daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old July 15th, 2016, 12:06 AM   #15321
Kyll.Ing.
Registered User
 
Kyll.Ing.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Trondheim
Posts: 1,088
Likes (Received): 3644

Quote:
Originally Posted by jogiba View Post

Safety gear ? What safety gear !
Also, no cranes. That's even more impressive, in my eyes. Of course, there were cranes there, but not like we know them today. The bits and pieces of the tower were hauled up in much smaller packages than is common nowadays.
__________________
Poe's law: You can't impersonate stupidity without somebody mistaking it for the real thing.
Kyll.Ing. no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 16th, 2016, 04:36 PM   #15322
jogiba
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 264
Likes (Received): 434

Quote:
Originally Posted by CopyLeft View Post
It's a simple abode with a simple idea. BK is a much much more architectural edifice!
Just wait until it's finished.
__________________

Munwon, K.S.A, sgollis, zahid111, RafiAnsari and 3 others liked this post
jogiba no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2016, 05:14 PM   #15323
redbaron_012
Registered User
 
redbaron_012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 11,565
Likes (Received): 3095

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDave View Post
This project once complete will bring lots of tourism which will help the City a great deal.
...?

Tourist may come...guess they will want to go to the top of the building...what will they see ? then what...? Usually a shopping mall...? we don't know much about anything else around there...probably safer than travelling to Europe at the moment ?
__________________
"Make no small plans, for they have not power to stir the blood" - Daniel H. Burnham
redbaron_012 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2016, 05:34 PM   #15324
CopyLeft
Architect
 
CopyLeft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 441
Likes (Received): 277

Quote:
Originally Posted by jogiba View Post
Just wait until it's finished.
Ugh... You want to say blue is better than orange?
But seriously, your way of thinking is like "apple is better than orange".
Here we have 2 different kinds of design: one is engineering design, the other one is architectural design. One of them required a lot of routine work to produce the Detailed Design. The other one required a lot of thinking for Concept Design, but much less routine work. These towers are both megatall. Those fruits are both spherical, but they are composed differently. So it's not a matter of taste only.
__________________

Gabriel900, BinSuroor, DubaiM liked this post
CopyLeft no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2016, 09:17 PM   #15325
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!
 
ThatOneGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto - Bucharest - Freeport
Posts: 21,498

I hope one year we will have a cluster of megatall needle towers. That would be just gorgeous, going by the above photo.
ThatOneGuy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2016, 11:11 PM   #15326
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem
 
j-biz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,309
Likes (Received): 2793

Jogiba's picture brings up an interesting point. Obviously if these towers were side-by-side, you'd be able to tell that JT is taller than BK. But in the absence of such direct comparison, I think the perception of height by the viewer on the ground will be pretty much identical. The mind works in mysterious ways. For instance, in my opinion, the Empire State Building feels taller than the WTC because the tapering elongates the structure. WTC's more uniform shape kind of masks how immense it is.
__________________
j-biz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2016, 11:18 PM   #15327
CopyLeft
Architect
 
CopyLeft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 441
Likes (Received): 277

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-biz View Post
...the Empire State Building feels taller than the WTC because the tapering elongates the structure.
This is one of the tricks used in civil architecture to create impressions.
CopyLeft no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2016, 01:14 AM   #15328
TallBox
Registered User
 
TallBox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 3,122
Likes (Received): 421

Any idea who will be the tenants for the office space in this building and how much they will be leasing? What is the $/sqft?
__________________
Nous sommes tous Ronnie Pickering
TallBox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2016, 01:18 AM   #15329
CopyLeft
Architect
 
CopyLeft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 441
Likes (Received): 277

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallBox View Post
Any idea who will be the tenants for the office space in this building and how much they will be leasing? What is the $/sqft?
It's a veeery long way down the road. By then, many things will change in the world, including the global economy.
CopyLeft no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2016, 01:52 AM   #15330
jogiba
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 264
Likes (Received): 434

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-biz View Post
Jogiba's picture brings up an interesting point. Obviously if these towers were side-by-side, you'd be able to tell that JT is taller than BK. But in the absence of such direct comparison, I think the perception of height by the viewer on the ground will be pretty much identical. The mind works in mysterious ways. For instance, in my opinion, the Empire State Building feels taller than the WTC because the tapering elongates the structure. WTC's more uniform shape kind of masks how immense it is.
The roof of 432 Park Ave is 27 ft taller than the roof of One World Trade Center and when JT tops out at 3,307 ft it will be about 600 ft taller than BK.

__________________

felipeskyscraper2, K.S.A liked this post
jogiba no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2016, 02:40 AM   #15331
Gabriel900
Super Mod
 
Gabriel900's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Dubai, Beirut
Posts: 7,828
Likes (Received): 29106

you know adding more fog on Jeddah Tower won't make it look taller

j-biz is very right, from a ground level human perception BK will look as tall and as mighty as JT.
__________________
"The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible" ~ Winston Churchill

CopyLeft, BinSuroor, hoppala liked this post
Gabriel900 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2016, 02:50 PM   #15332
K.S.A
Jeddah Tower Lover
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,497
Likes (Received): 4363

Finally core is rising now

__________________

Highway 401, fayzoon, Ch.W, naki, alsaif2012 and 6 others liked this post
K.S.A no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2016, 04:30 PM   #15333
jogiba
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 264
Likes (Received): 434

