daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 3rd, 2015, 10:19 PM   #2361
Mirror's Edge
Free the Nordic people!

Likes (Received): 2638

The new flyover bridges on the motorway entrance to Malmö is causing some roads to be closed from April 6 to Dec 2015.
This

To this

Short film.
http://video.malmo.se/?bctid=1683243363001

Project page http://malmo.se/spillepengen

riiga, SRC_100 liked this post
Mirror's Edge no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 5th, 2015, 11:58 PM   #2362
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Likes (Received): 1408

On the road again...

Remember that old Wille Nelson song ?

I drove from Linköping today. Sun in Östergötland and grey rainy weather in Stockholm.

E4 somewhere around Nyköping

Exit Stigtomta - Jönåker

116km from Stockholm

Overtaking a truck from Celje, Slovenia.

Next stop Nyköpingsbro

Quite a lot of people at this rest area at easter.

Parking for trucks and buses.
NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2015, 03:45 PM   #2363
Shifty2k5

Likes (Received): 157

Looks like they repaved lots of new stretches on the E4 in södermanland last year, judging by your photos. I remember the tarmac north of Norrköping and around Nyköping being in a very bad shape the last time I drove there, two years ago! Nice pictures BTW

NordikNerd liked this post
Shifty2k5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2015, 08:02 PM   #2364
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Likes (Received): 1408

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifty2k5 View Post
Looks like they repaved lots of new stretches on the E4 in södermanland last year, judging by your photos. I remember the tarmac north of Norrköping and around Nyköping being in a very bad shape the last time I drove there, two years ago! Nice pictures BTW
I think they put on new asphalt quite regularly.

The E4 at Södertälje today. People returning to Stockholm after the easter holidays. Queues started at Järna.
I'm glad that I went the other way.
NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2015, 02:09 PM   #2365
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

E6 Malmö - Helsingborg

I had some footage left over from Sweden. This is a video of E6 along the Öresund from Malmö to Helsingborg. It's around 60 kilometers in under 10 minutes.

ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2015, 07:34 PM   #2366
dj4life

Likes (Received): 48596

Your videos are great! I have checked your page in YouTube and was pleasantly surprise by the amount of videos. Thank you for a great job, Chris.

ChrisZwolle liked this post
dj4life no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2015, 07:39 PM   #2367
Mirror's Edge
Free the Nordic people!

Lucky there was no back up that morning, looks like a smooth drive, the section Landskrona south to Malmö really needs another lane soon, but this region is severely neglected by the government.
Old April 16th, 2015, 06:12 PM   #2368
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A new video update of the Norra Länken project. It has English subtitles.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Luki_SL, Victorinus, Festin liked this post
Old April 17th, 2015, 04:44 PM   #2369
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj4life View Post
Your videos are great! I have checked your page in YouTube and was pleasantly surprise by the amount of videos. Thank you for a great job, Chris.
Thanks. I've been filming roads for 8 years but I never got as much footage as 2014, having driven both to Scandinavia and Southern France. I got 280 GB of video on those two trips, plus other shorter trips to Germany and within the Netherlands. I try to upload one or two videos per week.

I'm almost through my 2014 footage, which is a good thing because the 2015 road filming season starts in a few weeks for me. I like to film as much as possible with summer-like landscapes (i.e. trees with leaves).

I still have some footage of Sweden, most notably E18 through Karlstad and some more of E6 along the coast.

The problem with filming through dense forests is that Youtube processing tends to degrade video quality due to the trees close to the road. I've seen people with $ 800 cameras having issues with that as well. On the other hand routes like E6 north of Uddevalla are nice to film, with a park-like setting and trees far enough from the road. Two-lane roads are the worst to film through wooded terrain.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

dj4life liked this post
Old April 18th, 2015, 03:35 AM   #2370
Uppsala

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Thanks. I've been filming roads for 8 years but I never got as much footage as 2014, having driven both to Scandinavia and Southern France. I got 280 GB of video on those two trips, plus other shorter trips to Germany and within the Netherlands. I try to upload one or two videos per week.

I'm almost through my 2014 footage, which is a good thing because the 2015 road filming season starts in a few weeks for me. I like to film as much as possible with summer-like landscapes (i.e. trees with leaves).

I still have some footage of Sweden, most notably E18 through Karlstad and some more of E6 along the coast.

