daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 12th, 2014, 02:50 AM   #1981
Uppsala

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
Indeed... take away traffic, then take away speed limit?!

Anyway I am not sure, maybe that way was better, one less Lada on the road

The film is from about 1978-1980. In that time there was quite a lot of Lada in Sweden

dj4life liked this post
Uppsala no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 12th, 2014, 08:39 PM   #1982
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

I noticed how many trucks in Sweden are longer than the usual tractor-trailer combination. Based on my E22 trip to Kalmar today, I'd say 80% of the larger Swedish trucks are long combinations in excess of 20 meters.

E22 is mostly 2+1, however there is a fairly long stretch from near Västervik (RV 40 split) to near Oskarshamn that is still a wide single carriageway.

I also drove the Öland Bridge today. It's quite nice, a 4-lane undivided highway. I also took a back route from Örebro to Norrköping (mostly RV 51) which was a nice road to drive for pleasure.

Are they planning a bypass for Karlskoga and Söderköping? Those were the only two larger urban areas with no bypass I encountered today on my drive from Torsby to Kalmar.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2014, 09:08 PM   #1983
Mirror's Edge
Free the Nordic people!

Likes (Received): 2638

Yes, in Söderköping they even plan to lift the canal with boats on top the new bypass on a strange thingy.
Will post pics later, enjoy your stay.

dj4life liked this post
Mirror's Edge está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2014, 09:08 PM   #1984
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uppsala View Post
They have some of those in Poland too. They look like the Swedish roads.
The difference seems to be that in Sweden they are not used for moving over to let a faster vehicle pass. I only saw one vehicle drive right of the dashed marking and that was a Dutch car + caravan who drove there the entire time.
Old June 12th, 2014, 11:57 PM   #1985
Uppsala

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The difference seems to be that in Sweden they are not used for moving over to let a faster vehicle pass. I only saw one vehicle drive right of the dashed marking and that was a Dutch car + caravan who drove there the entire time.

The wide roads looks the same in Sweden and Poland. But in Sweden most people dont move over for faster vehicle, but they do that in Poland. So same sort of roads but different behaviors on these.

I think the rules are the same. But for some reason Swedish people using them more selfish than they do in Poland. I think the Swedish behaviors on these roads are more dangerous than the Polish on these roads.
Old June 13th, 2014, 12:01 AM   #1986
Uppsala

Quote:
I noticed how many trucks in Sweden are longer than the usual tractor-trailer combination. Based on my E22 trip to Kalmar today, I'd say 80% of the larger Swedish trucks are long combinations in excess of 20 meters.

E22 is mostly 2+1, however there is a fairly long stretch from near Västervik (RV 40 split) to near Oskarshamn that is still a wide single carriageway.

I also drove the Öland Bridge today. It's quite nice, a 4-lane undivided highway. I also took a back route from Örebro to Norrköping (mostly RV 51) which was a nice road to drive for pleasure.

Are they planning a bypass for Karlskoga and Söderköping? Those were the only two larger urban areas with no bypass I encountered today on my drive from Torsby to Kalmar.
There are more like that. In Sundsvall they now building a new road but for the moment E4 still going inside the urban areas. But look at E4 in Härnösand and Örnsköldsvik. E4 still going inside the urban areas there, and they still dont have any real plans to build any bypass there.
Old June 13th, 2014, 02:16 AM   #1987
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

Quote:
The wide roads looks the same in Sweden and Poland. But in Sweden most people dont move over for faster vehicle, but they do that in Poland. So same sort of roads but different behaviors on these.

I think the rules are the same. But for some reason Swedish people using them more selfish than they do in Poland. I think the Swedish behaviors on these roads are more dangerous than the Polish on these roads.

It's only because Polish people want to let Swedish people go as fast as possible back to Sweden
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2014, 07:19 AM   #1988
Mirror's Edge
Free the Nordic people!

Quote:

Here is that contraption they want to use to lift boat over the future planed bypass.

Here is info on the planed bypass of Söderköping
And here is a movie on the planed new road with focus on the boat lift, skip to 02:00 for just the info no BS.
Old June 13th, 2014, 07:45 PM   #1989
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I drove the new E22 from Fogdarp to Rolsberga today. It did not have motorway status but most people were doing 110 km/h. There were also no restrictions visible, just a motorway with no motorway status yet.

I clinched the entire E22 from Norrköping to Malmö

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Mirror's Edge liked this post
Old June 13th, 2014, 08:17 PM   #1990
Mirror's Edge
Free the Nordic people!

