daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 26th, 2015, 10:51 PM   #2321
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8773

Foreigners don't pay do they?

EDIT: Oh yes they do. Starting this year in fact.

https://www.epass24.com/
Svartmetall está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 27th, 2015, 10:56 AM   #2322
Swede
forumer #29

Likes (Received): 1662

OulaL - I don't know the parking situation in detai lsince I don't havea car, but if you're going to park all day (or near enough all day) I think it's worth it to go beyond the toll line and park for free near a subway station or another. That's based on you getting travelpass anyway, so the cost of using transit wouldn't differ. Since using transit is expensive here I'd put that in the calculation if I were you.
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall
Swede no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2015, 12:55 PM   #2323
John Maynard
BANNED

Likes (Received): 376

Recovery of foreigners tolls in Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
Foreigners don't pay do they?

EDIT: Oh yes they do. Starting this year in fact.

https://www.epass24.com/
And how will it be enforced abroad if someone refuses to pay? Can they “confiscate” your vehicle or arrest you (per ex., without car, in airport) while in Sweden or in another country?

>It’s not that I am planning to go to Sweden or elsewhere not to pay the tolls, fines or others charges*, and never omitted to pay a toll AFAIK*, but I was always was very intrigued with these legal issues, as more and more European countries are now applying electronic tolls and mandate private companies to trace foreigners abroad, particularly regarding fines.

I know that in neighboring Norway foreigners have also to pay electronic tolls since a while. They mandate a traffic tickets and tolls recovering company called “EPC PLC” based in London, UK, which will find your number plate details and send you the invoice directly to your country. It appears that Epass24 is related to ParkTrade Europe AB, a Stockholm based traffic and parking related debt recovery company. Indeed, there are many others similar companies active as well.
However, reading many commentaries on the web, I can say at last that it seem to be a huge gap in national legal procedures and laws to permit such a pursuit for recovery and what factually these companies are claiming they can achieve .
Perhaps, a new EU law entered (or will enter) in force recently (or in the close future)?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*1: In fact, I had very few fines on my active: 2 speeding tickets and less than ten parking “additional fees".
*2: Because with so many new electronic tolls and congestion charges setups (add to this speed and all sort of different purpose “punishing" cameras) with each countries variations in addition and different payment schemes, it’s sometimes very hard to know where you're standing on, contrary to the traditional toll booths and vignettes system (or even police patrol stop).
John Maynard no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2015, 01:02 PM   #2324
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19354

They will probably activate a debt recovery agency, like Euro Parking Collections (which is used by the Norwegian toll road operators).

As mentioned before, this whole scheme is probably set up out of principles, not to collect any meaningful net revenue. It may operate at a loss even. The tolls for the Motala Bridge are € 0.50. Sending a letter is more expensive.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2015, 04:05 PM   #2325
Mirror's Edge
Free the Nordic people!

Likes (Received): 2636

I would love to see real tolls in Sweden in exchange for much lower taxes, and seeing as it's a bitch getting out of here I could see ppl being forced to pay their by license plate read debt at the border.
Even if you go to Norway on a small road unless you leave Scandinavia from Norway you have to return here , then you have to pay either at the ferry or the bridge.
Mirror's Edge está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2015, 04:43 PM   #2326
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirror's Edge View Post
I would love to see real tolls in Sweden in exchange for much lower taxes
The level of taxation is mostly determined by the social welfare system (health care, education, unemployment benefits, state pensions). The cost to operate and build roads is insignificant compared to that, even with the journalists and some politicians telling you how 'expensive' it is to build a road.
Old February 28th, 2015, 05:56 PM   #2327
riiga

Likes (Received): 126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirror's Edge View Post
I would love to see real tolls in Sweden in exchange for much lower taxes
And I would like to see the tolls removed, including the congestion charge. Public roads should be free, and the infrastructure owned by the state.
riiga no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2015, 07:24 PM   #2328
john69

Likes (Received): 7

The level of taxation is ridiculous on the toll roads
john69 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2015, 08:06 PM   #2329
Spikespiegel
Used Registrant

Likes (Received): 27

I find it absurd that Sweden taxes me for passing through Gothenburg. I get that they want to reduce the traffic through the City, but why the hell haven't they built a ringbind?

The motorway through Gothenburg is nothing more than a glorified city road with it's 50 kph speedlimit, and shitty signage.
Spikespiegel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2015, 08:33 PM   #2330
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2079

What's about Marieholmstunneln in Gothenburg. It seems to be a motorway- or expressway-like road, isn't it?

http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marieholmstunneln
http://www.trafikverket.se/Privat/Pr...eholmstunneln/

Is there any reason why it's not in this list: http://www.angena.se/road/future.php?

Which (official) numbering does the road have, E6 or E45?

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2015, 09:11 PM   #2331
OulaL

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
They will probably activate a debt recovery agency, like Euro Parking Collections (which is used by the Norwegian toll road operators).

As mentioned before, this whole scheme is probably set up out of principles, not to collect any meaningful net revenue. It may operate at a loss even. The tolls for the Motala Bridge are € 0.50. Sending a letter is more expensive.
Only one letter per month, regardless how much tolled crossings have occurred during that month.

Of course, for tourists with only one crossing that's pretty useless, but as said, it's a matter of principle.
Old February 28th, 2015, 10:10 PM   #2332
riiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
What's about Marieholmstunneln in Gothenburg. It seems to be a motorway- or expressway-like road, isn't it?

Which (official) numbering does the road have, E6 or E45?
From what I can tell it doesn't have any numbering. The documents doesn't make any mention of it, just refers to the road as Marieholmstunneln.
Old February 28th, 2015, 11:26 PM   #2333
Ingenioren

Likes (Received): 584

Lv155 perhaps...
Old March 1st, 2015, 10:46 AM   #2334
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2079

Ok. But frankly speaking, it's a new motorway-like road, isn't it?

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2015, 12:19 PM   #2335
riiga

Yes.
Old March 1st, 2015, 12:21 PM   #2336
Nils de Gothia

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
Ok. But frankly speaking, it's a new motorway-like road, isn't it?
Yes. It will connect the motorways E6. E45 and E20. Even if E45 doesnt have motorway status no slow traffic/pedestrians can be allowed. The road number is not very relevant, motorway status is not reserved for certain road numbers. My guess ist that no road number will be shown, and that the stretch will receive an E6.xx or E45.xx number for administrational purposes.
Nils de Gothia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2015, 07:57 PM   #2337
OulaL

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by OulaL View Post
Driving from Värtan to Norrtull (and continuing to, say, Norra stationsgatan) using old streets is free. And yes, accessing E4 from Norrtull is tolled.

However, as Norra Länken is not finished, all traffic from Värtan to E4 southbound must exit and go via Norrtull, according to this map http://www.trafikverket.se/PageFiles..._2014_2015.pdf. The big question is, exactly where in the new tunnel the tolling point is located.
I checked it out today. Toll stations have been built bot not yet used when entering the motorway from Värtan, and also when exiting it at Roslagstull. (It was sunday so of course there was no toll anyway, but in these two places the "road toll" symbols were crossed with orange tape.) I assume they will be taken into use when the tunnel connecting to E4 southbound / E20 is finished.

Apparently the Lidingö rule also becomes obsolete, as one can take the motorway from Lidingö to E4 without passing any toll stations?

On the other hand, traffic going from Värtan to Roslagstull/Norrtull (and not E4) will then, as I suspected, be charged twice - or use the old streets for free.
Old March 16th, 2015, 05:41 PM   #2338
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Norra länken, Stockholm

Southbound E4 traffic is now driving through the Northern Link tunnel. Northbound traffic will be undergrond by early 2016.

http://www.trafikverket.se/Aktuellt/...en-oppen-igen/

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Swede, dj4life liked this post
Old March 17th, 2015, 02:28 AM   #2339
Shifty2k5

Likes (Received): 157

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Southbound E4 traffic is now driving through the Northern Link tunnel. Northbound traffic will be undergrond by early 2016.

http://www.trafikverket.se/Aktuellt/...en-oppen-igen/
And 1,5 years ahead of schedule too! Amazing work by Trafikverket.
Shifty2k5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2015, 07:52 AM   #2340
MattiG

Likes (Received): 612

Bacteria Eating the Sundsvall Bridge

The recently opened brigde on E4 in Sundsvall is facing a surprising problem. A sort of bacteria is causing the underwater steel parts of the bridge to get rusty much more quickly than expected. That bacteria lives in brackish water having a low salt concentration. The Swedish road authority is seeking a method to solve the problem.

http://www.nyteknik.se/nyheter/bygg/...cle3892518.ece
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote