daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 17th, 2011, 04:47 AM   #1741
fayzoon
Fayez

Likes (Received): 2250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablobegood View Post
Agreed +1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000
hey, don't be a real kid ,grow up

NijmegenCity liked this post
fayzoon no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 17th, 2011, 04:48 AM   #1742
Supaplex

Likes (Received): 3330

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcruze057 View Post
1.6km tall? that is really tall

Jessus Christe, Its epic winnnnn!!!!!!

Supaplex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2011, 05:06 AM   #1743
Ervin2

Likes (Received): 6

The 1600m one looks really ugly

Ervin2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2011, 08:14 AM   #1744
Mesch
أنا عايزة اعيش

Likes (Received): 885

it's not the final design. actually, it's hardly a render.
Old February 18th, 2011, 10:12 AM   #1745
Genzyme

Likes (Received): 6

pushing the limit of construction technology? how can the base support so much weight?

Genzyme no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2011, 03:01 PM   #1746
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8365

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genzyme View Post
pushing the limit of construction technology? how can the base support so much weight?
that's why after soil testing it went quiet over construction i guess
Old February 18th, 2011, 03:16 PM   #1747
DinoVabec
Worldwide

Likes (Received): 752

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genzyme View Post
It's not only the base..There's core which goes through the base in the ground..That's like the "spine" of building..

DinoVabec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2011, 08:45 PM   #1748
charles54
ARCHITECT

Likes (Received): 39

wheres it being built? any sign of construction?

charles54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2011, 09:00 PM   #1749
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles54 View Post
wheres it being built? any sign of construction?
http://maps.google.com/

search for: 21.723596,39.091022

there it is supposed to be i think
Old April 8th, 2011, 09:21 PM   #1750
DinoVabec
Worldwide

Likes (Received): 752

Denial by Architecture: Mile-High Tower OK’d in Saudi Arabia
April 6, 2011

Government opens fire on civilians in Yemen. 12 killed in protests over Quran burning in Afghanistan. At least 173 dead in Syria in clashes against the government. While the Middle East is, almost categorically, being wracked by unrest and protests, the most powerful counter-revolutionary power is proceeding like it’s still 2003.

A tower twice the hight of the Burj Khalifa has been given the green light in Jeddah. UPDATE: Reps from Adrian Smith + Gordon Gill Architecture categorically deny the design featured above. Futhermore, “AS+GG is NOT involved in the design of a ‘mile-high’ building.” The plot thickens!

Here are the rumors: “Kingdom Tower” will be one mile high. It will contain almost 12 million cubic feet of space. It will be part of a larger urban development built to house about 80,000 people, at a cost of almost 30 billion dollars. Using your average elevator, it would take 12 minutes to reach the zenith.

The Saudis have tapped Emaar, the developer who controls most of the UAE’s construction industry, to handle the project. They’ve also selected an alumni of the Burj Khalifa project, ex-SOM staffer Adrien Smith (of Adrien Smith + Gordon Gill Architecture), to design the tower. UPDATE: “Please note that Kingdom Tower has NOT been announced, and all press accounts of Adrian Smith + Gordon Gill Architecture’s involvement with the project are based on anonymous, unofficial sources. We do not confirm any of the reports.”

Is this one of those sad, cinematic moments in which someone who’s undergone a trauma tries to cling onto the remainder of what they once had in an attempt to fend off reality?

http://www.architizer.com

DinoVabec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2011, 11:05 PM   #1751
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

finally some news. it's nice to hear this project still has a go and i wonder what will be the final design although i'm afraid it ends up smaller or will still need years of preparation and things

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2011, 02:41 AM   #1752
boschb
boschb

Likes (Received): 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerZavatar View Post

finally some news. it's nice to hear this project still has a go and i wonder what will be the final design although i'm afraid it ends up smaller or will still need years of preparation and things
i hope you realize that this is old news
boschb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2011, 04:39 AM   #1753
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Likes (Received): 350

Hi all.

Sigh ...
I was hoping for some concrete news ...

Nothing new here:
- The renders we have seen of both the mile high (ancient news) and the 1+ km. are denied by As and GG.
- The project has not been anounced and As and GG involvement is only rumour.

Thanks anyway, for posting Dino.

Ray.
Old April 9th, 2011, 01:00 PM   #1754
helghast

Likes (Received): 147

maybe this ?

Link: http://www.zawya.com/projects/projec...60208080028?cc
* Q2 2011 - Work expected to resume
Old April 9th, 2011, 04:00 PM   #1755
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Quote:
Originally Posted by helghast View Post
maybe this ?

Link: http://www.zawya.com/projects/projec...60208080028?cc
* Q2 2011 - Work expected to resume
damn i hope so

Old April 10th, 2011, 05:26 AM   #1756
Lawcheehung
Toronto, I Love You

Likes (Received): 3

Just heard news SA has given it the OK?

Khalifa couldn't hold the record for long :P
Lawcheehung no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2011, 08:29 AM   #1757
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Likes (Received): 350

Hi all.

More news.

Jeddah’s Kingdom Tower, World’s Tallest Building Given the Go Ahead
Published: Thursday, April 7, 2011 with 1 Comments

By Louie Helm www.singularityhub.com

Bigger is better. At least, that’s what they’re saying about their skyscrapers in the Middle East these days. And for the new Kingdom Tower going up in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, they appear to be right.

The View from atop Kingdom Tower might just outweigh any troubles they might come across during construction.
Once completed, this tower will be the tallest man-made structure ever created — a staggering 1 mile high (1,600 meters) and covering a massive 3.5 million square meters. This is double the height of the current tallest man-made structure, the Burj Khalifa in Dubai.

A building like this even being seriously considered is an excellent sign of things to come for future technology. Specifically, the advances needed to create this kind of structure are cutting edge enough to require advances in design, materials, and new construction techniques that could revolutionize several aspects of modern architecture and design. But as I discuss later, there remain several potential stumbling blocks to it’s construction and operation as well.

Currently, many people in the know are skeptical of the plan. Several have dismissed it as “unrealistic”, “impractical”, or simply “unnecessarily tall”.

The official building plans call for the tower to cover a massive 3.5 million square meters, approximately 20 kilometers north of Jeddah city centre. A city will be constructed around the tower sprawling over an additional 23 million square meters as well. The $26.6 billion project will be able to accommodate 80,000 people and have hospitality facilities catering as many as 1 million visitors too.

Of course, problems are destined to arise and can already be foreseen. Being the tallest building in the world is never easy. The next tallest, the Burj Khalifa, while only half the size, has experienced multiple construction delays due to electricity issues and elevators problems.

Even if the elevator system runs smoothly, getting people from the bottom, up top, and back down again in an efficient manner will be an epic feat. A mile is an unfathomable distance to ride in an elevator. Just imagine if you had to wait for it as it stopped on every floor on it’s way down to pick you up? Or if the elevator got packed before you could get in. With the average elevator traveling at 150 meters per minute it would take around 12 minutes to get from bottom to top. High speed elevators seem to be the way to go as they can travel 500 meters in just one minute.

This sort of elevator apparently is just as comfortable to ride in as the normal elevators despite the high speeds. This is fast enough to be able to go from bottom to top in roughly 5 minutes. These elevators are already being used in the Taipei Financial Center and the Burj Khalifa.

Also, despite what a marvel of technology the tower is, what sort of effect will it have on its surrounding area? The desert location will need all construction materials and disposable resources shipped in and the resulting transportation costs will waste more resources and cause more environmental damage than if this project had been constructed in a larger, more established urban center. It’s an extravagant creation and one can only hope the tradeoffs are worth it for the future residents and surrounding areas.

Many have had their doubts about the project and there will be many obstacles, but the builders are still optimistic. Although, this optimism was all before the recent turmoil in the Middle East. Whether or not that will have an effect on the tower’s construction remains to be seen. The ongoing state of the Saudi Arabian government’s control is probably the biggest question mark hanging over the project right now.

So even though some may see the construction of these super-high towers as only a glorified race to the top by some of the world’s richest men, I think you still have to admire the gusto of the project. They aren’t trying to eke out a new world record by building their new tower a tiny bit taller than the last. Instead, they’re straight doubling the current record.

Also, remember that the Burj Khalifa was completed less than 18 months ago. Hmm… building sizes doubling every 18 months? Doesn’t that sound like exponential growth to any of you? No no no… just kidding! Though encouraging in it’s own right, it’s certainly not a trend we should extrapolate into the future. Construction is not an information technology (yet!). Materials and design advances over the past decade have allowed us to imagine grand projects like this, which seemed almost unimaginable only a few short years ago. Still it may be several years until Jeddah Tower is fully constructed, if ever.. But with the project supposedly still given the go ahead, we definitely have some exciting developments in “exponentially increasing” building size to look forward to.

http://http://burj-khalifa.eu/constr...n-the-go-ahead

While I think the 'mile high' is a remnant from an earlier version of this proposal, some news is encouraging. The more recent km. + proposal would be great to see moving forward. Don't get me wrong, a mile high project would be better, I just think something around a km. is what's happening.
Hope I'm wrong ...

Ray.
Old April 10th, 2011, 10:58 AM   #1758
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fury View Post
While I think the 'mile high' is a remnant from an earlier version of this proposal, some news is encouraging. The more recent km. + proposal would be great to see moving forward. Don't get me wrong, a mile high project would be better, I just think something around a km. is what's happening.
Hope I'm wrong ...

Ray.
Wich just prooves these "news" are not news at all. There is no new information in this article. Just some facts we knew for long time allready. I don't think we can treat it as any sign of project going forward. Wird thing is just that the "KT have a Go" like articles just started to poping up lately. This may be due to the fact that internet magazines always like to rewrite (very often fake) news.

Lets hope we will hear something concrete soon. It is said it should be resumed in Q2 so we should hear something soon.

patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2011, 12:44 PM   #1759
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

I also think one-mile is unlikely, maybe the tower may not even reach 1000m which would still make it the tallest structure ever. And whatever size it will be i just hope it will happen and not end being an all time on hold

Old April 10th, 2011, 01:41 PM   #1760
krkseg1ops

Likes (Received): 1187

I hope you are right in that any tower is being started soon!

krkseg1ops no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
hypertall, jeddah economic city, jeddah tower, kingdom tower, megatall, tallest