daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 24th, 2010, 07:54 AM   #1561
ibib

Likes (Received): 2894

Treasury gets $11.7 billion from sale of GM stock
The Associated Press

Jeff Kowalsky

A Saudi billionaire has invested $500 million in General Motors Co., representing 1 percent of its worth. More News
Treasury gets $11.7 billion from sale of GM stock Missouri, Kansas jobless rates rise a bit in October from September Obama administration faults lenders in foreclosures KC Chamber leaders promise to fight to keep earnings tax Fed officials clashed over bond purchases Kansas House majority leader will fill Colyer’s Senate seat KC Chamber president promises ‘bold and courageous’ civic leadership Kansas announces immediate ban on four alcoholic energy drinks Salaries of Missouri education department administrators come under fire Columbia banker Fraser resigns as Missouri curator Kansas bans alcoholic energy drinks Nixon wants second nuclear plant in Callaway County Skelton’s departure brings uncertainty to Fort Leonard Wood area KC’s home-repair program raises concerns among federal officials The Buzz | You betcha, I guess Guests on today’s TV news shows Obama tells GOP not to hold up Russia arms treaty Nixon backs billing electric customers for development of another nuclear plant Gitmo detainee acquitted of all but 1 charge in NY More deer killings in Shawnee Mission Park The Treasury Department says it has received $11.7 billion from the sale of 358.5 million shares of General Motors stock.

The Treasury announced that the net proceeds from the GM stock sold last week were delivered Tuesday.

Treasury officials said that the government could receive an additional $1.8 billion, assuming the underwriters exercise options to purchase an additional 53.8 million shares of GM common stock within 30 days of the initial stock offering.

Last year the government had put $49.5 billion into GM as part of its bailout of the giant automaker.

In addition, Treasury said Tuesday it would receive $2.1 billion more from GM when the automaker repurchases preferred stock that was issued under the government’s $700 billion Troubled Asset Relief Program. That sale is supposed to take place in December.

The $11.7 billion in net proceeds represented the amount the government received after subtracting fees paid to the banks that handled the initial public offering.

TARP was used to stabilize the financial system and prop up auto companies GM and Chrysler and insurance giant American International Group.

With the receipt of the $11.7 billion from last week’s sale of GM stock, the Treasury said that a total of $252.1 billion had been returned to taxpayers from TARP.

Meanwhile, a Saudi billionaire has invested $500 million in GM. Kingdom Holding Co. said Prince Alwaleed bin Talal and Kingdom Holding’s buy-in amounted to 1 percent of GM’s value.

Kingdom Holding said the decision to invest in the automaker was based on “the global strength of General Motors brand, the relatively attractive offering price, and the company’s growth prospects in Brazil and China.”
Posted on Tue, Nov. 23, 2010 10:35 PM

http://www.kansascity.com/2010/11/23...#ixzz16Azq5TdX

Sponsored Links
Old November 24th, 2010, 05:24 PM   #1562
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8240

Quote:
Originally Posted by èđđeůx View Post
Dubai will strike back once immediately after Kingdom Tower is built. Dubai must always have the tallest tower in the world, and especially the tallest in the ME. So Kingdom Tower will be surpassed one-two years after construction by a mega tower. 2km is all that's needed.
i doubt that. i think they next to surpass Kingdom Tower might be a building in China before 2025
Old November 24th, 2010, 07:15 PM   #1563
DinoVabec
Worldwide

Likes (Received): 752

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerZavatar View Post
i doubt that. i think they next to surpass Kingdom Tower might be a building in China before 2025
The same thoughts in my head..
DinoVabec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2010, 09:45 PM   #1564
èđđeůx
Still Comin' Out Strong

Likes (Received): 1955

Quote:
maybe I overexaggerated. But Taipei 101 was the tallest building for what 3 years upon completion (2004-2007), and longer (2004-2010) if you don't count Burj Khalifa as the tallest until completion (as it had passed taipei 101 in '07 in height). Petronas Twin Towers were the tallest for 6 years too (1998-2004). So if Kingdom Tower takes off soon (at least by next year) it should claim the title by 2017-2018 latest. So your estimate of it being surpassed before 2025 is right, but in the next 8 years Dubai could have another towered proposed and U/C, and one could also start constructoin in China. If that is so, then KT may only be tallest for 2-3 years. And that is if it's topped out by 2017, and if by 2014 a taller tower is U/C.

NijmegenCity liked this post
èđđeůx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2010, 09:14 AM   #1565
alheaine
™♥•♥•♥™

Likes (Received): 1467

i have high hopes for this project..hehehe..we are reinventing our world in a new perspective..onwards for the future..higher towers for the richer..rofl..
Love most those who Hate me."

--Alheaine Dredjshiah 2011

alheaine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2010, 09:27 AM   #1566
no_gods

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
they have few 600+ megatall U/C or proposed in China, but a 1km+ would destroy the skyline imo

no_gods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2010, 08:22 PM   #1567
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8240

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_gods View Post
they have few 600+ megatall U/C or proposed in China, but a 1km+ would destroy the skyline imo
i may be needed in near future though. all the 600m towers that are proposed or under construction are not just to show that they are the best, the office space is needed in those cities.
Old November 25th, 2010, 08:51 PM   #1568
GulfArabia

Likes (Received): 1513

saudi population now is 27 million with 60% under 18 of age, and its going to double to 60 million in less than 10 years, plus saudi is in need with more than 1.5 million house units per year. so why not build a new city (kingdom city, KAEC + 7 more economic cities under construction + 40 new universities 10 giants are under construction) + one really huge skyscraper kingdom tower
Old November 25th, 2010, 10:16 PM   #1569
èđđeůx
Still Comin' Out Strong

60 million in 10 years? Jesus crist do you guys have nothing better to do over there?

regardless of the population explosion, you guys need to diversify your economy somehow. So to an extent I guess Kingdom Tower and KAEC are justifiable. No construction bubble like dubai.

Old November 25th, 2010, 10:40 PM   #1570
GulfArabia

its a very family oriented society :p, big families
Old November 26th, 2010, 01:19 AM   #1571
luci203

Likes (Received): 1202

Quote:
i doubt that. If they had the ambition to enter some "who build higher race" they could do it now.

don't think they are interested in chasing this record.

Quote:
i may be needed in near future though. all the 600m towers that are proposed or under construction are not just to show that they are the best, the office space is needed in those cities.
No city "need" a 1km tower.

With it's footprint, Burj Khalifa, without the setbacks and it's massive core to support the +800m height, it would reach the curent space floor probably around 400-500m (if not lower).

Last edited by luci203; November 26th, 2010 at 01:32 AM.
luci203 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2010, 03:44 AM   #1572
fayzoon
Fayez

Likes (Received): 2042

Men,don't be disappointed, they're just going to start very soon!
Old November 26th, 2010, 03:20 PM   #1573
Mesch
أنا عايزة اعيش

Likes (Received): 885

Quote:
Originally Posted by GulfArabia View Post
saudi population now is 27 million with 60% under 18 of age, and its going to double to 60 million in less than 10 years, plus saudi is in need with more than 1.5 million house units per year. so why not build a new city (kingdom city, KAEC + 7 more economic cities under construction + 40 new universities 10 giants are under construction) + one really huge skyscraper kingdom tower
source?

Mesch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2010, 04:16 PM   #1574
GulfArabia

i read it somewhere, just google it, i found one source which says within 28 years.
Old November 26th, 2010, 07:15 PM   #1575
nuriel6633
Taylor Swift <3

Likes (Received): 4

How can it be possible?
I read an article that in Israel there are 27% of the population are kids between 0-14. Compared to 14% in Arab countries!
Now Arab countries can be anything,but Saudi Arabia could make this number higher,cause there is almost no chance that in all other Arab countries there are only between 0-12% population under age 14!!

Btw - GulfArabia,your signature disturbes me a bit

nuriel6633 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2010, 07:54 PM   #1576
krkseg1ops

Likes (Received): 1152

Dude, your location disturbes me too. And?
Old November 26th, 2010, 08:56 PM   #1577
nuriel6633
Taylor Swift <3

Likes (Received): 4

Just wanted to say..
I am not here to talk about Politics,I am here to talk about SC.
So please stop those discussions..

As for the topic - It would be amazing if they would build that tower
When will it be U/C?

nuriel6633 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2010, 10:21 PM   #1578
èđđeůx
Still Comin' Out Strong

any day now, if I am correctly quoting the words of GulfArabia.

Old November 26th, 2010, 11:49 PM   #1579
fayzoon
Fayez

Likes (Received): 2042

back to our topic,please guys?
Old November 27th, 2010, 04:37 AM   #1580
sweet-d

Likes (Received): 265

This building will look really good if it ever gets built but it'd also be a huge wast of money. But hey they got plenty of money too.

sweet-d no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
hypertall, jeddah economic city, jeddah tower, kingdom tower, megatall, tallest