daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 12th, 2016, 06:07 PM   #14701
Oatmeal

Likes (Received): 476

Quote:
Originally Posted by RafiAnsari View Post
I hate Dubai now... 😏
I wouldn't say I hate it, I would just say I am kinda disappointed. I know having the tallest building in the world is a cool thing but, come on Dubai. You've had it for a while, now it's time to let other cities see if they have what it takes. Plus, in my opinion, Iconic tower doesn't look as good as it could.

Since Iconic tower is pretty much just a concrete pillar, the construction time won't be very long. I really hope that JT gets to see at least a year of being the tallest building in the world.

And what even makes me more mad is that it's Emaar. Emaar already owns most of downtown and the BK. They don't need to own another tallest building.

It just grinds my gears.

Fawaz1 liked this post
Oatmeal no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 12th, 2016, 06:40 PM   #14702
RafiAnsari
Jeddah Guy

Likes (Received): 40

^Yeah! I was literally pissed off! I wanted some limelight for my city for at least some time...but they just want everything.
Old April 12th, 2016, 06:58 PM   #14703
Arzonz

Likes (Received): 448

Oh Cmon people. They can have what ever they want. And also dubai's ruler said that he and his father had a dream of having the best buildings in the world so... Yeah...

iceworld liked this post
Arzonz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2016, 07:04 PM   #14704
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3591

It's a guy-stabilized observation tower, guys. Dubai may take the title of tallest man made structure, but KT will be the tallest building for a while at least.
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2016, 07:12 PM   #14705
Oatmeal

Likes (Received): 476

^
I hope. But at the rate KT is going, I'm not to sure. Iconic tower is just an observation tower so it won't take too long to complete
Oatmeal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2016, 08:01 PM   #14706
MarshallKnight

No, I'm saying, even if the Iconic Tower is completed first, it's in a completely separate category from KT.

KT is a skyscraper, with ~167 occupiable floors. Iconic Tower not a skyscraper; it's an observation tower in the same category as the CN Tower, Toyko Sky Tree, etc., which are mostly empty save for a few floors at the top. Because they're so much less technologically challenging to construct, they're in a completely different category. It's the same reason why radio masts like the one in Warsaw (constructed in 1974 at 646 meters) have never been considered in the rankings of the world's tallest buildings. In fact, if those cables are really supportive rather than decorative, the Iconic Tower will fall into an even lesser category than the Sky Tree and CN tower, which are self-supporting.

So given that Iconic Tower may be built very quickly, the real question is whether KT will ever claim the title of world's tallest man-made structure (given KT's head start, and the greater ease of constructing observation towers, my guess is it'll be close). But Iconic Tower will never have a claim on tallest building or tallest skyscraper because it isn't one.
Old April 12th, 2016, 10:11 PM   #14707
DubaiM

Likes (Received): 4512

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post
No, I'm saying, even if the Iconic Tower is completed first, it's in a completely separate category from KT.

KT is a skyscraper, with ~167 occupiable floors. Iconic Tower not a skyscraper; it's an observation tower in the same category as the CN Tower, Toyko Sky Tree, etc., which are mostly empty save for a few floors at the top. Because they're so much less technologically challenging to construct, they're in a completely different category. It's the same reason why radio masts like the one in Warsaw (constructed in 1974 at 646 meters) have never been considered in the rankings of the world's tallest buildings. In fact, if those cables are really supportive rather than decorative, the Iconic Tower will fall into an even lesser category than the Sky Tree and CN tower, which are self-supporting.

So given that Iconic Tower may be built very quickly, the real question is whether KT will ever claim the title of world's tallest man-made structure (given KT's head start, and the greater ease of constructing observation towers, my guess is it'll be close). But Iconic Tower will never have a claim on tallest building or tallest skyscraper because it isn't one.
Who knows...? If Iconic Tower is really going to be ca.1200m tall, the floors might just look unoccupied. If you would stack 432 PA three times on top of one another, it could at least look as skinny as Iconic Tower. Maybe there will be lots of one-floor luxury apartments?
But if it's a guyed structure, because it's currently impossible to build towers so tall and skinny without support, which category would it be in? A new one?

Gabriel900 liked this post
DubaiM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2016, 10:47 PM   #14708
MarshallKnight

I haven't seen anything to indicate life outside the "pod" at the top, and this diagram from that Emaar presentation seem to indicate the floors don't continue below it:

They might stick some apartments in clusters along the way, but every occupied floors requires elevator access and utility lines to reach them, which would mean a big core (there's a reason BK and KT are so bulky at the bottom). Iconic Tower definitely does not have a bulky core, so it can only have a limited number of occupied floors.

Either way though, I suppose KT does have to worry about its "highest occupied floor" record as well.
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2016, 11:33 PM   #14709
fayzoon
Fayez

Likes (Received): 2042

It will a notch higher BK. The chairman of Emaar said that

Jeddah Tower is much higher. By at least 173 meters.

I think this new tower is mint to be with highest observation deck. I doubt it will be higher than Jeddah Tower I really do

Last edited by fayzoon; April 13th, 2016 at 02:27 AM.
fayzoon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2016, 12:44 AM   #14710
Pablobegood

Likes (Received): 46

" Higuest observation dick " ...Never thought that way

fayzoon, DubaiM liked this post
Pablobegood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2016, 01:17 AM   #14711
The-Real-Link
The-Real-Link!!

Likes (Received): 300

Well said Marshall. I agree 100% and feel you're spot on with that.

