daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old November 28th, 2007, 06:14 PM   #101
Dasein
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 42
Likes (Received): 0

Concerning the Statler renovations, there's a steady stream of dumpsters along W. Mohawk carting away stuff being removed from the building, so obviously something is going on inside. However, exterior renovations haven't started yet, which makes it seem like not much is going on with the project.
Dasein no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 28th, 2007, 06:16 PM   #102
Jerome
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Niagara Frontier
Posts: 1,824
Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasein View Post
Concerning the Statler renovations, there's a steady stream of dumpsters along W. Mohawk carting away stuff being removed from the building, so obviously something is going on inside. However, exterior renovations haven't started yet, which makes it seem like not much is going on with the project.
That's good, I hope he finally hired a local contractor - last I saw he was basically using local kids and day laborer's and not a real contracting firm - except for the elevator job.

Last edited by Jerome; November 28th, 2007 at 07:11 PM.
Jerome no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2007, 07:00 PM   #103
Spaulding97
Registered User
 
Spaulding97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Buffalo
Posts: 808
Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasein View Post
Concerning the Statler renovations, there's a steady stream of dumpsters along W. Mohawk carting away stuff being removed from the building, so obviously something is going on inside. However, exterior renovations haven't started yet, which makes it seem like not much is going on with the project.

What are they supposed to do on the exterior? I haven't heard anything about them changing it.
Spaulding97 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2007, 07:06 PM   #104
Dasein
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 42
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaulding97 View Post
What are they supposed to do on the exterior? I haven't heard anything about them changing it.
They are supposed to be replacing the windows, and there's also damage to the masonry that will need to be fixed.
Dasein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2007, 07:10 PM   #105
Spaulding97
Registered User
 
Spaulding97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Buffalo
Posts: 808
Likes (Received): 4

Gotcha, i was thinking drastic stuff.
Spaulding97 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2007, 11:09 PM   #106
Dimension
I have class
 
Dimension's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Spaulding Lake
Posts: 1,276
Likes (Received): 25

They are going to wait until summer because they need very nice weather to do the kind of work they are going to do to the masonry, like cleaning and filing in cracks and chips and all that. Thats why they only do stuff to city hall on the outside in summer.
Dimension no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2007, 06:12 AM   #107
Fishnat22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 40
Likes (Received): 1

bump. any untold news on landing that hotel tenant?
Fishnat22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2007, 04:54 AM   #108
Dimension
I have class
 
Dimension's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Spaulding Lake
Posts: 1,276
Likes (Received): 25

I think Hilton or I over heard on vacation here, a W Hotel(a stretch but possible).
Dimension no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2007, 09:32 AM   #109
Ebola
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: New York City
Posts: 1,658
Likes (Received): 94

I'm still hoping that this one goes up; I like almost everything about it and it will be great for NYS.
Ebola no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2007, 06:02 PM   #110
Dimension
I have class
 
Dimension's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Spaulding Lake
Posts: 1,276
Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebola View Post
I'm still hoping that this one goes up; I like almost everything about it and it will be great for NYS.
How so? To show people that there is stuff going o outside Albany and NYC?
Dimension no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2007, 04:48 AM   #111
Fishnat22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 40
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimension View Post
How so? To show people that there is stuff going o outside Albany and NYC?
Sort of a new era for the city, in my eyes.
Fishnat22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2007, 11:45 PM   #112
Jerome
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Niagara Frontier
Posts: 1,824
Likes (Received): 3

Stick a fork in this one - it ain't gonna happen. Issa = all flash, no pan. Over a year and not one signed lease! He proposes project after project in Buffalo and the UK yet has completed almost none of them. Owned the Statler for over a year no new tenants and the only tangible work done was to fix a couple of elevators.
__________________

Buffaboy liked this post

Last edited by Jerome; December 19th, 2007 at 04:06 PM.
Jerome no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2007, 04:40 PM   #113
Paul_Atreides
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 46
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome View Post
Stick a fork in this one - it ain't gonna happen. Issa = all flash, no pan. Over a year and not one signed lease! He proposes project after project in Buffalo and the UK yet has completed almost none of them. Owned the Statler for over a year no new tenants and the only tangible work done was to fix a couple of elevators.
Yes I can see your point because everything in Buffalo has a reputation for happening sssooohhh ffffaaasssttt

Palladinos Court Street Office Building....we have been talking about for how long
Bass Pro....how many years....
Federal Courthouse...how many years....
Richardson and Burchfield Penny were talked about for how many years...

Skyway, Peace Bridge, Graystone, Convention Center, St Vincents Orphanage, Light Rail, High Speed Rail, Traffic on Main Street....yup your right everything happens so fast here that Issa is obviously deserving of our contempt
Paul_Atreides no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2007, 05:06 PM   #114
Jerome
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Niagara Frontier
Posts: 1,824
Likes (Received): 3

I agree with you, this is one more project (in a depressingly long list) that ain't gonna happen. You forgot many others: the Corn Exchange Hotel, the indoor waterfront amusement park(e-zone I think it was called), the Elmwood Hotel, the new Convention Center in the Genesee street area, The Citicom Tower where Bernsteins Cigar Store stands, Adelphia Tower. Yup just add Issa to the ash heap of blowhards that propose things, have the Buffalo yokels puff up their ego's for a year or two then move on to real projects elsewhere once it becomes clear to everyone that their Buffalo project ain't gonna happen.
Jerome no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2007, 06:06 PM   #115
i_am_hydrogen
muted
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 7,080
Likes (Received): 203

Such a pessimistic attitude. Haven't you ever heard the song: "Don't Stop Believing"?
i_am_hydrogen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2007, 06:22 PM   #116
Jerome
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Niagara Frontier
Posts: 1,824
Likes (Received): 3

It would be different if this so-called developer had ever developed anything on the scale of his proposal, but he has not. After watching a revolving door of announced but never started projects in a City that had 610,000 people at the end of WW2 (the big one) but has less than 250,000 today, pessimism becomes realism. The last 20 storey plus building put up in Buffalo was completed in 1972. Although more than 30 have been proposed since that time.

Last edited by Jerome; December 19th, 2007 at 06:33 PM.
Jerome no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2007, 01:05 AM   #117
Dimension
I have class
 
Dimension's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Spaulding Lake
Posts: 1,276
Likes (Received): 25

I think he is serious. I mean, if he knew the project wasn't going to get off the ground after a while, I think he would have stopped visiting Buffalo because of the Tower.

As for his other projects, I think 3 are U/C now. So there is a little hope.
Dimension no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2007, 07:04 AM   #118
Jerome
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Niagara Frontier
Posts: 1,824
Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimension View Post
I think he is serious. I mean, if he knew the project wasn't going to get off the ground after a while, I think he would have stopped visiting Buffalo because of the Tower.

As for his other projects, I think 3 are U/C now. So there is a little hope.
I think he visits Buffalo because he likes people fawning over him. He feels like a big fish in a little pond.
Jerome no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2007, 11:40 PM   #119
Dimension
I have class
 
Dimension's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Spaulding Lake
Posts: 1,276
Likes (Received): 25

maybe, but then again. He is making his North American debut in Buffalo. So if this fails, other cities will look down on him for picking Buffalo and then failing on getting his project done in Buffalo.
Dimension no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2007, 06:22 AM   #120
Paul_Atreides
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 46
Likes (Received): 0

Frankly I think all this toxic pessimism and doubt about the city tower is just futile....if he builds it then thats wonderful and if he doesnt its not like buffalo has never experienced a cancelled or delayed project.

I think it will get built...if only because Buffalo has a shortage of Class A office space of this calibre....infact....we have no office space of this calibre.

its kind of like what comes first the chicken or the egg. We cant lure certain companies here without Issas Tower and having this tower will put Buffalo on the radar in certain real estate circles. Even if Issas tower isnt a full financial success it will be a success for Buffalo.

And as far as the Statler...save your whining and complaining until the grand opening of the Federal Court Building, which is going to change the dynamic of that whole area.

The toxic pessimism that absolutely every development has to be proven like doubting thomas putting his fingers into the wounds of jesus. I gotta say that if I were a developer then I could care less about proving anything because my entire focus would be on controlling costs, maintaining the profit forecasts, keeping the work on schedule and attracting customers (and attracting customers doesnt necessarily have to be that public knowledge.
Paul_Atreides no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu