean partner Samsung, which also helped build the Burj Khalifa, initially made an offer for the project but pulled out this year for “various reasons associated with the requirements”, Tom Barry, the chief executive of Arabtec, said in April.

“We gave our new bid recently … They are now negotiating with about three contractors and said the contract could be awarded after Eid,” said a senior member of staff at one of the contenders, who asked not to be named.

Saudi Oger, a major Saudi contractor, placed a bid in April, but it is unclear whether the company is still competing for the project. A senior executive at the firm could not be reached for comment yesterday.

The Burj Khalifa, developed by Dubai’s Emaar Properties, is the world’s tallest building.

It took more than five years to build after encountering a delay of about a year and opened on January 4 with a huge fireworks display that was broadcast across the world.

The tower, which has more than 160 floors and includes an Armani Hotel, is the centrepiece of Downtown Dubai, a development with an estimated value of Dh73.4 billion (US$19.98bn).

Kingdom Tower has been in the works for a number of years as part of the $26.6bn Kingdom City, a large project on the outskirts of Jeddah being developed by Kingdom Holding, the business conglomerate owned by the Saudi Prince Alwaleed bin Talal bin Abdulaziz Al Saud.

Emaar was hired last summer as a development consultant for Kingdom City, which will spread over 23 million square metres and is expected to be modelled on a design similar to Emaar’s Downtown Dubai community, including a mixture of residential, commercial and entertainment facilities. The development is expected eventually to house 80,000 people.

If the latest round of negotiations for the Kingdom Tower deal ends successfully, the contract will be among the biggest to be awarded in the Gulf within the past two years.

Although Saudi Arabia’s construction sector is among the most active in the Gulf, with dozens of contractors from the UAE seeking work there, progress on many projects has dragged because of a shortage of bank lending, while contracts have been slow to come to fruition.

Still, there are signs that the sector has turned a corner, with construction spending forecast to hit $50bn this year, up from $43bn last year, as the government tries to ease a housing shortage and revamp infrastructure, according to a report last month by the kingdom’s National Commercial Bank (NCB).

ibib no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2010, 07:20 AM   #1257
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibib View Post
‘Tallest tower’ deal set for Eid
Published: Tuesday, August 31, 2010

By Angela Giuffrida www.thenational.ae

The contract to build what would be the world’s tallest building is expected to be awarded after the Eid holidays, with at least three international contractors vying to construct the 1.1km-tall Kingdom Tower in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia.

The 110 story Sears Tower is the tallest building in North America. Tannen Maury / Bloomberg News
Six Construct, a Belgian company that helped to build the Burj Khalifa, and its Saudi partner, El Seif Engineering Contracting, are vying for the project against Australia’s Multiplex Construction and Saudi BinLadin Group, one of the biggest construction companies in the region.

This is the third time in a year that the companies have bid for the contract after they were asked to revise their offers to account for a fall in construction costs and a reduction in the size of the building’s podium.

Arabtec Construction, the UAE’s largest construction company, and its South Korean partner Samsung, which also helped build the Burj Khalifa, initially made an offer for the project but pulled out this year for “various reasons associated with the requirements”, Tom Barry, the chief executive of Arabtec, said in April.

“We gave our new bid recently … They are now negotiating with about three contractors and said the contract could be awarded after Eid,” said a senior member of staff at one of the contenders, who asked not to be named.

Saudi Oger, a major Saudi contractor, placed a bid in April, but it is unclear whether the company is still competing for the project. A senior executive at the firm could not be reached for comment yesterday.

The Burj Khalifa, developed by Dubai’s Emaar Properties, is the world’s tallest building.

It took more than five years to build after encountering a delay of about a year and opened on January 4 with a huge fireworks display that was broadcast across the world.

The tower, which has more than 160 floors and includes an Armani Hotel, is the centrepiece of Downtown Dubai, a development with an estimated value of Dh73.4 billion (US$19.98bn).

Kingdom Tower has been in the works for a number of years as part of the $26.6bn Kingdom City, a large project on the outskirts of Jeddah being developed by Kingdom Holding, the business conglomerate owned by the Saudi Prince Alwaleed bin Talal bin Abdulaziz Al Saud.

Emaar was hired last summer as a development consultant for Kingdom City, which will spread over 23 million square metres and is expected to be modelled on a design similar to Emaar’s Downtown Dubai community, including a mixture of residential, commercial and entertainment facilities. The development is expected eventually to house 80,000 people.

If the latest round of negotiations for the Kingdom Tower deal ends successfully, the contract will be among the biggest to be awarded in the Gulf within the past two years.

Although Saudi Arabia’s construction sector is among the most active in the Gulf, with dozens of contractors from the UAE seeking work there, progress on many projects has dragged because of a shortage of bank lending, while contracts have been slow to come to fruition.

Still, there are signs that the sector has turned a corner, with construction spending forecast to hit $50bn this year, up from $43bn last year, as the government tries to ease a housing shortage and revamp infrastructure, according to a report last month by the kingdom’s National Commercial Bank (NCB).

I hope we'll finally see the contract awarded, as well as some new renders released.

spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2010, 09:40 PM   #1258
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

damn, i really hope they'll build it. a 1000m Tower is my dream

ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2010, 03:36 AM   #1259
krkseg1ops

Likes (Received): 1142

I read somewhere here that it got revised to 1.1km

krkseg1ops no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2010, 04:38 AM   #1260
Handbanana

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by krkseg1ops View Post
I read somewhere here that it got revised to 1.1km
That happened a long time ago. This hasn't been the mile high tower for awhile. Something about the soil not being able to safely support a tower of that size.

Handbanana no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
hypertall, jeddah economic city, jeddah tower, kingdom tower, megatall, tallest