daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 30th, 2008, 07:27 PM   #181
ABRob

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan1113 View Post
They will start building a motorway bypass by 2010. It's a bit over 20km long, and over 15km of it will be in tunnels.
Do you have a map of this bypass?
ABRob no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 30th, 2008, 10:42 PM   #182
Schweden
Registered Loser

Likes (Received): 40

Quote:
Im interested in how the new motorway will look. What speed limit will it have?
110!
Quote:
Do you have a map of this bypass?
A big map I found... http://www.vv.se/filer/karta_webben.jpg
Schweden no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2008, 10:51 PM   #183
Dan

Likes (Received): 3

It's pretty much guaranteed to be built, though sadly it'll only be done in 2020 or so. It's quite the project though. I'm glad that the tunnels will help with the environment but it'll be sad to miss all the beautiful nature...oh well, we'll get a good glimpse of it on the one bridge over the water and short above-ground stretch, which should have really nice views!

Edit: the exact figures: 21km, 16km in tunnel.

Map with the exits: http://vv.se/filer/8216/karta%20PP.jpg
Dan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2008, 10:53 PM   #184
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schweden View Post
I'll try to get some UC pics from the new motorway being built between Örebro and Lekhyttan (half the way between Örebro-Karlskoga). I guess I will take the bus to Örebro sometime in the near future.
Värmland county has been giving hints that it may give money to Vägverket to get motorways built from Karlstad all the way to the border with Örebro county by 2020. If this happens then we'll pretty much just have the short stretch between Lekhytten and Karlskoga without motorway on the stretch Karlstad-Stockholm, which would be awesome. And by 2020, maybe even that stretch will be under construction.

Two stretches on the E18 between Västerås and Stockholm are being currently built; one opens in a few months, one in 2010.
Old May 30th, 2008, 10:54 PM   #185
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19354

[IMG]http://i31.************/2zstbt4.jpg[/IMG]
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2008, 02:02 PM   #186
Schweden
Registered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan1113 View Post
Värmland county has been giving hints that it may give money to Vägverket to get motorways built from Karlstad all the way to the border with Örebro county by 2020. If this happens then we'll pretty much just have the short stretch between Lekhytten and Karlskoga without motorway on the stretch Karlstad-Stockholm, which would be awesome. And by 2020, maybe even that stretch will be under construction.

Two stretches on the E18 between Västerås and Stockholm are being currently built; one opens in a few months, one in 2010.
It's going to be 1+1 and 1+2 for some years now. But, the "E18 Group" want this stretch to be 2+2 in the future

EDIT: The stretch in Karlskoga is not a motorway... It's 2+2 with roundabouts and traffic lights. But, maybe the bridge over the lake Möckeln will be UC or something by 2020... Karlskoga Kommun want it to be built.. Here's a map I made
http://data.fuskbugg.se/skalman01/karlskogabro.PNG

Last edited by Schweden; June 1st, 2008 at 02:08 PM.
Old June 1st, 2008, 06:06 PM   #187
Dan

That would be great! It's always really weird having a bunch of lights and going right through the city on the E18.
Old June 3rd, 2008, 01:43 AM   #188
Grotlaufen

Likes (Received): 173

Pretty awesome landscape I must say. These are from E22 in Scania, found them on wikipedia.
Grotlaufen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2008, 11:31 AM   #189
denvise
Den vise!

Likes (Received): 0

The rest from my trip to Stockholm. Some pictures are a little blurry,sorry Okej I'm driving to Södermalm from e4-south on these first pics, crossing highway 73. Ok here is the split, e4 goes on top I think the other on becomes nr 222. Tunnels comming up, my pictures from the Södra Länken(tunnels 3x3) was so bad that i will only post one. Close to Södermalm now, just over one of these bridges . OK I'm on Södemalm, an island and pix show the same bridges, one is nr73
denvise no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2008, 11:47 AM   #190
denvise
Den vise!

Last post, all E4 going home(around 8-10 evening). Now I'm back in Östergötland, still E4.

Last edited by denvise; June 3rd, 2008 at 11:53 AM.
denvise no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2008, 11:09 AM   #191
ChrisZwolle
Road user

How is the Stockholm congestion pricing working out? I read the London Congestion Charge caused a short backfall in traffic volumes, but they are already back to pre-CC levels. Is the same happening in Stockholm?
Old July 1st, 2008, 08:58 PM   #192
Schweden
Registered Loser

Google translate is just amazing! (I didnt have the time to translate it myself)
http://translate.google.se/translate...F8&sl=sv&tl=en
Old July 1st, 2008, 09:31 PM   #193
ChrisZwolle
Road user

20% huh. They had a similar amount in London. I doubt if it would stay this way. Personally, I think it's back to old levels within 2 - 3 years.
Old July 1st, 2008, 09:37 PM   #194
ChrisZwolle
Road user

edit - double.

