daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 29th, 2016, 12:33 PM   #15421
Aesthetics of Otara

Likes (Received): 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by noir-dresses View Post
You people are bickering over height, and your not focused on what's really important being will this tower have the financing for completion?

Oil is tumbling again, and the KSA will be burning through more cash reserves if the price of oil keeps dropping. Kingdom Holding has also lost a lot money, and construction contractors are on the verge of being paid with IOU's.

The new guard are even planning to off load their countries cash cow oil because they know it's worthless from now on in an anticipated IPO of Aramco. Obviously if they knew if oil would be worth more in the future they would pump less today, so in the future they could get more market share, or not. Instead they very well know the United States will never ever be in a energy straight jacket again so they are stuck between a rock, and a very hard place.

To make matters worse the KSA is involved/supporting/financing two proxy wars on it's Southern, and Northern borders which they just cant win. With all their modern weaponry they can't over throw rag tag armies in Toyota pick up trucks, and small arms fire power which is also bleeding them valuable finance. To make matters worse it looks like Turkey wont support them any more in the North, they have other plans from what we see after the attempted coup. There is a very strong chance Iran will have a solid hegemony in Iraq, Syria, and Lebanon to the North in the future.

Then you get the possibility of Trump being president which would be the nail in the coffin. There will be no more KSA external political shenanigans, a thirteenth century mind set will need to catch up to today's real world very quickly.

So people in the end let's be real, if this building get's finished it will be a miracle.
There is still money sloshing around, and being such a high-profile project I consider it extremely unlikely that this will be left half-completed, if only to prevent the glaring embarrassment of another Ryugyong Hotel skeleton standing in stark testimony to the weakness of the state. I think a bigger problem is who is going to actually move into this white elephant when it is finshed.

As for Trump, I really have no idea what impact you think he is going to have on world affairs beyond making America's already dreadful international image even worse.
Aesthetics of Otara no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 29th, 2016, 01:41 PM   #15422
Bligh

Likes (Received): 796

That Michelangelo Tower is dreadful.

Anybody have an idea of when the cladding will be added?
~

L O N D O N
~

instagram//photography: @leaf.it.out.luke
Bligh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2016, 01:58 PM   #15423
noir-dresses
bling bling

Likes (Received): 2261

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aesthetics of Otara View Post
There is still money sloshing around, and being such a high-profile project I consider it extremely unlikely that this will be left half-completed, if only to prevent the glaring embarrassment of another Ryugyong Hotel skeleton standing in stark testimony to the weakness of the state. I think a bigger problem is who is going to actually move into this white elephant when it is finshed.

As for Trump, I really have no idea what impact you think he is going to have on world affairs beyond making America's already dreadful international image even worse.
As the going says "the trend is not their friend"!!!

In world affairs the Saudis were always distantly tolerated like the weird uncle at family gatherings. What's more important is why are they throwing a lot of cash the Clinton's way?
noir-dresses no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2016, 03:11 PM   #15424
fayzoon
Fayez

Likes (Received): 2044

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel900 View Post
They already started ground works and 10 towers are already under construction around this one as well. Emaar never plays around it's the number one developer in the Middle East.
Number one based on what? Sorry but, last time I checked, Bin Laden is much bigger in all aspects
Old July 29th, 2016, 03:22 PM   #15425
Gabriel900
Super Mod

Likes (Received): 29153

Quote:
Originally Posted by noir-dresses View Post
So people in the end let's be real, if this building get's finished it will be a miracle.
I posted the following on 15 January 2015: (almost a year and a half ago)

Quote:
The reason I stated that I'm not very optimistic when it comes to the completion of this tower in time is the fact that I read many reports and financial forecasts talking about the repercussion of the oil price drop we are seeing worldwide.

The mentioned as well that one of the major countries that will be severely affected by this is Saudi Arabia, which is already dealing with increasing poverty issues. This will affect no doubt the progression of this tower and will put it on hold for a while.
I received so much hate and attacks back then, but now we are approaching such a period. I still hope it won't be as bad as expected noir-dresses!

HenryX liked this post
Gabriel900 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2016, 03:53 PM   #15426
fayzoon
Fayez

Likes (Received): 2044

You can say you are right instead of deleting your reply, you won't lose a thing
Everybody have got wrong information
Old July 29th, 2016, 04:14 PM   #15427
Aesthetics of Otara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
That Michelangelo Tower is dreadful.
This guy doesn't have the wrong information. The only thing worse than that Michaelangelo Tower is the idea that some people out there like it! It's an absolute disgrace of a design!

Bligh liked this post
Old July 29th, 2016, 04:17 PM   #15428
victor del rey

Likes (Received): 391

Quote:
This guy doesn't have the wrong information. The only thing worse than that Michaelangelo Tower is the idea that some people out there like it! It's an absolute disgrace of a design!
Just because you think something, doesn't make it true

Last edited by victor del rey; July 29th, 2016 at 04:27 PM.
victor del rey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2016, 05:20 PM   #15429
Aesthetics of Otara

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor del rey View Post
Just because you think something, doesn't make it true
Not normally, but in this case my opinion is pretty watertight. Take another look at it and tell me what redeeming qualities that tasteless piece of crap has (I assume you understand we are not talking about the Jeddah Tower).
Old July 29th, 2016, 07:07 PM   #15430
noir-dresses
bling bling

Quote:
I posted the following on 15 January 2015: (almost a year and a half ago)

I received so much hate and attacks back then, but now we are approaching such a period. I still hope it won't be as bad as expected noir-dresses!
Don't get me wrong Gabriel, I would like to see this building built in the end, but let's be real the KSA is heading into a financial, and political tsunami with many head winds.

Gabriel900 liked this post
Old July 29th, 2016, 07:37 PM   #15431
noir-dresses
bling bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by fayzoon View Post
Number one based on what? Sorry but, last time I checked, Bin Laden is much bigger in all aspects
They had to lay off 20 percent of their work force not so long ago which would lead one to believe times are tough.
Old July 29th, 2016, 07:40 PM   #15432
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2623

Quote:
It's not a design, they're just pitching their "3D printing for ornamentation"-idea, I doubt they actually put much thought into "designing" it. The self-proclaimed "architecture critics" who deride the "design" make themselves look like Trekkies debating whether Klingons and Romulans can actually have kids together.

The Shimizu Mega-City Pyramid is a more serious proposal to debate over its architectural merits.
droneriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2016, 08:46 PM   #15433
Aesthetics of Otara

Quote:
Originally Posted by droneriot View Post
It's not a design, they're just pitching their "3D printing for ornamentation"-idea, I doubt they actually put much thought into "designing" it. The self-proclaimed "architecture critics" who deride the "design" make themselves look like Trekkies debating whether Klingons and Romulans can actually have kids together.

The Shimizu Mega-City Pyramid is a more serious proposal to debate over its architectural merits.
It is a commisioned architectural design. Probably no chance of ever getting built, but you could have at least done a google search before mouthing off...

http://www.archdaily.com/778865/mark...-for-manhattan
Old July 29th, 2016, 09:15 PM   #15434
naki

Likes (Received): 1341

At the top of wolf crane.

isaccozampieri, HenryX, Zaz965 liked this post
naki no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2016, 11:11 PM   #15435
CopyLeft
Architect

Likes (Received): 277

del
CopyLeft no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2016, 12:57 AM   #15436
Dave-in-Toronto

Likes (Received): 683

Not the best photo - taken at 12 am local time, July 30, but better than a lot of off-topic discussion!

P.S. Are there moderators who monitor this tread?

Ivan the Immigrant liked this post
Dave-in-Toronto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2016, 04:21 AM   #15437
DFDalton
Banished from SSP

Likes (Received): 127

We've seen these kind of work slowdowns on (ultimately failed) projects before. It's pretty obvious that this thing is on life support now, waiting for a miracle that probably won't come. It made very little economic sense when oil was $100/bbl. It makes no sense at all with oil near $40/bbl for the foreseeable future.

CopyLeft, HenryX liked this post
DFDalton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2016, 12:02 PM   #15438
The-Real-Link
The-Real-Link!!

Likes (Received): 300

I thought the tower was already financed and budgeted for, though? Unless they literally say oh hey, we need that money back or we can't pay. Hopefully this won't stall out but as was said, there are more risks there today for the country than before when this was proposed.
The-Real-Link no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2016, 02:32 PM   #15439
GulfArabia

Likes (Received): 1513

This is not being built by gov's oil money...

RafiAnsari, trustevil liked this post
GulfArabia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2016, 04:09 PM   #15440
RafiAnsari
Jeddah Guy

Likes (Received): 40

People on this thread must be really really dumb. How many f times do we have to tell that this Tower has already been f financed and the price of oil falling won't affect it!

oud-Rotterdammer liked this post
RafiAnsari no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
hypertall, jeddah economic city, jeddah tower, kingdom tower, megatall, tallest