daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 7th, 2017, 06:54 PM   #16901
Doomlord_uk

Likes (Received): 5

I think by the time this is finished and open for use, there will have been plenty of time to build civic infrastructure, buildings etc around it. I'm assuming this project is years away from being finished?

Haven't been on this site in ages now and last time I looked I don't think this had even got above ground level so it's pretty cool to see this some 60 floors(?) up now!

QalzimCity, Daniel2011, DeaconG liked this post
Doomlord_uk no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 8th, 2017, 08:29 PM   #16902
jogiba

Likes (Received): 436

2020 :
Old June 9th, 2017, 12:42 AM   #16903
QalzimCity

Likes (Received): 1065

even if it ever built in NY, this monster will look so lonely... that pic made me realise there that most NY buildings are actually midgets in comparison to the Jeddah tower. ---No chance at all for anything that below 300m

Daniel2011 liked this post
QalzimCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2017, 02:46 AM   #16904
Checoblett

Likes (Received): 428

June Update

Old June 10th, 2017, 10:08 PM   #16905
RKOwestjeff

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by QalzimCity View Post
even if it ever built in NY, this monster will look so lonely... that pic made me realise there that most NY buildings are actually midgets in comparison to the Jeddah tower. ---No chance at all for anything that below 300m

Yes but the Jeddah Tower is still only 1 skyscraper whereas New York City has 10,000 skyscrapers already. The new World Trade Center is 4 skyscrapers. Also, the Jeddah Tower has only risen 40 floors in the last 4 years and the building is planned to be 167 floors. If construction continues at the same pace, it will take another 12 years (2029) just until the concrete reaches the top, then a few years for the glass windows and everything else to be completed.

Daniel2011 liked this post
RKOwestjeff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2017, 01:23 AM   #16906
Ultros
Evil Octopussy

Likes (Received): 321

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKOwestjeff View Post
Yes but the Jeddah Tower is still only 1 skyscraper whereas New York City has 10,000 skyscrapers already. The new World Trade Center is 4 skyscrapers. Also, the Jeddah Tower has only risen 40 floors in the last 4 years and the building is planned to be 167 floors. If construction continues at the same pace, it will take another 12 years (2029) just until the concrete reaches the top, then a few years for the glass windows and everything else to be completed.
Was there really a need to create a new account to express your envy?

fayzoon, m6b7n, tokyo-hypa, QalzimCity, jogiba and 2 others liked this post
Ultros no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2017, 05:00 AM   #16907
SkYsCrApEr2013
The AlphaWolf of the Pack

Likes (Received): 2083

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultros View Post
Was there really a need to create a new account to express your envy?
Well seems like he joined 2 months before that comment was made. Guess he was just waiting for the moment to post lol.

Burj Khalifa, Shanghai Tower, Makkah Royal Clock Tower Hotel, Ping An Finance Center,
Goldin Finance 117, One World Trade Center, Chow Tai Fook Centre, Taipei 101, Shanghai World Financial Center and International Commerce Center.

R.I.P. Sawtooth Pack. You will be deeply missed.

I'm a really huge wolf lover! :D

I'M BACK!!!!

QalzimCity, Daniel2011 liked this post
SkYsCrApEr2013 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2017, 07:34 PM   #16908
Khotso

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
So they would finish this somewhere early / mid 2030's. I think that's more realistic than Alwaweeds most recent promise, that it will be finished was it 2019.

QalzimCity, Daniel2011 liked this post

Last edited by Khotso; June 11th, 2017 at 07:43 PM.
Khotso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2017, 08:55 PM   #16909
goodybear

Likes (Received): 692

Quote:
Actually NYC "only" has 262 skyscrapers above 150 meters in height, not 10,000. The previous renderings show why I think that it is good the world's tallest building is not built in U.S. cities anymore, since they would just stand out too much and would ruin the balance of the skyline. It is unlikely any city in the world in the near future (10 years) will have a cluster of buildings in the 700 meter+ range because it is impractical to build any taller, so I think it is great that this tower is built in an area where one can focus on it and it won't overshadow any other great buildings near it(as it would in for example NYC).

Quote:
Originally Posted by germantower View Post
I donīt wanna rule out such a tower in NYC ever. It sure would stand out, but so did even the RCA building in the Rockefeller Center upon itīs completion in 1933, so did the ESB and the Chrysler. Towers up to 630m could be done in Manhattan in the next supertall cycle without sticking out too much, IMO. IF there is the chance for a tower of the height of this tower, which might be very hard in the US because of the huge regulations over there, then I think Queens or so would be ideal locations, or Red Hook. Where there are basically only lowrise neighborhoods and both established skylines, Lower Manhattan and Brooklyn are in a good distance.

Is there any indication, that beside the contractor issues that we know of, other reasons might be the cause why this is rising so slow?
Edit:Yes, I agree that NYC should definitely have some buildings in the 600m+ range, but remember Jeddah Tower is 400 meters taller than that, it is like stacking the Twin Towers on top of each other with over 200 meters left to spare. And I really don't think a kilometer tall tower would look good in Brooklyn or Queens, unless there were a few 600m beasts around it. Flatbush tower is a step in the right direction, but that is also in the Art Deco style. Give me a 600 meter Art Deco tower and I'll think about it

Rago liked this post

Last edited by goodybear; June 12th, 2017 at 08:52 AM.
goodybear no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2017, 10:10 PM   #16910
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 1155

I donīt wanna rule out such a tower in NYC ever. It sure would stand out, but so did even the RCA building in the Rockefeller Center upon itīs completion in 1933, so did the ESB and the Chrysler. Towers up to 630m could be done in Manhattan in the next supertall cycle without sticking out too much, IMO. IF there is the chance for a tower of the height of this tower, which might be very hard in the US because of the huge regulations over there, then I think Queens or so would be ideal locations, or Red Hook. Where there are basically only lowrise neighborhoods and both established skylines, Lower Manhattan and Brooklyn are in a good distance.

Is there any indication, that beside the contractor issues that we know of, other reasons might be the cause why this is rising so slow?
Old June 11th, 2017, 10:31 PM   #16911
SMCYB

Likes (Received): 1637

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodybear View Post
Actually NYC "only" has 262 skyscrapers above 150 meters in height, not 10,000. The previous renderings show why I think that it is good the world's tallest building is not built in U.S. cities anymore, since they would just stand out too much and would ruin the balance of the skyline. It is unlikely any city in the world in the near future will have a cluster of buildings in the 700 meter+ range because it is impractical to build any taller, so I think it is great that this tower is built in an area where one can focus on it and it won't overshadow any other great buildings near it(as it would in for example NYC).
That's a good point that a tall building doesn't have to be in Manhattan. There are skyscraper clusters in Brooklyn, Queens, Jersey City, Newark, and up-and-coming in Fort Lee. Long Island City currently has two but in 10 years they could merge into one big cluster.
SMCYB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2017, 01:31 AM   #16912
jogiba

Likes (Received): 436

Hong Kong tops NYC with 3266 skyscrapers above 90m vs only 938 for NYC.

118th floor Ritz-Carlton Hotel Hong Kong swimming pool at 1,600 ft is much higher than the roof of One World Trade Center

http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/31/travel...ols/index.html

Daniel2011, Rago liked this post

Last edited by jogiba; June 12th, 2017 at 01:38 AM.
jogiba no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2017, 02:54 AM   #16913
Daireon
The lunatic is in my head

Likes (Received): 5553

Quote:
Originally Posted by jogiba View Post
2020 :
This actually doesn't look so bad

FrogT, Daniel2011 liked this post
Daireon está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2017, 10:23 AM   #16914
robert4u

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Well the base take time, they will create the upper floors more fast.
robert4u no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2017, 04:23 PM   #16915
noms78

Likes (Received): 246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daireon View Post
This actually doesn't look so bad
It would look ridiculous if you could imagine the rest of the skyline with it
noms78 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2017, 05:42 PM   #16916
DubaiM

Likes (Received): 4512

Even the Burj Khalifa looks kind of ridiculous in NYC's skyline and the Jeddah Tower would stand out even more

Old June 12th, 2017, 06:01 PM   #16917
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 1155

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert4u View Post
Well the base take time, they will create the upper floors more fast.
The base? The base is surpassed already, this is at about 240m already. Itīs just painfully slow.
Old June 12th, 2017, 08:54 PM   #16918
Gyurma13

Likes (Received): 8722

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiM View Post
Even the Burj Khalifa looks kind of ridiculous in NYC's skyline and the Jeddah Tower would stand out even more

And now?

Ultra84, swatded, Shenkey, themapguy, Osval and 5 others liked this post
Gyurma13 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2017, 08:54 PM   #16919
Bananenbobby

Likes (Received): 2

Great project, very impressive. Go Saudies!

fayzoon liked this post
Bananenbobby no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2017, 10:16 PM   #16920
loreNice

Likes (Received): 0

I love this megatall, +1km it's a unique building! I hope to see more photos of this skyscraper.
loreNice no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
hypertall, jeddah economic city, jeddah tower, kingdom tower, megatall, tallest