daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 28th, 2007, 10:11 PM   #1
Westsidelife
LAL | LAD | LAK

Likes (Received): 168

LOS ANGELES | LAPD Headquarters | 10 fl | U/C

Function: Governmental Office | 200 Seat Cafe | 450 Seat Auditorium
Developer: N/A
Architect: DMJM H&N
Completion: 2009

LAPD Headquarters

The police headquarters that broke ground in January is now 35% complete, keeping the project on time and on budget, according to the Bureau of Engineering. A $231 million, 10-story replacement for Parker Center, being constructed by Sylmar-based Tutor-Saliba, is rising south of City Hall where crews are now erecting steel frames. It is part of a three-phase project expected to cost about $420 million by the time it is completed in 2009. The main site, bordered by Spring, Main, First and Second streets, will house the 500,000-square-foot headquarters. One block away on Main Street, an 800-car Motor Transportation Division facility is planned. The headquarters' design includes an open plaza facing First Street and a small, landscaped park at the corner of Second and Main streets, as well as a 300-car LAPD garage. Downtown-based DMJM is the architect.
- Los Angeles Downtown News

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Last edited by Westsidelife; August 7th, 2008 at 06:46 AM.
Westsidelife no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 28th, 2007, 10:11 PM   #2
Westsidelife
LAL | LAD | LAK

September 23, 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
LAPD Headquarters
This one shot up in no time. Already working on the 6th floor. The blue fence at the bottom is on the sidewalk, which gives you an idea how far this building is set back from the street. Granted, they're supposed to widen 2nd Street as part of this project, but damn.

The crane arm has been dropped down because someone snuck into the site at night and started playing with the crane, as well as making off with some electrical equipment. Ironic that the building that's supposed to be the most secure in this building boom is the one with the worst security.

Old September 29th, 2007, 04:45 AM   #3
hornnieguy

Likes (Received): 1

Someone should post some pics of those sexy LAPD cops...they are hot.
hornnieguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2007, 12:15 AM   #4
DAMN I m good
sould have been kazaaam !

Likes (Received): 8

Old October 6th, 2007, 01:21 AM   #5
Westsidelife
LAL | LAD | LAK

October 4, 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by fridayinla
image hosted on flickr

Last edited by Westsidelife; October 27th, 2007 at 10:58 AM.
Westsidelife no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2007, 02:07 AM   #6
WonderlandPark
nomadist

Likes (Received): 478

Its strange that they are building this as such a "standard" office building. If you have ever noticed a hospital going up, the use a ton more steel, everything is beefy and heavily braced. I would think that they would do this with the LAPD building, so it is survivable in the biggest of quakes. I saw much of a new wing on the hospital in Glendale go up, and it was only 5 stories, but much more stout looking, I beams were thick, and cross bracing was on every corner.
Old October 6th, 2007, 07:28 PM   #7
xlchris
Not much

Likes (Received): 201

It looks nice! But you have a strange building style in the USA!
Old October 7th, 2007, 12:00 AM   #8
Westsidelife
LAL | LAD | LAK

October 5, 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by FROM LOS ANGELES View Post
LAPD: just skyrocketted!
Old October 7th, 2007, 01:31 AM   #9
spicytimothy
...::HK.:.:.:.LA::...

Likes (Received): 7

our ticket dollars at work!
Old October 7th, 2007, 03:42 AM   #10
WonderlandPark
nomadist

Likes (Received): 478

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlchrisij View Post
It looks nice! But you have a strange building style in the USA!
The US and California in particular still build using steel construction in many cases. Is that what you are refering to? Steel is better in earthquakes. Large concrete towers are pretty new to construction in California.
Old October 7th, 2007, 09:50 AM   #11
CITYofDREAMS
The Place

Likes (Received): 179

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderlandPark View Post
The US and California in particular still build using steel construction in many cases. Is that what you are refering to? Steel is better in earthquakes. Large concrete towers are pretty new to construction in California.
It's much heavier... I would not be comfortable in one of those during an earthquake, that's all I can say.
Old October 21st, 2007, 09:11 AM   #12
Westsidelife
LAL | LAD | LAK

October 20, 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by petescafe View Post
Speaking of the Police. Here's a series of shots of the New Police Headquarters. The first shot is taken from 2nd and Main.

2nd and Spring.

1st and Main.

Old October 26th, 2007, 12:09 AM   #13
Gaeus
500-Internal Server Error

Likes (Received): 87

It's not Hollywood enough. They should put some Howitzers or Cannons in front of the HQ and maybe some camouflage paintings with anti-aircraft guns and Air to Air Missiles at the roof. And of course, the Gobernator statue in ala-Commando outfit in the entrance of the HQ.

The render looks great.
Old October 29th, 2007, 03:00 AM   #14
Westsidelife
LAL | LAD | LAK

October 28, 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
LAPD HQ

From earlier today. They've moved the crane over to the north end of the lot, hopefully to start work on the northern wing of the building. So far, only 2/3 of the building's footprint has been built, but that 2/3 is already topped out. Kind of a strange construction method if you ask me.

Old November 4th, 2007, 11:06 AM   #15
Westsidelife
LAL | LAD | LAK

November 1, 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAlossi
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old November 10th, 2007, 09:00 AM   #16
Westsidelife
LAL | LAD | LAK

Another $40 Million Hike for LAPD Headquarters

News Brief

The cost of the new LAPD headquarters being built in the Civic Center has jumped again, to nearly $437 million, and city officials say the budget could continue to escalate. Last month, the City Council approved an additional $40 million for the third phase of the project, a Motor Transport Division facility and LAPD parking garage. A report prepared by Chief Administrative Officer Karen Sisson and Chief Legislative Analyst Gerry Miller also warned that the project's price tag is expected to escalate again in coming months, because the city is still negotiating with the owners of the land where the third phase would be built. "Since land acquisition will not be completed until as late as April 2008, additional funds may need to be requested at that time," the report read in part. It is the latest cost increase for the project being built by contractor Tutor-Saliba. The development was initially approved by City Council in 2004 with a price tag of $300 million. The first phase - a 10-story police headquarters to replace nearby Parker Center - is more than 35% complete.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Source: Los Angeles Downtown News
Old November 17th, 2007, 06:32 AM   #17
Westsidelife
LAL | LAD | LAK

Editorial

Get a Handle on Police Headquarters

The cost of the Downtown LAPD headquarters facilities went up another $40 million recently, reaching a staggering $437 million. The city needs to get a handle on this fast, because with construction costs still rising, a half-billion dollar project is on the horizon.

This is about more than just gasping at government expenditures, or raising an uproar over how taxpayer funds are being spent. What is clear is that someone has not done enough homework, that cost analyses were incomplete, and that leadership has stumbled. In 2004, the City Council approved a budget of $300 million for the project.

We do not dispute the need for a replacement for Parker Center. The current headquarters opened more than 50 years ago, is outdated and in poor physical condition. Construction on a replacement facility should have started at least a decade ago. That would have helped keep the price down by tens if not hundreds of millions of dollars.

The project, rising in the Civic Center on the block bounded by First, Second, Main and Spring streets, was opposed early on by area stakeholders who wanted a park on the site. That should not have stymied the building, but it should have spurred city officials to ensure that everything was in order with the development. Even when a groundbreaking took place in January, there were publicly stated expectations that the price would rise.

The project, expected to open in 2009, includes not just the main building, but nearby support facilities, among them a parking garage. Land acquisition costs for those other elements is uncertain, prompting city officials to warn recently that the budget remains unsettled for the development being constructed by Tutor-Saliba.

No one expects budgets for mega-projects to stay steady throughout construction; the unpredictable price of steel alone was always a cause of concern. But when costs rise to this degree, something is wrong somewhere else, too. The problem is almost certainly what it always is: change orders. They are difficult to plan for and contractors do not adequately allow for change orders in bids.

It inevitably turns out that some hole in the ground requires four scoops, not three. Or clay is being excavated, not the gravel that had been anticipated. Every adjustment in the construction means a change order. Every change order costs money not just for the extra work, but also for the paperwork required to bill for it.

On every major public project in memory, there has been a failure to plan for the cost of change orders. Every inch of every mile of MTA subway tunnel, it seemed, had some level of change order. As it happens, this sometimes involved the same contractor who is working on the police headquarters, Tutor-Saliba. To be fair, any contractor may well have charged for work not specifically in a bid, though maybe not every shovelful. The solution? Let's start with the city assuming responsibility and making plans so we don't hit $500 million. Or maybe this is where City Controller Laura Chick makes another splash with an audit.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Source: Los Angeles Downtown News
Old November 17th, 2007, 07:11 AM   #18
Beware

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CITYofDREAMS View Post
It's much heavier... I would not be comfortable in one of those during an earthquake, that's all I can say.
Steel is, also, MUCH more expensive than reinforced concrete. Besides the West Coast (USA) building standards, due to frequent earthquakes, require greater construction materials than the rest of the U.S.
Beware no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2007, 09:36 PM   #19
Ralphkke
Carpe Diem

Likes (Received): 2

Nice project
Old November 19th, 2007, 12:43 AM   #20
Westsidelife
LAL | LAD | LAK

November 18, 2007

Quote: