daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 4th, 2014, 01:44 AM   #2141
sponge_bob

Likes (Received): 2200

A Man could start a fairly lively Jihad just with that lot Kanadzie. But can we get back to Sweden please.

Swedens biggest problem is that a population or 8 or 9 million in a country TWICE the size of the UK simply cannot afford motorways everywhere.

Given that they have done very well with their road network overall and the worst problem is the excruciatingly expensive bypasses of Stockholm itself given its complex geography. The rest of the country has mainly very good roads.

They also have very safe roads and are a beacon of road design for countries with long rural networks.
sponge_bob no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 4th, 2014, 09:48 AM   #2142
Mirror's Edge
Free the Nordic people!

Likes (Received): 2638

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
A country rich enough to afford good cars can also afford good roads with correct shoulders and appropriate lane numbers
Sure, technically we could build good roads with the insane high taxes we pay but we have other priority's and with the new government we will spend even less to improve the roads.

Kanadzie liked this post
Mirror's Edge está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2014, 10:49 AM   #2143
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

At least the greens didn't get the infrastructure minister post. Although in my experience social democratic transport policy in Europe is very influenced by the greens if they are in one coalition cabinet. Which I don't understand, social democrats usually represent the lower and middle working class. Their electorate often work at locations not quickly accessible by public transport, so a pro-roads policy benefits them.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

RV liked this post
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2014, 12:18 PM   #2144
Kruzze

Likes (Received): 9

The first change the new government did was to pause the bypass Stockholm project untill further notice. According to some calculations in media that messure will cost us tax payers 80 million euro. That money could have bought a strech of 10-20 km of motorway on the E20 between Stockholm-Gothenburg. Now it´s just going down the drain. That´s very unresponsible and shows that the greens and social democrats have no respect for us tax payers money.
Kruzze no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2014, 03:43 PM   #2145
ChrisZwolle
Road user

E6 Uddevalla - Svinesund

A video of 100 kilometers of E6 from Uddevalla to the Norwegian border at Svinesund.

Old October 8th, 2014, 01:20 PM   #2146
ChrisZwolle
Road user

E4 Sundsvall

A new aerial video of nearly finished E4 at Sundsvall. The bridge looks great!

edit: bridge:

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

dj4life, VECTROTALENZIS liked this post

Last edited by ChrisZwolle; October 11th, 2014 at 10:02 PM.
Old October 14th, 2014, 07:48 PM   #2147
RV

Likes (Received): 275

Are there plans to upgrade E4 from Gävle to Söderhamn and Sundsvall to motorway standards?

Btw, the expressway in Gällivare must surely be the northernmost in the whole planet (Rovaniemi motorway is far souther; there were plans to build an expressways-bypass around Sodankylä in Finnish Lapland in the 80's (traffic volumes are quite high in a little spot there), and if I remember correctly, they are building an expressway around Murmansk.

definitivo liked this post
RV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2014, 11:01 PM   #2148
Autobahnftw

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV View Post
Are there plans to upgrade E4 from Gävle to Söderhamn and Sundsvall to motorway standards?

Btw, the expressway in Gällivare must surely be the northernmost in the whole planet (Rovaniemi motorway is far souther; there were plans to build an expressways-bypass around Sodankylä in Finnish Lapland in the 80's (traffic volumes are quite high in a little spot there), and if I remember correctly, they are building an expressway around Murmansk.
the short term plans is to make 2+1 on the gap kongberget-gnarp http://www.trafikverket.se/Privat/Pr...eborg/E4Gnarp/

After that there are no concrete plans to make motorway but i think it will happen in the future with more traffic

But of course, if gällivare can have motorway then all e4 should have it
Autobahnftw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2014, 11:50 PM   #2149
OulaL

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Rovaniemi doesn't have a motorway, anyway.
Old October 15th, 2014, 01:20 PM   #2150
RV

Likes (Received): 275

Quote:
Originally Posted by OulaL View Post
Rovaniemi doesn't have a motorway, anyway.
Well, Rovaniemi road would be classified in Sweden as a motorway, with high-quality interchanges, high traffic volumes, double carriageways and even a tunnel with a shopping mall above it. Finnish motorway-laws are just ridiculously and very confusingly strict - half of the Swedish motorway network would be classified here as "2+2-roads".

Anyways, if I remember correctly, the Murmansk motorway/expressway is under construction, and that would make it without doubt the northernmost in the world.
RV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2014, 01:48 PM   #2151
ChrisZwolle
Road user

That road in Gällivare is hardly an expressway. It's a four-lane road that happens to have one interchange where the ramps look like T-intersections.

