daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old September 29th, 2007, 08:45 PM   #21
edolen1
Monkey business
 
edolen1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Nova Gorica
Posts: 3,542
Likes (Received): 6

The exit sign and the number plates are definitely photoshopped, they look suspiciously sharp. That title on the Mercedes also looks photoshopped. It's definitely Europe, you won't find a Megane anywhere else in the English-speaking world I'm afraid.
edolen1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 29th, 2007, 09:07 PM   #22
KIWIKAAS
Registered User
 
KIWIKAAS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: The Hague
Posts: 4,522
Likes (Received): 752

Yep. It's the UK
KIWIKAAS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2007, 09:25 PM   #23
DanielFigFoz
Registered User
 
DanielFigFoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: No fixed abode
Posts: 4,431
Likes (Received): 894

Uk dives on the other side of the road and it's photoshopped it doesn't have to be in an english speacking place.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2007, 09:46 PM   #24
KIWIKAAS
Registered User
 
KIWIKAAS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: The Hague
Posts: 4,522
Likes (Received): 752


Read my post on the preceding page.

Quote:
May I hazard a guess that it's the UK (purely going on the markings) with the picture reversed and the required photoshop work done to complete the illusion (ie: exit sign, number plate, and mercedes type)
I'm going on the markings. The markings pictured are typically UK. I can't think of another country that marks their roads in such a way.
KIWIKAAS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2007, 09:51 PM   #25
edolen1
Monkey business
 
edolen1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Nova Gorica
Posts: 3,542
Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIWIKAAS View Post

Read my post on the preceding page.



I'm going on the markings. The markings pictured are typically UK. I can't think of another country that marks their roads in such a way.
Yup, it's the UK I suspect as well, I don't see any other reason why someone would photoshop the Mercedes title unless it was mirrored..
edolen1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2007, 10:01 PM   #26
Minato ku
Moderator
 
Minato ku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Paris, Montrouge
Posts: 16,749

Quote:
Originally Posted by edolen1 View Post
The exit sign and the number plates are definitely photoshopped, they look suspiciously sharp. That title on the Mercedes also looks photoshopped. It's definitely Europe, you won't find a Megane anywhere else in the English-speaking world I'm afraid.
And also in Australia.
__________________
すみません !
J’aime Paris et je veux des tours !
Minato ku no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2007, 10:16 PM   #27
KIWIKAAS
Registered User
 
KIWIKAAS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: The Hague
Posts: 4,522
Likes (Received): 752


But it definitely ain't Australia
KIWIKAAS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2007, 10:41 PM   #28
EricIsHim
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 4,397
Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCat View Post
Ahm I don't think that it's right. The yellow line is used on all roads in the US and Canada, regardless of whether it's an interstate or not.
It's a common rule to have a yellow line on the left side of the road, but it's not a regulation. In the US, the Federal standard is to have a yellow line on the left, but it only applies to any Federal roadway like Interstate. If the roadway is a state or local road, it do not need to necessary follow the federal rule. The road only needs to follow the state or local regulations.

This must be a state road somewhere which the state is not restricted to have a yellow line on the left. Otherwise, the inspector is not going to sign off the construction with a white line on the left which does not meet the state standard. The contractor would have to go back and paint that in yellow no matter what.
__________________
EricIsHim
My PhotoBucket
EricIsHim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2007, 11:09 PM   #29
KIWIKAAS
Registered User
 
KIWIKAAS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: The Hague
Posts: 4,522
Likes (Received): 752


it's not in the US.
It's in the UK. Read the posts and check the image again
KIWIKAAS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2007, 11:23 PM   #30
Frog
SSC addict
 
Frog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 422
Likes (Received): 3

I agree, also in the top right the sign looks like a standard UK road sign with white background
Frog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2007, 01:32 AM   #31
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)
 
TheCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 1,358
Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricIsHim View Post
It's a common rule to have a yellow line on the left side of the road, but it's not a regulation. In the US, the Federal standard is to have a yellow line on the left, but it only applies to any Federal roadway like Interstate. If the roadway is a state or local road, it do not need to necessary follow the federal rule. The road only needs to follow the state or local regulations.

This must be a state road somewhere which the state is not restricted to have a yellow line on the left. Otherwise, the inspector is not going to sign off the construction with a white line on the left which does not meet the state standard. The contractor would have to go back and paint that in yellow no matter what.
Well, maybe you are right, but I have never seen a North American road with a white line in the middle. Not in practice, and not on pictures. If this is true, then it's very stupid and a MAJOR safety hazard, as on a two-lane road, I would assume that both lanes are into the same direction if they were separated with a white line. I don't think that this is the case in Canada. The only discrepancy in colour I've noticed is the separation of parking spaces - sometimes yellow lines are used, and other times white lines are used. Using a white line on such a major expressway, however, seems very unlikely to me.
__________________
Check out my driving videos on Youtube | Please visit the Highways & Autobahns forum
TheCat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2007, 01:55 AM   #32
KevD
Member since Sept. 2004
 
KevD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kelowna, BC
Posts: 582
Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Von Königsberg View Post
Yeah, it's definitely not Canada or USA.
Are you kidding? haha, its obviously in north america somewhere. I don't think you would ever see a car from pennsylvania in europe.
__________________
http://www.fieldsofgreen.ca
KevD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2007, 02:11 AM   #33
Jero
Registered User
 
Jero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Amersfoort, Jakarta
Posts: 92
Likes (Received): 0

How can it be in the uk? Uk uses yellow numberplates and the cars on the picture all have white numerplates, unless on that picture are only foreign cars. And in the uk they drive at the other side of the road and the driver sits at the other side.

@ KevD. It ain't in north America either, you don't have such wide numerplates in north America as in Europe. On the picture you can see those big wide numerplates, which you don't have in America.
Jero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2007, 02:26 AM   #34
Minato ku
Moderator
 
Minato ku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Paris, Montrouge
Posts: 16,749

In U.K the front plate is white.

__________________
すみません !
J’aime Paris et je veux des tours !
Minato ku no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2007, 02:56 AM   #35
Jero
Registered User
 
Jero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Amersfoort, Jakarta
Posts: 92
Likes (Received): 0

it is? oh, stupid wikipedia. But still, I guess it's not the U.K. anyway.
Jero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2007, 04:35 AM   #36
KIWIKAAS
Registered User
 
KIWIKAAS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: The Hague
Posts: 4,522
Likes (Received): 752


Jero, minato ku, Kev D.
None of you have bothered to read the posts in this thread. We concluded some time ago that the photo has been photoshopped. That the license plate, exit sign and Mercedes make have been changed. It also apears that the photo has been mirrored and that the road markings are typical of the Uk. Conclusion the picture is a photoshopped image of a dual carrageway in the UK.
KIWIKAAS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2007, 11:10 AM   #37
DanielFigFoz
Registered User
 
DanielFigFoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: No fixed abode
Posts: 4,431
Likes (Received): 894

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevD View Post
Are you kidding? haha, its obviously in north america somewhere. I don't think you would ever see a car from pennsylvania in europe.
Here in Portugal I've seen several cars from New Jersey, one from Califonia and two from Massatuets.


It could also be photoshopped, yes it is I think the Reault Megane has a New Jersey number plate.

Edit: No it doesn't mabye a special Alberta Number plate "Wild Rose Country". Note the rose on the registaiton.

Last edited by DanielFigFoz; September 30th, 2007 at 11:16 AM.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2007, 05:10 PM   #38
wyqtor
Coexist
 
wyqtor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,129
Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCat View Post
Well, maybe you are right, but I have never seen a North American road with a white line in the middle. Not in practice, and not on pictures. If this is true, then it's very stupid and a MAJOR safety hazard, as on a two-lane road, I would assume that both lanes are into the same direction if they were separated with a white line. I don't think that this is the case in Canada. The only discrepancy in colour I've noticed is the separation of parking spaces - sometimes yellow lines are used, and other times white lines are used. Using a white line on such a major expressway, however, seems very unlikely to me.
I don't think it is a safety hazard as you say, but only because the carriageways are separated. Norway uses the same color scheme on its motorways as the one in this picture (all white), and yellow middle lines on 2-lane roads.

Unfortunately we in the EU don't have the luxury of yellow lines separating the different directions. But it's not THAT crucial. Still, I do imagine it would be quite confusing and hard to get accustomed to if they somehow changed the standard in American roads with only 2 lanes.
wyqtor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2007, 11:06 PM   #39
aswnl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: near Amsterdam (NL)
Posts: 932
Likes (Received): 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriszwolle View Post
What about Czechia? They use the "Exit" word too on their signs.
No, definitely not. They don't have this kind of exit-signs, and normally they are blue:
aswnl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2007, 11:14 PM   #40
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)
 
TheCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 1,358
Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyqtor View Post
I don't think it is a safety hazard as you say, but only because the carriageways are separated. Norway uses the same color scheme on its motorways as the one in this picture (all white), and yellow middle lines on 2-lane roads.

Unfortunately we in the EU don't have the luxury of yellow lines separating the different directions. But it's not THAT crucial. Still, I do imagine it would be quite confusing and hard to get accustomed to if they somehow changed the standard in American roads with only 2 lanes.
I am aware that many (most?) countries in the world don't use a yellow line, and I lived in such a country. I am referring to the fact that it's a safety hazard because it's in the US, where people are accustomed to another system
__________________
Check out my driving videos on Youtube | Please visit the Highways & Autobahns forum
TheCat no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 05:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium