daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 7th, 2007, 06:07 PM   #101
Angelos

Likes (Received): 447

holyshit!!!!!
Angelos no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 7th, 2007, 08:07 PM   #102
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 890

I saw a program whith that road, I would'nt dare driving there.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2007, 08:17 PM   #103
edolen1
Monkey business

Likes (Received): 6

Man, that's sick! Adrenaline junkies only!

It's in Bolivia, I think, right?
edolen1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2007, 08:20 PM   #104
RKC

Likes (Received): 28

I'm not sure i'm afraid

it must be an important road too, i mean wtf is that trucktraffic in a place like that?
RKC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2007, 08:36 PM   #105
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

Quote:
Originally Posted by edolen1 View Post
It's in Bolivia, I think, right?
Yes, it's the road to the Yungas, it's said to be the most dangerous road in the world.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2007, 03:19 AM   #106
Stifler
That's what she said

Likes (Received): 11

Yungas Road is quite famous. It connects La Paz with Coroico through 64 breathtaking kilometers with a difference in height around 3,600m.

They use trucks both to carry goods and people, so it's even more dangerous. Estimations said around 600-800 people die annually in that road. The Government tried to control the access, letting 12h for each direction, but the local population rejected that idea.
Old November 8th, 2007, 04:47 PM   #107
rick1016

Likes (Received): 15

Great pictures guys!! Anyone have any more of China or Mongolia? I know it can be very isolated up there. What about Siberia?
rick1016 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2007, 04:54 PM   #108
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Altaj region;

Old November 8th, 2007, 04:56 PM   #109
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick1016 View Post
Great pictures guys!! Anyone have any more of China or Mongolia? I know it can be very isolated up there. What about Siberia?
I haven't discovered many from there, so posting a picture or two would be kinda odd, I think. There are some pics of the Lena Highway between Skovorodino and Yakutsk, but taken at extra raining time, and I wouldn't like to be assassinated by Russians.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2007, 05:02 AM   #110
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
I haven't discovered many from there, so posting a picture or two would be kinda odd, I think. There are some pics of the Lena Highway between Skovorodino and Yakutsk, but taken at extra raining time, and I wouldn't like to be assassinated by Russians.
Let me have the pleasure
http://englishrussia.com/?p=315

I like this one in particular:

Old November 9th, 2007, 09:58 AM   #111
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Yeah, that road is now paved all the way.
Old November 9th, 2007, 10:47 AM   #112
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

What do you actually mean by "all the way"? As far as I know, many parts of this federal road is still unpaved.
Alex Von Königsberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2007, 10:50 AM   #113
ChrisZwolle
Road user

It has been paved in 2004, however some sections aren't paved, but the road is drivable all year long. The whole road have to be paved by 2010 with 3,5m wide lanes each, and an average speed of 100km/h.

http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%A4%...83%D1%80%C2%BB

Russian wiki
Old November 9th, 2007, 10:51 AM   #114
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
The Chita-Khabarovsk road remained largely unfinished up until early 2004, when Russian President Vladimir Putin symbolically opened the Amur Highway, with great swaths of forest separating major portions from one another. Even today, in some places, it is a modern paved highway with painted reflective lane-lines and in others, a single meandering, pockmarked, loose-gravel trail following the route of the early 20th-century Amur Cart Road. Completion of the 7-metre-wide highway between Chita and Khabarovsk is slated for 2010.
English wiki
Old November 9th, 2007, 10:53 AM   #115
Aokromes
Patatero Inside

Likes (Received): 2648

Anyway, englishrussia.com is very well know because the lack of reliable info

The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards - and even then I have my doubts. Gene Spafford.
I am Basque, not Russian, the "Siberia" thing is a joke.
Aokromes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2007, 03:01 PM   #116
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Chris, that's the new Amur-, not Lena Highway.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2008, 03:21 PM   #117
golov
Democracy above all

Likes (Received): 1913

Guys, I think on the picture is the Lena highway, which is a road to Yakutsk. The trans-Siberian highway is a different road and it is being brought up to standards.

Anyways, an interesting fact about the road to Yakutsk (the one one the photos), because it is so ridiculously long and remote, it is what we call a winter road. This means that you can only properly drive down this road in winter when it is frozen solid. In those parts, of course, winter is very long, so this means that you can drive on the road for most of the year. In the summer you might be in trouble when rain starts, because the road will be totally undrivable. That is exactly what you see on the pic
golov no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2008, 03:35 PM   #118
Dan

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgk920 View Post
I-70 in east-central Utah is VERY remote, likely the most remote on the I-system. It is about 160 km between fuel stations and other services (ie, no electricity and *NO* cell phone service) between Green River and Salina, UT. The highway was built through virgin territory on a route that did NOT replace an earlier two-lane highway.

I-87 through the Adirondack Park in New York (the main road between Albany, NY and Montreal) is also amazingly remote.

I do agree that that part of I-80 is also right up there.

Mike
Haha, we (almost) found out about the I-70 stretch there the hard way. Virtually out of gas, many km away of the nearest gas station, no cell phone service (even though we were next to a tower!!), middle of the night. After (me) freaking out we just went for it anyway and hoped the car would last to the gas station which it thankfully did. Arrived back in Salt Lake at like 4 am or something. :P Good times...
Dan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2008, 03:44 PM   #119
golov
Democracy above all

Likes (Received): 1913

Guys, here is a map to help visualize how truly remote these roads are

Blue - section of the trans-Siberian highway from Chita to Khabarovsk
Red - Lena Highway

In the context of a Europe, the section of the trans-siberian highway that is being built is equivalent to building a road London-Glasgow-London-Glasgow, or Paris-Kiev
golov no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2008, 02:53 AM   #120
kokanee2

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcuri View Post
Some years ago I drove from Rio where I live to Argentinean Patagonia and Chile, extreme south of the Americas, a very remote and sparsely populated place. I have a bunch of photos but I´ll try to resume. These are some roads I took:

I remember this stetch of the road, almost 200km of a unbeliveable plane, straight road, without any curve or relief.

A gas station in a "town" called Cerro Castillo, near Torres del Paine N.P. The pump is inside the mini house. The hose is pulled by the small hole below the window. By the way, I had to take the owner (a sympathic lady) at her home so she could me fill my tank.

I had to close my side mirrors to fit in this bridge!!

This is the place I stopped to overnight at the end of this day: Bajo Caracoles, 33 inhabitants (34 with me
Thank you for your photo's. I'm tempted to do the same.

Did you ever have to "sweat" (worry) about the fuel situation? What was the farthest you ever had to drive between fuel tank fill ups?

Also, were you forced to detour (ie: bridge out, road closed, etc) at any time during this trip of yours?

I am reminded of a drive I did between Kelowna, BC, Canada and Yellowknife, NWT back in the early 1990's. It took three days to get there, and surprise three back. Between Fort Simpson, NWT and Fort Nelson, BC, I sweated the fuel situation.

Traductor Google: Ingles -> Espanol http://translate.google.com/translate_t#en|es|
Google Translate: Spanish -> English http://translate.google.com/translate_t#
kokanee2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote