daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 19th, 2016, 12:18 AM   #15021
BinSuroor

Likes (Received): 837

The tower is all about ego just like burj Khalifa

ChuckScraperMiami#1, Rebasepoiss liked this post
BinSuroor está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 19th, 2016, 01:05 AM   #15022
fayzoon
Fayez

Likes (Received): 2042

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokilamockingbrd View Post
what is the point of building a 1 kilometer tower in the middle of an area with thousands of unused acres? So are they building it so tall to draw in tourism? Just to say they have the biggest one?

Just curious because it seems very uneconomical to build so tall in a location like this. The land value to cost to build ratio is very high.
Yeah there is no point of building it because it is in the middle of nowhere @[email protected]

God, I'm seriously starting to laugh every time when people repeat what you're saying again and again

Old May 19th, 2016, 03:41 AM   #15023
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

Likes (Received): 2793

Quote:
Originally Posted by fayzoon View Post
Yeah there is no point of building it because it is in the middle of nowhere @[email protected]

God, I'm seriously starting to laugh every time when people repeat what you're saying again and again

I'm starting to think fayzoon is a bot. He's just that predictable.

Quote:
what is the point of building a 1 kilometer tower in the middle of an area with thousands of unused acres? So are they building it so tall to draw in tourism? Just to say they have the biggest one?

Just curious because it seems very uneconomical to build so tall in a location like this. The land value to cost to build ratio is very high.
When you get this tall, revenue-generating floor area will never offset building costs. It's just too expensive. But I imagine land was the least expensive part of this whole project. That's why it's built on the outskirts of Jeddah, in the middle of nowhere (sorry fayzoon, the maps don't lie), where land is probably super cheap and nothing needs to be demolished. The revenue for this project will come from all the surrounding development. Jeddah Tower is literally a sales tool for the rest of Jeddah Economic City. Not how we do it in the US, but it sometimes works in other parts of the world.
Old May 19th, 2016, 04:01 AM   #15024
CrazyDave

Likes (Received): 192

Quote:

None of the Worlds Tallest Buildings that were built during the past 100 years were built because lack of space on the site.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
CrazyDave no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2016, 06:11 AM   #15025
CrystalPhoenix
BANNED

Likes (Received): 375

I believe the sears tower was. Sears wanted to consolidate 350k workers in one location.

SMCYB, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
CrystalPhoenix no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2016, 07:41 AM   #15026
CopyLeft
Architect

Likes (Received): 277

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalPhoenix View Post
I believe the sears tower was. Sears wanted to consolidate 350k workers in one location.
It should be a mistake with this number. 350k pax is a figure way too high, even for a large block of a densely stuffed towers.

CopyLeft no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2016, 08:17 AM   #15027
Ultros
Evil Octopussy

Likes (Received): 320

Quote:
Originally Posted by fayzoon View Post

I just add each one to the ignore list. Reading the same unoriginal drivel over and over gets old.

Ultros no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2016, 09:13 AM   #15028
fayzoon
Fayez

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-biz View Post
I'm starting to think fayzoon is a bot. He's just that predictable.

Old May 19th, 2016, 10:07 AM   #15029
GuitarAbuse

Likes (Received): 78

Quote:

Its quite a common tried and tested method in the Middle East. You get loads of land for really cheap, build something iconic so the value of the surrounding land shoots up and you make money out of that. The icon itself is never a profit making venture, the retail/commercial and residential space would be.

Bligh, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
GuitarAbuse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2016, 12:32 PM   #15030
redbaron_012

Likes (Received): 3095

...Look, the Middle East has existence other than the rest of the world...let them do what they want...as long as they stay there and enjoy what only they can enjoy. This is not negative or racist or bad...it's just that the rest of the world is different and long may it stay that way...I think they will agree so this shouldn't be a problem. Go in peace my friends.

redbaron_012 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2016, 12:53 PM   #15031
Gabriel900
Super Mod

Likes (Received): 29101

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarAbuse View Post
Its quite a common tried and tested method in the Middle East. You get loads of land for really cheap, build something iconic so the value of the surrounding land shoots up and you make money out of that. The icon itself is never a profit making venture, the retail/commercial and residential space would be.
This worked for Dubai and Burj Khalifa but will it have the same effect for Jeddah by Jeddah Tower?

When they built BK it was to beat Taipei 101 which was only 509m high, so the plan wasn't just to beat it but to "overbeat" it (It has a 62% more of the height of Taipei) and to create a shock factor and an icon for Dubai and this huge leap in height and new architectural achievement I believe caused the world to turn its head towards Dubai.

Jeddah Tower on the other hand is a beautiful tower with one very remarkable height achievement of reaching the 1000m mark. But Jeddah Tower is only around 172m taller than BK (with a 20% more of the height of BK) and Jeddah Tower is a brother to BK with its shape and form its a slimmer taller version of the latter which might be not as iconic as they wanted it to become.

