daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 1st, 2012, 12:53 PM   #981
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19428

Today 12 years ago

July 1, 2000: the Øresund Bridge opens to traffic, linking Denmark and Sweden.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 5th, 2012, 12:43 AM   #982
SeanT
DK/H

Likes (Received): 63

What about the upcoming route 21 expressway? Is it going to be a 2+2 or a single one? Big signs indicate that the danish goverment gives 1.6 billion DKK to this project. I saw these signs last weekend and last summer as well!
SeanT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2012, 12:44 AM   #983
SeanT
DK/H

Likes (Received): 63

Probably Holbæk-west - Vig expressway?
SeanT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2012, 12:51 PM   #984
Nikolaj

Likes (Received): 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanT View Post
Probably Holbæk-west - Vig expressway?
It will be 2+1 expressway, and the first Danish one with a cable barrier in the median. Cable barriers has been a no-go i Denmark since mid-90'es with some motorway accidents, where it was claimed that the cable barrier was the cause. All cable barriers/guardrails on Danish motorways were replaced with the usual steel guardrails, which since that has been standard equipment.
Nikolaj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2012, 04:03 PM   #985
ChrisZwolle
Road user

PR-21 Holbæk Motorway

The widening of the Primærrute 21 - Holbæk Motorway - has been completed this weekend. The motorway has been widened from 2x2 to 2x3 lanes, partially also 2x4 lanes. The widening took 3 years and has cost 2.2 billion DKK / € 295 million for 11 kilometers.

Old August 8th, 2012, 02:12 PM   #986
kosimodo
Mapmaker

Likes (Received): 372

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I was thinking about expressways. Most countries have 4-lane, grade-separated expressways. Denmark doesn't have such roads to my knowledge, except maybe for a short section of Primærrute 9 in Svendborg. Is there a particular reason for this "all or nothing" phenomenon?

I'm not aware of any 4-lane, divided & grade-separated motortrafikvejer.
South of Viborg, RNR 26; Hillerød, RNR 19 are other examples
Old August 13th, 2012, 02:33 PM   #987
Nikolaj

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosimodo View Post
South of Viborg, RNR 26; Hillerød, RNR 19 are other examples
Route 26 south of Viborg is not an expressway (motortrafikvej). It has dual carriageway (4-lanes), but only partly grade separated.

Route 19 around Hlillerød is an expressway (motortrafikvej), but not dual carriageway (as far as i remember)
Old August 13th, 2012, 03:02 PM   #988
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Primærrute 19 is a 1x2 / 2+1 road near Hillerød. The 2x2 section starts at the southern exit of Allerød. Motorway status also begins at this point.
Old August 13th, 2012, 03:30 PM   #989
metacatfry

Likes (Received): 22

Are you confusing route 19 with 16? Route 19 does not pass very close to Allerød, and is only briefly 2x2 at one or two grade separated intersections. Route 19 goes north of Hillerød. It is signed as a 'motortrafikvej', and it does have sections that are not grade separated.
metacatfry no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2012, 03:39 PM   #990
ChrisZwolle
Road user

You're right.

Primærrute 19 has only a very short 2x2 section at the PR6 interchange. It's less than 500 meters long.

There is also a 2x2, grade-separated section of Primærrute 9 in Svendborg. It's not motorway status, but also not an expressway.

I think that would establish there are no 2x2, grade-separated expressways in Denmark?
Old August 13th, 2012, 05:34 PM   #991
metacatfry

Likes (Received): 22

Sounds right to me. As to your original question about why this is; as I see it, the purpose of designating a road a motorway or an expressway is to indicate to drivers that special conditions apply, so you see the motorway sign, and you know that a different maximum speed is allowed than on the general road network, and that no stopping is allowed, for example. An expressway is the same just with slightly different (worse) conditions and hence a lower speed, but still sufficiently different design speeds from the general road network that special rules apply. Different countries put the standards for expressways at different levels, in Denmark a 'motortrafikvej' is just a bit closer in design to an ordinary main road than it is in, say, Poland, where the differences also seem to cover factors other than the technical features of the road.
metacatfry no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2012, 06:36 PM   #992
ChrisZwolle
Road user

PR-15 Bording - Funder

August 31 is the opening date for 12 kilometers of Primærrute 15 between Bording and Funder, between the larger cities of Herning and Silkeborg. This is a 2x2 motorway and part of the larger Silkeborg bypass which is currently under construction.

The new motorway includes the Funder Ådalsbro, the largest land bridge in Denmark. It spans 740 meters and is 30 meters high. I took a photo of it last year:
image hosted on flickr

Funder Adalsbro 2011 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr
Old August 14th, 2012, 09:51 PM   #993
mlm
Member #109

Likes (Received): 115

I don't think it was mentioned here but in week 30 another 8 ½ KM of motorway was opened on route 18 on the strech between Ølholm and Riis (10 ½ KM). The last 2 km, and the final strech to Vejle, will open late 2013.

The news in Danish: Nu åbner del af motorvej mellem Riis og Ølholm
mlm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2012, 09:58 PM   #994
ChrisZwolle
Road user

that infamous road that already looked like a motorway.

image hosted on flickr

PR18-13 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

I've read an interesting story about it. Apparently there was a maze in Danish road law, that a divided highway not necessarily meant a central divider or 2x2 lanes. So when they contracted to build a motorway, the contractor built this 1x2 road with a very narrow gap between both lanes (1 cm, just visible on the photo). The Danish government sued the contractor because he only built half a motorway, but the contractor eventually won the case. After that, the road law was amended.

Not sure if this is true though. It would've been a truly unique case.
Old August 14th, 2012, 10:00 PM   #995
kosimodo
Mapmaker

Likes (Received): 372

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlm View Post
I don't think it was mentioned here but in week 30 another 8 ½ KM of motorway was opened on route 18 on the strech between Ølholm and Riis (10 ½ KM). The last 2 km, and the final strech to Vejle, will open late 2013.
not the final.. Around Brande is under construction to!! Then the motorway to Herning is finished
Old August 14th, 2012, 11:27 PM   #996
mlm
Member #109

Likes (Received): 115

Oh yes of course. Was thinking of the final part from the newly opened part to E45.
mlm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2012, 06:09 AM   #997
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by metacatfry View Post
Are you confusing route 19 with 16?....
Quote:
You're right.

;-)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2012, 10:07 AM   #998
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Likes (Received): 1408

Quote:
Today 12 years ago
July 1, 2000: the Øresund Bridge opens to traffic, linking Denmark and Sweden.
This year traffic is decreasing drastically on the bridge, mainly because of the number of danes/swedes living or working in either DK/S is declining.

The highest numbers of cars passing through was in the year 2006.

This also concerns the railway traffic. I dont think anything changed on the Stora Bält-Bridge, is traffic increasing ? At least that bridge is not dependent on
commuters and economic change.
NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2012, 11:21 AM   #999
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I happened to check out the numbers last week.

Old August 15th, 2012, 01:39 PM   #1000
Nikolaj

Quote:
that infamous road that already looked like a motorway.

image hosted on flickr

PR18-13 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

I've read an interesting story about it. Apparently there was a maze in Danish road law, that a divided highway not necessarily meant a central divider or 2x2 lanes. So when they contracted to build a motorway, the contractor built this 1x2 road with a very narrow gap between both lanes (1 cm, just visible on the photo). The Danish government sued the contractor because he only built half a motorway, but the contractor eventually won the case. After that, the road law was amended.

Not sure if this is true though. It would've been a truly unique case.
I am afraid that this story can best be described as a hoax.
In the Construcion Bill (bill no. 1998/483 - approved by Parliament July 1st, 1998) it was clearly stated that the road is to be constructed as a Motortrafikvej https://www.retsinformation.dk/Forms....aspx?id=87616
Further in the notes to the the proposed bill https://www.retsinformation.dk/Forms....aspx?id=81398
it is noted that the road shall be a 2-lane motortrafikvej with a total width of 15 m (Vejen anlægges som facadeløs to-sporet motortrafikvej med 8,0 m bred kørebane og 2,5 m brede nødspor, i alt 15 m kronebredde).
After some deliberation it was accepted by the then Minister of Transport, who was fiercely against motorways that the bridges on the new motortrafikvej should be prepared for a future widening to a full motorway.

Tags
legoland