daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 16th, 2013, 05:22 PM   #1261
javimix19

Likes (Received): 1328

Hi I have a question:

- If you want to go between Copenhagen and Berlin for example what route is the best?

Go to Jutland or cross Fehmarn Strait? If I go to Jutland there are a lot of kilometres. But if I go to the strait there are regular ferries to go with your car?
javimix19 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 16th, 2013, 05:25 PM   #1262
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19427

There are frequent ferries in both directions. It's one of the most heavily used ferry routes in Europe. However overall it makes little difference in time and cost whether you take the bridge route or ferry route. If you drive a diesel car, the bridge route is cheaper (the higher amount of kilometers has less impact). I prefer the flexibility of the bridge route, others like the break on the ferry.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

javimix19 liked this post
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2013, 09:14 AM   #1263
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

My boss has always made us use the ferry. (Puttgarden to Roedby and Helsingor to Helsingborg.)

I think it works out a bit cheaper in a van...
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2013, 10:52 AM   #1264
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Likes (Received): 1408

Quote:
Originally Posted by javimix19 View Post
Hi I have a question:

- If you want to go between Copenhagen and Berlin for example what route is the best?

Go to Jutland or cross Fehmarn Strait? If I go to Jutland there are a lot of kilometres. But if I go to the strait there are regular ferries to go with your car?
You dont need the Fehmarn strait. If you choose the ferry you choose Gedser-Warnemunde. If you choose the StoreBält bridge you will have an 330km extra drive (434km or 763km.) Storebelt bridge is 280DKK=37 EUR. Gedser-ferry booked in advance~80EUR. Petrol to spend on 330km ~43EUR.

I think it's almost even, both costs and time. I would definately pick the ferry. After a long drive you are exhausted and want to take a rest, have a cup of coffee and some fresh air. The ferry is like a rolling rest area. My advice take the ferry !

Berlin-Copenhagen: Drive to Rostock and take the ferry Rostock(Warnemunde)-Gedser.

The ferries Puttgarden-Rödby & Warnemunde-Gedser are very expensive compared to other ferries in the Baltic. A one direction trip 5 ppl+car, 45min on the sea equals ca 75EUR. The Gedser ferry costs about 115EUR

If you book at least 14 days in advance there is a 30% discount.

If you buy something at the bordershop and only stay a couple of hours, you can travel Rödby-Puttgarden both directions for less than 50 EUR.
You pay full price but get money back on the return-trip if you show the receit from the bordershop.

image hosted on flickr

javimix19 liked this post

Last edited by NordikNerd; August 17th, 2013 at 11:14 AM.
NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2013, 11:13 AM   #1265
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Ah Copenhagen - Berlin, I thought Copenhagen - Hamburg. In that case, I think the ferry via Gedser is indeed the best option, the detour via the bridges is very long and a detour via Rødby - Puttgarden is unnecessary since you're taking a ferry already.

A Gedser - Rostock Bridge was considered, but the length is quite long and economic ties between Denmark and Western Europe are tighter than between Denmark and Central Europe. The Femern Strait has proven traffic volumes to construct a bridge or tunnel, but the Gedser route does not (I don't know exact ferry data, but according to traffic counts, there are only 2.800 vehicles per day on E55 north of Gedser, which includes traffic with an origin or destination in Gedser itself).
Old August 17th, 2013, 11:25 AM   #1266
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Ah Copenhagen - Berlin, I thought Copenhagen - Hamburg. In that case, I think the ferry via Gedser is indeed the best option, the detour via the bridges is very long and a detour via Rødby - Puttgarden is unnecessary since you're taking a ferry already.

Actually if you have a fuel-efficient car the route Berlin-Puttgarden-Copenhagen is an alternative, because the Puttgarden-Rödby ferry is about 30% cheaper than the Gedser ferry.

Berlin-Puttgarden-Copenhagen: 587 km
Berlin-Gedser-Copenhagen: 447 km
Old August 19th, 2013, 11:25 AM   #1267
Nikolaj

Likes (Received): 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordikNerd View Post
You dont need the Fehmarn strait. If you choose the ferry you choose Gedser-Warnemunde. If you choose the StoreBält bridge you will have an 330km extra drive (434km or 763km.) Storebelt bridge is 280DKK=37 EUR. Gedser-ferry booked in advance~80EUR. Petrol to spend on 330km ~43EUR.

I think it's almost even, both costs and time. I would definately pick the ferry. After a long drive you are exhausted and want to take a rest, have a cup of coffee and some fresh air. The ferry is like a rolling rest area. My advice take the ferry !

Berlin-Copenhagen: Drive to Rostock and take the ferry Rostock(Warnemunde)-Gedser.

The ferries Puttgarden-Rödby & Warnemunde-Gedser are very expensive compared to other ferries in the Baltic. A one direction trip 5 ppl+car, 45min on the sea equals ca 75EUR. The Gedser ferry costs about 115EUR

If you book at least 14 days in advance there is a 30% discount.

If you buy something at the bordershop and only stay a couple of hours, you can travel Rödby-Puttgarden both directions for less than 50 EUR.
You pay full price but get money back on the return-trip if you show the receit from the bordershop.

image hosted on flickr
Just a slight correction: The Gedser-Warnemünde ferry has been closed for the last 20 years. The ferry connection from Gedser lands in Rostock Überseehafen just at the end of the A19/E55 motorway towards Berlin.
Nikolaj está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2013, 04:55 PM   #1268
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The first 6.5 kilometers of the new Kalundborgmotorvej (Primærrute 23) will open on August 27. It runs from the former Tølløse exit of PR-21 (Holbækmotorvejen, which is now a motorway-to-motorway interchange) to Kvanløse.
Old August 21st, 2013, 08:47 AM   #1269
SeanT
DK/H

Likes (Received): 63

I was driving from Holbæk to Ringsted the other day and I noticed that the old expressway is now motorway -towards Copenhagen but still expressway to Kalundborg.
SeanT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2013, 12:47 PM   #1270
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Road map of Denmark in 1941.

Old August 24th, 2013, 04:05 PM   #1271
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Exonym of the Day: Elsinore!

(I thought that went out of fashion after Shakespeare...)

But that printer needs the capability to show those Os-with-slashes-through-them.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2013, 05:39 PM   #1272
Heico-M

Likes (Received): 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
But that printer needs the capability to show those Os-with-slashes-through-them.
In those days it was quite common to use Ö instead of Ø, Ä instead of Æ and AA instead of Å.

Sweden still uses Ä and Ö.

In today's Danish, AA is only allowed in names.
Heico-M no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2013, 05:50 PM   #1273
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Exonym of the Day: Elsinore!

(I thought that went out of fashion after Shakespeare...)
Apparently Elsinore is still used, but hardly ever mentioned, because, what news is there about Helsingør that makes the international media today? Pretty much nothing.

It's time to build that proposed tunnel and motorring 5. That would allow for extremely good access to the rest of Scandinavia. Motorring 5 would only make sense as a tax-funded road, but the tunnel to Helsingborg could easily be tolled to raise the money needed to construct the link.
Old August 24th, 2013, 06:20 PM   #1274
Galro
Humanity through Urbanity

Likes (Received): 10083

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heico-M View Post
In those days it was quite common to use Ö instead of Ø, Ä instead of Æ and AA instead of Å.

Sweden still uses Ä and Ö.

In today's Danish, AA is only allowed in names.
I believe Denmark first (at least officially) introduced the Å in 1948. I'm unsure about the Ø and Æ though.
Galro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2013, 10:01 AM   #1275
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Road map of Denmark in 1941.
Isnt that a railway map ?

One interesting aspect here is the opening of the Lillebelt bridge in 1935.

Before that, Assens was an important harbour for the ferries from Fyn to Jutland.

The city prospered, the population was growing and buisness was going well. After the opening of the bridge Assens lost a great deal of its importance.

I also believe that the cities of Nyborg and Korsör lost buisness when the Storebelt bridge opened. Motorway travellers dont stop there for shopping anymore.
Old August 25th, 2013, 10:39 AM   #1276
ChrisZwolle
Road user

That's the price of moving forward. The last segments of the Interstate Highways in the western U.S. to open were all the bypasses around towns, because they would lose a lot of business from travelers.

It looks like a railroad map, even though the site said it was a road map. You can also see other fixed railway links, such as the Oddesund Bridge and the Storstrøm Bridge, which opened in the 1930s.
Old August 25th, 2013, 06:34 PM   #1277
Fender56

Likes (Received): 528

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordikNerd View Post
Isnt that a railway map ?
It must be a combination of rail and roads, because there has never been a railway between Varde and Bramming!

Correct me if i´m wrong, i´ve never heard about it. Could be it was planned then but never build?

Old August 26th, 2013, 02:50 PM   #1278
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The Copenhagen congestion charge is now scrapped by the minister who previously campaigned in favor of it.

http://jyllands-posten.dk/politik/EC...talingsringen/

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

devo liked this post
Old August 27th, 2013, 01:36 PM   #1279
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The Swedish city of Landskrona has proposed to build a tunnel under the Øresund to Copenhagen. They specifically mention the Nordhavn area. A tunnel between these points would be circa 22 - 23 kilometers long. It would be in addition to the Øresund Connection (E20) and the proposed HH-connection (E47).

I doubt if such a tunnel is viable. It will have a very high cost due to its significant length and will attract only local traffic. There is no good connection to the motorways around Copenhagen. They should focus on getting the Helsingør-Helsingborg Tunnel constructed.

The HH-connection could serve both road and rail traffic and will bypass Copenhagen when combined with the proposed Motorring 5. This will greatly improve access for both road and rail to the Scandinavian peninsula. The current rail route through Copenhagen is congested and slow. Motorring 5 + HH-connection will reduce distance by 40 kilometers.
Old August 27th, 2013, 09:12 PM   #1280
SeanT
DK/H

Likes (Received): 63

...The HH tunnel. I´ve been living in DK for the past 20 years and those plans keep popping up from nowhere ....and disapear there too from time to time.
SeanT no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
legoland