Last edited by ChrisZwolle; July 1st, 2008 at 09:55 PM.
Old July 19th, 2008, 05:17 PM   #195
ElviS77

Likes (Received): 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euklidisk View Post
Yes, this is better suited to the standard of the roads. Many guardrail roads have 90 km/h, now they get 100 km/h. In my opinion they should also lower the non-divided 90 km/h roads to 80 km/h, but that's mabye politically impossible

In the long term we should sort out the odd speed limits and only have 30, 40, 60, 80, 100 and 120 km/h. This is what I think:

120 km/h, Motorways
100 km/h, Guardrail roads
80 km/h, Non-divided roads
60 km/h, Small country roads and suburban roads
40 km/h, City roads and housing areas
30 km/h, Outside schools or mixed with bicycles and pedestrians

Sänkt = lowered
Höjd = raised
After taking a 2000-km road trip around southern Sweden, I have a few comments on speed limits and road conditions. First, the 120 kph project around Halmstad made sense, and even other stretches are more than good enough to see a raised limit (the difference between 120 and 130 is really marginal). Still, the fact that several exits do not have a decelleration lane is something that should be addressed.

Also, driving the E6 through Göteborg (Gothenburg) is a nightmare. Several massive interchanges in a very short stretch of road, some with exits on the left, makes a complete mess of things. It was jammed for kilometres around noon (and the speed limit was - for no apparent reason - reduced to 30 kph... not that it really made any difference, the traffic moved at 10). Are there plans to make the E6 bypass Göteborg? It seems necessary.

Then, the (at least in Norway) famed 2+1/1+1 guardrailded roads. They are obviously safer than the alternative, but I see a few problems. First, the guardrail itself: the wire version has been heavily criticised by motorcyclists, who claim that it works like an "egg cutter" in the event of an accident. Second, the 1-laned sections are so narrow that it would be difficult bordering on the impossible for emergency services to get past traffic. A problem if the other direction is blocked by, say, an overturned lorry. Third, and in my opinion, most important: The roads (mainly) allow level intersections, even tiny agricultural roads often cross the road at level. This means that the road is just as dangerous as ordinary roads in that respect. Perhaps even more so, as these roads promote a higher driving speed.

In my opinion, only roundabouts or grade separated junctions should be used on such roads. True, roundabouts reduce average driving speed and grade separation is expensive, but the alternative is a lower speed limit. The Swedes, somewhat to their credit, have realised this: 90 kph (70 in places) on unseparated roads, 110 kph (will be reduced to 100) on those with grade separated junctions.
ElviS77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2008, 09:22 PM   #196
SmarterChild

^ I was actually read smth abt this saying that a 1+1 road lane should be atleast 5,5 m so a car can pass another one if it's parked on the shoulder! Maybe some older 2+1 variants don't follow this standrad though.

[IMG]http://i33.************/1y4vw8.png[/IMG]
SmarterChild no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2008, 09:56 PM   #197
ElviS77

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmarterChild View Post
^ I was actually read smth abt this saying that a 1+1 road lane should be atleast 5,5 m so a car can pass another one if it's parked on the shoulder! Maybe some older 2+1 variants don't follow this standrad though.

[IMG]http://i33.************/1y4vw8.png[/IMG]
They most certainly don't. It's actually implied in the article as well, the illustration is of a 14-metre wide road, but it is indicated that the profile may be as narrow as 13. At least in some 1-lane places of the 2+1s, it would be difficult for an ambulance to overtake acar, and virtually impossible to get past a lorry (the 1+1s were much better). Still, I was more sceptical to the junctions than the profile. The Norwegian 2+1s are actually better, 14.5 metres wide and with either roundabouts or graded junctions. But they are sooo much fewer, unfortunately...
Old July 21st, 2008, 03:22 PM   #198
54°26′S 3°24′E

Likes (Received): 155

This is what happens when the lanes get to narrow....

A trivial punctuation created major havoc on E6 between Trondheim and Steinkjer in Norway the other day, as trucks were not able to pass the car. As you can see there is no shoulder! What should an emergency vehicle have done?
54°26′S 3°24′E no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2008, 03:52 PM   #199
ChrisZwolle
Road user

In the Netherlands, they usually have a 2 - 3m wide "obstacle free" zone along major roads. If you have a breakdown, you can stop your car in the grass instead of on the pavement. It also makes a road looks less claustrophobic.
Old July 21st, 2008, 04:06 PM   #200
ElviS77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriszwolle View Post
In the Netherlands, they usually have a 2 - 3m wide "obstacle free" zone along major roads. If you have a breakdown, you can stop your car in the grass instead of on the pavement. It also makes a road looks less claustrophobic.
This makes perfect sense. However, as the Swedes are rebuilding their excisting 13-metre 2-lane roads into 2+1s with a guardrail, they have obviously taken inspiration from Norway and done it on the cheap... I'm pretty certain they don't make these mistakes on new roads (as we, unfortunately, do in Norway...).