daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 19th, 2016, 09:19 PM   #15041
uakoops
Sidewalk Superintendent

Likes (Received): 396

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalPhoenix View Post
I believe the sears tower was. Sears wanted to consolidate 350k workers in one location.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopyLeft View Post
It should be a mistake with this number. 350k pax is a figure way too high, even for a large block of a densely stuffed towers.
35K is probably a more likely number

Edit: 350K is the total number of employees of the Sears Corporation at the time. The building accommodates approximately 12,000 workers, and another 10-12K visitors each day.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post

Last edited by uakoops; May 19th, 2016 at 09:32 PM.
uakoops no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 20th, 2016, 03:28 AM   #15042
Ultros
Evil Octopussy

Likes (Received): 323

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron_012 View Post
...Look, the Middle East has existence other than the rest of the world...let them do what they want...as long as they stay there and enjoy what only they can enjoy. This is not negative or racist or bad...it's just that the rest of the world is different and long may it stay that way...I think they will agree so this shouldn't be a problem. Go in peace my friends.
No. Since this tower is not being built in my country or city, I'm going to go on endlessly about it being built in the middle of no-where, by slave labor, and being an unnecessary giant trophy.

But once my country tries to build something like this, you won't hear a peep from me.
Old May 20th, 2016, 07:29 AM   #15043
Arzonz

Likes (Received): 448

Look at that sun shining off the concrete!
Old May 20th, 2016, 12:55 PM   #15044
K.S.A
Jeddah Tower Lover

Likes (Received): 4363

Quote:
Originally Posted by lFurqanl View Post
Floor count anyone?

ChuckScraperMiami#1, lFurqanl liked this post
K.S.A no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2016, 01:07 PM   #15045
redbaron_012

Likes (Received): 3095

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultros View Post
No. Since this tower is not being built in my country or city, I'm going to go on endlessly about it being built in the middle of no-where, by slave labor, and being an unnecessary giant trophy.

But once my country tries to build something like this, you won't hear a peep from me.
We live in interesting times...just hope how we die has nothing to do with it ?

redbaron_012 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2016, 04:06 PM   #15046
friendsofthecity

Likes (Received): 690

I am having a feeling the construction cost will definitely double before the completion.

friendsofthecity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2016, 06:23 PM   #15047
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6534

Quote:
Originally Posted by friendsofthecity View Post
I am having a feeling the construction cost will definitely double before the completion.
If build in germany, then for sure
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2016, 06:58 PM   #15048
Ch.W

Likes (Received): 5180

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ-II View Post
If build in germany, then for sure
i am no clairvoyant but i would bet everything i have that such a building never sies the light in my lifetime in Germany. Sad but true that here alone the permits would last longer as they build the whole tower...for everybody who wants to laugh should take a look a the EDDB, Berlin-Brandenburg International Airport a financial desaster...

ChuckScraperMiami#1, m6b7n liked this post
Ch.W no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2016, 09:07 PM   #15049
archur96

Likes (Received): 6

This building is awesome!!!

ChuckScraperMiami#1, enrigue8 liked this post
archur96 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2016, 04:03 AM   #15050
Shaddorry
Futurologist

Likes (Received): 699

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch.W View Post
i am no clairvoyant but i would bet everything i have that such a building never sies the light in my lifetime in Germany. Sad but true that here alone the permits would last longer as they build the whole tower...for everybody who wants to laugh should take a look a the EDDB, Berlin-Brandenburg International Airport a financial desaster...
Same in Belgium. Belgium is a lot denser populated too and yet everyone wants to buy their own land/house and can do that pretty cheap for such a dense country. flats and skyscraper and other shared buildings arent very popular and actually they should be, as there is lesser and lesser greenery to be found and land is getting very expensive. Problem is people don't like such buildings because they fear to lose privacy. Getting permits is also very hard and half of our soil is swampy, making it difficult and expensive to build such projects. Also: this small country has more than 5 very busy airports very close to each other, which makes a suitable location for such a project very rare.

For these reasons I regret not living in usa or ksa or other supertall skyscraper countries.
Shaddorry no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2016, 05:35 AM   #15051
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Likes (Received): 350

Hi all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by friendsofthecity View Post
The BK was touted at 1.5 billion USD but I have a financial spreadsheet from long before completion showing 3.78 and I figure the final number at 5 billion.