It's going to be signed as motorway on June 19.

Ohh and wait a minute, you where close to STHLM but didn't pop in for tea?
Old June 13th, 2014, 08:39 PM   #1991
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I started that day in Torsby (E16/E45 intersection) and then drove to Kalmar. Stockholm was a bit out of the way, and I want to do a separate trip maybe next year to drive all of E4. That's also the reason why I drove E22 all the way south, I like driving on different routes and see different parts of the country.

From what I've seen in southern Sweden, E6 north of Göteborg is the most scenic route in this part of the country, but the Halland part is a bit boring.

I also noticed how radically different Sweden is from the Netherlands, despite both being at the top safest countries in the world. Sweden sometimes looks like the anti-Netherlands; very wide roads, 2+1 roads with 100 km/h intersections, cross traffic, etc. The speed limits are mostly similar though. I like the median cable barriers, but I found the passing lane a bit narrow at times, especially when passing a truck. Since most passing lanes are only 600 - 1800 meters long, you often have to go over the speed limit to pass a truck.
Old June 13th, 2014, 08:43 PM   #1992
dj4life

Likes (Received): 48594

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirror's Edge View Post
Yes, in Söderköping they even plan to lift the canal with boats on top the new bypass on a strange thingy.
Will post pics later, enjoy your stay.
Gosh, Sweden will become one large construction site soon.
dj4life no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2014, 09:19 PM   #1993
riiga

Likes (Received): 126

Quote:
you often have to go over the speed limit to pass a truck.
Also has to do with that trucks can do 90 km/h in Sweden while I think 80 km/h is the common speed on the continent.
riiga no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2014, 10:07 PM   #1994
kalle_sg

Likes (Received): 2189

Quote:
I think the Swedish behaviors on these roads are more dangerous than the Polish on these roads.
Not necessarily. Driving close to the edge encourages overtaking even if there are cars driving the opposite direction. That's a great risk for head-on collisions. Driving close to the edge is also a great danger for pedestrians/cyclists/whoever who might be there, especially if it's dark. The latter doesn't probably occur in Sweden that often, but in Poland it's not uncommon from my experience.

Either way, these broad roads make a really good material for a reconstruction to 2+1 roads. Hope it won't take long
kalle_sg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2014, 01:55 PM   #1995
metasmurf

Likes (Received): 555

Old E4 (until 2012), now road 503 through central Umeå. Taken by me today

Mirror's Edge, riiga liked this post
metasmurf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2014, 07:09 PM   #1996
Adde

Likes (Received): 465

Here's the latest video about the Norra Länken road project in Stockholm. The project is both under budget and ahead of schedule. The first parts will be opened on November 30, 2014.

The video is in English.

Adde no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2014, 07:30 PM   #1997
riiga

Likes (Received): 126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adde View Post
The project is both under budget and ahead of schedule.
riiga no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2014, 08:07 PM   #1998
Aphelion

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
I drove the new E22 from Fogdarp to Rolsberga today. It did not have motorway status but most people were doing 110 km/h. There were also no restrictions visible, just a motorway with no motorway status yet.

I clinched the entire E22 from Norrköping to Malmö
Great, how did you enjoy the part from Malmö to Karlskrona (where I drive quite a lot)? 15 km of new motorway will open between Sölvesborg and Mörrum in December.
Aphelion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2014, 08:26 PM   #1999
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I thought there would be more motorway stretches in Blekinge, some maps indicate it as such, but in reality it was mostly 2+1.

I was a bit surprised about the choice of destinations on the signage. Malmö is signed from Kalmar, which makes sense, but after that it's just the next city, and nothing more. At Karlskrona they sign Ronneby, and when you reach Ronneby, they sign the next larger city (I believe Karlshamn or Sölvesborg). Hence, some of these cities appear relatively late on the signs, less than 35 km away.

E22 has two TOTSO's, where you have to turn off to follow E22. From my observations, nearly all traffic exited there to follow E22, so maybe this was poorly designed in the past.
Old June 14th, 2014, 09:23 PM   #2000
Aphelion

Likes (Received): 20

Regarding TOTSO's: The one at Kristianstad (exit 37, Härlöv) is due to scrapped plans for the continuation of the motorway towards Malmö. It was supposed to turn southwards west of the Härlöv junction, with road 21 connecting to another junction.
Aphelion no está en línea   Reply With Quote