daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 15th, 2017, 02:37 AM   #17561
naki

Likes (Received): 1341

wing pouring

Qweoiu, Lisimah, SiriusCane liked this post
naki no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 15th, 2017, 05:26 AM   #17562
wespje1990

Likes (Received): 806

not accurate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvarody View Post

Eroha, Damo, RasyidOchmann, leonvandersar liked this post
wespje1990 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2017, 08:11 AM   #17563
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6530

Because the pic below is pretty old it seems.
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2017, 03:03 PM   #17564
naki

Somebody say 63F Somebody say 64F.And now.....Which one is ture?

SiriusCane liked this post
Old November 15th, 2017, 08:21 PM   #17565
luife100
Celayence

Likes (Received): 1741

Quote:
Originally Posted by droneriot View Post
Yes, some people never heard of "correlation does not imply causation." That theory cherry-picks there examples where the correlation exists, and neatly ignores all the other examples where it doesn't. Lots of great, ambitious projects have been built during times of enduring prosperity.
I think there is correlation indeed.

Big ambitious projects are conceived all the time, but it's just in a rising economy where they can become real. The more optimistic is the market the more ambitious are the projects aprobbed. Unfourtunately, every time the economy is going too good to be true, eventually a bubble is generated an then collapse.

And it is obvious that the best projects in the cicle that actually become real are executed just before the collapse. For example, in the last cycle, had the bubble collapsed three-four years after Burj Khalifa, we would probably have Nakheel tower today as a marker of when the economy crashed.
luife100 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2017, 09:10 PM   #17566
Swagy
Swagy

Likes (Received): 114

Construction is continuing
Old November 15th, 2017, 09:24 PM   #17567
Swagy
Swagy

Likes (Received): 114

luife100, Lisimah, vincent1746, Dreamer's liked this post
Swagy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2017, 10:06 PM   #17568
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2625

Quote:
Originally Posted by luife100 View Post
For example, in the last cycle, had the bubble collapsed three-four years after Burj Khalifa, we would probably have Nakheel tower today as a marker of when the economy crashed.
This last quote really demonstrates just how baseless and cherry-picked the concept is. For the correlation to be there, the observer simply picks any latest tall building as the one that marked the end, without any attribute to it other than it being the last. When in Shanghai, three respectively record-breaking China's tallest were built in a row and none correlated with a collapse of the economy, following your train of thought one can simply claim they each weren't grand or outrageous or whatever enough to be the usher of economic collapse. It's really just any random building picked for the theory and attached to the theory with no scientific falsifiability whatsoever.
droneriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2017, 10:21 PM   #17569
luife100
Celayence

Likes (Received): 1741

Quote:
Originally Posted by droneriot View Post
This last quote really demonstrates just how baseless and cherry-picked the concept is. For the correlation to be there, the observer simply picks any latest tall building as the one that marked the end, without any attribute to it other than it being the last. When in Shanghai, three respectively record-breaking China's tallest were built in a row and none correlated with a collapse of the economy, following your train of thought one can simply claim they each weren't grand or outrageous or whatever enough to be the usher of economic collapse. It's really just any random building picked for the theory and attached to the theory with no scientific falsifiability whatsoever.
I think you don't get my point. I'm not saying that big buildings are causing the economy to collapse. I'm saying that it's the collapse what makes the last building to be impossible to overcome in the short term, at least until the next cycle begins.

I mean, they are related in the opposite way. Of course the "Cursed buildings theory" is too stupid to be taken seriously.

Tedshed, AnOldBlackMarble liked this post

Last edited by luife100; November 15th, 2017 at 10:28 PM.
luife100 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2017, 12:19 AM   #17570
fayzoon
Fayez

Likes (Received): 2044

I visited the site yesterday in Jeddah and the work was impressive there

I know there is no need to say it but, I have to "It really looks so huge when you visit it"

I saw a lot of workers in the field and the cranes were moving and being used

I will upload the pictures that I took there soon. this is one of them

Old November 16th, 2017, 02:14 AM   #17571
jogiba

Likes (Received): 436

cropped image :
Old November 16th, 2017, 05:30 AM   #17572
naki

2017.11.16 4:00AM
Old November 16th, 2017, 10:38 AM   #17573
naki

2017.11.16 9:45AM
Old November 16th, 2017, 01:57 PM   #17574
garcia.calavera

Likes (Received): 731

I just recently learned of this project , initially I thought it was a joke but than i see this thread and it's really happening. Question is why?? Why would you build a 1000 m tall building in the desert in one of the most restrictive and conservative countries in the world? I know they have money to spend and they are literally wasting it , but is it gonna be occupied with? I doubt its such a big demand for office space in that city , tourism is a joke , so why build it??
garcia.calavera no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2017, 02:07 PM   #17575
Riyadh Crusher

Likes (Received): 2295

Quote:
Originally Posted by garcia.calavera View Post
I just recently learned of this project , initially I thought it was a joke but than i see this thread and it's really happening. Question is why?? Why would you build a 1000 m tall building in the desert in one of the most restrictive and conservative countries in the world? I know they have money to spend and they are literally wasting it , but is it gonna be occupied with? I doubt its such a big demand for office space in that city , tourism is a joke , so why build it??
Because they want it to be built. If it concerns you in any possible way, you are free to shut your eyes.
Old November 16th, 2017, 02:09 PM   #17576
garcia.calavera

Likes (Received): 731

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riyadh Crusher View Post
Because they want it to be built. If it concerns you in any possible way, you are free to shut your eyes.
You just confirmed everything I just said , thanks. Carry on with the building and all that
garcia.calavera no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2017, 02:42 PM   #17577
fayzoon
Fayez

Quote:
Old November 16th, 2017, 04:01 PM   #17578
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2625

Quote:
Originally Posted by luife100 View Post
I think you don't get my point. I'm not saying that big buildings are causing the economy to collapse. I'm saying that it's the collapse what makes the last building to be impossible to overcome in the short term, at least until the next cycle begins.

I mean, they are related in the opposite way. Of course the "Cursed buildings theory" is too stupid to be taken seriously.
Seen that way, the theory only works as the exact inversion of how it was originally proposed: That there are no giant buildings directly after an economic crash.

...which is like a truly stunning revelation.
droneriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2017, 06:29 PM   #17579
AnOldBlackMarble
read lightship chronicles

Likes (Received): 5760

Quote:
Arabia does get a lot of tourists, Muslims. In fact all Muslims are required to make at least one trip in their life time to Mecca, and there are 2billion of them. Jeddah is also where the airport is and where they will arrive. So in essence this project is like a "gateway" to welcome millions of Muslim tourists into the country and the "gateway" for them to head north to Mecca. Their plan might be to make Jeddah more "touristy" since Mecca is all about religion. Kind of like when people visit the Vatican, they spend most of their time, and money, in Rome. At least this is my impression for the plans for Jeddah, but for some reason the Arab posters on here are not being honest and instead choose to be condescending for no good reason what so ever.
Old November 17th, 2017, 01:43 AM   #17580
fayzoon
Fayez

Wednesday 15 / 11 / 2017

Qweoiu, Swiddle, SiriusCane, Da18be, Orion602 and 2 others liked this post
fayzoon no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
hypertall, jeddah economic city, jeddah tower, kingdom tower, megatall, tallest