daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 27th, 2015, 11:14 PM   #161
WillBuild

Likes (Received): 686

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay stew View Post
LaGuardia is getting the boot.
Finally!

A render straight from the governor's tweet:

I don't know whether this is an actual design, or just an early concept.

Sponsored Links
Old July 27th, 2015, 11:19 PM   #162
WillBuild

The Laguardia news also brought news about a few of the other airports in the region:

Quote:
The new airport is part of an ambitious plan aimed at four of the state’s airports in the New York area. Stewart Airport north of the city and Republic Airport on Long Island would both get Startup New York designation, offering new and expanding businesses to operate tax free for 10 years. Also, John F. Kennedy Airport would have its architecturally distinct Saarinen building reconfigured into a hotel.
by CBS local.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
WillBuild no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2015, 12:15 AM   #163
WillBuild

LaGuardia Renderings

More renderings coming directly from the Governor's office Flickr page. Click the links for the original 4K size.

LaGuardia Renderings
by governorandrewcuomo, on Flickr

LaGuardia Renderings

LaGuardia Renderings

LaGuardia Renderings

LaGuardia Renderings

LaGuardia Renderings
Old July 28th, 2015, 12:32 AM   #164
BoulderGrad

Likes (Received): 1176

They really need to do the same to just about all of JFK and Terminals A and B of Newark (Don't know what C is like, but looks to be a much newer, nicer building). Then New York won't be such a hell hole to fly into.

While we're at it, rebuild Penn Station to something resembling its former glory, high speed rail in the NE corridor, an... Okay, I'll stop.

lsg97, NikolasM, 1772, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
BoulderGrad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2015, 12:54 AM   #165
N.Y.C.H

Likes (Received): 407

Its about time a major airport was totally rebuilt in this country. Hopefully others follow in its footsteps
N.Y.C.H no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2015, 03:24 AM   #166
BBMW

Likes (Received): 35

A few of the JFK terminals are fairly new and in good shape. Some aren't. It just depends what airline you pick.

As far as LGA, it's ridiculous to fix the terminal, and not do anything about it's airside problems. The need to make the runways longer, and parallel. The intersecting runways are a major slowdown.

JFK has a very similar problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderGrad View Post
They really need to do the same to just about all of JFK and Terminals A and B of Newark (Don't know what C is like, but looks to be a much newer, nicer building). Then New York won't be such a hell hole to fly into.

While we're at it, rebuild Penn Station to something resembling its former glory, high speed rail in the NE corridor, an... Okay, I'll stop.
Old July 28th, 2015, 01:21 PM   #167
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

Quote:
NEW YORK (CBSNewYork/AP) — Gov. Andrew Cuomo on Monday introduced a plan to redesign and rebuild LaGuardia Airport, replacing the cramped, outdated hub with a unified terminal that will have more than double the space.

“LaGuardia is ‘un-New York,'” Cuomo said. “LaGuardia is slow, it’s dated, it is a terrible front-door entrance way to New York. It is a lost opportunity. It is almost universally decried as a poor representation of a an airport, let alone a New York airport.”

He said the current airport is a collection of cramped terminals with high volume and low ceilings.

Vice President Joe Biden, who was at the event Monday, said last year that if he blindfolded someone and took him to LaGuardia, he’d think he was in “some Third World country.”

“This is the greatest city in the world,” Biden said Monday. “It requires a 21st Century infrastructure.”

The first part of the plan will begin next year and cost $4 billion, half from private funding, Cuomo said. Delta Air Lines is a partner in the new terminal.
Jeez... I hate to say it, but every US airport I went through was absolutely terrible (which is just limited to JFK, LaGuardia, O'Hare, Seatac, SFO & LAX). Seattle and the new international terminal at LAX were ok, the rest are cramped and terrible. Compared the European/Australian airports, they're bad; but compared to Asian airports... well, they just don't even begin to compare.

Buffaboy, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
city_thing no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2015, 04:16 PM   #168
Buffaboy
Buffalo's Idealist💡

Likes (Received): 2122

Now this is a civil engineer's wet dream. There just aren't that many airport rebuild projects/new build projects in the US, and this will surely put many people back to work with a $4B price tag.

Why can't this be done in airports like LAX and all of the others? Why can't SAN ever get its floating airport?

Last edited by Buffaboy; July 28th, 2015 at 04:24 PM.
Buffaboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2015, 11:27 PM   #169
NikolasM

Likes (Received): 22

Some musings I did on JFK that in my mind are feasible. Really like the drawings of the LGA redo.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...jo&usp=sharing
NikolasM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2015, 12:43 AM   #170
LosAngelesSportsFan

Likes (Received): 860

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaboy View Post
Now this is a civil engineer's wet dream. There just aren't that many airport rebuild projects/new build projects in the US, and this will surely put many people back to work with a $4B price tag.

Why can't this be done in airports like LAX and all of the others? Why can't SAN ever get its floating airport?
LAX is going through a 10 billion dollar remodel. Tom Bradley international was recently completed, Midway terminal will start construction soon and i think 6 out of 7 domestic terminals are getting remodeled

N.Y.C.H, phoenixboi08, WillBuild liked this post
LosAngelesSportsFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2015, 07:42 AM   #171
EK413

Likes (Received): 1895

We planning to fly from New York to Miami any recommendations as to which of the 3 airports to use? I was going with JFK as it would have far more choice of flights. Your thoughts?
Old July 29th, 2015, 09:29 AM   #172
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11245

Check the sales offers before making your decision. In fact, you don't have to fly into and out of Miami; instead, you can fly into Miami and fly out via another airport like Fort Lauderdale (or vice versa). Shop around for the best deals first... jetBlue offers better amenities than United or Delta.

San Carlos • San Bruno • San Mateo • Saint Helena • Ross
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2015, 10:40 PM   #173
BoulderGrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
LAX is going through a 10 billion dollar remodel. Tom Bradley international was recently completed, Midway terminal will start construction soon and i think 6 out of 7 domestic terminals are getting remodeled
I have the same fantasy wet dream for LAX terminals 1-8 that I do for JFK: For them to all be rebuilt in the same architectural style as the new international terminal. They're all the product of several decades of different eras of aviation and renovations. Would be cool if they all got a modern makeover in a fairly short time frame (5-10 years).

Old July 30th, 2015, 10:49 PM   #174
BoulderGrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
A few of the JFK terminals are fairly new and in good shape. Some aren't. It just depends what airline you pick.

As far as LGA, it's ridiculous to fix the terminal, and not do anything about it's airside problems. The need to make the runways longer, and parallel. The intersecting runways are a major slowdown.

JFK has a very similar problem.
JFK is such a mess of a layout tho. Most modern airports have a much more linear layout than the spider-ey plant that JFK has grown into. You could easily fit 4 parallel runways on the site if the terminals weren't branching out so far. Picture a layout like DIA/ATL or even cooler, a mega terminal like Beijing or Dubai.

Old July 30th, 2015, 11:23 PM   #175
LosAngelesSportsFan

Likes (Received): 860

Quote:
I have the same fantasy wet dream for LAX terminals 1-8 that I do for JFK: For them to all be rebuilt in the same architectural style as the new international terminal. They're all the product of several decades of different eras of aviation and renovations. Would be cool if they all got a modern makeover in a fairly short time frame (5-10 years).
That would be wonderful. The domestic terminal renovations range from very drastic to minimal. Eventually, after the midway terminal is built, we will see more drastic changes to T4 and T5 from what i was reading on the LAX thread.

Anyways, back to the topic at hand. All the NY airports could use a refresh and im glad to see them going in big for Laguardia. The newer terminal at JFK is nice, so hopefully they have similar plans for the rest of it
LosAngelesSportsFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2015, 05:53 PM   #176
gramercy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 799

Floating airport in SF?

gramercy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2015, 01:40 AM   #177
BBMW

Likes (Received): 35

You're correct, but this is an egg that isn't going to be unscrambled You can do four parallel at JFK with the current runway configuration also, but you'd need some landfill to the south along the current edge of Jamaica bay.

But there's a problem with that. It puts too much traffic over lower Manhattan. What they could do is change the 13-31 orientation to 10-28, do the landfill mentioned above, and they could fit four parallels, and get space for terminal expansion on both the north and south sides of the terminal block.

Quote:
JFK is such a mess of a layout tho. Most modern airports have a much more linear layout than the spider-ey plant that JFK has grown into. You could easily fit 4 parallel runways on the site if the terminals weren't branching out so far. Picture a layout like DIA/ATL or even cooler, a mega terminal like Beijing or Dubai.

BBMW no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2015, 02:33 AM   #178
BoulderGrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
You're correct, but this is an egg that isn't going to be unscrambled You can do four parallel at JFK with the current runway configuration also, but you'd need some landfill to the south along the current edge of Jamaica bay.

But there's a problem with that. It puts too much traffic over lower Manhattan. What they could do is change the 13-31 orientation to 10-28, do the landfill mentioned above, and they could fit four parallels, and get space for terminal expansion on both the north and south sides of the terminal block.
Admittedly I'm quite ignorant of air traffic control patterns, but wouldn't it be better to make the runways parallel to the ones at Newark-Liberty to avoid closer cross traffic (and also avoid putting a lot of the JFK traffic over Brooklyn instead of Manhattan)?

I guess it all depends how crazy we want to get with the fantasizing. If somehow New York had become the biggest city in the country without having an airport, and we decide one day that we need to build 3 airports from scratch in the current sites of LGA, Newark, and JFK, how would we go about it?

Edit: Bigger question is; would we build 3 airports if we were building from scratch, or drop Newark or LGA?

Old August 3rd, 2015, 07:04 AM   #179
Rokto14

Likes (Received): 141

Quote:
Admittedly I'm quite ignorant of air traffic control patterns, but wouldn't it be better to make the runways parallel to the ones at Newark-Liberty to avoid closer cross traffic (and also avoid putting a lot of the JFK traffic over Brooklyn instead of Manhattan)?

I guess it all depends how crazy we want to get with the fantasizing. If somehow New York had become the biggest city in the country without having an airport, and we decide one day that we need to build 3 airports from scratch in the current sites of LGA, Newark, and JFK, how would we go about it?

Edit: Bigger question is; would we build 3 airports if we were building from scratch, or drop Newark or LGA?
Build 3 new airports from scratch and don't even think of droping Newark or LGA cause passenger numbers will grow gradually and all 5 airports can handle the passenger capacity. But is it really true that there will be 3 new airports build from scratch?

Rokto14 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2015, 07:58 AM   #180
SEmiks
WeTravel.com.ua

Likes (Received): 84

Hi there!

Tell me please. The renewed LaGuardia airport will be domestic as usual, or became international? What about length of runways? Any plans to make them longer?

Thank you!

SEmiks no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
ewr, jfk, lga, new york city, northamerica airport hubs, us airports