daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 20th, 2008, 07:24 PM   #161
Dasein

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishnat22 View Post
But it's all an IF at this point man. I agree, this is possible when that market it there. But until we have those major projects completed, its not going to happen. Not only doesn't this guy have the money or the track record, he has no tenants.
Issa is a bit overzealous - we need to start with some smaller projects before we move on to a major tower like he is proposing. Things like 50 Court St. are a good start, as are all the loft conversions. As existing building get converted into more in-demand uses, it will create the pressure for bigger projects. Downtown Buffalo is making steady progress, but we're just not at the point yet where something like the City Tower is viable.
Dasein no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 21st, 2008, 12:58 AM   #162
Paul_Atreides
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishnat22 View Post
But it's all an IF at this point man. I agree, this is possible when that market it there. But until we have those major projects completed, its not going to happen. Not only doesn't this guy have the money or the track record, he has no tenants.
those tenants are coming....the canadian dollar is fluctuating in value to where it is actually worth more than the US dollar....which makes Buffalo actually cheaper for Canadian offices than canada!

Buffalo's day has arrived..and we better have office space read for them because their not going to wait...if they have to wait then its hello cleveland or pittsburgh.
Paul_Atreides no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2008, 01:53 AM   #163
Dimension
I have class

Likes (Received): 25

But there is Ellicott Square Building and HSBC Tower and other buildings that still have vacancies.
Dimension no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2008, 04:27 AM   #164
Jerome
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_Atreides View Post
those tenants are coming....the canadian dollar is fluctuating in value to where it is actually worth more than the US dollar....which makes Buffalo actually cheaper for Canadian offices than canada!
They are not coming. Realty USA tried in vain for over a year and a half to entice Caniadian companies to come to the Issa tower in Buffalo. A year and a half and not one taker, NOT ONE!!! No local takers either.

Thoughts of Canadian companies setting up shop in Buffalo were strongly rebuked by the Canadian companies. Plus, Bufalo is still more exensive to them than St Catherines or London, Ont. then there are all of the ever increasing border hassels. It ain't gonna happen.
Jerome no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2008, 05:26 AM   #165
bjfan82

Likes (Received): 1

^ welll not entirely accurate Jerome, they did get the local design firm Cannon Design to take something like 75k SF. Far too little to get the building under construction i know.
bjfan82 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2008, 06:22 AM   #166
Paul_Atreides
BANNED

just put jerome on ignore like I have....if it was up to jerome the entire city of buffalo would have shut down in the 1970s

I will say it again....the ellicott building wouldnt have problems if buildings like the LaFayette, the Liberty, the Greater Buffalo Savings Bank, the Touraine, etc etc etc were converted to residential.

those canadian companies with the strong dollar are buying US assets and they are expanding into the US market in ways that were never done in the past....and yes the border is an issue which is why canadian companies will follow LaBatts and establish separate operations in the US to which we can hope they will choose Buffalo because of its close proximity to their canadian headquarters.

They said canadians would never drive across the bridge to shop here and yet they are.

They said canadians would never drive across the bridge to use our airport and yet they are.

They said canadians would never drive across the bridge to go to college and yet they do.

Just because they havent come yet does not mean they arent coming.

Right now...a company called Acquest took millions of sqft of warehouse space in rochester rather than build in buffalo. why? Because rochester had class a new facilities for warehouse space in the millions of sqft move in ready. Geico originally bypassed Buffalo because they didnt want to build and we didnt have a move-in ready class a office space.

So I say this....if Buffalo continues its toxic pessimism then it is going to continue to get bypassed....in so many ways....Buffalo has to get move in ready space built and cannot continue to wait until class c and class b property are filled. Its the opposite....class c and class b needs to be converted to a useable space like residential and new space needs to be built.

