daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 21st, 2017, 04:02 PM   #16961
Redzio
To ja!

Likes (Received): 6941

You know, one picture should be enought for us to see the similarity.
Redzio está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 22nd, 2017, 05:08 AM   #16962
towerpower123
Let's Revive our Cities

Likes (Received): 4190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Tan View Post
i don't agree that megatalls were not economically for western countries. my question is, did Empire State Building in NYC as a megabuilding and tallest in the world at that time, since 1930 until 1970 not economically and not make money ?

about impressivenes and about cost, did western country lost it's adavantage and breakthrough to reduce cost and find advantage engineering to create an economicallly megatall nowday ? why western suddenly surender in this issue ? because too late and feel hesitate ? i guess, yes

and don't forget, if no cities in the world build megatall, than nowday Pyramid was Empire State Building, and yes, Empire State Building, Chrysler Building, Sears Tower bring much profit
From the Early 1930's to the 1970's, the only country building anything of any significant height was the United States. The 1930's were defined by the Great Depression, the early 1940's were defined by World War II and the resulting shortages of steel, and 1945 to the 1970's and further were defined by massive suburban sprawl and abandoning the cities. By the mid-1970's, New York City was almost bankrupt, Chicago was not in much better shape, and every company still wanted that sprawling office park with plenty of parking overlooking manicured lawns and gardens instead of gritty, crime-ridden cities.

It is only in the last 20 years that people have finally returned to the cities and they are honestly thinking about building tall, however cities in the USA have too much vacant or underused land to make it economical for a really tall tower. Manhattan is the rare exception, but hesitance to surpass One World Trade Center, resistance from the Federal Aviation Administration, and general NIMBYism (SHADOWS!!!!) have deterred almost all of the tallest buildings. Cities in Europe are plagued by severe NIMBYism (Moscow with its stubbornly weak economy is the only exception) so only China and the Middle East are really thinking about building more than 1500 feet high, and many are showpieces of the country's or a nationalized company's strength.

As long as the economy does not have a significant downturn anytime soon, really tall towers are possible in New York City, Chicago, and possibly Los Angeles, Philadelphia, Jersey City, San Francisco, and Atlanta in the next 10 years. New York City and Chicago flirted with 2000-footers immediately prior to the Great Recession and the others all had 1300-1500 foot proposals over the last 10 years or so.

186 Newark, NJ Development projects MAPPED
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1874870
http://urbanismvsmodernism.blogspot....l?view=sidebar

See my DeviantArt account at http://towerpower123.deviantart.com/
towerpower123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2017, 05:22 AM   #16963
Hamcl
JeddahTower Updates

Likes (Received): 1590

JEDDAH | Jeddah Tower | 1000m+ | 3281ft+ | 167 fl | U/C

fayzoon, goodybear, Oatmeal, velbujd, jogiba and 9 others liked this post

Last edited by Hamcl; June 22nd, 2017 at 05:28 AM.
Hamcl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2017, 07:34 AM   #16964
fayzoon
Fayez

Likes (Received): 2250

Good news

Cam 2 is also cleaned

goodybear, Oatmeal, osamah, Ch.W, jogiba and 15 others liked this post
fayzoon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2017, 03:02 AM   #16965
brandpb

Likes (Received): 391

wooow!

SLASH_2 liked this post
brandpb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2017, 04:06 AM   #16966
Dockside

Likes (Received): 142

Just to add to Towerpower's post.
The economic figures building megatall towers in the west just don't match up anymore.
Unions have made it next to impossible to make such projects even remotely economical. Here in Melbourne to build a A grade office building of approx 200m costs around 1 billion au dollars
What a billion dollars gets you in the Middle East or Asia is way much more bang for your buck
We can't bring in skilled 3rd World labourers to build our cities, then add all the red tape with all the regulations and levels of government to just get a standard skyscraper proposal rubber stamped , in that time you can get a handfull of megatall towers up and sorted in the Middle East or China,
Dockside no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2017, 09:21 AM   #16967
_mark

Likes (Received): 521

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Just to add to Towerpower's post.
The economic figures building megatall towers in the west just don't match up anymore.
Unions have made it next to impossible to make such projects even remotely economical. Here in Melbourne to build a A grade office building of approx 200m costs around 1 billion au dollars
What a billion dollars gets you in the Middle East or Asia is way much more bang for your buck
We can't bring in skilled 3rd World labourers to build our cities, then add all the red tape with all the regulations and levels of government to just get a standard skyscraper proposal rubber stamped , in that time you can get a handfull of megatall towers up and sorted in the Middle East or China,

I am also from Melbourne and am currently know of few developments of 200m + and can assure you they are not $1b. Yes Melbourne in particular is more expensive due to Unions and wage levels but not that much.

For example, Empire Melb 200m $160m, VIC One 250m $230m, Aurora 290m $400m, 477 Collins $350m
_mark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2017, 11:58 AM   #16968
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10347

hi guys from down under, ive got 61,000 posts number 15 on forum. lolz been here for 15 lonooong years

what height is tower atm? i was going to update my 3d sketchup

Munwon, Orion602 liked this post
CULWULLA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2017, 08:58 PM   #16969
Dockside

Likes (Received): 142

Just to be clear I said A grade office not apartments.
The Walkers Collins Square complex, 4 buildings with the tallest at approx 140m 1.3billion dollars
Dockside no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2017, 09:42 PM   #16970
LuisRomero5656

Likes (Received): 29

Esta enorme, muy bien por ese edificio!
LuisRomero5656 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2017, 09:45 PM   #16971
LuisRomero5656

Likes (Received): 29

}http://www.skyscrapercity.com/images...milies/lol.gif
LuisRomero5656 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2017, 11:56 PM   #16972
AnOldBlackMarble
read lightship chronicles

Likes (Received): 5865

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redzio View Post
You know, one picture should be enought for us to see the similarity.
Even with all those pictures I still don't see the similarity

Gabriel900 liked this post
AnOldBlackMarble no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2017, 12:27 AM   #16973
Cliff
Tan

Likes (Received): 196

Its already so tall as it is!
Cliff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2017, 01:59 AM   #16974
naki

Likes (Received): 1430

Old June 24th, 2017, 05:21 AM   #16975
redbaron_012

Likes (Received): 3107

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballom View Post
no 13 : This thing is supposed be taipei 101?

And this graph is wrong.
Compared to shangai tower BK look like 700m
ping an finance is around 500M high? what?
tokyo sky tree should go on a diet
you put shangai tower observatory deck at the same height than makkah clock tower..? whiel being 600m high.
Makes me lament that an approved 680m.Melbourne building was scrapped at the final moment was to have a roof top observation deck! That was back in late '90's or completion early 2000's ? Yeah, fantasies are not what is real...but the Grollo Tower was to be real : (
So it would have still been the highest deck in the world for near two decades!
I'll never get over it !
Old June 24th, 2017, 07:38 AM   #16976
_mark

Likes (Received): 521

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron_012 View Post
Makes me lament that an approved 680m.Melbourne building was scrapped at the final moment was to have a roof top observation deck! That was back in late '90's or completion early 2000's ? Yeah, fantasies are not what is real...but the Grollo Tower was to be real : (

So it would have still been the highest deck in the world for near two decades!

I'll never get over it !

It was never going to happen. Aviation laws, construction costs and it was proposed as an office which would never had been accepted by companies in melbourne
_mark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2017, 10:14 AM   #16977
goodybear

Likes (Received): 792

To be fair, the original design for the Burj Khalifa was to be a replica of the Grollo Tower, so it came close to being built twice. However, I still prefer designs such as the one of Jeddah Tower over designs of the Grollo Tower, it just looks better IMO (and it is actually being built).
~3-5m, 1fl
goodybear está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2017, 02:17 PM   #16978
redbaron_012

Likes (Received): 3107

Quote:
Originally Posted by _mark View Post
It was never going to happen. Aviation laws, construction costs and it was proposed as an office which would never had been accepted by companies in melbourne
Final say on this as off topic..But Grollo Tower was to be mixed use Hotel, Apartment and Office Tower. Possibly floorspace of this proposal is now built in Docklands in various multiple buildings...The Aviation issue was never mentioned during the entire decade this proposal moved through planning and approval...guess they asked Airlines to keep away ?? Hope planes don't fly over Jeddah...Rules are rules and back to Jeddah Tower.
This will be an impressive Tower. Grollo was a simple obelisk...that design has stood the test of time for centuries...
Old June 24th, 2017, 07:39 PM   #16979
NK2
Downtown Disciple

Likes (Received): 945

The Illinois (tower) / 1,600 m / 528 stories / Proposed in 1957 by Frank Lloyd Wright.

Its amazing that a tower similar to Jeddah Tower was proposed 60 years ago. What a visionary architect Frank Lloyd Wright must have been. That means the Jeddah tower is basically inspired by The Illinois (Tower).

The Illinois (Tower)

The Illinois is a visionary skyscraper that is over 1 mile (1,600 m) high, conceived and described by noted American architect Frank Lloyd Wright in his 1957 book, A Testament. The design, intended to be built in Chicago, included 528 stories, with a gross area of 18,460,000 square feet (1,715,000 m2). Wright stated that there would have been parking for 15,000 cars and 150 helicopters.
If built, it would top the list of the tallest building in the world by far, being more than four times the height of the Empire State Building, and twice as tall as the world's current tallest building, the Burj Khalifa, the design of which is said to have been inspired by that of The Illinois.

Source : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Illinois
Old June 24th, 2017, 07:51 PM   #16980
Cliff
Tan

Likes (Received): 196

The Illinois has 500+ floors, come to think of it, why does Kingdom tower have so few floors? I know its shorter, but its still more than half the height, there should at least be 200+!
Cliff no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
hypertall, jeddah economic city, jeddah tower, kingdom tower, megatall, tallest