The problem with filming through dense forests is that Youtube processing tends to degrade video quality due to the trees close to the road. I've seen people with $ 800 cameras having issues with that as well. On the other hand routes like E6 north of Uddevalla are nice to film, with a park-like setting and trees far enough from the road. Two-lane roads are the worst to film through wooded terrain.
You should come back to Sweden again after 6 July and run on the E6 up to the Norwegian border. After 6 July is the E6 completely finished so it's motorway all the way to Oslo and on into Norway. This makes also Norway to a part of the continental motorway network
Uppsala no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2015, 06:03 AM   #2371
OulaL

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uppsala View Post
This makes also Norway to a part of the continental motorway network
... earlier than Stockholm. Are the plans to finish the missing section of E4 through Kronoberg?
Old April 18th, 2015, 07:27 AM   #2372
Uppsala

Quote:
Originally Posted by OulaL View Post
... earlier than Stockholm. Are the plans to finish the missing section of E4 through Kronoberg?
The road through Kronoberg is an expressway quite similar to a motorway, but not full standard. Its 2+1, if it was a 2+2 it was a real motorway. All of the sliproads and other thins there have motorway-standard.

But there is a plan to rebuild it to a real motorway. But for the moment we dont know if they start 2016 or 2017. When they rebuilding that part they only make the road wider.

But I agree, the should made that part earlier.
Old April 18th, 2015, 06:34 PM   #2373
Mirror's Edge
Free the Nordic people!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OulaL View Post
Makes sense, Oslo is way more important as a hub for Norway then Stockholm is to Sweden.
Old April 18th, 2015, 07:15 PM   #2374
ChrisZwolle
Road user

On the other hand, E4 near Ljungby is a fairly decent standard road, a controlled-access 2+1 road, whereas E6 near Tanum is just a two-lane country road. It's a really small gap that's still missing. But I saw police doing speed checks there.
Old April 18th, 2015, 08:05 PM   #2375
Uppsala

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
On the other hand, E4 near Ljungby is a fairly decent standard road, a controlled-access 2+1 road, whereas E6 near Tanum is just a two-lane country road. It's a really small gap that's still missing. But I saw police doing speed checks there.

The last real gap to Stockholm was at E4 near Markaryd. That part was finished at 26 June 2006
Old April 21st, 2015, 07:35 PM   #2376
RV

Likes (Received): 275

It would be really interesting, if Sweden was interested in building a motorway to Finland (through Åland to Turku) - after all there are longer bridges in the world. Of course, this is not realistic because of environmentalist, but I think it would make sense.
RV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2015, 02:27 AM   #2377
riiga

Likes (Received): 126

It's an interesting idea for sure.

The best route between Sweden and Åland is probably outside Hallstavik, north of Norrtälje, connecting to Eckerö. The tunnel would be about 40-45 km in length.

From Åland to Finland is a bit trickier in terms of deciding the route. Here's a few suggestions:

Red are tunnels, blue are bridges. Length of segments:
  1. Vårdö-Kumlinge: 18 km
  2. Vårdö-Enklinge: 18 km
  3. Kumlinge-Enklinge: 4 km
  4. Kumlinge-Härlot: 23 km
  5. Enklinge-Pålholm: 12 km
  6. Nottholm-Pieskeri: 9 km
  7. Kallasholmen-Norrskata: 5 km (can be replaced with bridges I see now after uploading the pic)
  8. Härlot-Korpo: 6 km
  9. Innamoo-Aaslaluoto: 7 km

Possible options are:
  • A: 2 -> 5 -> 6, total 39 km
  • B: 1 -> 3 -> 5 -> 6, total 43 km
  • C: 1 -> 4 -> 7 -> 9, total 53 km
  • D: 1 -> 4 -> 8, total 47 km
Personally I'd for the first or last option, giving a complete tunnel length of 79-92 km.
riiga no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2015, 05:28 AM   #2378
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV View Post
It would be really interesting, if Sweden was interested in building a motorway to Finland (through Åland to Turku) - after all there are longer bridges in the world. Of course, this is not realistic because of environmentalist, but I think it would make sense.
I don't know, it might be not realistic because of price, for every person Trafikverket could just buy SAS air ticket
Old April 22nd, 2015, 10:23 AM   #2379
MattiG

Likes (Received): 615

Quote:
Originally Posted by riiga View Post
It's an interesting idea for sure.
But why would Sweden be interested in building such a road?

The idea is not new. Rather high-profile organizations were planning a fixed link between Åland islands the the mainline Finland in 1950's and 1960's.

The plans included two options and they were based on bridges and causeways. They faced a strong criticism for environmental reasons. The archipelago is a very sensitive area.

The plans were gradually abandoned as the ferry connections improved quickly: They are reliable, they have a lot of capacity, they run all-year-round and the prices are moderate.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2015, 08:47 PM   #2380
Autobahnftw

Likes (Received): 7

I think this is some new information about the östra länken, it is nice to see that they are working with it
http://www.utanbilenstannarsverige.s...ig-forbindelse

Press the link on the bottom to read the document
Autobahnftw no está en línea   Reply With Quote