daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 5th, 2014, 11:15 PM   #1381
RV

Likes (Received): 275

Why are all Scandinavian/Baltic countries expanding their roads, except Finland...
RV no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 6th, 2014, 01:42 PM   #1382
Heico-M

Likes (Received): 115

Too few people, too much wood *hehe*
Heico-M no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2014, 10:34 PM   #1383
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19415

Has it ever been proposed to turn O4 between Ballerup and PR-16/Hillerødmotorvejen into a four-lane road?

The current road is two-lane undivided, but has a very wide carriageway (10-11 meters) and intersections already feature 2x2 lanes. It appears to be possible to widen the road to four-lane undivided (perhaps even 2x2 with a barrier). There is about 20 meters of space between the bike paths.

ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2014, 10:43 PM   #1384
kalaha

Likes (Received): 63

There is current proposal to extend the motorway some of the way (I think it is to Sortemosevej), but not all the way, as it will take up too much area and will be too complex regarding the benefits.

The proposal is although only on strategic analysis level so far.
kalaha no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2014, 10:34 AM   #1385
Nikolaj

Likes (Received): 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Has it ever been proposed to turn O4 between Ballerup and PR-16/Hillerødmotorvejen into a four-lane road?

The current road is two-lane undivided, but has a very wide carriageway (10-11 meters) and intersections already feature 2x2 lanes. It appears to be possible to widen the road to four-lane undivided (perhaps even 2x2 with a barrier). There is about 20 meters of space between the bike paths.

A recent report from Ministry of Transport summarizing a number of strategic studies proposes to extending the Ring 4 motorway to Sortemosevej http://www.trm.dk/~/media/Files/Publ...yser%20rep.pdf p.61 and http://www.trm.dk/~/media/Files/Publ...korridoren.pdf (Ringway 4 Report) and widening the remaining section until Route 16 Motorway /Hillerød Motorway to a 2+2 divided road without grade separated junctions. It is concluded that a full motorway until Route 16 is not feasible (to costly) especially because a full junction with Route 16 will require to much build-up land.
Nikolaj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2014, 04:04 PM   #1386
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Yes, I didn't mean a motorway, but simply a widening of the existing road to a four-lane urban arterial with traffic lights. This appears to be possible within the existing right of way.

Another idea is that Motorring 5 would relieve O4 from through traffic, depending on how far Motorring 5 will be from O4.
Old April 11th, 2014, 11:29 AM   #1387
Nikolaj

It appears from the report from Ministry of Transport that they are going for a Ring 4 upgrade (partly motorway and partly 2+2) as a short term and cheap solution (only 120 Mio. Euro) and then perhaps a Ring 5 in a longer term perspective, perhaps starting with a southern section from Køge (E20/E47) until Route 21 towards Roskilde or The new Route 17 motorway towards Frederikssund (partly under construction). The northern section of Ring 5 is the environmentally most problematic section, and least needed section.
Old April 12th, 2014, 11:21 PM   #1388
bongo-anders

Likes (Received): 3605

I think that the northern part of Ring 5 will only get build if they build the HH tunnel.
bongo-anders no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2014, 05:33 PM   #1389
ChrisZwolle
Road user

E45 Kolding

Shoulder running will be applied to E45 around Kolding. It should become operational by summer 2014. This is the second location in Denmark with shoulder running.

map:
Old May 1st, 2014, 06:09 PM   #1390
sponge_bob

Likes (Received): 2207

What is the speed limit on Danish 2+2 , is it 100kph and of a similar spec to Swedish/Finnish 2+2 ???
sponge_bob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2014, 06:25 PM   #1391
ChrisZwolle
Road user

You mean four-lane, non motorways? Roads like that are pretty rare outside urban areas.

The general rural speed limit in Denmark is 80 km/h. There are a few 90 km/h stretches on 2+1 / 2x2 but they are fairly rare compared to other countries. I am not aware of any 100 zones.
Old May 1st, 2014, 09:39 PM   #1392
sponge_bob

Quote:
You mean four-lane, non motorways? Roads like that are pretty rare outside urban areas.
Not in Sweden or Finland. They are built instead of 1+1 on National Roads in rural areas that do not justify a motorway. The entire carriageway is c 18m across inc median. Much of western Denmark is pretty rural.

EG > http://goo.gl/maps/myZ9X
Old May 1st, 2014, 09:43 PM   #1393
Shifty2k5

Likes (Received): 157

I found a video of the recently opened Rute 21 in north-western Sjælland. It features a 2+1 design for most of its length, which is rather uncommon in Denmark.

Here's a video of a Swedish 2+1 (and 2+2) for comparison.
Shifty2k5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2014, 10:10 PM   #1394
Ingenioren

Likes (Received): 585

It's a test for new road standards, it's also the first time since 90s a new road is fitted with wire-barrier in Denmark.
Old May 1st, 2014, 10:14 PM   #1395
sponge_bob

Most Swedish 2+1 roads are retrofits of former wide 1+1 , Ireland will no longer build 2+1 although they may consider 2+1 as a retrofit standard.

The land take difference between 2+2 and 2+1 (both new build options) is only 3.5m more anyway and less at 80kph where you might even consider 3.25m wide lanes.
Old May 2nd, 2014, 11:54 AM   #1396
Nikolaj

Quote:

The general rural speed limit in Denmark is 80 km/h. There are a few 90 km/h stretches on 2+1 / 2x2 but they are fairly rare compared to other countries. I am not aware of any 100 zones.
New 2+2's in Denmark are generally built as full motorways (standard 29 m profile/130 km/h). Next step from full motorway (if new road) is normally a 2+1 expressway/motortrafikvej (16 m standard/90 km/h). However according to the newest standards from 2013 http://vejregler.lovportaler.dk/Show...abent2013#pkt5 - a 2+2 standard exists. It is a 19 m/90 km/h standard. I have never seen it implemented anywhere. A few older 2+2 non-motorways exist in open land. They are generally with level crossing, and speed limit is thus 80 k/h. I can recall 2 sections of 2+2 with 90 km/h. That is Route 8 east of Sønderborg and Route 26 south of Viborg. Both features mostly controlled access, but also includes a couple of level crossings. They are not signed as espressway/motortrafikvej.

sponge_bob liked this post
Old May 2nd, 2014, 12:28 PM   #1397
sponge_bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolaj View Post
However according to the newest standards from 2013 http://vejregler.lovportaler.dk/Show...abent2013#pkt5 - a 2+2 standard exists. It is a 19 m/90 km/h standard. I have never seen it implemented anywhere. A few older 2+2 non-motorways exist in open land. They are generally with level crossing, and speed limit is thus 80 k/h.
I am surprised at that. In Ireland Sweden and Finland ( I think) the limit is 100kph on the same spec of road with 3.5m running lanes.

The reason for 2+2 is simple. In develOPED countries infinite traffic growth can no longer be assumed along with an eventual need for motorway ...in rural areas. 2+2 gives the safety benefits of motorway without the cost, EG the removal (by design) of most collision scenarios that can cause serious injury.

So leaving a road as 1+1 'pending' a motorway is no longer a good idea. The difference between a good 1+1 with a 13-14m carriageway and a much better 2+2 with an 18-19m carriageway is very small and with greatly enhanced safety and overall flow.

I think that a 'rural expressway standard' is the most accurate description.

One important factor that influenced 1960s/1970s 1+1 designs was that

a) cars were unreliable
b) tractors were slow, barely able to make 30kph

Therefore hard shoulders along 1+1 roads were common.

Now cars are far more reliable and most farmers nowadays seem to have air conditioned tractors that can do 60kph even when pulling a load.

Therefore a hard shoulder is a waste and can be better used as a running lane.

Ireland, apart from having a 2+2 100kph standard with 17m Carriageway width also has a 120kph 'Rural' or low flow Motorway standard with a 22m Carriageway width. Works perfectly well at 120kph too. Obviously the geometry is not as twisty as a 2+2 100kph road could be. The disadvantage of a 2+2 is that it would be very expensive to ever upgrade it to a motorway ...mainly owing to the alignment.

See > http://nrastandards.nra.ie/road-desi...-startdown/459 and http://nrastandards.nra.ie/road-desi...844f8/no_html1

Last edited by sponge_bob; May 2nd, 2014 at 12:54 PM.
Old May 2nd, 2014, 01:42 PM   #1398
Nikolaj

I am not familiar with the situation in Ireland, but in Denmark in those cases where it has been considered to widen an existing road the cost is relatively high, especially compared to the price of constructing a new "green-field" motorway. The reason in Denmark is the large number of access roads along an ordinary road, and also because of relatively many houses along the roads in those areas where more capacity is needed. Therefore the conclusion usually have been that widening an existing road is not feasible.
Old May 3rd, 2014, 05:59 PM   #1399
Fender56

Likes (Received): 528

The transformation of the 2+2 motorway E20/E45 north around Kolding, will be a 110km/h 3+3 motorway. The trick is removing the rescue lane, and build new short rescue zones every 500m.

Just to remove any mistakes, this will NOT be a 80 km/h, 90 km/h or 100 km/h, but simply a 110 km/h 3+3 highway! Topspeed on highways in Denmark, outside rural areas, is still 130 km/h.

So this is a first in DK.

[IMG]http://i57.************/k9xcli.jpg[/IMG]

http://www.fdm.dk/nyheder/noedspor-s...er-ved-kolding

Last edited by Fender56; May 3rd, 2014 at 08:13 PM.
Fender56 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2014, 07:32 PM   #1400
javimix19

Likes (Received): 1328

Well, I have one question about danish motorways:

- In Denmark all motorways are toll free, I know. But there are two bridges with tolls: Great Belt Fixed Link and Oresund Bridge.

- My question is about tolls in these two bridges: As 2014 Great Fixed Link by standard car costs 33 euros. Oresund Bridge costs 46 euros.

All right, I'm from Basque Country, and I don't know if this is expensive or not... For salaries in very corrupt Spain (I'm basque, nor spanish) these tolls are very expensive. Well, I live in spanish Basque Country, not in french Basque Country, when life is good and salaries are like Netherlands.

My question is: Is there many traffic in those bridges? Is not very expensive?
javimix19 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
legoland