Iconic Tower / The Tower will probably claim Tallest Structure Built (on land), Highest Observatory Level, Tallest Guyed Structure (as opposed to self-supporting ala the CN Tower as you said), but I don't think it'll end up being classified as a building or skyscraper in a normal sense.

Emaar is shooting for a different category entirely and that is fine. We've had relatively few "towers" in the broadcasting sense built recently aside from the Sky Tree and Ghuangzhou's Tower, amongst others, that have been record breakers. It'd be nice to see an ultra-tall observation tower again.
The-Real-Link no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2016, 01:50 AM   #14712
jefais

Likes (Received): 7

If The Tower ends up taller than Jeddah Tower then I suspect the general public will refer to it as the tallest building in the world regardless of whether it is technically classed as a building or a freestanding structure or whatever.

BinSuroor, HRP4Life liked this post
jefais no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2016, 02:24 AM   #14713
fayzoon
Fayez

Likes (Received): 2042

taipei 101 was the tallest while CN tower was taller
Old April 13th, 2016, 02:42 AM   #14714
DUBAI10000

Likes (Received): 436

Once the iconic tower is built in Dubai it will have the following records,worlds tallest structure, worlds tallest guyed structure, world highest occupied floor, worlds highest observation deck. I doubt it will be considered a skyscraper but will get a lot of attention because of its beautiful design and height, as well as 18 occupied floors rather than 2 or 3 like we see with the CN tower and the Tokyo Skytree. The iconic tower will also be completed in 2020 which is far ahead of the Jeddah tower which might not open until 2022. Unfortunately emaar didn't want to spend the 5 billion dollars to build a skyscraper that would surpass the KT, so instead they used the cheaper,more affordable option that will most likely get the same amount of attention for Dubai as a real skyscraper. Because honestly most people will have no clue what the differences are between this tower and the kingdom tower, this type of stuff only bothers skyscraper needs like myself.

BinSuroor liked this post
DUBAI10000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2016, 03:03 AM   #14715
Gabriel900
Super Mod

Likes (Received): 29070

Jeddah Tower falls in the same category of Burj Khalifa ... It will be famous for being BK's bigger brother. I doubt Emaar was trying to save money by building the Iconic Tower, but to build a true Icon of Dubai. Burj Khalifa and Burj Al Arab are Icons, true, but they are still considered as the private property of a selected few who can afford to live and work in them, which somehow diminishes their grandeur and Iconic status.

Iconic/The Tower is more artistic and built in such a way that will, once done, be recognized worldwide for its uniqueness and be solely attributed to Dubai. The tower is a piece of Art from the outside, heck even the sky gardens and observation decks look out of this world. Building another taller version of BK would not really be as great as what is planned now. The proof is by checking all proposals before the ruler himself chose this one, the remaining 4 were skyscrapers with a huge number of floors, some very similar to Bk in shape but the ruler chose Iconic tower, while he could have easily chose some of the other bulkier towers proposed with floor plans all the way up to the top

All this being said nothing will take from Jeddah Tower, unless something major happens and construction was delayed, it will hold the title of tallest for quite some time before Iconic Tower tops out.

Another Note: The Iconic Tower was a very old plan by the way. years Back Emaar said they were planning the first 1000m+ tower on the Creek Harbour but suddenly canceled it publicly (same time when Jeddah tower was officially launched) to release 2 twins that were supposed to be around half a kilometer in length. This plan didn't survive long, Emaar, once they saw Jeddah tower progressing quite well and it reached a point were it is too late to change it height-wise, they unveiled the true plan that was slowly cooking under the veil of proposed twins ... cheeky Emaar lol And now they want us to believe them when they say "It will a notch higher than BK", which if it is true, they would have then released the height of it and not respond with "no comment" when reporters ask them if it will be the tallest in the world .. again or the even more cliche response of "height will be revealed upon completion"

Last edited by Gabriel900; April 13th, 2016 at 03:33 AM.
Gabriel900 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2016, 03:35 AM   #14716
boss-ton

Likes (Received): 185

Dubai should worry move about creating a livable city than competing in a dick measuring contest with the whole world. Hell even China is kicking Dubai's ass lately with quality of architecture and integration of the surrounding city.
boss-ton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2016, 03:47 AM   #14717
The-Real-Link
The-Real-Link!!

Likes (Received): 300

Was just telling friends that, Gabriel. Emaar and Dubai were just waiting until the sloped design of Kingdom Tower was (literally) cemented in place where they were far enough along in construction that KT's design wouldn't really be able to be changed. Then bam, announce a tower that now Jeddah can do nothing about.

Smart move.

BinSuroor, Gabriel900, DubaiM liked this post
The-Real-Link no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2016, 06:35 AM   #14718
mohammed alzaidi

Likes (Received): 87

so this is like the Tokyo Skytree ? if this is the case than i don't think people would even compare this with BK and JT

iKHALEDM liked this post

Last edited by mohammed alzaidi; April 13th, 2016 at 07:48 AM.
mohammed alzaidi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2016, 09:19 AM   #14719
Shaddorry
Futurologist

Likes (Received): 699

Well we don't know. We will see.
Shaddorry no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2016, 10:44 AM   #14720
stacer

Likes (Received): 11

The Tower Dubai Creek

Aside from a few ancient texts, there’s no conclusive proof the Hanging Gardens of Babylon (one of the seven wonders of the ancient world), actually existed.
Still, Emaar Properties is building on this mythical “tall tale” as it transforms Dubai’s skyline with the world’s tallest skyscraper—again.

More info on Forbes.com

kalim shekh liked this post
stacer no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
hypertall, jeddah economic city, jeddah tower, kingdom tower, megatall, tallest