daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 7th, 2011, 09:56 AM   #1661
fayzoon
Fayez

Likes (Received): 2042

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerZavatar View Post
the only one bumping this thread was a bot. thats kinda sad... i really hope this year it gets started
june 2011

Sponsored Links
Old January 7th, 2011, 10:01 AM   #1662
Eastern37
Optimist

Likes (Received): 3047

Eastern37 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2011, 06:02 PM   #1663
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8240

Quote:
Originally Posted by fayzoon View Post
june 2011
only guessed because then is the cityscape thing in Jeddah and it would make sense. Or is it confirmed that it will start then, finally?
Old January 7th, 2011, 09:48 PM   #1664
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

No its not, fayzoon is overreacting as usual.
Old January 10th, 2011, 01:21 AM   #1665
ibib

Likes (Received): 2894

Getting real
by Orlando Crowcroft on Jan 9, 2011

It is never easy getting accurate information about ongoing projects in Saudi Arabia, and Jeddah’s kilometre-high Kingdom Tower is no exception.

There were rumours towards the end of 2010 that an announcement on the progress of what is due to be the world’s tallest building by a fair margin would be forthcoming, but it was not, and calls to the developer Emaar came to nothing.

Meanwhile, the architecture firm that is alleged to be designing the 1,000m-high tower – Smith and Gill – not only said that there was no news about the project when contacted by Construction Week, but they refused to confirm they were involved in the project at all.

Indeed, it is telling that if you type ‘Kingdom Tower Jeddah’ into Google, you are presented with a whole host of pictures of Dubai’s kilometre-high Nakheel Tower, an ill-fated project that was shelved in the wake of the financial crisis.

Not only do we know nothing about Saudi’s supertall, we do not even know what it looks like.

I reflected on all this at the end of last year during a conversation with a Dubai-based architect who worked on the Burj Khalifa. He said that while people are often keen to talk about how the architects overcame the engineering challenges of building taller than ever before, few consider the commercial factors.

What makes the Burj successful – indeed, possible – he pointed out, was not people flocking to buy flats or hotel suites within it, but the 2 km2 of retail, leisure, residential and hospitality that surround it.

It is Dubai Mall, the Address Hotel and the thousands of tourists that visit these attractions daily that are paying for the Burj, not Giorgio Armani.

The designers of the Nakheel Tower, Woods Bagot, said something similar when I met them last summer. As one of the firm’s engineers commented, it was theoretically possible to build a tower as high as you like; it was paying for it that was the problem.

GCC governments may find it easier to find several billion dollars than most, but they are unlikely to front the cash without any prospect of commercial payback.

In light of this, it is not a surprise that information has been so lacking on the Kingdom Tower because – and this could come back to haunt me – I do not think it will ever get built.

Even with the limited amount of information we have about the project, it is impossible to conceive of how it could mirror the success of the Burj Khalifa, and thereby pay for itself.

As anyone who has been to Jeddah will tell you, the idea of a Jeddah Mall, replete with starry-eyed tourists lining up to have their photographs taken in front of the world’s tallest tower, is not just implausible, it is laughable.

As for top-end business hotels, Saudi Arabia’s draconian visa policies will continue to bar most from outside the Kingdom from filling the rooms, and domestic business travel can only go so far.

A brief walk around Downtown Dubai, with its mix of European, American, Indian, Pakistani and Chinese tourists and residents, shows who is paying for the Burj Khalifa, and not even 36-million Saudis – a majority of those not rich businessmen – can mirror that in commercial terms.

People will argue that with its young population, growing construction industry and monumental state coffers, Saudi Arabia can do anything it sets its sights on, but at the end of the day somebody has to pick up the tab for something as costly as the world’s tallest tower.

Indeed, the limited progress on sites such as Sports City, where a majority of the consultants were let go last year, shows that Saudi Arabia’s construction industry is not invincible at the end of the day.
Perhaps next week, next month, even next year, when plans are made public and work begins, I will have to eat my hat.

But for now, in a country that has KAUST, the KAFD, two iconic tall towers and eye-wateringly rich rulers, the proposed Kingdom Tower is one trophy project too many.

Orlando Crowcroft edits Architect Middle East.

Source: http://www.constructionweekonline.co...-getting-real/
Old January 10th, 2011, 02:12 AM   #1666
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

All very good arguments. It's hard to imagine hajj-bound tourists supporting a multi-billion dollar tower. If supertalls were guaranteed commercial successes, the world would be full of them. But they aren't. There have only been 50+ supertalls completed so far. Some successful, but many failures as well.

I think this one will still be built. Ego's and bragging rights are still part of human nature.
Old January 10th, 2011, 04:01 AM   #1667
Munwon

Likes (Received): 3188

This article is one man's opinion.... nothing more nothing less. I will wait untul Altin's little birdy talks. Skyscrapers in the long run make tons of money. Its the quick profit that people equate with failure, take the Empire State Building. When it opened people wrote it off as a clossal waste of money dubbing it the "Empty State Building".
Old January 10th, 2011, 04:14 AM   #1668
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Likes (Received): 350

Hi all.

A well written article - for once...
Even though the guy is not optomistic that it will be built he doesn't fill the paragraphs with a bunch of negativity and thinly veiled hate.

As Spectre posted there are valid aurguments against this project. The one that sticks out in my mind is the visa policy. Unless they loosen the restriction on tourists it is hard to see how this could be a succesfull project. Although not necessarily a reason not to build it, it normally is a major factor in proceeding. I say normally because the monarchy factor is very different than the rest of the world in regards to construction.

I am a bit perturbed over AS and GG's refusal to confirm any involvment in the project. I can see the reason for that before the architectural firm is chosen - but after they have won the contract ? I see no reason for this unless perhaps the articles from nearly a year ago were erroneous ...

Anyway... I remain optomistic that it will be built and designed by AS and GG.
Perhaps hopefull is a better term if for no other reason than the fact I am a skyscraper lover.

Ray.
Old January 10th, 2011, 05:10 AM   #1669
TXSkyWatcher

Likes (Received): 42

Hope you are right Fury, I'd love to see it built as well!
Old January 11th, 2011, 12:01 PM   #1670
fayzoon
Fayez

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibib View Post
Getting real
by Orlando Crowcroft on Jan 9, 2011

It is never easy getting accurate information about ongoing projects in Saudi Arabia, and Jeddah’s kilometre-high Kingdom Tower is no exception.

There were rumours towards the end of 2010 that an announcement on the progress of what is due to be the world’s tallest building by a fair margin would be forthcoming, but it was not, and calls to the developer Emaar came to nothing.

Meanwhile, the architecture firm that is alleged to be designing the 1,000m-high tower – Smith and Gill – not only said that there was no news about the project when contacted by Construction Week, but they refused to confirm they were involved in the project at all.

Indeed, it is telling that if you type ‘Kingdom Tower Jeddah’ into Google, you are presented with a whole host of pictures of Dubai’s kilometre-high Nakheel Tower, an ill-fated project that was shelved in the wake of the financial crisis.

Not only do we know nothing about Saudi’s supertall, we do not even know what it looks like.

I reflected on all this at the end of last year during a conversation with a Dubai-based architect who worked on the Burj Khalifa. He said that while people are often keen to talk about how the architects overcame the engineering challenges of building taller than ever before, few consider the commercial factors.

What makes the Burj successful – indeed, possible – he pointed out, was not people flocking to buy flats or hotel suites within it, but the 2 km2 of retail, leisure, residential and hospitality that surround it.

It is Dubai Mall, the Address Hotel and the thousands of tourists that visit these attractions daily that are paying for the Burj, not Giorgio Armani.

The designers of the Nakheel Tower, Woods Bagot, said something similar when I met them last summer. As one of the firm’s engineers commented, it was theoretically possible to build a tower as high as you like; it was paying for it that was the problem.

GCC governments may find it easier to find several billion dollars than most, but they are unlikely to front the cash without any prospect of commercial payback.

In light of this, it is not a surprise that information has been so lacking on the Kingdom Tower because – and this could come back to haunt me – I do not think it will ever get built.

Even with the limited amount of information we have about the project, it is impossible to conceive of how it could mirror the success of the Burj Khalifa, and thereby pay for itself.

As anyone who has been to Jeddah will tell you, the idea of a Jeddah Mall, replete with starry-eyed tourists lining up to have their photographs taken in front of the world’s tallest tower, is not just implausible, it is laughable.

As for top-end business hotels, Saudi Arabia’s draconian visa policies will continue to bar most from outside the Kingdom from filling the rooms, and domestic business travel can only go so far.

