daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 16th, 2016, 05:54 PM   #15901
Meehoowk666

Likes (Received): 48

this concept is very interesting, i also had something in this direction in mind, a bit reminiscent of the art déco style

i like the base and the spire especially, the round observation platform reminds of the ESB one, of course i would make some changes to it

i don't know but having setbacks at different heights makes the design more interesting as in Burj Khalifa, though one can grasp the form much harder in the process and the construction is more complicated...

nice work AP!
Meehoowk666 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 16th, 2016, 05:56 PM   #15902
Meehoowk666

Quote:
Very similar to the overall dimensions of Jeddah Tower, only with tiers. Every tier is set 3m off the previous one, with 4m in the middle (evolving tiers), which creates dozens of terraces up to 100sq.m each - for the elite penthouses. The glass fencing on the terraces is 2.9m tall - for the safety measures, like in BK.

The original picture is 3936x1920pix (click to view).
October 13th, 2016 02:52 PM
this concept is very interesting, i also had something in this direction in mind, a bit reminiscent of the art déco style, which has arguably some of if not the most beautiful elements incorporated in skyscrapers

i like the base and the spire especially, the round observation platform reminds of the ESB one, of course i would make some changes to it

i don't know but having setbacks at different heights makes the design more interesting as in Burj Khalifa, though one can grasp the form much harder in the process and the construction is more complicated...

nice work AP!
Old October 16th, 2016, 10:39 PM   #15903
AP Design
BANNED

Likes (Received): 498

Thank you for your detailed comment! Whenever there's a goal of making the design quite architectural, the choice of Art Deco becomes obvious for hi-rise towers. I agree, it's the most appropriate style for skyscrapers. Reaching the sky is the very essence of this style.

Having the setbacks in tapered towers is the only rational choice for GCC countries. Because any inclined surface (even with a slight angle) gathers an immense amount of dust in just a few days, esp. during the highest humidity periods. Ideally, the design like JT will require washing the sloped surfaces at least once a week in order to keep them adequately clean. So we can expect the slopes of JT wings to look quite dirty most of the time.

The tiered design would only simplify the construction. Because each floor's shape is the same within one tier, it changes only every 19 floors in my design (18 habitable + 1 technical).

It's quite allright if it's not that easy to grasp the architectural idea. Much worse if there's no idea at all. JT's cut-outs on most of it's length look quite random. I tried to play some notes in my mind with their rhythm - it doesn't work as a melody. I hardly imagine someone would try to play it with a metal stick while falling from the top anyway, but I made an effort to decode the idea. So far it proves to be absent there. I remain convinced they are random and don't support any idea.

Meehoowk666 liked this post
AP Design no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2016, 11:35 PM   #15904
Mr.Boss

Likes (Received): 139

Works will accelerate in the next 2 months.
Currently, it seems like 1 floor per 10-12 days

Also they are working now on the surrounding facilities.

iKHALEDM, RafiAnsari liked this post
Mr.Boss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2016, 01:02 AM   #15905
Meehoowk666

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP Design View Post
Thank you for your detailed comment! Whenever there's a goal of making the design quite architectural, the choice of Art Deco becomes obvious for hi-rise towers. I agree, it's the most appropriate style for skyscrapers. Reaching the sky is the very essence of this style.

Having the setbacks in tapered towers is the only rational choice for GCC countries. Because any inclined surface (even with a slight angle) gathers an immense amount of dust in just a few days, esp. during the highest humidity periods. Ideally, the design like JT will require washing the sloped surfaces at least once a week in order to keep them adequately clean. So we can expect the slopes of JT wings to look quite dirty most of the time.

The tiered design would only simplify the construction. Because each floor's shape is the same within one tier, it changes only every 19 floors in my design (18 habitable + 1 technical).

It's quite allright if it's not that easy to grasp the architectural idea. Much worse if there's no idea at all. JT's cut-outs on most of it's length look quite random. I tried to play some notes in my mind with their rhythm - it doesn't work as a melody. I hardly imagine someone would try to play it with a metal stick while falling from the top anyway, but I made an effort to decode the idea. So far it proves to be absent there. I remain convinced they are random and don't support any idea.
no problem, also thank you for this insight, i didn't think about that problem in this way, yes i meant that by having the setbacks on the same floor as in your design it eases many problems, also makes it easier to grasp, but i have the problem where i like to have a simpler body geometry, but the silhouette and other parts then don't look as interesting as with the setback case

i also thought of those JT sides as not logical, maybe there is some other formula related to it... but nice to read that someone thought about the melody - i'm not a big fan of JTs Design, but it possibly was desired and necessary to limit cost idk
for me it is too much interior walls and tilted side walls for me, that ecen get wider with height, also too much unoccupied height for my taste, yet i don't think of it as ugly, i just would have liked an approach like BK more (even though that has 244m unoccupied height) - JT may be another evolution in structurally engineering those heights though, maybe the facade will turn out nice and save it for me, but i don't expect it to overshadow BK one's which i just adore, not so much its architectural last ~200m
Old October 17th, 2016, 05:25 PM   #15906
Largechris

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by oud-Rotterdammer View Post
Yes, but also the crane must be able to reach it.
The crane is already present, not easy to change it if necessary.

A higher steel spire will mean a higher wind load, on the point where it is anchored to the concrete.
This would mean a re-design of the anchoring, if possible at all.

A spire 10-20 m higher would be possible.
But in my estimate, 100-200 m is not a realistic option.
This

I know it's tempting to think of just adding another 50 or 100m to the spire, but any change at all would be a major engineering effort.
It is already a very big metal spire, 44m, on top of 300m of concrete spire.
44m was for example the largest hub height for wind turbines in around 1995 (they go up to 160m now, but even those designs include 100m of concrete pillar).

Meehoowk666 liked this post
Largechris no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2016, 09:18 PM   #15907
AP Design
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meehoowk666 View Post
...i also thought of those JT sides as not logical, maybe there is some other formula related to it...
I bet there is. If I will have some extra time, I will sketch it up - a design much simpler than 14 evolving tiers, yet very practical and just as easy to recall in one's mind as Burj Al Arab and Emirates towers (a.k.a. "iconic").
Old October 17th, 2016, 11:48 PM   #15908
delphi7x10

Likes (Received): 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by oud-Rotterdammer View Post
Yes, but also the crane must be able to reach it.
The crane is already present, not easy to change it if necessary.

A higher steel spire will mean a higher wind load, on the point where it is anchored to the concrete.
This would mean a re-design of the anchoring, if possible at all.

A spire 10-20 m higher would be possible.
But in my estimate, 100-200 m is not a realistic option.
They could bring in a new crane to do the mast at the top, just as they did on the Burg Dubai. That crane was mounted on a temporary platform to the side of the main building. Or of course they could the could use small sections and airlift them as they did on the CN Tower, and WTC.
delphi7x10 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2016, 06:30 AM   #15909
AP Design
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP Design View Post
I bet there is. If I will have some extra time, I will sketch it up - a design much simpler than 14 evolving tiers, yet very practical and just as easy to recall in one's mind as Burj Al Arab and Emirates towers (a.k.a. "iconic").
This is a massing design of a uniquely styled Art Deco tower. I have made it much simpler than the previous, yet very architectural and clean in its forms. This design aims to be instantly memorable and to have a distinctive silhouette, so that it is easy to recognize its unique shape among the rest of the towers (an "iconic" design). The overall dimensions are closely matching to the dimensions of Jeddah Tower.
The radius of the tier roundings is 14m - enough for 3 floors to have terraces. It has only 4 tiers, 220 m tall each.

(click to open a larger image)
Old October 18th, 2016, 05:50 PM   #15910
Laith31

Likes (Received): 1

it looks amazing when is this going to be built
Laith31 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2016, 07:32 PM   #15911
delvie76

Likes (Received): 89

Only 167 floors for 1006m.
the spire is 336m.
336 m uninhabited to get a world record .
The same height as the World Financial Center in Tianjin who has 76
floors .
I confirm it's stupid .

CactusLord, Focalor liked this post
delvie76 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2016, 08:34 PM   #15912
Runninlikehell
Watchin' da Buildings!.

Likes (Received): 897

Quote:
Originally Posted by delvie76 View Post
the spire is 336m.
floors .
I confirm it's stupid .
Well, if they can do it, they'll do it. It's not a big deal, really.
Old October 18th, 2016, 09:20 PM   #15913
AP Design
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runninlikehell View Post
Well, if they can do it, they'll do it. It's not a big deal, really.
The physical possibility is there, but they will not do it.
Old October 19th, 2016, 06:02 AM   #15914
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Quote:
the spire is 336m.
floors .
I confirm it's stupid .
Due to the tapering shape of the architecture the floor space near the top is too small for habitation. So they have no choice but to add a really long spire or else it will look stupid with a flat top suddenly cutting the building off.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2016, 10:52 AM   #15915
K.S.A
Jeddah Tower Lover

Likes (Received): 4363

Core jumping now

now: 47 fl , 194 m
Old October 20th, 2016, 12:06 AM   #15916
jogiba

Likes (Received): 434

Quote:
the spire is 336m.
floors .
I confirm it's stupid .
Only 167 floors is stupid ? Really ?

Old October 20th, 2016, 02:30 AM   #15917
fayzoon
Fayez

Likes (Received): 2042

Quote:
the spire is 336m.
floors .
I confirm it's stupid .
Old October 20th, 2016, 02:52 AM   #15918
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8240

I rather have a 650m building with a huge as spire on top than a 650m building without a huge as spire :P
Old October 20th, 2016, 06:04 AM   #15919
Hamcl
JeddahTower Updates

Likes (Received): 1580

Ch.W, fayzoon, Munwon, Limatlas, KlausDiggy and 11 others liked this post
Hamcl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2016, 06:43 PM   #15920
K.S.A
Jeddah Tower Lover

Likes (Received): 4363

Tags
hypertall, jeddah economic city, jeddah tower, kingdom tower, megatall, tallest