daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 9th, 2016, 02:36 PM   #15181
Abdullah-atta

Likes (Received): 2122

Sponsored Links
Old June 10th, 2016, 11:13 AM   #15182
HiJazzey
Come on!

Likes (Received): 194

I find that GFA figure unbelievable frankly.
But in any case, the number that really matters is the leasable floor area. In a back of the envelope estimate I made, I put it around the ~140,000 m2 mark, which is fine by me because as is it will flood the local real estate market with capacity.

Ch.W liked this post
HiJazzey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2016, 07:46 PM   #15183
Hamcl
JeddahTower Updates

Likes (Received): 1580

Old June 12th, 2016, 12:05 AM   #15184
Aaronaa4
ShanghaiPro

Likes (Received): 159

Hey everyone,

I just made a June update with many of your amazing pictures and lots of other information! Enjoy the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XLyl2AvsCA

HRP4Life, The hory, SLASH_2, eric777, Ch.W and 2 others liked this post
Aaronaa4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2016, 01:35 PM   #15185
aryadinata

Likes (Received): 11

Wonderful

Very nice

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
aryadinata no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2016, 11:29 PM   #15186
K.S.A
Jeddah Tower Lover

Likes (Received): 4363

Core pouring right now

K.S.A no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2016, 03:36 AM   #15187
tallmark

Likes (Received): 33

Sad. In the West, in places like New York or Chicago, we build tall building due to the shortage of space in the crowded commercial downtowns. In other places--from Jiddah to Dubai to Wuhhan, to Kuala Lumpur to ...... tall buildings are just very expensive "status symbols", built in the middle of deserts, forests, jungles of run-down tiny two story residential buildings, if any at all. I mean look at the picture of this building being built in Jiddah: there is NOTHING around there at all!!! just an empty desert!!

Instead of serving as points of pride, they are symbols of futility, inferiority complex and waste of national wealth. Never mind, that they are also designed by the American architectural firms and built by using western material science and firms..... So, reading the big sign outside the work area, it states Adrian Smith and Gordon Gill as the architects, but the Ben Laden Group (does the name sound familiar: yeah, Osama Ben Laden's folks) are the supervising group. Well done--so very not

Last edited by tallmark; June 19th, 2016 at 10:56 PM.
tallmark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2016, 04:18 AM   #15188
fayzoon
Fayez

Likes (Received): 2044

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallmark View Post
there is NOTHING around there at all!!! just an empty desert!!

With all respect, don't make a fool of yourself

DeaconG, _BPS_, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
fayzoon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2016, 04:29 AM   #15189
Bottle
Not Registered User

Likes (Received): 170

Quote:
Sad. In the West, in places like New York or Chicago, we build tall building due to shortage of space in the crowded commercial downtowns. In other places--from Jiddah to Dubai to Wuhhan, to Kuala Lumpur to ...... tall buildings are just very expensive "status symbols", built in the middle of deserts, forests, jungles of run-down tiny two story residential buildings, if any at all. I mean look at the picture of this building being built in Jiddah: there is NOTHING around there at all!!! just an empty desert!!

Instead of serving as points of pride, they are symbols of futility, inferiority complex and waste of national wealth. Never mind, that they are also designed by the American architectural firms and built by using western material science and firms..... So, reading the big sign outside the work area, it states Adrian Smith and Gordon Gill as the architects, but the Ben Laden Group (does the name sound familiar: yeah, Osama Ben Laden's folks) are the supervising group. Well done--so very not
Here, you can see the bitter and angry western creature preforming one of its daily rituals. This create used to dominate the forests, but not anymore. This one thinks she is entitled to her niche; the great old niche of round sphere called Earth. A very unkind creatures begun to pop out everywhere in the globe and compete with her people. Initially, this one did not mind the competition, thinking she had the upper hand. Ohh how sad this one is. Her superiority complex blinded her judgment and now she is in trouble.
Some evolutionists say if you want to see evolution in action, you should observe western attitude toward 21st century forest. While most westerns swallowed their pride and learned to co-exist with others, certain groups are heading to separate evolutionary pathway. This one belongs to the latter. Due to the inbreeding of these creatures, it is expected to classify them as separate species by the end of 21st century. We shall call them Homo bitterpiens.

Ok I'm done being lame

But seriously though, you need to see a doctor before you explode out of anger. We wouldn't want you to be grouped with us, proclaimed terrorists
Old June 13th, 2016, 07:04 AM   #15190
xrtn2

Likes (Received): 17385

Interesting tower

xrtn2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2016, 10:06 AM   #15191
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6530

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.S.A View Post
Core pouring right now
We're back on track it seems
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2016, 10:53 AM   #15192
The-Real-Link
The-Real-Link!!

Likes (Received): 300

Quote:

Instead of serving as points of pride ... Well done--so very not
While you may argue that to be true, buildings are built for different reasons. In the US, more often than not they are built for pure Capitalism and focus on efficiency for profit. Not saying that Dubai or others aren't doing it for egoism or vanity too, but there, Dubai built an entire downtown to sustain said structure and it alone attracts millions of people.

