daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 6th, 2016, 12:33 AM   #1821
MattiG

Likes (Received): 619

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
No.
Or yes but more probably maybe. The planning is not in the phase this question can be answered.

If the decision making at the German side takes time, the system might be ready to launch in 2028. In 2016, nobody knows which will be the requirements in 2028. I would be somewhat surprised if there were no plans to make some reservation for an area to be quickly transformed to a control plaza.

(My prediction is that Norway takes over Denmark in 2026 after Sweden surrended to Finland in the War of Surströmming late 2025. Norway closes its borders and requires a visa to enter.)

OulaL, riiga, bongo-anders liked this post

Last edited by MattiG; March 6th, 2016 at 12:40 AM.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 6th, 2016, 12:52 AM   #1822
OulaL

Likes (Received): 121

The toll plaza can be used as a border control area (which is what Sweden is doing in Malmö anyway), but it might turn into a hazard if it causes queues in the tunnel.

Of course the toll plaza doesn't need to be in Rødbyhavn, particularly so if Rødbyhavn doesn't need its own motorway exit anymore (does it?). Even if it does, this exit is probably well sufficient with a single lane with a single booth; the toll plaza for those going to the rest of Denmark may be located deeper inland to avoid the risk mentioned above.

It is already mentioned in the border crossing thread that there was a queue of 8 km on A7/E45. This is just a too stupid and simple thing to be ignored while it would be so easy to solve at this stage of planning.

Last edited by OulaL; March 6th, 2016 at 01:01 AM.
OulaL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2016, 10:35 AM   #1823
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2083

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiG View Post
Or yes but more probably maybe. The planning is not in the phase this question can be answered.
The planning documents are completed but could be modified.

Quote:
If the decision making at the German side takes time, the system might be ready to launch in 2028.
There are thousands of complaints against the current plan from Germans. But the documents which are discussed are completed documents. The plan approval procedure is just about approving them. Of course, if the complaints are justified and the planning authority fears that it could go to court, the documents are usually modified. But this kind of modification is usually a "litte" modification. If it is a bigger modification, the documents must be laid out again which would take more time. A modification like a border crossing building is a bigger modification.

Quote:
In 2016, nobody knows which will be the requirements in 2028. I would be somewhat surprised if there were no plans to make some reservation for an area to be quickly transformed to a control plaza.
Maybe Denmark did .

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2016, 11:00 AM   #1824
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19426

They could periodically close the tunnel Denmark-bound if a long queue is forming. They would just buffer traffic on the German side.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2016, 11:52 AM   #1825
MattiG

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
The planning documents are completed but could be modified.
Of course, they will be modified. There is always a need to even major re-planning, especially in projects spanning for decades.

Quote:
There are thousands of complaints against the current plan from Germans. But the documents which are discussed are completed documents. The plan approval procedure is just about approving them. Of course, if the complaints are justified and the planning authority fears that it could go to court, the documents are usually modified. But this kind of modification is usually a "litte" modification. If it is a bigger modification, the documents must be laid out again which would take more time. A modification like a border crossing building is a bigger modification.
I can see no space for being blue-eyed here. If Denmark needs a control plaza for the sake of national security, then there will be a control plaza. The same applies on the German side.
Old March 6th, 2016, 11:58 AM   #1826
MattiG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
They could periodically close the tunnel Denmark-bound if a long queue is forming. They would just buffer traffic on the German side.
There is an automatic buffer on the German side if no action is taken: The 1+1-lane Fehmarnsund bridge.

AFAIK, the bridge is in bad condition, and it does not necessarily last until 2028. If Germany is not able to decide what to do with a protected but a bad bridge, the car ferries could perhaps be moved from Fehmanrbelt to Fehmarnsund.
Old March 6th, 2016, 12:22 PM   #1827
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2083

Quote:
I can see no space for being blue-eyed here. If Denmark needs a control plaza for the sake of national security, then there will be a control plaza. The same applies on the German side.
I agree that there a border crossing could already be necessary for Denmark but I'm quite sure that there will be no need for Germany! Of course, 2028 is remote future and "everything" can change.

Quote:
There is an automatic buffer on the German side if no action is taken: The 1+1-lane Fehmarnsund bridge.
AFAIK, the bridge is in bad condition, and it does not necessarily last until 2028.
The planning procedure for a 4-laned Fehmarnsund crossing has already finally been started. The Fehmarnbelt crossing will most likely be opened earlier than the new Fehmarnsund crossing though.

Quote:
If Germany is not able to decide what to do with a protected but a bad bridge, the car ferries could perhaps be moved from Fehmanrbelt to Fehmarnsund.
I think that's not likely / not (easily) possible!

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2016, 04:25 PM   #1828
Nikolaj

Likes (Received): 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by metacatfry View Post
Look at all those bridges, Denmark is a very rich country to be able to afford to build so many so closely, with some of them for relatively marginal uses.
Normally you see at least some transversal barriers appearing when a motorway is constructed, but here almost every single existing path and road seem to have been preserved.
That's the price you have to pay for the chosen alignment. Silkeborg is surrounded by very sensitive natural areas, and the initial proposed alignment crossed some of those natural areas. But due to pressure from various interest groups it was instead chosen to use an lignment through built-up area through the northern part of Silkeborg. In order to compensate for this a lot of bridges , fauna bridges and a tunnel next to a residential areas has been built.
Nikolaj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2016, 11:12 PM   #1829
Ingenioren

Likes (Received): 585

What's the big deal about queues in the tunnel? I mean in Oslo the whole E18 is one long queue in a tunnel every day.
Old March 9th, 2016, 04:16 AM   #1830
OulaL

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingenioren View Post
What's the big deal about queues in the tunnel? I mean in Oslo the whole E18 is one long queue in a tunnel every day.
Trying to avoid them (queues, not particularly tunnels) when possible. Somewhere the avoiding is just more difficult than elsewhere.

And what's the problem... well, bad air and increased risk on relatively small accidents escalating into catastrophes.
Old March 9th, 2016, 10:39 AM   #1831
MattiG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingenioren View Post
The tunnels in Oslo seem not to be free from trouble.

http://nortrail.no/service-messages/...le548-372.html
Old March 9th, 2016, 10:56 AM   #1832
MattiG

Quote:
Originally Posted by OulaL View Post
And what's the problem... well, bad air and increased risk on relatively small accidents escalating into catastrophes.
The air quality is an interesting challenge in long tunnels. There is a ventilation hole close to the midway of the Lærdal Tunnel. The Fehmarn tunnel runs under a very busy ship traffic corridor, thus no ventilation towers are possible.

The projected AADT in the Fehmarn tunnel is 6000-9000 while the AADT oof the Lærdal Tunnel is about 2000. Thus, managing the exhaust gases needs much more effort.
Old March 21st, 2016, 07:19 PM   #1833
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A semi truck has struck a bridge across E47 near Rødbyhavn and then caught fire. The bridge has been demolished yesterday.

This stretch of E47 has no shoulders. It was the first motorway in Denmark that started construction (1941), but was not the first to open (1963).

Old April 8th, 2016, 03:28 PM   #1834
ChrisZwolle
Road user

PR-53 Crown Princess Mary Bridge

Construction on the new bridge across the Roskildefjord near Frederikssund will commence on 25 April, the calendar of the traffic minister shows.

It is a 1.3 kilometer long bridge that forms a bypass of Frederikssund, northwest of Copenhagen. It is part of a new tolled expressway, likely Primary Route 53 (Primærrute 53). The bridge project is known as the Frederikssund Connection or Frederikssundforbindelsen. The bridge itself is named the 'Kronprinsesse Marys Bro'.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Festin, 8166UY, ADP, SRC_100, bongo-anders and 1 others liked this post
Old April 15th, 2016, 11:38 AM   #1835
bongo-anders

Likes (Received): 3605

Then we just miss the last 28 km or so of the Frederikssunds motorway into Cooenhagen.
bongo-anders no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2016, 03:51 PM   #1836
bongo-anders

Likes (Received): 3605

Works on the median at the Egedesvej exit (31B) at the Køge Bugt motorway.

SRC_100 liked this post
bongo-anders no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2016, 04:35 PM   #1837
ChrisZwolle
Road user

E20, Odense

The new Exit 50 of E20 at Odense opens to traffic tomorrow. It replaces a diamond interchange a little further west. It also includes a new access road into the city.

Photo by Vejdirektoratet

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

satanism, SRC_100, bongo-anders liked this post
Old April 27th, 2016, 10:51 AM   #1838
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The construction of the new Roskilde Fjord crossing near Frederikssund has started (see also post #1834).

There were no press releases by Vejdirektoratet or TRM but I found this article: http://www.fdm.dk/nyheder/tre-maend-...gang-marys-bro

The bridge project also includes nearly 10 kilometers of four-lane expressway. It is going to cost 2 billion DKK and will open in 2019. It is a toll road.

Luki_SL, MichiH liked this post
Old April 29th, 2016, 06:11 AM   #1839
Blackraven

Likes (Received): 235

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
A semi truck has struck a bridge across E47 near Rødbyhavn and then caught fire. The bridge has been demolished yesterday.

This stretch of E47 has no shoulders. It was the first motorway in Denmark that started construction (1941), but was not the first to open (1963).

It's a shame that it has to be destroyed.............but the bridge has been in service for more than 50 years so it's okay to build a new one.

Denmark is a rich country (with lots of $$$) so they can easily build a new replacement bridge

Blackraven está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2016, 08:26 AM   #1840
MattiG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackraven View Post
It's a shame that it has to be destroyed.............but the bridge has been in service for more than 50 years so it's okay to build a new one.

Denmark is a rich country (with lots of $$$) so they can easily build a new replacement bridge

Most probably such a bridge was approaching the end of its lifecycle anyway.

Tags
legoland