Issas building may struggle and it may suffer but Buffalo will not get bypassed as it would without it...
Paul_Atreides no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2008, 06:24 PM   #167
Jerome
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjfan82 View Post
^ welll not entirely accurate Jerome, they did get the local design firm Cannon Design to take something like 75k SF. Far too little to get the building under construction i know.
They (Cannon) never actually committed which is why the full 600,00 sq ft is still listed as available on the Realty USA web site.
Old January 21st, 2008, 06:30 PM   #168
Jerome
BANNED

Quote:
the entire city of buffalo would have shut down in the 1970s
It basically did, which is why it has lost over 200,000 people since then.
Quote:
They said canadians would never drive across the bridge to shop here and yet they are.

They said canadians would never drive across the bridge to use our airport and yet they are.

They said canadians would never drive across the bridge to go to college and yet they do.
Actually no one ever said any of those things. They have been coming and going across the border freely for over 200 years. For business it is an entirely different set of issues which you are no doubt to naive to understand

Last edited by Jerome; January 22nd, 2008 at 11:48 PM.
Old January 23rd, 2008, 12:21 AM   #169
Dimension
I have class

Canadian businesses wont move in to Buffalo until the cost of doing business here is lower than it is now. Which might happen in the next 1-3 years if Spitzer comes through for you guys.
Old January 23rd, 2008, 03:39 PM   #170
Jerome
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimension View Post
Canadian businesses wont move in to Buffalo until the cost of doing business here is lower than it is now. Which might happen in the next 1-3 years if Spitzer comes through for you guys.
Well we can kill that idea. The budget he released yesterday increases taxes and fees by $1.4 BILLION.
Old January 23rd, 2008, 06:28 PM   #171
Dimension
I have class

Thats a shame. I heard that downstate officials want him to take money away from upstate and have the money go to their schools which need the money more than any other place.
Old January 23rd, 2008, 06:51 PM   #172
Jerome
BANNED

More insight into Issa

http://buffalopundit.wnymedia.net/blogs/archives/6160
Old January 23rd, 2008, 06:54 PM   #173
Dimension
I have class

I think it is safe to say the project is dead.
Old January 28th, 2008, 12:16 AM   #174
Dimension
I have class

posted by westcoastperspective on skyscraperpage.com posted 1/27/08
Old January 28th, 2008, 05:30 AM   #175
eMKay

Likes (Received): 224

Quote:
I think it is safe to say the project is dead.
Today's paper would suggest otherwise. I think I'll go with that.
eMKay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2008, 08:08 AM   #176
Kailyas

Likes (Received): 7

nice building
Old January 29th, 2008, 03:01 AM   #177
Jerome
BANNED

Quote:

posted by westcoastperspective on skyscraperpage.com posted 1/27/08
Unfortunately that insert was prepared nearly two week ago, by the news advertising department for yesterday's paper. - before all of Issa's house of cards began to fall. We shall see if a hotel opens in the Statler this Summer, that will say a lot about Issa's credibility.
Old January 29th, 2008, 05:22 PM   #178
Spaulding97

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome View Post
Unfortunately that insert was prepared nearly two week ago, by the news advertising department for yesterday's paper. - before all of Issa's house of cards began to fall. We shall see if a hotel opens in the Statler this Summer, that will say a lot about Issa's credibility.

How do you know that insert was prepared nearly two week ago? I thought you lived in Lockport?
Spaulding97 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2008, 07:32 PM   #179
Jerome
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaulding97 View Post
How do you know that insert was prepared nearly two week ago? I thought you lived in Lockport?
I don't live in Lockport. It was printed nearly 2 weeks ago and delivered to the vendors on the 21st. The add deadline for it was more than 3 weeks prior to it's delivery date so that alone should tell you how current it is. Ask your local 7-11 or Wilson Farms guy when they get the features sections for the Sunday paper. And with a major insert like the Prospectus the lead time is even longer. Remember they only have so much press capacity. Look at the Parade section a couple of weeks ago they had a cover story interview with someone that was dead over a month, but no mention of her death was made - because it's printed in advance.
Old March 16th, 2008, 03:46 AM   #180
Dimension
I have class

Website was launched not to long ago
http://www.buffalo-city-tower.com/

New Renders (Note the spire and glass):

New:

Old:

------------------
650-700 feet tall with the spire?