daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 4th, 2011, 07:44 AM   #1881
fayzoon
Fayez

Likes (Received): 2250

Cityscape Jeddah will be the best place to show the project !! if it won't be this will be a very big mistake
fayzoon no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 8th, 2011, 07:21 PM   #1882
AnthonievanVliet

Likes (Received): 8

Not confirmed by Adrian Smith, so we have to wait and HOPE...

I found online Adrian Smith denies involvement of the Tower design just recently, and no official confirmations yet. But... The plan is so beautiful and spectacular I assume good news will arrive this year. We however should absolutely have the confirmation of the Kingdom Construction holding, or the Saudi government. If so, it will be breaking news, and making headlines worldwide.. Just imagine the view from 1600 meters above ground-level, it's sheer science fiction...Wow... We hope and pray the magnificent Jeddah Kingdom Tower Project will get the official green light soon, it will be the 8th wonder of the world!

Anthonie (netherlands)
AnthonievanVliet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2011, 07:45 PM   #1883
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8365

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonievanVliet View Post
I found online Adrian Smith denies involvement of the Tower design just recently, and no official confirmations yet. But... The plan is so beautiful and spectacular I assume good news will arrive this year. We however should absolutely have the confirmation of the Kingdom Construction holding, or the Saudi government. If so, it will be breaking news, and making headlines worldwide.. Just imagine the view from 1600 meters above ground-level, it's sheer science fiction...Wow... We hope and pray the magnificent Jeddah Kingdom Tower Project will get the official green light soon, it will be the 8th wonder of the world!

Anthonie (netherlands)
can you provide the source you got the information from? also welcome to the boards
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2011, 06:43 PM   #1884
AnthonievanVliet

Sure, no problem! here is what I found!

Here is the URL I found for you. http://www.worldarchitecturenews.com...pload_id=16408
Not exactly what we want to hear, since we all want positive confirmation.. All we can do is wait. I am sure the project will come sooner or later, Saudi Arabia has enormous financial reserves, and building this tower will be a brilliant move, and it will turn Jeddah into a world-class tourist destination. It might be the beginning of ecological vertical building, vertical has the future, bigger = better!

Last edited by AnthonievanVliet; May 9th, 2011 at 06:45 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old May 9th, 2011, 07:04 PM   #1885
AnthonievanVliet

This architect is another building contender!

http://www.civicarts.com/

This might be another very interesting contender to build Jeddah Kingdom Tower, Erik Kuhne Associates, the designer of Burj Mubarak al Kabir. Taller = Better!

Last edited by AnthonievanVliet; May 9th, 2011 at 07:05 PM. Reason: had to add URL
Old May 9th, 2011, 07:18 PM   #1886
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

It's still the same news. They just deny that they are working on mile-high-desing. For me its confirmation that the Kingdom Tower won't be mile high, but it doesn't prove S&G are not working on Kingdom Tower. All they say all the time is that they cannot confirm theirs involvement in the project. Thats quite vegue statement, but I take it as they just secure theirs image if the project from whatever reason couldn't be realised.
patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2011, 08:58 PM   #1887
fayzoon
Fayez

today is May 11th ,only one month left for June 11th.

and it will be like a year to me

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old May 12th, 2011, 12:12 AM   #1888
KaZantiP

Likes (Received): 262

its will be 1600 m?
KaZantiP no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2011, 12:26 AM   #1889
patrykus

Although I would love it to be, most likely it won't.
Old May 12th, 2011, 02:21 PM   #1890
fayzoon
Fayez

we're not sure yet, it's a matter of time we should wait ..
Old May 14th, 2011, 01:33 AM   #1891
AnthonievanVliet

I hope it will be 1600 meter (at least!) Solving the stifness problems at the top can be achieved by using light-weight concrete, (done by replacing steel rebar by kevlar or even carbon rods -more expensive-) or the more simple building approach: building the entire top of steel, the way they did it at Burj Khalifa. Anyway I'll keep my fingers crossed for mid-june, and pray there will be no new crisis (the debt crisis is now treatening the fiscal stability of Europe, and any crisis is unwanted and a risk for the great building plans...Hope for the best!! Anthonie the Netherlands
Old May 15th, 2011, 06:24 PM   #1892
fayzoon
Fayez

yes it can be a 1600m !! because it's Saudi Arabia what we're talking about where the GDP is almost half a trillion$ and Saudi people are just 18 millions.So, there will be a lot of money out of needed and they can spend it on projects like this ..
Old May 17th, 2011, 01:01 AM   #1893
Epu