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel900 View Post
you know adding more fog on Jeddah Tower won't make it look taller

j-biz is very right, from a ground level human perception BK will look as tall and as mighty as JT.
No, being 600 ft taller will make JT the tallest building on the planet. It's amazing how the discussions here are getting dumber . I guess a blind person would not see the difference.
__________________

fayzoon, K.S.A, iKHALEDM liked this post
jogiba no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2016, 05:16 PM   #15334
fayzoon
Fayez
 
fayzoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Jubail - Saudi Arabia
Posts: 1,060
Likes (Received): 2042

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel900 View Post
you know adding more fog on Jeddah Tower won't make it look taller

j-biz is very right, from a ground level human perception BK will look as tall and as mighty as JT.
I'm honestly not sure why you always look like in a challenge with so much hatred in your replies. I wonder maybe you are the one who built BK and built it alone

Anyway, to be fair JT will definitely look much taller especially with its design that has a single angle up to more than a kilometer, BK won't be that much massive in both ways, height and design
__________________
KFUPM Graduate

K.S.A, RafiAnsari liked this post
fayzoon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2016, 05:21 PM   #15335
Gabriel900
Super Mod
 
Gabriel900's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Dubai, Beirut
Posts: 7,828
Likes (Received): 29106

Quote:
Originally Posted by fayzoon View Post
I'm honestly not sure why you always look like in a challenge with so much hatred in your replies. I wonder maybe you are the one who built BK and built it alone
Read what the architects in the posts above mine said and you will understand that what is being discussed is based on Science not hatred! Next time I will add a smiley face so I won't offend anyone.
__________________
"The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible" ~ Winston Churchill
Gabriel900 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2016, 05:37 PM   #15336
naki
Registered User
 
naki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: xian
Posts: 359
Likes (Received): 1341

__________________

Monthes, Zaz965 liked this post
naki no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2016, 06:49 PM   #15337
fayzoon
Fayez
 
fayzoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Jubail - Saudi Arabia
Posts: 1,060
Likes (Received): 2042

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel900 View Post
Read what the architects in the posts above mine said and you will understand that what is being discussed is based on Science not hatred! Next time I will add a smiley face so I won't offend anyone.
If it is based on science then, reply to the second line that I wrote

+ take it easy, there is no offence and I wasn't talking about the smiley face.
__________________
KFUPM Graduate
fayzoon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2016, 07:42 PM   #15338
CopyLeft
Architect
 
CopyLeft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 441
Likes (Received): 277

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel900 View Post
Read what the architects in the posts above mine said and you will understand that what is being discussed is based on Science not hatred! Next time I will add a smiley face so I won't offend anyone.
Yapp, this guy has a bit of a problem to understand a plain unsugared talk. I hope he's just a kid, and not a meth junkie. It's a pity he litters here too often though, but I learned to take it easy, because this thread consists of 99% thin air. Maybe it should be renamed to "Gasbags corner"... Take it easey, fellaz. Cheers
CopyLeft no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2016, 08:18 PM   #15339
droneriot
Urban Hermit
 
droneriot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cydonia Mensae
Posts: 4,666
Likes (Received): 2623

Our brains aren't computers, and our eyes don't have laser measurement tools to determine exact dimensions, and both play tricks on us.

It's funny because with these two towers being almost identical in basic structure, you can compare it to a phenomenon you see everywhere in Germany: Try again around looking at wind turbines and easily tell which one is a shorter one or a medium one or a taller one, unless you have a frame of reference like knowing their design or them standing next to each other, it's seriously difficult to tell most of the time. They all look like huge wind turbines to the naked eye.

If you go to Jeddah and Dubai in 2020 or so not knowing the towers' respective heights, yeah, they're gonna look like huge pointy three-winged towers to the naked eye.
droneriot está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2016, 09:28 PM   #15340
CopyLeft
Architect
 
CopyLeft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 441
Likes (Received): 277

Quote:
Originally Posted by droneriot View Post
It's funny because with these two towers being almost identical in basic structure
Oh, I see: it looks tall to you, huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by droneriot View Post
Our brains aren't computers, and our eyes don't have laser measurement tools to determine exact dimensions, and both play tricks on us.

It's funny because with these two towers being almost identical in basic structure, you can compare it to a phenomenon you see everywhere in Germany: Try again around looking at wind turbines and easily tell which one is a shorter one or a medium one or a taller one, unless you have a frame of reference like knowing their design or them standing next to each other, it's seriously difficult to tell most of the time. They all look like huge wind turbines to the naked eye.

If you go to Jeddah and Dubai in 2020 or so not knowing the towers' respective heights, yeah, they're gonna look like huge pointy three-winged towers to the naked eye.
And BTW, you can only tell about your own naked eye. There was (and still there is) a common misconception from 1990s: 300 dpi was considered to be a perception threshold for printed materials. Al least it used to be marketed that way, but it was probably linked to the limited abilities of printing and DTP equipment. Because somehow, now I can distinguish each of my phone's 3,686,400 pixels. Which is way over 500 ppi of its screen.
So IDFC about any common bywords. If your brain is not a computer, you can only say this much. Admit your peculiarity, you can even try to substantiate why you're not like everybody else etc. But don't interpolate onto the others.

Last edited by CopyLeft; July 17th, 2016 at 10:45 PM.
CopyLeft no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
hypertall, jeddah economic city, jeddah tower, kingdom tower, megatall, tallest

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu