daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old August 13th, 2009, 02:37 PM   #661
newgabskii
Redifining Life

Likes (Received): 0

this is bad...

Height limit a problem for proposed structures at Pagcor City
Economy
Written by Recto Mercene / Reporter
Thursday, 13 August 2009 01:19

THE Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines (CAAP) is in discussion with officials of the Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corp. (Pagcor) over a decision to approve or turn down plans to construct a 300-meter-tall Pagcor Tower, piercing the sky over the reclaimed Manila Bay.

Plans are also afoot to construct a huge Ferries wheel, modeled after the London Eye, which would be about 135 meters tall. Both structures would be the centerpiece of the proposed Pagcor City.

The tower will have two globular designs along its length to house restaurants and viewing decks where visitors could have a commanding view of Metro Manila all the way to the foothills of Antipolo.

The full name of Pagcor City is Bagong Nayong Pilipino-Manila Bay Integrated City, after the miniaturized Philippine villages have been uprooted from its home at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (Naia) compound to merge with the Pagcor complex.

The whole complex is a Las Vegas-type gaming and entertainment center that would soon dominate the 8 square kilometer of reclaimed land in Manila Bay, adjacent to the Mall of Asia.

The project is expected to include between $15 billion and $20 billion of investments spread over three phases.

However, Pagcor City lies within the 5-kilometer radius of the Naia, where the height of infrastructure is regulated by the CAAP. Within this radius, height of buildings is limited to 56 meters.

This regulation is aimed to protect the air traveling public, either from airplane colliding with the tall tower or any man-made edifice. Most often the infrastructure themselves become sort of an obstruction, preventing the radio signals coming from the Naia instruments landing system to be properly received by airplanes, disorienting pilots, according to the CAAP.

That is why most buildings surrounding the Naia compound, within that critical 5-mile radius are limited in height up to a maximum of 56 meters.

The same height limitations of man-made infrastructure are imposed in the provinces adjacent to airports.

The BusinessMirror gathered that hotels, state-of-the-art theaters, gaming centers and residential villages, condominium and hospitals that are integral parts of Pagcor City would have an average height of 100 meters.

This problem is now confronting Pagcor developers, not having seen in advance the limitation imposed by aviation authorities before they committed to breaking the ground on the new city by the bay that would have rivaled the gambling entertainment mecca Las Vegas.

CAAP sources said they might compromise and allow the 100-meter-tall infrastructure such as the condominium and hotels to proceed with the construction.

However, the green signal for the Pagcor Tower and the “Manila Eye” Ferris wheel are being held in abeyance.

The Pagcor City complex will be built in three phases on 800 hectares of reclaimed land. The first phase will host a hotel-resort and theme park. The next two phases will have retirement villages and entertainment centers.

CAAP Director General Ruben Ciron said he had been updated on the project and attending to problems, consulting with his men to find a solution so that the multibillion peso project could proceed as planned.

He has yet to hand down a decision.

“These tall projects of Pagcor could be built in the reclaimed land and become the centerpiece of the gambling city if the Naia runway complex and the airport itself would be relocated instead,” according to one observer.

There have been suggestions to move the whole Naia complex to the Diosdado Macapagal International Airport in the former military base in Clark, Pampanga.

That move could be viable if the Naia complex, Makati and The Fort in Taguig could be connected to Clark by a high-speed “bullet train” like the one connecting Central Tokyo to Narita Airport, about an hour away by the famous Shenkanshen trains of Japan.

A top official of the CAAP said the 300-meter tower and Manila Eye could be completed if they are located either in Navotas, Calamba or Santa Rosa, Laguna, a distance of about 25 kilometers from the Naia, but definitely not at the present proposed site in Manila Bay.

Sponsored Links
Old August 14th, 2009, 10:53 AM   #662
JulZ
Happy 2017 SSCPH

Likes (Received): 511

For me, it is perfect to put the pagcor tower and the manila eye on the reclaimed area and not on places that are far away from the established tourism economic zone.

I think it is better to transfer the airport and plan for a bullet train.

By the way:

"The tower will have two globular designs along its length to house restaurants and viewing decks where visitors could have a commanding view of Metro Manila all the way to the foothills of Antipolo."

Like this?

[IMG]http://i27.************/4kbrmc.jpg[/IMG]
JulZ no está en línea  
Old August 14th, 2009, 11:15 PM   #663
PnoySilver

I'm not surprised. Between the two options, I would like to see the NAIA airport relocate to Diosdado Macapagal airport and have a bullet train built connecting Metro Manila and the airport and have this tower constructed at Manila Bay. The location (mostly farmland and sparsely populated residential) is suitable for future expansion (which the country needs to increase traffic and decrease the delays), which it plans to have another parallel runway and terminal. The layout on NAIA airport is poorly planned because you have two intersecting runways which you can only have one runway used most of the time. The abandoned lot could be turned into roads since that airport really was a bottleneck for road traffic. Maybe in the far future, Manila could built a new airport on reclaimed land in Laguna Bay that''s more than 5 miles away.

