daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 13th, 2013, 02:14 PM   #1101
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Likes (Received): 1408

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiG View Post
It is 215 driving kilometres longer than the "ferry route" to the Horster Dreieck where the routes merge. Because of the waiting and crossing times on the ferry route, there is no much difference in time.
It's not a matter of money or time when comparing the choise of a bridge or a ferry, because in the end both factors are somewhat the same.

The bridges mean longer drive= additional time & extra gas money.

The ferries mean longer waiting and additional cost but less driving=less gas money but higher cost.

That cost equals the gas money for the longer drive but you will get a break on the ferry.

You have to add pauses into your long driving schedule. When using the ferry your car is moving while you have your lunchbreak. It's much more pleasant to rest on the ferry than to stop along a noisy motorway.
NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 13th, 2013, 02:18 PM   #1102
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19427

It's a matter of preference really. At the ferry you are forced to take a break. Maybe you don't want to take a break at that time. Not everyone uses the ferry at lunchtime. Some people may have been driving for only one hour when they take the ferry. Stopping along the motorway gives you plenty of options that fit according to your schedule, instead of a forced break at the ferry.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2013, 09:46 PM   #1103
MattiG

Likes (Received): 619

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordikNerd View Post
It's not a matter of money or time when comparing the choise of a bridge or a ferry, because in the end both factors are somewhat the same.

The bridges mean longer drive= additional time & extra gas money.

The ferries mean longer waiting and additional cost but less driving=less gas money but higher cost.

That cost equals the gas money for the longer drive but you will get a break on the ferry.

You have to add pauses into your long driving schedule. When using the ferry your car is moving while you have your lunchbreak. It's much more pleasant to rest on the ferry than to stop along a noisy motorway.
Well, well...

As said, on my vacations, the other things are the decision making drivers than savings in pennies, minutes or kilometres. If I want to save them then I stay home.

A lunch on the Rødby-Puttgarden ferry is far from being a culinary experience of any class. The trip duration is 45 minutes only, and that allows a quick sandwich in a lousy cafeteria. If small kids follow, 45 minutes is equal to about nothing. No go.

As far as I know, Denmark is full of nice places to have a lunch. There are other roads in Denmark than the motorways, too. Be brave and take the next exit!
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2013, 02:28 PM   #1104
OulaL

Likes (Received): 121

Is it risky to try the Rødby-Puttgarden-ferry with no reservation?

It's not a big problem in Helsingborg - if the lines are too long, you can simply return to the motorway and drive to the bridge. But from Rødby it's a relatively long way back to E20.
OulaL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2013, 03:01 PM   #1105
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Likes (Received): 1408

Quote:
Originally Posted by OulaL View Post
Is it risky to try the Rødby-Puttgarden-ferry with no reservation?

It's not a big problem in Helsingborg - if the lines are too long, you can simply return to the motorway and drive to the bridge. But from Rødby it's a relatively long way back to E20.
The only time a reservation is needed is when the Roskilde festival is going on, otherwise there is no risk to miss the ferry.

BUT getting a reservation 14 days in advance will save money. A normal ticket without reservation costs about 75 EUR one way. If you buy online 14 days before departure you pay about 58 EUR.

This ferry takes only 45 min but is outrageously expensive.
NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2013, 09:00 PM   #1106
Victorinus
GOES - NL

Likes (Received): 343

Reservation is indeed not necessary, the main waiting time is not more then one hour, even in the summer.
Victorinus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2013, 10:52 PM   #1107
OulaL

Likes (Received): 121

Thanks for the info!
OulaL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2013, 08:37 PM   #1108
bongo-anders

Likes (Received): 3605

The concept for the intersection Between Sydmotorvejen (E47 and E55) and the new motorway to Næstved.

bongo-anders no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2013, 10:13 PM   #1109
ADP

Likes (Received): 4

The Danish Road Directorate had invited citizens, local politicians and others who were
interested, to a public meeting in Toksværd at Holme Olstrup. During this meeting, it
was decided that the possible motorway (Næstvedmotorvejen) should be connected by
a interchange (Motorvejskryds Rønnede) near the outskirts of Rønnede, by the upcoming
business area of Eco Park, near the South Motorway (Sydmotorvejen).

At the same time, both municipalities, and politicians will work for the completion of the
motorway in approx. 10 years in 2023.

In Danish :

http://www.sn.dk/Der-gaar-10-aar-foe...artikel/250776

Last edited by ADP; January 23rd, 2013 at 02:06 AM.
ADP no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2013, 01:16 PM   #1110
metacatfry

Likes (Received): 22

I don't like putting the connections to the local road network so close to a interchange between motorways. It leads to hectic decision making by motorists about what exit/direction to take.
metacatfry no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2013, 11:18 PM   #1111
bongo-anders

Likes (Received): 3605

Yeah its a tight fit.
bongo-anders no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2013, 10:53 AM   #1112
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I don't think it's really a problem with the traffic volumes in that area.
Old January 21st, 2013, 01:05 PM   #1113
metacatfry

I don't really either. It's just an instinctual or aesthetic dislike. I'm sure it'll be fine with the low traffic as you say.
Old January 30th, 2013, 09:16 PM   #1114
ChrisZwolle
Road user

E20 Storebælt Bridge

I made a little graph of the Great Belt Bridge traffic volumes, using the latest data that includes 2012. As you can see it has nearly recovered from the recession in terms of traffic volumes. The 2012 average daily volume was 29 850 vehicles per day. 2012 volumes were only up by 0.7% though.

Old January 30th, 2013, 09:32 PM   #1115
ChrisZwolle
Road user

E20 Øresund Bridge

The traffic volumes of the Øresund Bridge between Denmark and Sweden show a slightly different development. After a first few years of relative stagnation, a rapid growth followed, eventually leading to a topping out during the recession. The Øresund Bridge however, has shown declining volumes in 2011 and 2012, in contrast with the Storebælt Bridge which showed traffic growth. The average traffic volume in 2012 was 18 540 vehicles per day, down by 3.2% compared to 2011.

Old January 31st, 2013, 04:45 PM   #1116
RV

Likes (Received): 275

Assuming it's a bridge between two metropolitan areas just 10 Kms from eachother the traffic volumes on the Oresund bridge are really low.
RV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2013, 05:26 PM   #1117
metacatfry

The traffic across Øresund is shaped by the differences in economic development between DK and SWE. When unemployment was low in DK and house prices in SWE were low it was very beneficial to live on one side and work on the other. But things have changed, and economic differences has evened out, house prices in DK has come down and the Scanian job market has improved.
Coupled with the bureaucratic hurdles of living in one country and working in another, and the high bridge fares, fever people find it attractive to commute over the Sound. Still many that do though, and of course, many take the train rather than car.

Also, the distance between the center of Malmö and Copenhagen is more like 30 kilometers. I think the commuting figures are pretty decent for this distance.
Old January 31st, 2013, 05:33 PM   #1118
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Don't forget that daily users of the Øresund Bridge pay only about 10% of the regular tolls.
Old January 31st, 2013, 06:04 PM   #1119
metacatfry

Yeah, if you are a commuter, the cost is a fairly minor factor I think. A bigger hassle is figuring out all the taxation issues, and entitlements like child care and health care. And there's the language differences obviously, however much we Scandinavians like to think we are all the same, it does introduce a barrier. so I wouldn't quite compare commuting between Cph and Malmö to cities lying in the same country.
Old January 31st, 2013, 08:35 PM   #1120
MattiG

Likes (Received): 619

Quote:
Originally Posted by metacatfry View Post
And there's the language differences obviously, however much we Scandinavians like to think we are all the same, it does introduce a barrier. so I wouldn't quite compare commuting between Cph and Malmö to cities lying in the same country.
This is interesting.

The Swedish language is a mandatory subject in the schools in Finland. This is justified by a number of reasons, like the country being bilingual (5% Swedish speaking minority and bilingual areas being less than 5% of the total) and the Scandinavian heritage (Finland being under the rule of Sweden for several hundreds of years). The key marketing point is that if you learn Swedish, you will understand people from Denmark and Norway, too. Not true.

Earlier, I believed the speech disorders called Scanian and Danish (sorry guys, cannot resist) are about the same language. During the construction time of the Öresund bridge, I happened to read an article in some local newspaper in Malmö telling me that the language barrier between Malmö and Copenhagen might jeopardize the birth of the commuting area across the cities. That was a big surprise to me after all that marketing Swedish as the Lingua Franca across the Scandinavia.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
legoland