daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 3rd, 2018, 01:01 AM   #17761
jogiba

Likes (Received): 524

Size and exposure adjustment .

fayzoon, Be4Guate, alley cat, Mefu, Lisimah and 11 others liked this post
jogiba no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 3rd, 2018, 03:53 AM   #17762
Checoblett

Likes (Received): 446

January Update

Old January 3rd, 2018, 10:16 AM   #17763
Jillestalin

Likes (Received): 345

At a pace of one floor per month it won't finished before 2020

KillerZavatar liked this post
Jillestalin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2018, 01:10 PM   #17764
oud-Rotterdammer
Marc from Rotterdam

Likes (Received): 672

13 floors in 1 year.
Probably the slowest project in the world...

Quicksilver, Daniel2011 liked this post
oud-Rotterdammer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2018, 01:39 PM   #17765
fayzoon
Fayez

Likes (Received): 2200

Quote:
Originally Posted by oud-Rotterdammer View Post
13 floors in 1 year.
Probably the slowest project in the world...
Which raises a question that nobody knows the answer to: WHY?!

oud-Rotterdammer liked this post
fayzoon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2018, 01:49 PM   #17766
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 1266

I still have the feeling that in the background a lot of info is hidden from the public and maybe things are going totally differntly as planned, so they see no reason to speed the project up, since a quickly finished Jeddah tower makes more or less no sense at this point.

Prince Alwaleed is still held at the Ritz, i have read of reports of torture at the hotel ( not sure if he was tortured) and authorities asking him to pay up to 6 billion dollars to go out on bail. I donīt think that this doesnīt affact this project right now. That doesnīt explain the slow progress over the last year or so. Both KSa and the UAE have introduced VAT this year, i donīt think they would have done this if the money supply was as good as it was before. There is a high potential for overambitious and not very realistical thinking.

You have always said the underground facilities that are being build around the tower might be a factor but i never found that argument to make any sense, because the construction of both, the Jeddah tower and Burj Khalifa are both very simmilar. And what you said could affect this project never affected the BK at all. It rose very very quickly, it only had the issue with itīs facade.
Old January 3rd, 2018, 01:59 PM   #17767
Gabriel900
Super Mod

Likes (Received): 29993

Simple reason: finance and politics, especially with what happened recently, one might argue "but glass panels are being added so this must mean this project is unaffected by all the political extravaganza" .. well this is because the purchase and the deal with the company was done and paid for before the Ritz drama.

Another reason people like to mention alot is "competition with Dubai" which doesn't make sense since Dubai isn't building a freestanding building so this will take the title of tallest anyways.

I think the one way this could be saved is if the gov took it over ... but then again the gov has other plans ... plans by the name of "Neom".

The effect of the latest political unrest is yet to be seen

One last thing concerning VAT .. it was added not because they need money right now but for a better longterm future
Old January 3rd, 2018, 02:10 PM   #17768
fayzoon
Fayez

Quote:
Originally Posted by germantower View Post
I still have the feeling that in the background a lot of info is hidden from the public and maybe things are going totally differntly as planned, so they see no reason to speed the project up, since a quickly finished Jeddah tower makes more or less no sense at this point.

Prince Alwaleed is still held at the Ritz, i have read of reports of torture at the hotel ( not sure if he was tortured) and authorities asking him to pay up to 6 billion dollars to go out on bail. I donīt think that this doesnīt affact this project right now. That doesnīt explain the slow progress over the last year or so. Both KSa and the UAE have introduced VAT this year, i donīt think they would have done this if the money supply was as good as it was before. There is a high potential for overambitious and not very realistical thinking.

You have always said the underground facilities that are being build around the tower might be a factor but i never found that argument to make any sense, because the construction of both, the Jeddah tower and Burj Khalifa are both very simmilar. And what you said could affect this project never affected the BK at all. It rose very very quickly, it only had the issue with itīs facade.
The project construction speed almost stopped right after announcement of the new tower (Feb 2016) in Dubai that will be topped out higher than this one

Who know if they want it to finish before to try and may change the design of the tower at the top of Jeddah Tower

Everything is possible ...

But, we are the winners of this competition at the end, especially when we are 100% sure that they will both be higher than 1100 meters high

Such a great time ahead

Lisimah liked this post
Old January 3rd, 2018, 02:19 PM   #17769
fayzoon
Fayez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel900 View Post
Simple reason: finance and politics, especially with what happened recently, one might argue "but glass panels are being added so this must mean this project is unaffected by all the political extravaganza" .. well this is because the purchase and the deal with the company was done and paid for before the Ritz drama.

Another reason people like to mention alot is "competition with Dubai" which doesn't make sense since Dubai isn't building a freestanding building so this will take the title of tallest anyways.

I think the one way this could be saved is if the gov took it over ... but then again the gov has other plans ... plans by the name of "Neom".

The effect of the latest political unrest is yet to be seen

One last thing concerning VAT .. it was added not because they need money right now but for a better longterm future
This is the only possible reason actually, tallest structure is the most important title that they all want to have

For me, it doesn't make any difference, UAE and KSA are brother countries and they both started the VAT at the same time.