Last edited by PnoySilver; August 14th, 2009 at 11:22 PM.
PnoySilver no está en línea  
Old August 14th, 2009, 11:22 PM   #664
PnoySilver

I'm not surprised. Between the two options, I would like to see the NAIA airport relocate to Diosdado Macapagal airport and built a bullet train connecting Metro Manila and the airport. The location (farmland and sparsely populated residential) is suitable for future expansion (which the country needs to increase traffic and decrease the delays), which it plans to have another parallel runway and terminal. The abandoned lot could be turned into roads since that airport really was a bottleneck for road traffic. Maybe in the far future, Manila could built a new airport on reclaimed land in Laguna Bay that''s more than 5 miles away.
PnoySilver no está en línea  
Old August 15th, 2009, 06:14 AM   #665
Zollern

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by newgabskii
The Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines is in discussion with officials of Pagcor over a decision to approve or turn down plans to construct a 300-meter-tall Pagcor Tower
Surely the surprise is that 1. it hasn't been approved (contrary to the thread title) and 2. the current plan is for a 300 metre tower.
I think it's safe to say the 665m proposal bit the dust a long time ago.

Quote:
This problem is now confronting Pagcor developers, not having seen in advance the limitation imposed by aviation authorities before they committed to breaking the ground on the new city
Don't you think they would have done their homework first?
Zollern no está en línea  
Old August 15th, 2009, 10:02 AM   #666
newgabskii
Redifining Life

the 665 tower is revised to 300m and is still being decided by CAAP since it would obstruct air traffic in NAIA...

its better that govt would transfer naia and build a bullet train or else investors would get frustrated...
Old August 15th, 2009, 10:20 AM   #667
mhek

Likes (Received): 578

if they plan to make it 300m tall, im not surprised because it is adjacent to airport runway.
mhek no está en línea  
Old August 15th, 2009, 10:30 AM   #668
skyscraper100
>:

Likes (Received): 32

i wonder whats the design of that 300m... i wish its better
skyscraper100 no está en línea  
Old August 16th, 2009, 12:36 PM   #669
higen
Think!

Quote:
Originally Posted by newgabskii View Post
Economy

THE Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines (CAAP) is in discussion with officials of the Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corp. (Pagcor) over a decision to approve or turn down plans to construct a 300-meter-tall Pagcor Tower, piercing the sky over the reclaimed Manila Bay.

Plans are also afoot to construct a huge Ferries wheel, modeled after the London Eye, which would be about 135 meters tall. Both structures would be the centerpiece of the proposed Pagcor City.

The tower will have two globular designs along its length to house restaurants and viewing decks where visitors could have a commanding view of Metro Manila all the way to the foothills of Antipolo.

The full name of Pagcor City is Bagong Nayong Pilipino-Manila Bay Integrated City, after the miniaturized Philippine villages have been uprooted from its home at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (Naia) compound to merge with the Pagcor complex.

The whole complex is a Las Vegas-type gaming and entertainment center that would soon dominate the 8 square kilometer of reclaimed land in Manila Bay, adjacent to the Mall of Asia.

The project is expected to include between $15 billion and $20 billion of investments spread over three phases.

However, Pagcor City lies within the 5-kilometer radius of the Naia, where the height of infrastructure is regulated by the CAAP. Within this radius, height of buildings is limited to 56 meters.

This regulation is aimed to protect the air traveling public, either from airplane colliding with the tall tower or any man-made edifice. Most often the infrastructure themselves become sort of an obstruction, preventing the radio signals coming from the Naia instruments landing system to be properly received by airplanes, disorienting pilots, according to the CAAP.

That is why most buildings surrounding the Naia compound, within that critical 5-mile radius are limited in height up to a maximum of 56 meters.

The same height limitations of man-made infrastructure are imposed in the provinces adjacent to airports.

The BusinessMirror gathered that hotels, state-of-the-art theaters, gaming centers and residential villages, condominium and hospitals that are integral parts of Pagcor City would have an average height of 100 meters.

This problem is now confronting Pagcor developers, not having seen in advance the limitation imposed by aviation authorities before they committed to breaking the ground on the new city by the bay that would have rivaled the gambling entertainment mecca Las Vegas.

CAAP sources said they might compromise and allow the 100-meter-tall infrastructure such as the condominium and hotels to proceed with the construction.

However, the green signal for the Pagcor Tower and the “Manila Eye” Ferris wheel are being held in abeyance.

The Pagcor City complex will be built in three phases on 800 hectares of reclaimed land. The first phase will host a hotel-resort and theme park. The next two phases will have retirement villages and entertainment centers.

CAAP Director General Ruben Ciron said he had been updated on the project and attending to problems, consulting with his men to find a solution so that the multibillion peso project could proceed as planned.

“These tall projects of Pagcor could be built in the reclaimed land and become the centerpiece of the gambling city if the Naia runway complex and the airport itself would be relocated instead,” according to one observer.

There have been suggestions to move the whole Naia complex to the Diosdado Macapagal International Airport in the former military base in Clark, Pampanga.

That move could be viable if the Naia complex, Makati and The Fort in Taguig could be connected to Clark by a high-speed “bullet train” like the one connecting Central Tokyo to Narita Airport, about an hour away by the famous Shenkanshen trains of Japan.

A top official of the CAAP said the 300-meter tower and Manila Eye could be completed if they are located either in Navotas, Calamba or Santa Rosa, Laguna, a distance of about 25 kilometers from the Naia, but definitely not at the present proposed site in Manila Bay.
I had a feeling this was coming...typical...disappointing
Old August 16th, 2009, 03:14 PM   #670
burjdubai91
Visionary

Likes (Received): 96

300 meters? they cut the tower's height in half.... I knew this was coming one way or another.... hopefully it doesn't get cancelled altogether... i'd settle with the 300 meter tower.... our country needs supertalls and landmarks to attract tourists...

My 3D Design Thread
PD Architecture and 3D Visualization

My Portfolio
https://www.behance.net/ptrckdsign
burjdubai91 no está en línea  
Old August 16th, 2009, 09:38 PM   #671
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

300m?
ZZ-II no está en línea  
Old August 16th, 2009, 09:58 PM   #672
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

Amazing that the developers didn't take into effect the air traffic near the land. That should've been one of their first hurdles to tackle. Some developers just think their projects are so awesome that governments will rewrite laws to fit their plans. That's not usually the case.

300 meters is nothing to laugh at though. Taller would be much better, but hopefully this matter gets settled and construction can start.
spectre000 no está en línea  
Old August 17th, 2009, 12:22 AM   #673
filcan
mega manila | megacity

Likes (Received): 12

Disappointing that the PAGCOR Tower height has been cut in half but as long as Metro Manila has an observation tower I'm happy.
Old August 19th, 2009, 11:45 AM   #674
higen
Think!

Malaysia has a 400+++ meters supertall, the tallest in the region...and we have a 300+++ meters tall tower, which is not even going to be the 2nd tallest structure in this region...hmmmmm...I say make it 600 or dont make it at all...IF they really want to make it, they will make it...Instead of looking for excuses not to make it 600m they will look for solutions how to make it 600m...I suspect the real reason is not for airport safety...dont know what it is but I dont think its the real reason...sigh... talk about a major let down...tsk tsk tsk
Old August 20th, 2009, 02:44 PM   #675
carl_vilches21
Raucous

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by newgabskii View Post
Economy

This is very disappointing!
carl_vilches21 no está en línea  
Old August 21st, 2009, 03:04 PM   #676
tcauzon

i think they must Construct the Pagcor Tower in Makati City to avoid cutting the Tower's Height in Half

Makati is quite far from NAIA right?
tcauzon no está en línea  
Old August 21st, 2009, 04:12 PM   #677
JulZ
Happy 2017 SSCPH

Likes (Received): 511

put the Pagcor tower at Filinvest, Muntinlupa City.... or at Taguig
JulZ no está en línea  
Old August 28th, 2009, 03:34 AM   #678
filcan
mega manila | megacity

Likes (Received): 12

dp
Old August 28th, 2009, 06:53 AM   #679
yangkhm

Likes (Received): 172

Just want to see some propose photos about this project.
thanks
yangkhm no está en línea  
Old August 29th, 2009, 02:14 PM   #680
higen
Think!

If this issue about the airtraffic being a factor in the whole thing, what i would like to know is who is the moron who didnt do his/her homework first and even had the nerve to declare to the WORLD that we would be building what is turning out to be an imaginary 660++ meter tower, without considering airtraffic?

I didnt even bother thinking about the airtraffic issue because as far as i believed, issues such as airplanes crashing into a super tall SHOULD HAVE BEEN TOUGHT OF before plans to build or even before it is proposed as a project!...Now after all this press releases, all this media attention they will say that, oopsss, we made a mistake...sheezzz...by the gods, when will common sense be common??? haaaayyyyyssss...This is an international embarrassment if you ask me...tsk tsk tsk

Closed Thread