daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 25th, 2017, 07:13 AM   #16841
Dave-in-Toronto

Likes (Received): 682

Working properly now, as of 5 am ET on Thursday. And it looks like the core is having a concrete pour (or in the process of pouring the concrete, and will begin again when the workers go back to work in a few hours!)

Sponsored Links
Old May 25th, 2017, 07:58 AM   #16842
Orion602

Likes (Received): 21

Ramadan starting in 2 days i think, so works will probably stop for a while soon

noureddinedah liked this post
Orion602 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2017, 11:22 AM   #16843
Hamcl
JeddahTower Updates

Likes (Received): 1580

Old May 26th, 2017, 09:15 PM   #16844
Khotso

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamcl View Post
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170525/4b1017457f285bf6592588321d8ce8d7.jpg
He's probably wondering... how the heck i'm gonna pay all this?

michalh_dxb liked this post
Khotso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2017, 10:17 PM   #16845
Mohammed Al Shalan

Likes (Received): 361

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion602 View Post
Ramadan starting in 2 days i think, so works will probably stop for a while soon

I don't know about the works there, but we work in ramadan in the morning, also the contractors work in the morning, and some of them switch the working times to night, there is no stop in ramadan, maybe less productivity by a small margin from the regular days

Orion602, sgollis, Daniel2011 liked this post
Mohammed Al Shalan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2017, 05:06 PM   #16846
GulfArabia

Likes (Received): 1513

I am not a fan of the wavey rooftops.. very outdated

AP Design liked this post
GulfArabia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2017, 07:40 PM   #16847
AnOldBlackMarble
read lightship chronicles

Likes (Received): 5758

Yeah, why isn't it a park or something pedestrian. That's a lot of roof to be looking at from the tower. It ruins the view.
Old May 27th, 2017, 08:00 PM   #16848
Riyadh Crusher

Likes (Received): 2295

That is actually a rooftop garden, with pedestrian walkways all around it.
Old May 28th, 2017, 02:35 AM   #16849
GulfArabia

Likes (Received): 1513

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOldBlackMarble View Post
Yeah, why isn't it a park or something pedestrian. That's a lot of roof to be looking at from the tower. It ruins the view.
Outdoor stuff doesn't work in jeddah.. not even durring winter cause its so humid... its propably there for when there is a light show or fireworks.. it looks good with all the grass and trees.. i hope that part doesn't change
GulfArabia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2017, 04:39 AM   #16850
boss-ton

Likes (Received): 185

Lets hope they learn from Dubais mistakes and build quality over quantity. Dubai was in such a rush that they threw up some of the biggest (literally) duds in existence. Theyre finally finding their style now but its years too late, SZR is hideous to look at. Business Bay is getting the good architecture to divert your eyes away from the turd lined highway.
boss-ton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2017, 04:20 PM   #16851
Gabriel900
Super Mod

Likes (Received): 29041

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss-ton View Post
Lets hope they learn from Dubais mistakes and build quality over quantity. Dubai was in such a rush that they threw up some of the biggest (literally) duds in existence. Theyre finally finding their style now but its years too late, SZR is hideous to look at. Business Bay is getting the good architecture to divert your eyes away from the turd lined highway.
I really love how much Dubai triggers you Well I love every tower in the city and I really hope other older cities learn from its ambitions and infrastructure on how to achieve quality in these sectors ... there is a saying about glass house and throwing stones that really works here

BinSuroor liked this post
Gabriel900 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2017, 05:18 PM   #16852
AP Design
BANNED

Likes (Received): 498

Quote:
Originally Posted by GulfArabia View Post
I am not a fan of the wavey rooftops.. very outdated
Yes, extremely haphazard. They cannot be implemented just like that, breaking all the regulations and rational considerations.
AP Design no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2017, 06:05 PM   #16853
city of the future
city of the future

Likes (Received): 248

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel900 View Post
I really love how much Dubai triggers you Well I love every tower in the city and I really hope other older cities learn from its ambitions and infrastructure on how to achieve quality in these sectors ... there is a saying about glass house and throwing stones that really works here