Now, they fully own all types of THE TALLEST SKYSCRAPER global competition. Both towers' designs and heights are great

jogiba liked this post
Old January 3rd, 2018, 02:41 PM   #17770
leogodoy

Likes (Received): 51

Do you guys have any example of a supertall that had a design change to get HIGHER during the construction process? Just asking.
leogodoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2018, 03:37 PM   #17771
goodybear

Likes (Received): 770

Quote:
Originally Posted by leogodoy View Post
Do you guys have any example of a supertall that had a design change to get HIGHER during the construction process? Just asking.
Burj Khalifa. Original Design which commenced construction (3rd from left) was planned to be around 600 meters in height but during construction they realized the technologies were there to go higher, so they went with the highest possible height that was feasible, 828 meters.

http://www.burjdubaiskyscraper.com/2...rj-renders.jpg

Also, I'm hoping this one will rise above 1100 meters, but could someone please post all the sources saying this. Because I need at least 2 seperate sources to believe it, since websites are notorious for giving out wrong numbers when it comes to skyscrapers height in general.
~3-5m, 1fl
goodybear no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2018, 03:53 PM   #17772
leogodoy

Likes (Received): 51

Thanks!

From what I remember, by the time construction started SOM already planned for a 808 meter building, with the 20 extra meters coming from spire changes at a later stage. Not really major change, and I think that if something like this is planned for Jeddah Tower it wouldn't impact this phase of construction, but I am only speculating here.

I will do some research later on this, if you have anything confirming the work started on a 600m building, including foundations planning for that, etc, and then changed, please send us!

Cheers,
Leo
leogodoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2018, 04:19 PM   #17773
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 1266

The tallest wind tunnel tested working version of the Burj Khalifa was at around 950m. I think that at laeast SOM planned the foundation to withstand more than it does right now. I am not sure if at the time construction kicked off anyone knew how tall it will be in the end.

Gabriel900, SiriusCane, the dogi liked this post
germantower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2018, 04:59 PM   #17774
T1000
Ferrari S.p.A.

Likes (Received): 552

It was all in the original BK thread. Original plans were for about 600 meters, but they started with plans of going higher than that from the get go. They were aiming to get as close as possible to 1000 m and redesigned the tower several times at it's early stages of construction.

They were indeed testing 950 meters, but later scaled down to 800 meters, probably mostly due to time and costs. Everything in the tower though was planned for it to be as high as possible.

There were also several TV documentaries from and during the construction process. One of them showed that there was a miscalculation at some point and one of the walls that was eventually going to end in a setback was about 30 cm off from where it should have been. They stopped construction on that wing for a short while until engineers reworked the building again to find a solution. It turned out that the easiest solution was the best one - simply build the wall 30 cm thicker on one floor and it's back where it should have been. They were joking that there's a room or apartment somewhere in the building which is unique and has a thicker wall for even better soundproofing But I also remember they took everything into account before pouring the extra 30 cm, including how will the additional weight of that concrete would affect the whole building balance. If they take into account such tiny details, they for sure are being even more precise for JT.

So, theoretically they can indeed rework a lot of the building in order to make it higher or lower as it rises. The problem is with its own shape. While in BK you could add a setback here or remove one there and make one setback a few floors higher and make the building higher and still keep it's overall form and flow, with JT it's going to be a lot difficult as it's straight cone-shaped lines. So, you can't simply add a few more floors without ruining the line with a vertical one.

If they want or are indeed reworking JT to add some extra height, all of that would have to be at the top where the "glass shards" are starting. Maybe if they add another sharp edge here and there, they would squeeze out some additional height. I'm sure the foundations are calculated to withstand a lot more than the actual max weight of the tower when it's fully loaded.

Of course, the slowdown might be for a whole different set of reasons and have nothing to do with construction. Or simply it's not a priority project anymore and it's more like a spare time project. Or maybe that's just the schedule for now. If you look at the chart above, you will see somewhat of a pattern - they spend about 3 months with little to no progress, then they start going up. Who knows...
Old January 3rd, 2018, 05:23 PM   #17775
Gabriel900
Super Mod

Likes (Received): 29993

What a neat and clear summary ... loved it

T1000 liked this post
Gabriel900 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2018, 05:38 PM   #17776
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8360

I knew it was slow, but didn't realize how slow...
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2018, 06:44 PM   #17777
T1000
Ferrari S.p.A.

Likes (Received): 552

Yup. It took me some time to admit to myself that it's slower than even the expectations of slow, but it is what it is

Now that I think of it, there might be another way to add some extra height - changing the angle of the side walls ever so slightly towards 90 degrees. If they add a few extra degrees towards the vertical, this would/should still keep the overall cone shape, but make it a bit wider, so in turn you have to also make it higher to keep the silhouette. There are definitely options on the table, if they wish or have the ability/approval to do so. Plus, they are a lot smarter than I am, so I am sure they can find a way if that's their goal At this stage I'm simply glad to see it done one day
Old January 3rd, 2018, 08:17 PM   #17778
oud-Rotterdammer
Marc from Rotterdam

Likes (Received): 672

A limiting factor is the total weight of the Tower.
The piling and foundation were designed for the original 1007 m height (I suppose...).
With a certain safety margin, all well within the Saudi Arabic building regulations, and probably even better.

Same for the bending forces on the foundation due to wind load on the Tower.

It is therefore not possible to increase the height just at random or intuition.
Even with the same total weight, the wind effects are still an issue.

All calculations concerning this have to be done all over again.
An expensive and time consuming item...
oud-Rotterdammer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2018, 11:03 PM   #17779
delphi7x10

Likes (Received): 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by leogodoy View Post
The Chrysler Building in NYC, was changed to make it the highest by adding the Spire to the top.
delphi7x10 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2018, 08:32 AM   #17780
Dave-in-Toronto

Likes (Received): 842

January 4 - 8 am. Some work going on with the some of the cranes:

Tags
hypertall, jeddah economic city, jeddah tower, kingdom tower, megatall, tallest