Meanwhile in the US, even if we may not have need for such mega towers quite like the olden days, I don't see us being daring or trying to compete in the scale of things like this too recently. The redeveloping WTC complex could be an example, as well as Hudson Yards, but not too many other projects ala all of Downtown Dubai or Jeddah Tower Development as a whole.

I'm not saying we have to or that we're "better" because we don't, but still, my hat (if I wore one) is off to Dubai for doing some insane development the likes which we've only seen from China and a few select other areas of the world.

Sorry back on-topic, it's nice to see JT rise, and I'm sure that similar to Dubai, JT will definitely still have some kind of tourist / capital following once the city and tower are complete.

But then even if it doesn't, it's their Billions, they can waste it however they see fit. Could think of quite a few worse ways to spend the money (and sure, some better), but that's a discussion outside of this tower's thread.

Sorry for OT-ness.

The-Real-Link no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2016, 01:08 PM   #15193
AboMalik

Likes (Received): 976

Quote:
Sad. In the West, in places like New York or Chicago, we build tall building due to shortage of space in the crowded commercial downtowns. In other places--from Jiddah to Dubai to Wuhhan, to Kuala Lumpur to ...... tall buildings are just very expensive "status symbols", built in the middle of deserts, forests, jungles of run-down tiny two story residential buildings, if any at all. I mean look at the picture of this building being built in Jiddah: there is NOTHING around there at all!!! just an empty desert!!

The Bin Laden group was established by Mohammed Bin Laden. I think Osamah Bin Laden was his brother but he separated totally from the family and moved away to Afghanistan long time ago.

Mohammed remained in Saudi and continued building his construction mega company from scratch and he built many huge infrastructure projects in the kingdom and around the world.

Finally, I think it's ridiculous to associate Osamah with the Bin Laden Group. This group served the world whilst Osamah did the opposite.

YannSZ, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
AboMalik no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2016, 01:21 PM   #15194
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8242

Quote:
[...]

KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2016, 02:50 PM   #15195
Ch.W

Likes (Received): 5180

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottle View Post
Here, you can see the bitter and angry western creature preforming one of its daily rituals. This create used to dominate the forests, but not anymore. This one thinks she is entitled to her niche; the great old niche of round sphere called Earth. A very unkind creatures begun to pop out everywhere in the globe and compete with her people. Initially, this one did not mind the competition, thinking she had the upper hand. Ohh how sad this one is. Her superiority complex blinded her judgment and now she is in trouble.
Some evolutionists say if you want to see evolution in action, you should observe western attitude toward 21st century forest. While most westerns swallowed their pride and learned to co-exist with others, certain groups are heading to separate evolutionary pathway. This one belongs to the latter. Due to the inbreeding of these creatures, it is expected to classify them as separate species by the end of 21st century. We shall call them Homo bitterpiens.

Ok I'm done being lame

But seriously though, you need to see a doctor before you explode out of anger. We wouldn't want you to be grouped with us, proclaimed terrorists
I don't share his opinion (tallmark) at all. But your text sounds also one-sided. Good western people against the others. Politics are not allowed in this forum, so i will stop here.

Ch.W no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2016, 04:03 PM   #15196
Bottle
Not Registered User

Likes (Received): 170

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch.W View Post
I don't share his opinion (tallmark) at all. But your text sounds also one-sided. Good western people against the others. Politics are not allowed in this forum, so i will stop here.
he brought up politics when he was throwing shades on Osama. People like him continuously pop in and yell "tower in the middle of nowhere". I've been ignoring these comments for the past 10-20 pages, but I reached my limits.

My comment is meant to be one-sided, narrow-minded, and stupid to resemble his/her original comment.

Ch.W, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Bottle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2016, 04:25 PM   #15197
Ch.W

Likes (Received): 5180

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottle View Post
he brought up politics when he was throwing shades on Osama. People like him continuously pop in and yell "tower in the middle of nowhere". I've been ignoring these comments for the past 10-20 pages, but I reached my limits.

My comment is meant to be one-sided, narrow-minded, and stupid to resemble his/her original comment.
Ok that's nice to "hear". You're right, every few pages there are such comments. If someone is new here and have no idea it's ok to ask this. But most of those statements sounds somehow like "i hate this tower". And the Bin Laden issue is in fact rediculous.

Ch.W no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2016, 04:46 PM   #15198
kunming tiger

Likes (Received): 1659

Quote:

igorance in action , there is nothing worse you can inflict upon others

kunming tiger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2016, 04:47 PM   #15199
victor del rey

Likes (Received): 391

What's the current floor ? 43?

victor del rey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2016, 05:46 PM   #15200
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6530

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor del rey View Post
What's the current floor ? 43?
Including the floor they poured today it's 43.
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
hypertall, jeddah economic city, jeddah tower, kingdom tower, megatall, tallest