Likes (Received): 13

Super tall !
Epu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2011, 03:59 AM   #1894
boschb
boschb

Likes (Received): 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by fayzoon View Post
yes it can be a 1600m !! because it's Saudi Arabia what we're talking about where the GDP is almost half a trillion$ and Saudi people are just 18 millions.So, there will be a lot of money out of needed and they can spend it on projects like this ..
dude, never, one mile will never happen, (unless some one is really bad with money)
boschb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2011, 04:32 AM   #1895
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Likes (Received): 350

Hi all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boschb View Post
dude, never, one mile will never happen, (unless some one is really bad with money)
Hi Boschb.

One mile will certainly happen ...

- I know what you meant ... You just said what most of us here are thinking.

This project won't be a mile. The press releases (that don't really say anything) are confusing the Kingdom Tower project with a mile high vision that just happens to be from the same country. This project will be over a km. - how much remains to be seen when it moves ahead (say 1050 meters - my guess). I was going to say if and when it moves ahead, but I do think it will happen - sometime ...

I will be more than happy to see a km. high structure built here.

That being said, a mile high project will happen in the coming decades - hopefully in my lifetime.

Ray.
Old May 17th, 2011, 01:06 PM   #1896
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8365

yeah i prefer a realistic 1000m project or even only 900m, than a mile high project that always gets pushed back because of problems and stuff
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2011, 02:05 PM   #1897
patrykus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fury View Post
This project won't be a mile. The press releases (that don't really say anything) are confusing the Kingdom Tower project with a mile high vision that just happens to be from the same country.
Not quite. That was always the same project, and the same developer. First we saw the vision called Mile Heigh Tower. It was said to be one mile tall. Then they changed the name to Kingdom Tower, relased new pre-desing, and announced it will be "over 1 km", which all combined obviously means they lowered the height from mile.

Media just stick to the Mile Height Tower name, because its more catchy I suppose, but its the same project at the end of the day.
Old May 17th, 2011, 03:58 PM   #1898
fayzoon
Fayez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fury View Post
Hi all.

Hi Boschb.

One mile will certainly happen ...

- I know what you meant ... You just said what most of us here are thinking.

This project won't be a mile. The press releases (that don't really say anything) are confusing the Kingdom Tower project with a mile high vision that just happens to be from the same country. This project will be over a km. - how much remains to be seen when it moves ahead (say 1050 meters - my guess). I was going to say if and when it moves ahead, but I do think it will happen - sometime ...

I will be more than happy to see a km. high structure built here.

That being said, a mile high project will happen in the coming decades - hopefully in my lifetime.

Ray.
Yes, over 1 km is pretty cool,but it may be a mile just for 1 reason .. because King Abdullah (the king of Saudi Arabia) is Prince Al-Waleed's uncle while Al-Waleed is the owner of the kingdom holdings (the builder of this tower) .So, this will support the project so much !!!
Old May 18th, 2011, 03:47 AM   #1899
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Likes (Received): 350

Hi all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrykus View Post
Not quite. That was always the same project, and the same developer. First we saw the vision called Mile Heigh Tower. It was said to be one mile tall. Then they changed the name to Kingdom Tower, relased new pre-desing, and announced it will be "over 1 km", which all combined obviously means they lowered the height from mile.

Media just stick to the Mile Height Tower name, because its more catchy I suppose, but its the same project at the end of the day.
Hi Pat.

I stand corrected ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fayzoon View Post
Yes, over 1 km is pretty cool,but it may be a mile just for 1 reason .. because King Abdullah (the king of Saudi Arabia) is Prince Al-Waleed's uncle while Al-Waleed is the owner of the kingdom holdings (the builder of this tower) .So, this will support the project so much !!!
Hi Fayzoon.

You are correct - there is lots of money about.
I do hope your right on the mile high - I will remain sceptical untill I see it.
As I already stated - I will be happy to see the next WTS here. Even, as Killer posted, 900 meters would be good.
Some credible news that the project is moving forward would be better right now - the height will obviously be top secret to start with.

Ray.
Old May 18th, 2011, 11:13 AM   #1900
BE0GRAD
∰f(W)dw≣∭f(r,φ,θ) drdφdθ

Likes (Received): 1174

I hope this never gets built!
BE0GRAD no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
hypertall, jeddah economic city, jeddah tower, kingdom tower, megatall, tallest