daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 17th, 2016, 01:04 PM   #15001
Bligh

Likes (Received): 796

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arzonz View Post
You have been watching too much star wars, my good sir.
I find your lack of faith disturbing
~

L O N D O N
~

instagram//photography: @leaf.it.out.luke
Bligh no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 17th, 2016, 01:12 PM   #15002
Gabriel900
Super Mod

Likes (Received): 29204

JEDDAH | Jeddah Tower | 1000m+ | 3281ft+ | 167 fl | U/C

Quote:
Jeddah Tower 'delayed' due to Binladin Group funding issues

Financial pressures affecting construction giant Saudi Binladin Group have reportedly caused a year-long delay in building the 1 kilometre-high Jeddah Tower.

Formerly known as Kingdom Tower, Jeddah Tower is set to be the tallest tower in the world when completed.

It was scheduled for completion in 2018, and Arabian Business reported in March that it was over 20 percent complete.

However, it has since emerged that funding issues with contractor Binladin Group have disrupted the schedule.

Hisham Jomah, chief development officer at Jeddah Economic Company, the tower’s developer, told The National the scheme is now due for completion at the end of 2019 – 12 months later than planned.

He said the delay was “due to a number of factors – mainly the contractor [Saudi Binladin Group]”, according to the newspaper.

“Basically, it was a financial problem…until we secured a loan from the bank to make sure that the cash flow for the contractor is more stable for the time schedule,” Jomah was quoted as saying.

Saudi Binladin Group has reportedly been suffering financial difficulties as a result of the fatal Makkah crane crash last year, and hundreds of staff have claimed they are waiting for several months’ worth of wages.

Work at the site did not stop since the crash but “came to a very low pace for three to four months”, Jomah revealed, adding that the developer is hoping to resume a programme through which one floor of the tower can be completed every five days. Right now, it is working at a rate of between six and eight days, he said.

“It’s a very demanding project. It requires the best of anyone who comes close to it, and sometimes the best is not attainable.”

It was reported last year that Kingdom Holding, of which Jeddah Economic Company is an affiliate, had secured 8.4 billion riyal ($2.2 billion) of financing to complete the tower.

As well as being a contractor, Binladin Group holds a reported 16.66 percent stake in Jeddah Economic Company.

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/jedda...l#.VzruEvl97IU

Last edited by Gabriel900; May 17th, 2016 at 01:18 PM.
Gabriel900 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2016, 01:13 PM   #15003
stacer

Likes (Received): 11

Binladin hit financial trouble late last year after it was suspended from bidding for new work following the collapse of a crane that killed at least 109 pilgrims at Mecca’s Grand Mosque, and the suspension of payments to most contractors in the kingdom by the government as it reassessed schemes before announcing its National Transformation Plan.

Binladin did not immediately reply to a request for comment but a spokesman for the company has said: “As a principle, the group doesn’t comment on its financial issues, or relationships with other business partners. “We remain focused and committed to deliver our projects to the highest standards and satisfaction of our clients as we have always been doing."

Last week Binladin confirmed to The National that it is in the process of laying off 14,000 more staff in the coming weeks, following 55,000 earlier departures. More info on thenational.ae

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
stacer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2016, 01:24 PM   #15004
Arzonz

Likes (Received): 448

Were they seriously still going for a deadline of 2018? This is not really that bad because we already knew it wouldn't complete by 2018.

Arzonz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2016, 02:04 PM   #15005
Buffaboy
Buffalo's Idealist💡

Likes (Received): 2104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel900 View Post
I've seen an issue like this locally...on a $1B factory the state was late paying construction workers and the timeline was pushed backed. Payment delays are terrible.
Buffaboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2016, 02:45 PM   #15006
fayzoon
Fayez

Likes (Received): 2044

Actually it isn't real news

As long the financial support is really secured there are no worries even if they continue with an average of 3 floors a month.

There are still four years till 2020 and there are 48 months. So, 48 * 3 = 144 floors => 144 + 40 completed floors = 188 which is more than the total usable floors (neglecting the fact that the floors will continue getting smaller based on their area)

I don't really think it will ever be on hold with financial support existing!
So, it will just be a matter of time

Ch.W, The hory, BinSuroor, kalim shekh, K.S.A and 4 others liked this post
fayzoon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2016, 03:46 PM   #15007
BinSuroor

Likes (Received): 848

^If Emaar is indeed aiming for the tallest tower title with their new tower then they need to build this thing fast or it might never see the title. So time might be an issue as well

BinSuroor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2016, 04:58 PM   #15008
K.S.A
Jeddah Tower Lover

Likes (Received): 4363

Old May 17th, 2016, 05:06 PM   #15009
Ch.W

Likes (Received): 5180

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinSuroor View Post
^If Emaar is indeed aiming for the tallest tower title with their new tower then they need to build this thing fast or it might never see the title. So time might be an issue as well
The Jeddah Tower will get the title of the tallest freestanding building. And the title of the tallest skyscraper. Dubais Icon Tower is more an observation tower than a skyscraper.
Old May 17th, 2016, 07:39 PM   #15010
CopyLeft
Architect

Likes (Received): 277

yapp, Icon Tower will be the tallest structure, but a guyed one.

CopyLeft no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2016, 05:19 AM   #15011
fayzoon
Fayez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch.W View Post
The Jeddah Tower will get the title of the tallest freestanding building. And the title of the tallest skyscraper. Dubais Icon Tower is more an observation tower than a skyscraper.
Yupe, and yet nobody can be sure which one will be higher than the other. This one or that one. But, it is good not to know. It makes these coming years even more interesting
Old May 18th, 2016, 08:15 AM   #15012
DFDalton
Banished from SSP

Likes (Received): 127

Flashback to Post # 13916, Feb. 1, 2016:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFDalton View Post
Pace is glacial. I'm getting that "Waterview" feeling again. Folks in Chicago will know what I'm talking about.

Glad I didn't get banned from the site for that observation, like I was from that competing skyscraper "page" (which is moderated by Chicago homers who mark every Chicago project over 300 feet as "cool") when I said something similar about the Chicago Spire in early summer 2008. The site was obviously being cleared, I said, to put it into mothballs. Everyone else was sure they were leveling it for a foundation pour.

DFDalton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2016, 08:24 AM   #15013
GuitarAbuse

Likes (Received): 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by fayzoon View Post
Actually it isn't real news

As long the financial support is really secured there are no worries even if they continue with an average of 3 floors a month.

There are still four years till 2020 and there are 48 months. So, 48 * 3 = 144 floors => 144 + 40 completed floors = 188 which is more than the total usable floors (neglecting the fact that the floors will continue getting smaller based on their area)

I don't really think it will ever be on hold with financial support existing!
So, it will just be a matter of time
Its technically not. When I mentioned about the funding issues everybody was after me last week.

Yes, the funding is in place for the project and that itself is not a issue. But SBG uses the same sub contractors for various other projects that they have been carrying out and these guys have literally stopped working/supplying as they havent been paid for ages.

GuitarAbuse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2016, 08:48 AM   #15014
CopyLeft
Architect

Likes (Received): 277

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFDalton View Post
Flashback to Post # 13916, Feb. 1, 2016:
Glad I didn't get banned from the site for that observation, like I was from that competing skyscraper "page" (which is moderated by Chicago homers who mark every Chicago project over 300 feet as "cool") when I said something similar about the Chicago Spire in early summer 2008. The site was obviously being cleared, I said, to put it into mothballs. Everyone else was sure they were leveling it for a foundation pour.
And what made you capable to predict that?

CopyLeft no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2016, 10:40 AM   #15015
fayzoon
Fayez

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarAbuse View Post
Its technically not. When I mentioned about the funding issues everybody was after me last week.

Yes, the funding is in place for the project and that itself is not a issue. But SBG uses the same sub contractors for various other projects that they have been carrying out and these guys have literally stopped working/supplying as they havent been paid for ages.
Now you are saying it more accurately. The funding is not an issue

But, last week you said it like financing was a real problem and that's why ..

Anyway, Even when they are the largest construction organization in the Middle East (Yes larger than Emaar) don't worry about SBG, there are plenty of others inside and outside KSA. SBG are responsible of tracking the schedule and I have no doubt they will be able to track it easily

iKHALEDM, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
fayzoon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2016, 04:54 PM   #15016
lFurqanl
Pro User

Likes (Received): 479

Floor count anyone?

lFurqanl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2016, 06:08 PM   #15017
CrystalPhoenix
BANNED

Likes (Received): 375

CrystalPhoenix no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2016, 07:04 PM   #15018
Abdullah-atta

Likes (Received): 2122

jogiba, Munwon, K.S.A, Ch.W, Arzonz and 7 others liked this post
Abdullah-atta no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2016, 08:17 PM   #15019
DFDalton
Banished from SSP

Likes (Received): 127

Quote:
Originally Posted by CopyLeft View Post
And what made you capable to predict that?
Keen observation skills and a total lack of vested interest in the project.

DFDalton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2016, 11:30 PM   #15020
tokilamockingbrd

Likes (Received): 116

what is the point of building a 1 kilometer tower in the middle of an area with thousands of unused acres? So are they building it so tall to draw in tourism? Just to say they have the biggest one?

Just curious because it seems very uneconomical to build so tall in a location like this. The land value to cost to build ratio is very high.

Pickun, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
tokilamockingbrd no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
hypertall, jeddah economic city, jeddah tower, kingdom tower, megatall, tallest