This will surely end up at that same number or higher.

Cheers
Ray
Old May 21st, 2016, 09:56 AM   #15052
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6534

Core pour going on right now!
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2016, 03:14 PM   #15053
Arzonz

Likes (Received): 448

Well.. another month is coming to an end and i predict 2 floors for this month aswell.
Old May 22nd, 2016, 02:57 AM   #15054
tokilamockingbrd

Likes (Received): 116

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDave View Post
None of the Worlds Tallest Buildings that were built during the past 100 years were built because lack of space on the site.
um.... that is not correct. Midtown and Downtown Manhattan were very dense when their world tallest were built. Same with the loop in Chicago. I cant speak for Kuala Lumpar back in the 90s, but I know it was densely populated, I just dont know how vertical it was. Taipei is very dense. Dubai it kinda made due to the smaller state it is built in, that said you can see hundreds of unused acres there. I have no idea how Burj Kalifa is doing economically. I am not saying the worlds tallest were always the best investment they could have done, but they were at least economically sound plans.

Kingdom tower will be the 1st world's tallest to be built in the middle of nowhere. It just backwards economically. Typically towers rise high because because land values are high enough to make it cheaper to go up than out. Then after a while one developer goes all in and decided to splurge to gain some extra notoriety. That is not the case here at all.

Now in the past there has been one-upsmanship in the worlds tallest game, but it was not at the expense of building something economically viable.

Essentially they are betting that everyone will want to come to this spot in the middle of nowhere and spend money at the entire complex because the worlds tallest tower is there. They are also betting that no one will one up them before they can get their return on investment, because if they are passed up one year later they could be screwed. I mean people are not just going fly around the world to Jeddah, to see the "world's second tallest tower". It needs a good decade holding the title then it can survive.

Ch.W, Bligh, HenryX liked this post
tokilamockingbrd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2016, 03:32 AM   #15055
aricroy
Aric Roy

Likes (Received): 0

Wow, i have heard of this plan before but always thought it was just a vision and it will stay a vision. But now it looks like this is actually a serious plan!
Old May 22nd, 2016, 05:22 AM   #15056
delphi7x10

Likes (Received): 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-biz View Post
I'm starting to think fayzoon is a bot. He's just that predictable.
......... The revenue for this project will come from all the surrounding development. Jeddah Tower is literally a sales tool for the rest of Jeddah Economic City. Not how we do it in the US, but it sometimes works in other parts of the world.
Have you ever been to place like Charlotte, or the Phoenix area in Arizona? In both cases they have built huge projects just outside of the city where plenty of land can be had. Ballantyne and Sun City to south in Charlotte are two example, now the just announced a new project, near the airport.
In Phoenix, they built the stadium in the empty dirt out in the west, today it is all built and thriving. To the north Anthem was built in a pile of sand, but not before the built a pipeline over a mountain to bring in water, now it is home thousand of people.
delphi7x10 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2016, 02:39 PM   #15057
panelalbano
sorry for my poor english

Likes (Received): 6

so good
panelalbano no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2016, 10:55 AM   #15058
oud-Rotterdammer
Marc from Rotterdam

Likes (Received): 615

Quote:
Originally Posted by aricroy View Post
Wow, i have heard of this plan before but always thought it was just a vision and it will stay a vision. But now it looks like this is actually a serious plan!
Old May 23rd, 2016, 02:29 PM   #15059
mohammed alzaidi

Likes (Received): 87

Quote:
Choi will then accompany Alwaleed on his trip to Beijing on Tuesday for discussions with Chinese leaders about the so-called Jeddah project, a massive construction scheme to build a gigantic city in Jeddah centered on Jeddah Tower, which will rise to 1,007 meters to become the tallest building in the world. Choi's companies, Suncore and KT Roll, which are listed on the Korea Exchange, will join the project as part of the Korea-China consortium.
http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news...23_204733.html

Munwon liked this post
mohammed alzaidi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2016, 02:42 PM   #15060
Quasat
BANNED

Likes (Received): 287

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baitalon View Post
When the towers around it gonna be built?
Looks like nobody believe in this project. Just compare to booming in Dubai 10 years ago.
Quasat no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
hypertall, jeddah economic city, jeddah tower, kingdom tower, megatall, tallest