Now with all this being said the question remains, will it have the same effect on Jeddah as it did for Dubai? Only time will tell.
Old May 19th, 2016, 01:53 PM   #15032
Amecurty

Likes (Received): 241

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-biz View Post
When you get this tall, revenue-generating floor area will never offset building costs. It's just too expensive.
Would that be true even if this tower didn't have such a huge part of unusable floor space?

Amecurty no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2016, 02:30 PM   #15033
fayzoon
Fayez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel900 View Post
This worked for Dubai and Burj Khalifa but will it have the same effect for Jeddah by Jeddah Tower?

When they built BK it was to beat Taipei 101 which was only 509m high, so the plan wasn't just to beat it but to "overbeat" it (It has a 62% more of the height of Taipei) and to create a shock factor and an icon for Dubai and this huge leap in height and new architectural achievement I believe caused the world to turn its head towards Dubai.

Jeddah Tower on the other hand is a beautiful tower with one very remarkable height achievement of reaching the 1000m mark. But Jeddah Tower is only around 172m taller than BK (with a 20% more of the height of BK) and Jeddah Tower is a brother to BK with its shape and form its a slimmer taller version of the latter which might be not as iconic as they wanted it to become.

Now with all this being said the question remains, will it have the same effect on Jeddah as it did for Dubai? Only time will tell.
As I said before, there is no way the tower will exist without allowing foreign tourism and huge changes in system like allowing women driving in any possible manner

When that day comes, I assure you JT will have much more effect in Jeddah than BK's effect in Dubai. Just wait, and you will see what is the effect that I'm talking about ..

Ch.W, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
fayzoon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2016, 03:52 PM   #15034
oud-Rotterdammer
Marc from Rotterdam

Likes (Received): 608

When that day comes, I will surely visit KSA.
Not only to see JT, but to experience much of the country and it's culture.
I even hope to have a possibility to visit Mecca then (but I am not a Muslim...). I think it will be impressive.

oud-Rotterdammer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2016, 04:25 PM   #15035
Bligh

Likes (Received): 796

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarAbuse View Post
100% correct and as a gentleman also said above me; only time can tell.

The big difference between Jeddah and Dubai is that Dubai hasn't really had any real competition in terms of tourism in the Middle East. Dubai has quite clearly gone to great lengths to become one of the globe's main tourist attractions - and they've succeeded.

Another incredibly valid question is; can Jeddah surpass Dubai in terms of tourism? Dubai didn't have much regional competition when it was up and coming... Jeddah does. In fact Jeddah has it's main rival in the country next door, and it's rival has had a BIG head-start .

We'll see...
~

L O N D O N
~

instagram//photography: @leaf.it.out.luke

Bligh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2016, 04:57 PM   #15036
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

Likes (Received): 2793

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amecurty View Post
Would that be true even if this tower didn't have such a huge part of unusable floor space?
You know, that's a good question. I have no idea how the balance sheet would change if they didn't construct the spire portion. But the tapered design makes it difficult to maximize floor area. For instance:

Willis Tower: 108 occupied floors, 4.5 million square feet of floor area
Jeddah Tower: 167 occupied floors, 2.6 million square feet of floor area (according to the CTBUH, I'm guessing this is usable floor area).

Amecurty, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
j-biz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2016, 05:35 PM   #15037
Bottle
Not Registered User

Likes (Received): 170

Quote:
Originally Posted by oud-Rotterdammer View Post
When that day comes, I will surely visit KSA.
Not only to see JT, but to experience much of the country and it's culture.
I even hope to have a possibility to visit Mecca then (but I am not a Muslim...). I think it will be impressive.
Mecca is only one part of larger picture. If Saudi Arabia government think straight and promote tourism, I guarantee you SA will easily be on bar if not on higher than cultural tourism in Europe. It really hurts to see so many historical sites ignored. We got diverse, modern Arabian cultures throughout SA as well as historical ones. Not to mention the pre-islamic era of Arabia we tend to ignore so that religious fanatics don't murder us.

Bottle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2016, 06:13 PM   #15038
Arzonz

Likes (Received): 448

One thing that is different here is the time this is happening. When BK was being built oil had much more value than now and that had a big help to the growth.
But now Oil is much less valuable and that will make a challenge for Jeddah to reach Dubai.

Arzonz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2016, 07:25 PM   #15039
Arzonz

Likes (Received): 448

Well, the pace is getting even slower guys, its been 14 days since the last core jump and i haven't seen any core pour yet.

Arzonz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2016, 08:05 PM   #15040
Baitalon

Likes (Received): 731

When the towers around it gonna be built?

BinSuroor, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Baitalon no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
hypertall, jeddah economic city, jeddah tower, kingdom tower, megatall, tallest