daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 18th, 2009, 04:40 PM   #461
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19415

The Swedes do the same: K÷penhamn
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 18th, 2009, 04:48 PM   #462
mlm
Member #109

Likes (Received): 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanT View Post
The Danes (we)should show a little bit more respect for the swedish town of Malm÷ and show it on the sign as it is called as well. It is not hard to guess but still not everyone who recognise the letter "ě" as "Í"
I don't think so. If the city has a Danish spelling we should write it like that. Same with Hamburg, it's written in Danish too (Hamborg) on the motorway signs on E45 if I remember correctly. I would think that's the way it's done in most countries.
mlm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2009, 04:55 PM   #463
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19415

Quote:
I would think that's the way it's done in most countries.
unfortunately, yes. the Netherlands is trying to turn that around by signing K÷ln, LiŔge, Aachen, etc, and Germany follows by replacing Arnheim and Nimwegen by Arnhem and Nijmegen. There is no use in using another language, to continue in the other country, you need to know the domestic name anyway. Translating is soooo 1950's when we didn't know other languages.

Malm° vs Malm÷ or Gand vs Gent isn't such a big problem, but Bergen vs Mons, BÚcs vs Wien, Celovec vs Klagenfurt or Rijsel vs Lille is a problem. I think they need to be consistent and sign the original name only.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2009, 05:03 PM   #464
snowman159

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlm View Post
I don't think so. If the city has a Danish spelling we should write it like that. Same with Hamburg, it's written in Danish too (Hamborg) on the motorway signs on E45 if I remember correctly. I would think that's the way it's done in most countries.
I actually prefer the native spelling on signs. In the cases of Malmo or Hamburg it's really no big deal, because they're so similar. However, Becs instead of Wien or Pressburg instead of Bratislava might cause some confusion. Luik instead of Liege can also be very irritating.

.... ok, I was a little late. Chris summed it up perfectly.
snowman159 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2009, 05:17 PM   #465
staff
囧!

Location: Hong Kong | Singapore | Melbourne | Malm÷ | Copenhagen | Shanghai
Likes (Received): 717

Don't forget that Malm÷ is originally a Danish city-- so "Malm°" is actually the correct original spelling.
Old October 18th, 2009, 05:54 PM   #466
mlm
Member #109

Likes (Received): 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
unfortunately, yes. the Netherlands is trying to turn that around by signing K÷ln, LiŔge, Aachen, etc, and Germany follows by replacing Arnheim and Nimwegen by Arnhem and Nijmegen. There is no use in using another language, to continue in the other country, you need to know the domestic name anyway. Translating is soooo 1950's when we didn't know other languages.

Malm° vs Malm÷ or Gand vs Gent isn't such a big problem, but Bergen vs Mons, BÚcs vs Wien, Celovec vs Klagenfurt or Rijsel vs Lille is a problem. I think they need to be consistent and sign the original name only.
Sure it could be a problem with your last examples. I don't think we have any of such cases here though. Actually I can't think of any other local spellings than Malm° and Hamborg that is in use on our motorways. G÷teborg/G°teborg maybe, close to Frederikshavn, but that's no problem either.
mlm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2009, 10:10 AM   #467
kosimodo
Mapmaker

Likes (Received): 372

In germany i found Apenrade

That is for the nonlocals... Aabenraa
Old October 19th, 2009, 11:15 AM   #468
Danielk2
DanielKK

Likes (Received): 2

Yeah, all countries screw up things when writing city names in their own language. All countries does it. e.g.: In Denmark there are signs for Flensborg, Hamborg, and Malm°.

And Denmarks neighbours has it as well:

Germany has signs for Pattburg (Padborg) and Apenrade (Aabenraa).

Sweden signs "K÷penhamn" on the entire E20 thru Malm÷.

All countries does it!
Old October 19th, 2009, 11:33 AM   #469
Nikolaj

Likes (Received): 77

On some of the very new signs on E45 in southern Jutland "Flensborg" has been changed to "Flensburg" like "Apenrade" and "Pattburg" has been changed to "Aabenraa" and "Padborg" on signs in Flensburg.

I believe I have seen in some newspaper article, that this change is because of regional cross border agreement, but I am not sure.
Nikolaj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2009, 03:56 PM   #470
Danielk2
DanielKK

Yeah i've seen signs with "Flensburg" in Denmark, but hundreds of older signs still have the danish "Flensborg" and "Hamborg". In Flensburg they also have signs with "Danmark".
Old November 12th, 2009, 03:58 PM   #471
Danielk2
DanielKK

Video of the Great Belt Bridge. From October 13 '09
Old November 13th, 2009, 02:32 PM   #472
kosimodo
Mapmaker

Likes (Received): 372

allways a nice ride Biggest bridge in Europe!

Nice 'speeded'! The toll comes very fast!!
Old November 13th, 2009, 03:57 PM   #473
SeanT
DK/H

Likes (Received): 63

yes, let┤s hope we┤re going to build the Kalundborg-┼rhus bridge too....I know in the present time, it┤s only a bold wish
...and the same time we can finish the motorway to Kalundborg( only expressway at present time) too.
SeanT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2009, 04:15 PM   #474
Nikolaj

Likes (Received): 77

Second part more likely than the first part, as motorway to Kalundborg has been approved in priciple by Parliament. Upgrade of first section is underway and will be complete in 2012, and design and EIA of next section will start in 2010.

As for the ┼rhus-Kalundborg bridge -I don't know how old You are (in your lifetime), but for the forseable future such a bridge is just not feasible. The current and foreseable amount traffic from Central and Northern Jutland towards Zealand/Copenhagen is just not big enough. Meaning that it wil not be possible to finance by user fees.

If and when The Great Belt Bridge will reach its max capacity it might be another matter,and then a Kattegat bridge could be a good idea instead of a parallel bridge at the Great Belt.
Nikolaj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2009, 04:33 PM   #475
SeanT
DK/H

Jeg ved det godt. De har snakket om brobilletter i 500 kroners klassen!!! Derfor mň jeg understrege: ěNSKETĂNKNING
I know it. That┤s why
I have to say: WHISFULL THINKING
Old November 14th, 2009, 12:00 AM   #476
Danielk2
DanielKK

The danish Minister of Transportation already rejected a such bridge. DAMN YOU... A Kattegat bridge would be great. You talk about 500kr to cross the bridge. The ferry costs 695kr (Ebeltoft/Odden). You would save 195kr by using the bridge. You could buy a lot for 195kr. DAMN YOU people from CPH not wanting a bridge
Old November 14th, 2009, 12:04 AM   #477
Danielk2
DanielKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosimodo View Post
allways a nice ride Biggest bridge in Europe!

Nice 'speeded'! The toll comes very fast!!
Thanks. You get tired of holding the camera all the time, when you're sitting in the backseat.
Old November 22nd, 2009, 09:55 PM   #478
SeanT
DK/H

I┤ve just red in our local newspaper that K°ge-bugt motorway will be widened between Greve and K°ge-junction with an extra lane, from 6 to 8 lanes. The work should start in the next 2 years.
Old November 23rd, 2009, 02:10 AM   #479
Fargo Wolf
Resident Smartass.

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanT View Post

Shot at 2009-10-14
I miss the non EU number plates. Those vehicles had the large nationality sticker on the rear of their (Usually a motorhome) vehicle. Most were from Germany or Switzerland. With the EU plates, the nationality of the vehicle is next to impossible to determine, unless it's parked. That's the one thing I like about my job doing manual traffic control, You get to see stuff like that.
Fargo Wolf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2009, 09:25 AM   #480
Fuzzy Llama
Puszysty samiec lamy.

Likes (Received): 8

I agree, now because the EU strip there is no way to distinguish between Danish and Swiss plates. Both looks exactly the same, with their European Union design... oh, wait...

And don't tell me that somebody working in 'manual traffic control' cannot distinguish German plate in the crowd. They look nothing like Danish, with the control stickers you can tell between them from 50 meters. Just admit, you prefer the plates of 'aliens' to be different so you can shoot them on sight

And about nationality oval - Why, for heavens sake most of DK ovals aren't white? They are just letters over the car's original colour. In some instances it can be impossible to tell the nationality of the car in country where Danish plates are not so common.
Fuzzy Llama no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
legoland