daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 30th, 2016, 04:53 PM   #15441
noir-dresses
bling bling

Likes (Received): 2261

Quote:
Originally Posted by RafiAnsari View Post
People on this thread must be really really dumb. How many f times do we have to tell that this Tower has already been f financed and the price of oil falling won't affect it!
Excuse our ignorance, once we dummy's hear, and visually see the project is having financial issues/problems we tend to think it's because of the Kingdom's slowdown in oil revenue. Glad to hear your diverse economy, and developers are on top of it. We will be eagerly watching, and anticipating it's completion in the coming years.

Gabriel900, jaceq, RafiAnsari, Nahemah, Bligh and 2 others liked this post
noir-dresses no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 30th, 2016, 07:53 PM   #15442
Mr.Boss

Likes (Received): 139

Actually the project itself will not be effected by the oil price.
The Saudi bin laden group which they are the constructor has some issues! The oil price is one of these issues, but they are getting better these days.
So the slow progress is not related only to the oil price absolutely. It is related to the bin laden group issues.

reebtogi liked this post

Last edited by Mr.Boss; July 30th, 2016 at 08:02 PM.
Mr.Boss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2016, 08:13 PM   #15443
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

Likes (Received): 2793

I'm not an expert on real estate finance, but I'm fairly certain Kingdom Holding Company didn't just set aside a few billion in a checking account. The money is drawn from their diverse investments, which are all affected by the economy at large. Oil prices play a significant role there. Also, I'm willing to bet petrochemicals make up a large percentage of the KHC portfolio.

noir-dresses brings up an interesting point about the deteriorating geopolitical situation in SA and the Middle East. Not sure how much a multinational company is influenced by that sort of thing, but it can't be good.

That said, we're all rooting for this thing to be completed.

Gabriel900, plarsson95, HenryX liked this post
j-biz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2016, 08:18 PM   #15444
Demuan0

Likes (Received): 3230

Tried for you) Used photo from 22/07/2016

Last edited by Demuan0; July 31st, 2016 at 02:20 AM.
Demuan0 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2016, 09:30 PM   #15445
AnOldBlackMarble
read lightship chronicles

Likes (Received): 5767

Well the people building this are billionaires several times over, so they can pay if out of pocket. The economy should not matter at this point. The only mistake here would be if they are using foreign workers. If they are, than that money will be leaving Saudi Arabia, that's why it's important to use native workers so that the money stays home, and cycles back into the economy. This entire project, with the surrounding city, should be profitable for Saudi Arabia, just like these kind of projects are profitable in New York, Hong Kong, and every other city, because there they use native workers, and all the money invested just gets cycled back into the local economy.

So in the long term what will determine if this project is profitable or not depends on how many of the workers are native or foreign, and also by how easy will it be for foreigners with money to buy up property there as well. You want local workers, but foreign investors. You want money coming in, not leaving out.

reebtogi liked this post
AnOldBlackMarble no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2016, 02:25 AM   #15446
De Klauw

Likes (Received): 2411

Those so called 'billionaires' all also depended on the world economy. If's there a crisis it effects them the most. Look at the global crisis of 2008 and the position of Russian billionaires after 2014. Most Saudi billionaires are almost exclusively depending on oil dollars. So of course the oil prices affect this kind of projects.

Quote:
This entire project, with the surrounding city, should be profitable for Saudi Arabia, just like these kind of projects are profitable in New York, Hong Kong, and every other city, because there they use native workers, and all the money invested just gets cycled back into the local economy.
Towers of this size are not profitable. Skyscrapers were originally a reaction to ground prices. But here they are building towers in empty deserts. In Dubai and Saudi Arabia these towers are used as a landmark to jack up property prizes of the surrounding area. We will see if works out or not. Saudi Arabia is not the best place for foreign investors because of idiotic islamic regime. So it's very questionable if it will be beneficial. Don't forget: buildings itself do not make economy, it's whats that inside that matters. And just building a tower does not make company's necessary to occupy the buildings.