The Murmansk bypass is at 68.5 N, comparable to 250 km north of Rovaniemi (or 1350 km north of the northernmost freeway in Canada).
Old October 16th, 2014, 09:24 AM   #2152
OulaL

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Well, Rovaniemi road would be classified in Sweden as a motorway, with high-quality interchanges, high traffic volumes, double carriageways and even a tunnel with a shopping mall above it.
The shopping mall in Rovaniemi is the worst when speaking of traffic. There is a ramp leading directly from the road to the mall garage - which of course is nice for business, but unacceptable for a motorway. Let alone that the turn to and from that ramp is very sharp. Traffic coming from the north and entering the mall must slow down to some 40 km/h before turning, within the tunnel. Here's what it looks like https://maps.google.fi/maps?ll=66.50...223.63,,0,7.43

Another problem is that there is no parallel connection across Ounasjoki, and Finland as well as Sweden avoid motorway classification in such cases.

EDIT: ... maybe we should continue in the FIN-thread...
Old October 16th, 2014, 10:42 AM   #2153
Ingenioren

Likes (Received): 584

You could count Tromsøysundtunnel as an expressway since it makes a 4km long grade-separated 4 lane road. Speed limit is only 60km tough.
Old October 16th, 2014, 03:16 PM   #2154
Autobahnftw

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifty2k5 View Post
10 km of E18 Sagån - Västerås opened this week.

http://www.infrastrukturnyheter.se/2...ch-sag-n-ppnar

According to the article the road will have 110 as speed limit? i thought it was supposed to be 120?
Autobahnftw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2014, 04:58 PM   #2155
Aphelion

Likes (Received): 20

The northernmost part of the new E22 between Sölvesborg and Mörrum has opened to traffic with a 70 km/h speed limit and overtaking is prohibited (map). In the end of November the entire new motorway (15 km total) will open to traffic.
Aphelion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2014, 05:03 PM   #2156
ChrisZwolle
Road user

They also changed the names of the main tunnels of the Stockholm Bypass to avoid confusion with the other tunnels.

http://www.trafikverket.se/Privat/Pr...uvudtunnlarna/

It will now be 'Hjulsta Tunnel' northbound and 'Vårby Tunnel' southbound.

I kind of liked the old names better (Uppland Tunnel & Södermanland Tunnel).
Old October 18th, 2014, 01:55 PM   #2157
Shifty2k5

Likes (Received): 157

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphelion View Post
The northernmost part of the new E22 between Sölvesborg and Mörrum has opened to traffic with a 70 km/h speed limit and overtaking is prohibited (map). In the end of November the entire new motorway (15 km total) will open to traffic.
Some pictures. The road in its entirety opens on 3/12.

riiga liked this post
Shifty2k5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2014, 10:37 PM   #2158
54°26′S 3°24′E

Likes (Received): 155

Is there no debate with regards to wire fences on Swedish roads? As far as I know, they are no longer installed on Norwegian roads due to the danger they allegedly pose to bikers.
Old October 18th, 2014, 11:13 PM   #2159
Autoputevi kao hobi
srBska Kraljica

Likes (Received): 4063

That is one weird road.
Autoputevi kao hobi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2014, 11:38 PM   #2160
Shifty2k5

Likes (Received): 157

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54°26′S 3°24′E View Post

Is there no debate with regards to wire fences on Swedish roads? As far as I know, they are no longer installed on Norwegian roads due to the danger they allegedly pose to bikers.
The use and efficiency of cable barriers is an ongoing and very interesting debate.

First of all, according to swedish studies the cable barriers pose no larger threat to bikers than any other type of guard rail. The "cheese slicer" effect is basically a myth. Cable barriers are also safer when cars collide with the cable since it's more flexible and bendy compared to the regular W-beam. They also reduce the effects of snow drift and snow plowing which would otherwise be a big problem on narrow swedish 2+1 roads during winter. They're also cheaper to purchase and install.

The downsides however are that they're not nearly as effective when it comes to collisions with larger vehicles such as 60-90 tonne trucks (and those are not uncommon on swedish roads). They're also not as durable and have to be replaced more often compared to W-beams so the wire fences are basically more expensive in the long run.

PROS:
More forgiving against car collisions.
Reduces the harmful effects of snow drift and snow plowing.
Cheaper.

CONS:
Not as effective against larger and heavier vehicles.
Less durable - have to be replaced more often.

I would also like to add that the swedish road authorities strategy when it comes to guard rails make little sense. E.g. the recently opened E22 Rolsberga-Fogdarp in Skåne, which is 19m wide just like the E22 in Sölvesborg, was given a rigid (Birsta 1P) guardrail. I also know that trafikverket replaced long stretches of cable barrier with Birsta 1P on other parts of the E22 in Skåne this summer. Another example is the E4 where long stretches (hundred of kilometers) in Småland and Gävleborg had W-beams installed last year despite the fact that most of these parts have wide grassy medians. It makes little sense to me..

Some pictures:

Birsta 1P

E22 Rolsberga-Fogdarp

Last edited by Shifty2k5; October 19th, 2014 at 12:12 AM.
Shifty2k5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote