daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 31st, 2016, 08:14 PM   #1861
MattiG

Likes (Received): 619

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordikNerd View Post

Rödby-Puttgarden: 3.72 EUR/KM
Göteborg-Fredrikshavn: 0.77 EUR/KM
Trelleborg-Sassnitz: 0.46 EUR/KM
Ystad-Swinoujscie: 0.38 EUR/KM
That sort of a comparison seldom is meaningful. The ferry crossings are not priced per the crossing length but by value. Usually, the shorter the better. (Note: Norway excluded from this logic.)

Because Sweden is an island within the context of western Europe, there is always some cost implied from traveling to the central Europe, including Denmark. The Helsingborg-Helsingör ferry is slightly more expensive than the bridge Malmö-Copenhagen. Many people find the ferry delivering more value, because it saves 70 kilometers of driving on the congested E6/E20 in the southern Sweden.

The Trelleborg-Sassnitz route will bring value in the future, too. It saves about 300 km of driving on the Malmö-Berlin route compared to the Fehmarn tunnel.

I believe that the Scandline's route Gedser-Rostock will survive, too. It saves up to 180 kilometers.

Mathias Olsen liked this post

Last edited by MattiG; May 31st, 2016 at 08:14 PM. Reason: Grammar
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 31st, 2016, 08:16 PM   #1862
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19427

There will be a new exit to Puttgarden, where the tunnel joines the existing B207. So it's less than a 2 kilometer return drive to Bordershop from the tunnel.

I've never been inside Bordershop, but isn't it a giant booze shop?
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2016, 08:37 PM   #1863
MattiG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Scandlines stated they want to engage in a price war against the tunnel, but it remains to be seen how realistic this is after they lose a lot of business. A KPMG report indicated that Scandlines will operate at a loss once the tunnel opens, but it wasn't clear to me if they meant the entire company, or just this particular ferry route. Of course half of Scandlines revenue is from Bordershop.
I do not believe Scandlines to continue its R-P operations after the tunnel gets completed. The only value it can deliver is to sell cheap R-P plus H-H combo tickets for those people driving from or to Sweden. This most probably is not enough to keep the business case alive.

Instead, Scandlines is investing in the G-R route. Recently, a new battery-hybrid ferry was put into operation, and a second one will follow.
Old May 31st, 2016, 08:50 PM   #1864
MattiG

Quote:
There will be a new exit to Puttgarden, where the tunnel joines the existing B207. So it's less than a 2 kilometer return drive to Bordershop from the tunnel.

I've never been inside Bordershop, but isn't it a giant booze shop?
The booze is the main article, but other goods like candy are available, too. And everything because of the high taxes in Scandinavia: Norwegians travel to Finland because of low prices. Finns travel to Sweden because of low prices. Swedes travel to Denmark because of low prices. And Danes travel to Germany because of low prices.

The investment cost of such a hall is not very high. I am rather sure there will be something similar in the immediate proximity of the first exit in Germany.
Old May 31st, 2016, 08:55 PM   #1865
Mirror's Edge
Free the Nordic people!

Likes (Received): 2653

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiG View Post
The night departures on the Trelleborg-Sassnitz route take slightly shorter time than the day ones. They might be less popular, as it is inconvenient for most travelers to arrive in Trelleborg at 03:15 in the morning.

The popular truckers' route is Trelleborg-Travemünde. On this route, the trucks move 300 kilometers in 8 hours, while the drivers are enjoying their mandatory rest.
Lol, cool to be lectured on a topic when I can see the ferry's right outside my workplace.
I never go to Germany, even if a ticket is as low as 35kr at times, then again I don't drink.
Mirror's Edge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2016, 09:02 PM   #1866
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Likes (Received): 1408

Quote:
That sort of a comparison seldom is meaningful. The ferry crossings are not priced per the crossing length but by value. Usually, the shorter the better. (Note: Norway excluded from this logic.)
As I see it: The boarding process in the harbours is the biggest expense for the ferry companies, while the crossing out at sea does not make so much difference in cost of staff whether the ferry takes 45 minutes or 4 hours. Also the short ferry-routes cant make as much revenue in sales aboard.

So that's why a short ferry ride costs almost as much as a long one.
NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2016, 10:27 PM   #1867
Ingenioren

Likes (Received): 585

Quote:
The Helsingborg-Helsingör ferry is slightly more expensive than the bridge Malmö-Copenhagen. Many people find the ferry delivering more value, because it saves 70 kilometers of driving on the congested E6/E20 in the southern Sweden.
Yes, but why is this happening? I assume Scandlines doesn't have a monopoly to run ferries in HH - there should be several companies competing with price+service. For example there is a ferry route Strömstad - Sandefjord but two different companies that does a 2,5hour crossing in 1/5 of the cost.
Old May 31st, 2016, 11:20 PM   #1868
MattiG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingenioren View Post
Yes, but why is this happening? I assume Scandlines doesn't have a monopoly to run ferries in HH - there should be several companies competing with price+service. For example there is a ferry route Strömstad - Sandefjord but two different companies that does a 2,5hour crossing in 1/5 of the cost.
The history of the H-H route is full of mergers, competition, non-competition and company transactions. Currently, the operator HH-Line is owned by a British company, after Stena and Scandlines sold the line last year. Still, it runs under a marketing joint venture with Scandlines. The turbulence gives a hint that the line is not the goose that lays the golden eggs.

In order to be successful, the potential competitor would need to deliver a similar value proposition, and set it up rather quickly: all-day intensive traffic. The current operator has a fleet of five ferries optimized to short trips and the turnaround time of 10 minutes. Perhaps there is not such a fleet easily available.

It is much easier to enter a route like Strömstad-Sandefjord, because proper second-hand (or fifth-hand) car ferries are rather easily available with a reasonable cost. The business case of the S-S route is rather different: Much bigger fraction of the revenue comes from the tax free and restaurant sales, I believe. On the H-H route, most of the income is based on tickets.

(The low prices may be an illusion only. If I take a 2-night cruise to Stockholm with my wife, the credit card bill might show a total of 500 euro under the line, even if the ticket price were 20 euro.)

Last edited by MattiG; June 1st, 2016 at 11:04 AM.
Old May 31st, 2016, 11:40 PM   #1869
bongo-anders

Likes (Received): 3605

I visited the new Ølsemagle bridge in Køge Nord this evening, the bridge opened today and it spans 2 S-train tracks, the 8 lane Køge Bugt Motorvejen (E20, E47 and E55) and 4 tracks on the new Copenhagen-Ringsted high speed line.

SRC_100, Highway89 liked this post
bongo-anders no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2016, 12:39 PM   #1870
ChrisZwolle
Road user

How much of the E20/47/55 widening between Køge and Copenhagen has been completed now? I may drive through this area next week and I want to film some of the completed segments, but roadworks are not so interesting to me. Is it completed north/east of Route 6? (That's Solrød-Syd I think?)
Old June 5th, 2016, 12:59 PM   #1871
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

Those very high prices for ferries/roads in Scandinavia still surprise me... What is the cheapest way to get from Southern Sweden to Copenhagen? Probably a bus or maybe a local train from Malmo?
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2016, 01:22 PM   #1872
Mirror's Edge
Free the Nordic people!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfuns View Post
Those very high prices for ferries/roads in Scandinavia still surprise me... What is the cheapest way to get from Southern Sweden to Copenhagen? Probably a bus or maybe a local train from Malmo?
6 Euro with bus or 11 Euro with train, there is plenty of discounts for students or commuters etc.
Old June 5th, 2016, 10:10 PM   #1873
bongo-anders

Likes (Received): 3605

Quote:
How much of the E20/47/55 widening between Køge and Copenhagen has been completed now? I may drive through this area next week and I want to film some of the completed segments, but roadworks are not so interesting to me. Is it completed north/east of Route 6? (That's Solrød-Syd I think?)
Its finished from Solrød S (Exit 31A) and northwards.

Its a cluster**** all the way from Motorvejskryds Køge Vest to Solrød S.

2 places where the lanes are moved to the other side of the motorway because they are building 2 tunnels under the motorway and 2 big bridge constructions (exit 31A and 32).

And generally they work in the median and on the emergency lanes with sound barriers etc etc etc.

Last edited by bongo-anders; June 13th, 2016 at 12:11 AM.
bongo-anders no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2016, 07:29 PM   #1874
Mathias Olsen

Likes (Received): 149

Quote:
Many people find the ferry delivering more value, because it saves 70 kilometers of driving on the congested E6/E20 in the southern Sweden.
Another reason is that you can have a break, by having a meal or drinking and toilet visit. Otherwise you need to make a stop on the motorway. It saves also time in that way.
Mathias Olsen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2016, 04:21 PM   #1875
MattiG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathias Olsen View Post
Another reason is that you can have a break, by having a meal or drinking and toilet visit. Otherwise you need to make a stop on the motorway. It saves also time in that way.
Sure. However, the crossing time is too short to have a meal. Some snacks, or a quick sandwich would go.

At least in the summertime, the feeling aboard is rather busy, and people are rushing around the ferry. I try to find a place to relax somewhere else.
Old June 7th, 2016, 06:45 PM   #1876
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I drove through Denmark today. Once again I spotted a lot of broken down cars on the shoulder. I don't see that often in The Netherlands, I didn't see one in Germany, but over 10 in Denmark... I noticed this on previous trips as well. Don't people maintain their cars?
Old June 7th, 2016, 07:30 PM   #1877
Mirror's Edge
Free the Nordic people!

De er ligeglad, at least in Själland there is a bit of a mañana-mañana culture in and around CPH.

devo liked this post
Old June 7th, 2016, 10:37 PM   #1878
Shifty2k5

Likes (Received): 157

Quote:
I drove through Denmark today. Once again I spotted a lot of broken down cars on the shoulder. I don't see that often in The Netherlands, I didn't see one in Germany, but over 10 in Denmark... I noticed this on previous trips as well. Don't people maintain their cars?
Were they really broken down or do people just park on the shoulders? One of the reasons why I'm not totally against the modern narrow swedish motorways (more like expressways) is because drivers can't just stop on the shoulder to answer a phone call, pee or for any other retarded reason.
Shifty2k5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2016, 12:02 PM   #1879
ADP

Likes (Received): 4

The second stage of Næstved Bypass opens in October 30, 2016

The second stage of Næstved Bypass (Ring Nord) between Ringstedgade and Slagelsevej/Vestre Ringvej opens in October 30, 2016.

http://www.vejdirektoratet.dk/DA/om-...C3%A6ngde.aspx

ChrisZwolle, Luki_SL liked this post
ADP no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2016, 11:34 AM   #1880
OulaL

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifty2k5 View Post
Were they really broken down or do people just park on the shoulders? One of the reasons why I'm not totally against the modern narrow swedish motorways (more like expressways) is because drivers can't just stop on the shoulder to answer a phone call, pee or for any other retarded reason.
Denmark has such an extensive network of motorway rest areas, that stopping on the shoulder in case other than emergency is a real no-no. I have no idea how that is enforced, though.

I have driven through Denmark a couple of times and haven't noticed this. My best guess is just a statistical oddity on Chris' trip.

Tags
legoland