I have to agree on his point on SZR, lots of uninspired kitsch towers with hideous massive parking towers in the rear, there are the few gems like Rolex, 21C, Chelsea but lots to be desired. Business bay and downtown have matured in designs, yes there are lots of balconies but classier architecture for sure
city of the future está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2017, 07:44 PM   #16854
jogiba

Likes (Received): 434

Hot weather coming.
https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4249/3...0755aafd_b.jpg
jogiba no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2017, 10:01 PM   #16855
AnOldBlackMarble
read lightship chronicles

Likes (Received): 5758

Quote:
Outdoor stuff doesn't work in jeddah.. not even durring winter cause its so humid... its propably there for when there is a light show or fireworks.. it looks good with all the grass and trees.. i hope that part doesn't change
Same is true with the southern half of the USA. From May to November it's over 100F from California to Georgia, and in the eastern half 100% humidity. Yet all those cities have massive outdoor parks and recreation areas, so I don't think weather will be an issue.
Old May 28th, 2017, 10:37 PM   #16856
Mohammed Al Shalan

Likes (Received): 361

Quote:

Outdoor works perfectly in Dubai, can you tell me why?
Old May 29th, 2017, 12:05 AM   #16857
boss-ton

Likes (Received): 185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel900 View Post
Lol so if observing that they were desperately trying to build very fast at all costs sacrificing quality and style counts as triggered, than so be it. I didn't say Dubai sucks, I said that when they were building SZR they hadn't found their style yet so it left a lot of clashing styles and an office park type of development with parking garages everywhere. I was praising how they finally found it and its coming to fruition in Business Bay. Dubai Marina and Business bay are coming out really nice. Sheikh Muhammad bin rashid boulevard is very nice and THE example to follow elsewhere in the city. SZR not so much, but its too late. I don't see what the problem is with saying this and many people feel this way, you probably even do if you step back for a second and think about it.

The point with regards to Saudi is that i hope they learned from Dubais early mistakes and use the progress Dubai made to apply it to their city now. Dubai is a great example at this point of how to build a city from scratch in the middle of a desert. They can learn a lot from them of what to do and what not to do.

The biggest thing for me that I hope they learn has nothing to do with architecture and everything to do with the street grid layout. If you have a blank canvas theres no reason you cant use all of the things learned over centuries of building cities to make your new city an amazing place. This is another area that Dubai dropped the ball and are trying to catch back up. Theres too many huge highways and boulevards that make it so even if you see where you need to go directly across the street sometimes you have to drive for 15 minutes just to be able to turn around and get over there. Old European cities have shown that every ____ blocks its good to have a square or small park. Then after a certain point you want to have a full size park. Rivers/channels also can create another mode of transit and bring higher property values as well as just making a more enjoyable experience for the people.

I hope Jeddah starts from scratch with a comprehensive transit masterplan, highways that are grade separated, and more small streets that are safe for pedestrians to cross. Also a legit street grid that is easy to follow for tourists pays dividends for them having an enjoyable experience. Im from Boston so I know first hand how a messy street layout is a nightmare for tourists.

Jeddah's Kingdom City masterplan appears that they are taking all of this into account and it could become a very successful city if done right. I don't really know about their plans for transit, but that is something I am going to look into.

Heres a picture of the masterplan. If it was me I would make this peninsula a grid like manhattan and let the parcels fill up organically over time. It looks like its going to be a pretty nice place to be. They're basically copying Dubai, but after Dubai figured it out.

Heres some misc. pictures of the new city.

Oatmeal, Focalor, Ch.W, swatded, Munwon and 4 others liked this post

Last edited by boss-ton; May 29th, 2017 at 01:13 AM.
boss-ton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2017, 03:47 PM   #16858
naki

Likes (Received): 1341

Old May 29th, 2017, 11:35 PM   #16859
Nahemah
scaredy-cat?

that is one dumb video
Nahemah no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2017, 11:50 PM   #16860
leogodoy

Likes (Received): 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahemah View Post
that is one dumb video
The quality of your feedback is very appropriate, then.
leogodoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
hypertall, jeddah economic city, jeddah tower, kingdom tower, megatall, tallest