A brief walk around Downtown Dubai, with its mix of European, American, Indian, Pakistani and Chinese tourists and residents, shows who is paying for the Burj Khalifa, and not even 36-million Saudis – a majority of those not rich businessmen – can mirror that in commercial terms.

People will argue that with its young population, growing construction industry and monumental state coffers, Saudi Arabia can do anything it sets its sights on, but at the end of the day somebody has to pick up the tab for something as costly as the world’s tallest tower.

Indeed, the limited progress on sites such as Sports City, where a majority of the consultants were let go last year, shows that Saudi Arabia’s construction industry is not invincible at the end of the day.
Perhaps next week, next month, even next year, when plans are made public and work begins, I will have to eat my hat.

But for now, in a country that has KAUST, the KAFD, two iconic tall towers and eye-wateringly rich rulers, the proposed Kingdom Tower is one trophy project too many.

Orlando Crowcroft edits Architect Middle East.

Source: http://www.constructionweekonline.co...-getting-real/
june 2011
in june 2011 you all will say you were right !!!
Old January 11th, 2011, 03:15 PM   #1671
Kynareth

Likes (Received): 20

Let's hope, Hope is the only that's left.
Old January 11th, 2011, 03:52 PM   #1672
krkseg1ops

Likes (Received): 1153

Let's put this thread locked until June 2011 then
Old January 11th, 2011, 07:34 PM   #1673
no_gods

Likes (Received): 68

lol, in b4 "end of the year"
Old January 11th, 2011, 09:18 PM   #1674
fayzoon
Fayez

in june 2011 there will be a very big show about construction in Jeddah which called cityscape Jeddah,so everyone ask himself/herself. will they make the big show of this big project only a few months before?

of course not !!!
Old January 12th, 2011, 08:12 AM   #1675
bradthecdn
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4

Hello, few questions

I have this assignment on hand which requires to be built in c.
It is a kind of schedule that we have to keep and maintain for the whole year of our labs and training, and placement office.
According to my calculation it will have round about 35000 records.
Which data structure should I use?

NijmegenCity liked this post
bradthecdn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2011, 08:15 AM   #1676
bradthecdn
BANNED

Hi, few questions

Bit of history for you 1st - C was invented inside the 70s by Dennis Ritchie, by the 80s it had turn out to be really well-known and a book (known as the C programming language) was published by Ritchie and Kernighan which acted as an informal standard (known as K&R C.) Throughout the 80s ANSI were working towards a formal standard, which appeared in 1989 called C89. Some finetuning was done in 1990 and a new standard, C90 was published.

All good - until 1999, when another version of the standard was published, called C99. Why is this a problem? Well whilst compilers implement C90, none implement the whole of the C99 standard. You, may be thinking that C99 isn't all that important then - wrong, C99 allows us to do things such as declare variables throughout the code and use the C++ (//) style comment... but whilst many compilers do support these, none promise to support all aspects of the standard. I have often wondered why.

As an aside, there is some work towards a new standard, not sure if/when it will be released though - its informally called "C1x"

Old January 12th, 2011, 08:20 AM   #1677
bradthecdn
BANNED

Hi, few questions

Hello!
How to create a form with . pdf and . doc reader? like a library. . .
I want to open the . pdf and . doc files on the form.
I work on Visual Studio C++ (CLR).

Old January 12th, 2011, 08:24 AM   #1678
bradthecdn
BANNED

Hi, few questions

Hi

I'm trying to decide which book to get. I have chosed two, Absolute C++ by Walter Savich and C++ Primer. Anybody know if one is better than the other?

Any aid on this would be well appreciated. Thanks.

Danny20

Old January 14th, 2011, 05:51 PM   #1679
fayzoon
Fayez

Hey everyone, I discovered now that kingdom holdings company (the builder of kingdom tower) is the builder of
Makkah Clock Royal Tower Hotel which is u/c.

Source:http://www.tallestbuildingintheworld...ower+Hotel.php

And this tower will be completed at mid-2011.

Source:http://www.ausbt.com.au/hong-kong-to...hotel-in-march

And at mid-2011 the cityscape Jeddah showroom will be opened.

Source:http://www.cityscapejeddah.com/

So, we had a very big chance to change this thread to u/c in June 2011
Old January 14th, 2011, 06:21 PM   #1680
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

shhhh, that suppose to be keep in secret

Tags
hypertall, jeddah economic city, jeddah tower, kingdom tower, megatall, tallest