JMR75, HenryX liked this post

Last edited by De Klauw; July 31st, 2016 at 02:31 AM.
De Klauw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2016, 06:39 AM   #15447
Aesthetics of Otara

Likes (Received): 113

I hear the Bin Laden Group is under pressure from the government over the Mecca crane collapse, so maybe that is one of the issues. As for suggesting the project needs Saudi workers... Please, if you can find me one Saudi citizen in the whole country who is prepared to work as a construction labourer then I'll finance the project myself!

reebtogi, wespje1990, TallBox liked this post
Aesthetics of Otara no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2016, 08:09 AM   #15448
fayzoon
Fayez

Likes (Received): 2052

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aesthetics of Otara View Post
I hear the Bin Laden Group is under pressure from the government over the Mecca crane collapse, so maybe that is one of the issues. As for suggesting the project needs Saudi workers... Please, if you can find me one Saudi citizen in the whole country who is prepared to work as a construction labourer then I'll finance the project myself!
I can, please me send money
Old July 31st, 2016, 12:36 PM   #15449
noir-dresses
bling bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aesthetics of Otara View Post
That just shows you that the poster has never been in the KSA, and doesn't know the way things are run over there. What he actually said is normal in a normal world where the locals actually work in there home country.

BTW no company in the KSA is diverse enough to be non reliant on oil because the people who pay them most likely are.

One austerity I feel sorry for are the younger generation in the KSA who now won't have their government pay for there education abroad, that has also been cut drastically due to declining oil revenue.

King of Construction liked this post
Old July 31st, 2016, 01:18 PM   #15450
qwerty1812

Likes (Received): 28

Hi, Im miguel from Spain, I love this building, keep on posting new pics, thanks!

kalim shekh liked this post
qwerty1812 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2016, 02:20 AM   #15451
noir-dresses
bling bling

Some positive news in the KSA which should help trickle needed liquidity into the banking sector/economy, and hopefully this project.

Saudi Arabia Said to Have Offered $4 Billion to Banks

Saudi Arabia’s central bank offered lenders short-term loans in late June to help ease liquidity constraints

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...ction-to-banks
Old August 1st, 2016, 11:46 AM   #15452
Bligh

Likes (Received): 796

Does anybody know when the Cladding will be added?
~

L O N D O N
~

instagram//photography: @leaf.it.out.luke
Bligh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2016, 12:17 PM   #15453
Checoblett

Likes (Received): 428

August Update

Old August 1st, 2016, 12:26 PM   #15454
GulfArabia

Likes (Received): 1513

There are no native construction workers in saudi, they only take engineering and manegment jobs in that field as far as i know...

RafiAnsari, HenryX liked this post
GulfArabia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2016, 01:16 PM   #15455
shobana08k

Likes (Received): 6

Kingdom Tower.. Amazing.. Imperial Tower is the Tallest building in our Country..
shobana08k no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2016, 09:26 PM   #15456
wespje1990

Likes (Received): 806

India is calling back 10.000 workers who are exploited by SA, no food and no money.

people should deny this topic-tower its scandalous

erbse liked this post
wespje1990 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2016, 10:09 PM   #15457
noir-dresses
bling bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by wespje1990 View Post
India is calling back 10.000 workers who are exploited by SA, no food and no money.

people should deny this topic-tower its scandalous
Here's the CNN report regarding the sad news of Indian labor. It's come to the point where people have not been paid, they have little food, or water, and no means to get home because their passports have been taken away, plus no paid return ticket.

The Indian government should just get all the nationals out of the KSA, and by law make it illegal from them to go there any more. Any way the Indian economy is picking up while the KSA is in a mess they cant fix in the short term.

This is why I'm saying it will be a miracle if this building gets completed.

BTW oil has dropped again today, plus the KSA are undercutting the price of oil to Asia so they don't lose market share to the Iranians. This problem will not get any better soon.

For those who want to see how oil is dropping here's a link,

https://www.dailyfx.com/crude-oil

http://money.cnn.com/2016/08/01/news...p-toplead-intl
Old August 2nd, 2016, 12:03 AM   #15458
avfd26

Likes (Received): 2

Demuan0 Enjoyed your picture.

Demuan0 liked this post
avfd26 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2016, 04:42 PM   #15459
Muhammad Umar Iqbal

Likes (Received): 8